Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kinning Park
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Districts
Pages: 1, 2, 3
GG
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Kinning Park

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Kinning Park

GG.
Steve Brown
I lived at 212 Seaward street 1968 - early 70s, I have great memories of that time, 'wee' mary's shop, the hub of the street. I went to Our Lady & St Margarets School, had a girlfriend called Rosemary whom I still have fond memories of.
I have tried to locate anyone from Seawaed Street (top end opposite the whisky bond, as it was then.) It seems like everyone from that era never existed, ive not been able to find anyone, but what a great and unforgettable part of my life, Kinning park ... brilliant!
Steve
Tommy D
I remember Seward St although I lived on Mclellan St. I went to the Mags primary.Left in '59/60. Had a pal from Seward St. called Chuck Ripley.
ninab
QUOTE (Tommy D @ 24th Apr 2008, 09:36am) *
I remember Seward St although I lived on Mclellan St. I went to the Mags primary.Left in '59/60. Had a pal from Seward St. called Chuck Ripley.

My ex-husband and his family all lived at 84 McClellan Street. Ringland McRoberts....Did you know him or his brother Alex?
Robert Brown
Lived at 7 Sleads street KP and went to Lambhill street school ,would like to contace people who lived In Sleads Street
*Steve*
Best of luck Rob hope you find someone from Slead Street? I havent managed to find anyone from Seaward Street ....yet!
*Steve*
QUOTE (Robert Brown @ 28th Sep 2009, 10:53pm) *
Lived at 7 Sleads street KP and went to Lambhill street school ,would like to contace people who lived In Sleads Street

Hi Rob best of luck in finding anyone that lived in Sleads Street, I lived in Seaward Street opposite the bondie (late 1960) and have not managed to contact anyone I knew, I don't know if "Wee Mary's shop was there when you lived in Sleads Street, the hub of the street.
glezgaman
i was born in 1936 at 81 plantation st 1up above (The Cock O The North) pub on the corner of Craigiehall st. a couple of other family's at 81 were Archie & Kitty McDowall and family and the Hunters. My uncle Sammy married Gina Mills and lived at 24 Plantation st. My aunty Mary&uncle Bobby Craig lived at 41 Blackburn st. also my uncle George & aunty Gracie davidson lived at the Paisley rd West end of Maclean st. not forgetting my cousins the McAlpines at 94 Plantation st
Hughie Gourlay
Gallusbisom
I lived at 248 The Paisley Rd. and my G'parents lived at 66 the Paisley Rd. W. I had aunts and uncles living in Plantation St., McLellan St. Howwood (?) St. Snowden St. etc. Cousins went to Lambhill St., now turned into flats I believe) I went to Scotland St., only saved by being turned into a Museum. I lot of my Mum and Dad's older relatives stayed in and all around the area.

Some of the names that may ring sound familiar: Barbour, Kelt, Musgrove, Currie, Carlton, Bannerman,Hughes, Rennie, Thompson and many more.
Alex MacPhee
Oh my word, Kinning Park, what a lot of street names coming back on reading these posts!

I always loved the name 'Kinning Park'. It meant 'home', and where my mum and dad brought up five children in a room and kitchen. When I was born, in 1950, my parents lived at 15 Blackburn Street, and not long after, they moved to a room and kitchen in 19 Blackburn Street. It was the close next to a wee shop run by a lady called Chrissie O'Donnell or McDonald or something like that, along with her daughter Jenny Crawford. Across the road, there was a grocer's shop, run by Mrs Annie Aird. At the corner of Blackburn St and the Govan Road, there was a shop called the Yankee Magazine Shop.

My aunt and uncle (my mum and her sister had married two brothers) lived in McLean St, and my paternal grandfather lived in Craigiehall St. My maternal grandmother, Maggie Lindsay, lived at 69 Paisley Road West, next door to 'Curleys', a food shop, where I remember queuing up and getting butter loose by the half pound from big barrels, patted into shape by the shop assistant, and wrapped in greaseproof paper. That was a special treat, for in those days, all we could afford was margarine (funny how they never call it margarine these days, it's 'spread').

I went to school at Our Lady & St Margaret's, in Stanley street, in what were called the 'huts', which were a kind of annex to the main school. My happiest schooldays were in that wee school, with a succession of lovely teachers, flowers of Scottish spinsterhood - for they were mostly spinsters dedicated to their children. My favourite of all was Miss McGuinness, and I still remember her kindly face and silvery hair.

Our family left Kinning Park in 1957 for the newer post-war housing estates springing up in places like Pollok. But strangely, my heart was always somewhere in Kinning Park, SW1. A few years ago, on returning to Glasgow, I went there to see the streets I grew up in, and the wee school where my education started. Things have to change, I know, but how sad that it was all gone. The site of the wee school had been razed, and where in my memory I was looking through the school gates and seeing scores of bairns in short trousers running and turning and birling and swinging and playing at being Spitfires shooting down the Jerries, there was nothing but wee houses. It's irrational, I know, but I felt a kind of sadness that part of my history had been bulldozed into oblivion.

I have no photographs from that time. And if any others who have history in Kinning Park have any pictures of the streets from that time, it would be wonderful to see them.

Alex
carmella
Alex
if you go to Virtual Mitchell and do a search you'll come up with 76 photos of Kinning Park - many will be way before your time, but up to the 50s and 60s I bet some of the old buildings, and certainly the streets will still be the same. You'll find as you go through that there are pictures from 1900 mixed in with those of 1964 or 1970 etc., no definite order.

If you just keep clicking 'next' you'll get up to 1964 and beyond.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...iO30=&pg=27

I also found 2 or 3 of your old school.
Gallusbisom
Alex, I may have a couple of old pictures of the plots behind McLellan St., (you can just make out the wee swing park that was there in one but the other is of a cousin with the family dog and not very focused. I will see if I can locate them but it will take a wee while. I will also ask my cousin, if she has any. She was just a few years younger than my Mum and sort of inherited all the old pics. But she also stayed in McLellan St., although her married name was Anderson. My g'aunt Helen (Nellie) stayed down near the bottom end, first floor. She was the one that walked to McLellan St. the night of the Clydebank blitz. Other names I remember from around there are, Hughes, Heart,Sinclair, McKay, Skinner, Bilsland. My, the more you think, the more you remember. I also have an old picture of our class at Scotland St. with a lot of names on it, will try and dig that out too. Have to dig into the family tree and I haven't done that for a while. Do you remember the lady who had the dairy, I think on the south side of The Paisley Rd. W just past 66 who used to give Xmas parties at her house, which was across the street and a wee bit further up. The picture halls were numerous, with the Lorne, Capital, Corky, Mosspark, Aldwich and Westway all coming to mind. We used to walk from the Paisley Rd. as far as the Aldwich and Westway on fine Saturday afternoons. There used to be a great little bakery on the same street as the Cessnock subway but you had to cross the Paisley Rd. to get to it. By the way, just a wee family note, my Uncle John spent nearly all his demob money in the little cafe just to the right, as you came out of the close at 66, well at least, that it the family story. Well he also bought a juke box! By the way another name is Agnes McLean, I did not know her but her Mum was a great friend of my Gran's.
tradeston lassie
Hi Gallusbisom, I was interested in your names, I am researching my husbands family tree, and he has Musgroves, and Barbours, in his tree, his gggrandmother was a Catherine McGinnis wo had a daughter Isabella who married a William Musgrove, would this be connected to you, would love to hear from you, I am a Tradeston lassie myself, but he his frojm govan
eieio
I was looking for old photos of Kinning Park when I stumbled on this website. Just like Gallusbisom, my granny also lived at 66 Paisley Rd West and all six members of my family were born there...before,like Alex McPhee, we were all farmed out to Pollok. I have very clear memories of the place...my granny's name was McLellan and her next door neighbour was Mrs Stirling. They were great pals ..Mrs Stirling was in The Orange Order and my granny was a devout Catholic...but every year we all, granny included,hung out the window at 66 to wave to Mrs Stirling when "The Walk" came past. We were on the top floor and I think the Hislpos were there...and I remember Susan and Bill McDonald who had a daughter Aileen and a son Iain (he had Cerebral Palsy}lived on the ground floor at the entrance to the close. The Crescent Bar was next door (on the corner of Rutland Crescent). I also remember Curleys (oddly enough for exactly the same reasons as Alex McPhee) as well as The Criterion Cafe up near The Toll and Galls the haberdashery shop....as well as The Gaumont ? or was it The Odeon that later became The Irish Club for a while....The Old Toll Bar, Woolies,The Clachan....boy are the memories coming back now !
I haven't been in Glasgow for 32 years so maybe some of the places are still there. Will be back in August...but I don't suppose I will recognise much of it.
I would love to see any photos that anyone has of the area (I know about Mitchell site) When I was there in '78 I was determined to get a photo of 66 before they pulled it down....but never managed it...hence my search.....progress is diabolical intit !
*Steve*
FAO eieio

Saw that you were looking for old photos of KP, ive just found what looks to be a good site, in the process of going through it myself ... "urbanglasgow.co.uk"(various interesting links to other sites).
Noticed a few good photos of KP, theres a good one of Admiral Street (circa 1973) you can clearly see Jim Baxters pub, I worked in the butchers shop that was there, "Robert Edwards" the newsagents shop that was next to the butchers shop was owned Robert Edwards brother, you can see the two steps you had to climb to enter the shop, not sure when these shops closed but it was a crackin place to work and live, I lived in Seaward Street, hope this is useful to you.
Regards
Steve.
forgot to mention......
Theres some gr8 photos of the Gorbals/govanhill and various other areas either on or using links from urbanglasgow.co.uk... happy hunting!
Steve
eieio
Steve,

The Urban Govanhill site was great....I managed to find a few photos of the bottom of Rutland Crescent and you can just see my granny's window in the corner ! Thanks for that.
*Steve*
eieio

glad u liked the site, goin through the site theres lots of links to all sorts of areas as I am finding out.
regards
Steve
mrssnuffy
Hi Steve. Can you tell me exactly where on "urbanglasgow" you found the photo of Admiral St. Thanks
*Steve*
FAO mrssnuffy

Hi!
To find Admiral Street/Paisley Road West
1 enter the urbanglasgow.co.uk site
2 click the search tab(top of page on the right.... ish?)
3 type in fergie's bar(make sure you click the "search in urbanglasgow" and not the web)
4 scroll down to "Glasgow In The 1970s-Tradeston to Govan" click link.
5 enjoy streapadairs photos as you scroll down to Paisley Road West/Admiral Street......
happy hunting!

Regards
Steve.
There is another KP site on 11 Stanley Place where a few ex pats have been posting looking for relatives/friends etc......
mrssnuffy
Mrs Snuffy here. Many thanks for info. Found Admiral Street but not the side I wanted. Lived above the Old Toll Bar with my grandparents in the dark ages!!
d.c.
Have you seen this one mrssnuffy:
http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...amp;t=4&x=1
mrssnuffy
Great pic. A bit before my time but still brings back happy memories. Thanks.
campsie
I was born in Kelvingrove, then spent my first two years in Aberdeenshire before coming to live with my grandparents Annie and Hugh Duncan a 9 McLean St. there was a family called Bell in our close who had a daughter called Rena. Also remember Margaret McGowan who lived a up next close.
Big John Waugh who worked on the docks lived in our close with his lovely wife Betty who I called 'Auntie' as that was the way then.

I went to Lorne St., School and my teacher was Miss Ralston who was great. But every day Rena Bell and Margaret McGowan after school would bully me all the way home, even though I knew they would be waiting for me I still went to school as I loved it so much. I think being an only child had something to do with it.

Later moved to the Gorbals after my grandparents died.
campsie
I was born in Kelvingrove, then spent my first two years in Aberdeenshire before coming to live with my grandparents Annie and Hugh Duncan a 9 McLean St. there was a family called Bell in our close who had a daughter called Rena. Also remember Margaret McGowan who lived a up next close.
Big John Waugh who worked on the docks lived in our close with his lovely wife Betty who I called 'Auntie' as that was the way then.

I went to Lorne St., School and my teacher was Miss Ralston who was great. But every day Rena Bell and Margaret McGowan after school would bully me all the way home, even though I knew they would be waiting for me I still went to school as I loved it so much. I think being an only child had something to do with it.

Later moved to the Gorbals after my grandparents died.
JJ30
Hi
I am researching my family tree at the moment and came across this site for Kinning Park. All of my dad's side came from KP. His name was Michael (known as Mick) McCall. They stayed at Blackburn St, Plantation St, Paisley Rd West. He had sisters Isa, Betty, Ellen and brothers Willie and John. I believe my granny Elizabeth (Lizzy) McCall had a shop on Plantation St but don't know if this is true. Would like to hear from anyone who remembers them?

Thanks
sensibleshoes
QUOTE (Steve Brown @ 29th Mar 2008, 09:51pm) *
I lived at 212 Seaward street 1968 - early 70s, I have great memories of that time, 'wee' mary's shop, the hub of the street. I went to Our Lady & St Margarets School, had a girlfriend called Rosemary whom I still have fond memories of.
I have tried to locate anyone from Seawaed Street (top end opposite the whisky bond, as it was then.) It seems like everyone from that era never existed, ive not been able to find anyone, but what a great and unforgettable part of my life, Kinning park ... brilliant!
Steve

I knew Brown's from Seaward St. They lived in my Aunts building. There were LOTS of boys and 3 wee girls.
Kenny Hill
I lived at number 20 Sleads Street (in the close) I lived there from 1957 (when I was 1 year-old) until we got moved because they were demolishing the building, I think that was when I was about 11 or 12. Next door neighbour was Mrs McCulloch who worked in Gray Dunn as did my mother, and Mrs Thompson (everyone called her 'auld granny Thompson' ).....Her grandkids lived with her....The Sweeny's....John Sweeny, I remember the most.

I remember the Arnotts who lived across the road at 17 (I think) I played football with Ian and he had an older brother Walter. There was also the Steele's and the frazers who stayed at number 21. I remember Archie Steele and his cousin Davy Fraser. We all used to play football in the street using the 'milky' garage door as a goal for three and in. We also used to climb the fence at Jedd Brothers paper work and play among the bales of waste magazines and newspapers.....(some nice magazines in there by the way.....heheh wink.gif )

I remember a John McMillan who lived next close at number 18 and a Jim Meechan who's father was blind who lived in the close at number 22.

I remember we used to have some great games of football playing against the boys from Stanley Street....We used to play those games on vermont street using the street lamp posts on opposite sides of the street as the goal posts.

Happy days indeed.
wheeghee
Anyone drink in the Red Lion Paisley Road Weat biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

MrsSnuffy Admiral Street showing the "The Old Toll Bar" not sure of the year though?
d.c.
That looks fairly recent.

Perhaps too late for MrsSnuffy now, but this image shows the view from Admiral Street:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Admiral+Stre...cbp=12,315,,0,0
Beth Wilson
Alex MacPhee,
You wrote long ago, but in researching my family I cannot believe the coincidence.
My Grandfathers family live at 19 Blackburn Street in Govan since the late 1800's to the mid 40's.
My great grandmother was Sarah Young. My grandfather was Mungo McAllister. I believe there was a Hettie, Katie, Sadie, Georgie, Jimmy, Archie and Alec. My grandfather moved to Canada with my mom and aunt and Nana in the mid 50's and we have lost a large majority of oor tree. DO you happen to have a pic of 19 Blackburn.
If anyone else know the family, we are looking to piece a few things together,
Cheers,
BEth
Andy Hamilton
QUOTE (Steve Brown @ 29th Mar 2008, 10:59pm) *
Steve

yingying
i was born in the suffering general in govan i grew up in MIDDLESEX STREET right beside the nut and bolt factory i cant remember the number i lived beside the YOUNGERS & the McINTYRES we lived across the road from wee TOMMY & JOHN CRAIG both of them played football professionaly tommy was a great wee player so was john we used to play in the adventure playground it was at the scotland st end an old piece of ground with an old bus in it we spent hours in it every dayi went to the wee maggies we had an outside toilet if you went to the toilet at night time you would kick the door to scare away any rats and hold the door shut with an old piece of string so nobody could pull the door open we flitted to avon street in tradeston MANAGOBBY it had an inside toilet modern living at last we had nothing but they were great times GOODNIGHT may your god bless you a KPnut
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (Beth Wilson @ 27th Jul 2011, 07:23am) *
Alex MacPhee,
You wrote long ago, but in researching my family I cannot believe the coincidence.
My Grandfathers family live at 19 Blackburn Street in Govan since the late 1800's to the mid 40's.
My great grandmother was Sarah Young. My grandfather was Mungo McAllister. I believe there was a Hettie, Katie, Sadie, Georgie, Jimmy, Archie and Alec. My grandfather moved to Canada with my mom and aunt and Nana in the mid 50's and we have lost a large majority of oor tree. DO you happen to have a pic of 19 Blackburn.
If anyone else know the family, we are looking to piece a few things together,
Cheers,
BEth

Beth,

I don't know if you're still registered, and can see this, but I've only just noticed your post, as I've not been able to log in to this forum for some time.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of 19 Blackburn St, or Blackburn St at all. I've been searching for a long time, but with no success yet.

I can't remember all the names in number 19, but I do remember the names Boyd, Friel, Crawford, and Brown, if that's of any help.

Alex
TeeHeeHee
Am I glad to see you back, Alex. biggrin.gif
Gonnae no' stay away so long, please. wink.gif biggrin.gif
yingying
to tradeston lassie i seen you were wondering where the cunyon was you would walk up past the maxwell park and just before you came to the pollok estate park the cunyon was on the right hand side of the road it was an amazing place to play at there were 7 hills some small some large it was great riding over them on your bike there was also a large flooded part where we would make rafts out of old doors or large lumps of a cork type of material that was dumped there it was better than going to the boring makie park i have some wonderful memories of playing there as a young boy yours truely joe dyer a tradeston boy
stratson
QUOTE (Gallusbisom @ 16th Nov 2009, 05:59pm) *
I lived at 248 The Paisley Rd. and my G'parents lived at 66 the Paisley Rd. W. I had aunts and uncles living in Plantation St., McLellan St. Howwood (?) St. Snowden St. etc. Cousins went to Lambhill St., now turned into flats I believe) I went to Scotland St., only saved by being turned into a Museum. I lot of my Mum and Dad's older relatives stayed in and all around the area.

Some of the names that may ring sound familiar: Barbour, Kelt, Musgrove, Currie, Carlton, Bannerman,Hughes, Rennie, Thompson and many more.

Hi G.B. just reading K.P. posts. The Bannerman family are my relatives. Their mother was sister of my mother. smile.gif
Castlegirl
QUOTE (Steve Brown @ 29th Mar 2008, 11:39pm) *
Steve

I'm a highly experienced novice so don't know if this will reach Steve Brown's post. Did you have lots of brothers and I think 3 wee sisters? And Andy Hamilton did you go out with one of the Campbell girls? I think her name was Linda. If you're the very same Andy you had a moped bike? If you're not the same Andy sorry for my mistakes.
Castlegirl
I was told an old cine film exists of K P, but I don't know if it's true and I've never come across it . Apparently an old resident took the film from around the early 50's to K P's demise. If anyone has heard of this film or could pass on a copy I'd be very grateful as I've not been able to find it.
Robert Fisher
QUOTE (Steve Brown @ 29th Mar 2008, 09:39pm) *
Steve

alexander3544
QUOTE (Gallusbisom @ 16th Nov 2009, 03:39pm) *

I lived at Paisley Rd Toll, was the Barbour you mentioned a lad called Graham from Plantation St. Also you mentioned Currie was that Willie Currie who went to Lorne St and Lambhill St.schools.

Alex Marshall

alexander3544@hotmail.com
rumcdonald
QUOTE (*Steve* @ 24th Mar 2010, 12:04pm) *
FAO eieio

Saw that you were looking for old photos of KP, ive just found what looks to be a good site, in the process of going through it myself ... "urbanglasgow.co.uk"(various interesting links to other sites).
Noticed a few good photos of KP, theres a good one of Admiral Street (circa 1973) you can clearly see Jim Baxters pub, I worked in the butchers shop that was there, "Robert Edwards" the newsagents shop that was next to the butchers shop was owned Robert Edwards brother, you can see the two steps you had to climb to enter the shop, not sure when these shops closed but it was a crackin place to work and live, I lived in Seaward Street, hope this is useful to you.
Regards
Steve.

I've tried for years to find old pics of Mair St Plantation, where my husband was born..in the Thomson household. I've found Zilch!! Also trying to find an old pic of St Margarets Chapel on Stanley St. I've googled the street, but am not sure what I'm seeing. What is the smaller bldg beside the school..the one that's half demolished? Is St Margarets chapel gone??
To think I use to work in Gray Dunns in the mid 60's...wish I'd taken a few snaps then!!! Ruth
*steve*
All Kinning Parkers,

Just been round the place, sad to see all the places that have been destroyed with the M8 but the old Kinning Park is still there.... long may it be so....
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (Beth Wilson @ 27th Jul 2011, 05:53am) *
Alex MacPhee,
My great grandmother was Sarah Young. My grandfather was Mungo McAllister.

As a slight follow-up to this -- even if Beth is not reading this board any longer -- I had a delightful lady called Mags contact me here recently about 19 Blackburn Street. Although it turned out we're not related, despite overlapping family names, I'd occasion to refer to the old 1914 Valuation Rolls to see who lived at this address around that time, and one of the tenants was an Archibald McAllister, listed as a boiler cleaner by trade. Not sure, obviously, what the relationship is here to Mungo McAllister, but it might be of interest to Beth.
Michael Connolly
I came across this great site when looking up Our Lady & St Margarets Church. My father went to the primary school not long after it opened. His family lived at 78 McClellan Street at that time. His mother died while they were living there and is buried in Lamb Hill Cemetery. He left Glasgow in the late 1920's and never got back until the mid 1970's. Pop and his mates would go to the Clutha Ironworks and aggravate the workers until they were chased away. Click to view attachment
cazroline haughian
Hello i was born in 103 mc leans streetcan anyone remember the white rabbit under the grates
Billbhein
QUOTE (*Steve* @ 14th Oct 2009, 12:33pm) *
Best of luck Rob hope you find someone from Slead Street? I havent managed to find anyone from Seaward Street ....yet!

My name is Bill Christie and I was born at 224 Seaward Street, right opposite the Slater & Rogers Whisky Bond in 1958, and we stayed there right through the sixties until we moved to Penilee. I remember Wee Mary's Shop, and playing Rounders in the street, and the time the ball shot straight through the Shop window! We seemed to have a great time playing out most of the time, Jumping the Dykes, Kick the Can, Marbles, Carting, Football, and many more games. I certainly remember the Campbell's, the youngest sister was Mary, we were around the same age, she was the first girl I kissed, although I think she made it easy for me, we were playing Chases, and I managed to catch her three times at the very same spot on the street, and was rewarded with a kiss each time. I remember looking up and there was an auld granny hanging out the window above, laughing her head off!

From my grannies house on the top landing I was allowed to sit on the window ledge and watch the steam trains going into the back of the Whisky Bond. The bond also had the big Dray Horses pulling the Waggons loaded with Johnnie Walker Barrels.

Bill
West Yorshire
*steve*
Hi Bill,
I think you lived in Seaward Street and left before I got there? I lived at 212 Seaward Street circa 1968 on.... I think you must have known a few of the people I knew....McCrae family..McCluskeys..Pattersons...I stayed top floor of 212 and If my memory serves me right Linda Campbell lived on the ground floor? And who could forget wee Mary's? ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.