Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bogies, Skates And Dykes
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Childrens' Comics/Games/Toys
sumac
I was reading Taurus’ reminiscences in Glasgow Words and thought I’d reply here.

I loved walking the dykes. I suppose I was a tomboy when I was young. I used to hurtle in a bogie down the hill in front of St Mungo’s Chapel in Parson Street. You had to turn sharp right at the junction with Glebe Street (just at the right moment) or you would race onto the road. Another great pastime was to roller skate down the same hill, at risk of life, limb and broken ankle.

I loved it! I bet today’s kids would, too.

taurus
skateboards and bungee jumping and riding along the roof of the train to do graffiti,sniffing glue,and worse, took over from all our childhood pastimes. sad to say.
sumac
And that’s the young ones who’re allowed out. A lot of the time, they sit alone in their rooms playing the most awful games on their tablets and laptops. I can honestly say, I would not have given up my active, sociable, outdoor life for today’s solitary, sedentary life.
sumac
Those of you from Townhead would know that the bestestest surface for roller skates was McAuslin Street. It was so smooth, no potholes, no bumps, as smooth as a baby’s bum. Many the stunt we could pull off on that surface. Of course, cars were few and far between in the 50s, early 60s, so we could skate undisturbed for ages. Drivers would just go past us so we didn’t have to stop. Ah, but our skates were far superior to the plastic rubbish of today.
taurus
dead right about the modern skates. I have talked myself up (a lot ) to my family about the hours and hours out skating in a favourite street,so one year my SIL decided to give her wee boy a skate birthdaya party,in a venue newly opened for that sort of thing. Oh bliss,(thought me ),Alex says right come on lets see this skating. They supplied us with these boot skates ,boots ??? ,not in my lifetime,so on they went,me straight in to the fray,fell down right away,hurt myself,and retired immediately. The party clown,me...Gagged me forever about my skating prowess.All I have now is my memories,of the skates with the big black wheels,my mum couldn`t afford the silver double ball bearings or whatever they called them.
ashfield
We had a street that was (mainly) smooth and would have been great for skates, Denmark St in Possil, but I don't remember anyone having them. My older cousin and her husband used to skate both indoors in a big hall and somewhere outdoors in Paisley where her husband lived before they got married. We had moved from Possil by the time he got new ones and gave me his old pair of skates, I guess I was about 10 or 11. The skates had solid steel wheels and were strapped to normal shoes. Once on a bumpy pavement was enough for me to ditch them for ever tongue.gif
sumac
That’s what our skates were like, Ash - solid wheels, metal platform sized up or down with a “key” (one size fits all), straps with buckles. That’s why McAuslin Street was perfect. No teeth-jarring, no toppling over on lumps on the road (there were none).

Taurus, I know what you mean about putting skates on again and your expertise vanishing! Skates in boots?!!! What’s that all about! Today’s plastic things are rubbish. My downfall (literally!) came, not on roller skates but ice skates. Remembering my childhood at lessons at Paisley ice rink, I took my two ice skating when they were wee. My daughter (and now grand-daughter) belong(ed) to ice skating classes. Anyway, my sister and her 3 girls, me and my 2, went to the Magnum ice rink (very sadly, now demolished) one summer, many moons ago. My sister, a good ice skater and dancer in her young days, took to the ice with her girls and my 2. I put one foot on the ice - and fell down.
“Silly Mummy! I just slipped,” I said, as I took to the ice. I couldn’t stay upright at all. The children were very kind and didn’t laugh (much) as Mummy / Auntie left the ice. What shame!

Like you, Taurus, I had told the children how good I was on the ice.

😖
taurus
thats right Ashfield,they went on to the normal shoes,and got tightened with a special key,so a lot of key borrowing went on,and good shoes got ruined,and we were so poor my old shoes were also my good shoes. Must have sent my poor mum demented,but all part of the culture back then. There was a lovely movie in the Geggie ,"Margie",set in olden times,featured a lot of roller skating,me and my pal went to see it more than once,then skated in the street,really believing we were Margie,singing all the songs from the movie.Perhaps by the time you got them,the craze had died out.Fun pastimes came and went very quickly .
Scots Kiwi Lass
I was never much into roller skates, and when I was around 12 or 13, I went with my pal to Paisley Ice Rink on Saturday afternoons.

I do remember having ONE roller skate and suspect I found it in the Midden! Had a bit of fun on the pavement in Hinshaw Street with my one skate and was happy to share it with my wee sister.

My son and daughter both did roller skating for a year or two and I always remind them of what we had, with much eye rolling, etc. wacko.gif
taurus
thats another memory Kiwilass,seeing kids in the street each with one skate,some poor kid had none and a nice pal sharing. not a good experience ,ths was definitely a job for 2 skates.my cousin came from Govan in her gorgeous new bike,I had a shot on it in our street,but my feet never (ever) reached the pedals. Not easy riding a bike without sitting in the saddle tongue.gif
ashfield
Oh Taurus, you've just sparked another memory about bikes. I only started learning to ride a bike when I was around 9 or 10 and it was on my pals newish bike. My pals decided we would all go for a bike run out into the country roads around Cadder woods to Bishopbriggs and back. They negotiated me a loan of a big girls bike (the girl was big, not the bike tongue.gif) , which resembled a tank with everything fitted, bag, mudguards, dynamo, etc. My skills were still moderate to wobbly rolleyes.gif I was so slow that my pals abandoned me at Bishopbriggs when it got dark and I had no idea how to get the dynamo working. It was horrible but I got home eventually, walking most of the way.
bilbo.s
We were not rich but, at the age of 10 , I had 5 bikes - and lots of pals!
taurus
i feel your pain Ashfield,to get abandoned,the thought of never finding your way home to safety. I still feel that today when Tom Tom doesnt do the right thing in the car, panic sets in a bit.
Bilbo,5 bikes ? i think we might have to call you Prince Bilbo.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (taurus @ 31st Oct 2020, 12:16pm) *
i feel your pain Ashfield,to get abandoned,the thought of never finding your way home to safety. I still feel that today when Tom Tom doesnt do the right thing in the car, panic sets in a bit.
Bilbo,5 bikes ? i think we might have to call you Prince Bilbo.

My dad was a collector. One thing was never enough! Later on he had half a dozen black & white tvs, none of which worked. When he died, he left behind a hamper with a collection of more than 400 pipes.
ashfield
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 31st Oct 2020, 09:49am) *
We were not rich but, at the age of 10 , I had 5 bikes - and lots of pals!

You never called, you never wrote, nothing laugh.gif

My pal got a new bike back in the 60s and I'm trying to remember what it was called, it was painted pale blue and pink and might have been named something American? huh.gif I eventually got my older brothers bike when I was 12 or 13 and he passed his driving test. Best of all was borrowing my cousins bike, it was proper racer and went like the clappers cool.gif
taurus
I understand about people collecting,it`s a compulsion,still your dad could have done a lot worse,interesting man,but must have drove your mum mad. We sold a house years ago which we thought was pretty alright ,a really lovely house it was, ,but the people who bought it saw nothing except our 3rd garage,a place for the dad to store 25 years of collecting car parts. that left us speechless.
sumac
Ah, bikes.

I have 1 brother and 4 sisters. My brother got all the good stuff and us 5 girls shared 1 thing between us. Brother had a great big trike when he was wee. None of us girls were allowed near it (except when he went to play with his pals - we quickly grabbed a shot. As he grew, he got a new bike, again sole use. I remember as a teenager getting hold of his big bike (he’s nearly 4 years younger than me). It was a boy’s bike with the bar across. Because I never had a bike, I was terrible at balancing. I pedalled and wobbled and pedalled and shoogled along Armadale Street, but only got a hundred yards or so when I jumped off the saddle to stay upright - right onto the bar. 😭 Oh, the pain!

When brother returned home, I’m sure he knew what I’d done but, being the lovely brother he is (honestly) he said nothing.
taurus
reminds me of my eldest girl. I had 2 girls and 5 years later a boy. we were slightly more affluent ,he had a scooter and when bigger a bike. My adult daughter said .we never had 1 thing that had wheels. Guilt trip,here i come. that particular girl knew how to put the boot in,she`s over 60 now and nothing`s changed. sad.
ashfield
My wife is the youngest in her family and complained that she got the hand me downs from her sisters, including a trike that she fell off twice and broke her arm twice ohmy.gif Anyway, I got her one of these historical photobooks about the area she came from and, lo and behold, one of the photos has her older sister on the demon trike in it tongue.gif
sumac
Your family is famous, Ash!

That reminds me that Google Earth had a picture of Colin, Bonnie our beloved Westie and me walking in the street we used to live in. I must go back in and see if we’re still there!
sumac
Bloomin’ eck! They’ve gone and changed the picture!

😢
taurus
QUOTE (sumac @ 4th Nov 2020, 10:27pm) *
Bloomin’ eck! They’ve gone and changed the picture!

😢

15 miinutes of fame,been and gone. aw ....
sumac
They now have a picture of the back gardens on our old street. The people who bought our house (we are still friendly with them) have created a circle cut into quadrants in the back garden. It looks weird.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.