Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free Gifts In Comics
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Childrens' Comics/Games/Toys
Rab
These were eagerly awaited in my young days as toys were very hard to find with rationing. The boys liked anything that was noisy (of course!) and my favourites were 'Bombs' which were small bomb-shaped bits of metal about 3 inches long. You unscrewed the top bit and put a 'cap' inside then screwed the top back on. You carried it up to the highest stairwell and dropped it 3 0r 4 floors down to the close where the BANG would awaken the dead - then you had to run! Another favourite was a folded piece of triangular cardboard with a brown paper insert which you flicked and it made a cracking sound like a whip. Another annoying toy for the parents to shout about!

Anyone remember any more?
serabash
aye remember then and the wee metal clickers that made a positive noise when you squeezed the one side against the other.
gardenqueen
I do remember the free gifts you mention. Can you imagine the health and safety aspects these days?

My grandchildren get the Cbeebies magazines and the free gifts are quite sophisticated.

I remember free rings, bracelets etc.

I still have a comb (the type used for backcombing popular in the early 60s) that my sister got free in a magazine. It must be around 45 years old and still in great condition.
Rab
QUOTE (serabash @ 19th Sep 2012, 09:16pm) *
aye remember then and the wee metal clickers that made a positive noise when you squeezed the one side against the other.

Yes, they were another great noisemaker - shaped like a frog!
serabash
now I want one laugh.gif hours of fun and pleasure. tongue.gif
Rab
If you have any old comics with the gift inside - they could be worth a lot to collectors! Check this out for example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMASH-1-BRITISH-...=item2ebf32ee5c (I see the seller has the cheek to charge for postage!)
Rab
Easy serabash - http://www.tintoyarcade.com/products/Bull-...er-Tin-Toy.html
serabash
if only we had kept them ohmy.gif
TeeHeeHee
I never got any toys as a kid ... not even the free ones in a comic. sad.gif

Only kiddin'. tongue.gif laugh.gif
GG
I used to buy the 2000AD comic – later renamed as Judge Dredd (currently a film in the pictures). Anyway, I did a quick search and I can remember this wee gem: stickers which you were supposed to stick in various places to make you BIOTRONIC. Can't remember if they worked!

GG.
serabash
5.99 postage do you think I should treat masel laugh.gif
Rab
GG: I'd like that 'eye' bit to stick in the middle of my foreheid please, if you don't need it!' Ta. Rab. laugh.gif
GG
Sorry Rab, I think wee stuck that wan on a dug!

GG.
TeeHeeHee
The Biotronic Leg'll do for me tongue.gif ... how much? laugh.gif
serabash
rab, just tae let you know I got my clicker frog fae ebay uk for 1.98 including postage so am going tae be busy for the time being laugh.gif
wee davy
And what have we got today, then? Just about the LOT!

Even the 'eye' (iphone glasses)
Rab
QUOTE (serabash @ 20th Sep 2012, 01:11pm) *
rab, just tae let you know I got my clicker frog fae ebay uk for 1.98 including postage so am going tae be busy for the time being

Click to view attachment Thanks for my first laugh of the day! laugh.gif
serabash
am thinking about getting my nephew one for his stocking wink.gif he's 22. laugh.gif
Rab
QUOTE (Rab2 @ 19th Sep 2012, 09:09pm) *
These were eagerly awaited in my young days as toys were very hard to find with rationing. The boys liked anything that was noisy (of course!) and my favourites were 'Bombs' which were small bomb-shaped bits of metal about 3 inches long. You unscrewed the top bit and put a 'cap' inside then screwed the top back on. You carried it up to the highest stairwell and dropped it 3 0r 4 floors down to the close where the BANG would awaken the dead - then you had to run! Another favourite was a folded piece of triangular cardboard with a brown paper insert which you flicked and it made a cracking sound like a whip. Another annoying toy for the parents to shout about!

Anyone remember any more?

Found pictures of a couple!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Purplefan
I remember bombs, and the thunder bang. It was given away free in the Hotspur as well as the dandy i think.

One comic i used to get was 2000AD with Judge dread.
The first edition had a plastic spinner, and the comic cost 5p.
One went in auction for 1,000 last month.
wish i had kept my collection.
Ruchazie Rat
One comic i used to get was 2000AD with Judge dread.
The first edition had a plastic spinner, and the comic cost 5p.

This was a common freebie back in the 70`s not only given away in a lot of IPC magazines (Action, Starlord), but with a lot of junior comics from other publishers (The Beano, The Dandy). So too was its` "cousin", the 3 armed boomerang. This one looked a bit like that coat of arms on the back of Isle Of Man coinage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.