Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Apollo Theater
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Buildings
Purplefan
It was across from the pavilion in Renfield street.I saw some great bands in there.
Saw Led Zeppelin for 1.00 in 1971 when it was greens play house.
Saw Alex Harvey band,
was there AC/DC recorded the Jack. Brilliant stage, it was so high. I remember going to see the Jam in 1983. and was in the upper balcony and it was bouncing!
Sad it went as you were so close to the acts.
penny dainty
aw Alex Harvey , status Quo , Sutherland Bros , and several others i forget at this time lol , was a good venue.
Purplefan
don't tell anyone but, i also saw David soul there in 1977. It was fur my girlfriend honest.
Todays big venues are rubbish compared to the building of the apollo.
It was a unique structure, and it had a little venue right up at the top. I saw
slick perform there and strawberry switch blade, and simple minds
fourbytwo
Had been going to Green's for many years...but first time I saw Jethro Tull there, was the first time I noticed the clouds of dust falling from the roof, due to the volume....great stuff...!
Doug1
what a great venue it was. i used to be a steward in the white elephant disco and occasionally would do a stint at the apollo if there was a big band playing. there was always a special atmosphere in the place and the crowds who flocked there to see the acts always had lots of fun. sometimes the acts would come to the white elephant after their apollo gig and i would get to meet them there
Aye it wuz a long time ago..........but still fresh in ma mind wub.gif
pumps100
First time I went I was maybe 13 or 14. Saw a blues revival show with many different acts including Chuck Berry (wish I could remember who else was on this bill). Also Bill Hailey & the Comets (a revival tour maybe in 1971).

Later saw SAHB (Alex Harvey) twice or maybe three times - always outstanding. Rory Gallager (twice). Elvis Costello (twice) once supported by John Cooper Clarke. The Who (we camped out all night for tickets). Jackson Browne (twice). Dr Feelgood (twice). David Bowie 'farewell' tour in June (1977??) for my birthday - had great seats near the front.

Place was always a bit dingy but atmosphere brilliant.

Regards

Ian
pumps100
Found this great site

http://www.glasgowapollo.com/index.asp?s_id=1&m_id=1

You can search by artist to get the dates when you went.

I got a few of mine:-

Bill Haley & The Comets - 10.03.1974

The Who - 15.10. 1975

David Bowie - 20.06.78 (my 21st birthday)

Elvis Costello - 12.01.1979

Regards

Ian
GG
According to yesterday's Evening Times:
It was 27 years ago this week that Paul Weller s Style Council played what would be the last ever gig at Glasgow s famed Apollo Theatre.

Operating from 1973-1985, the venue, formerly Green s Playhouse cinema, was a legendary among touring musicians for the wild antics of the Glasgow audiences.

The first performer to take the stage at the venue was country legend Johnny Cash, who played there in 1973.

Scots/Aussie rockers AC/DC released most of a 1978 Apollo concert as their first live album, If You Want Blood You ve Got It. Listen to it to hear Scottish cheers.

Sadly, after closing in 1985, and following a fire in 1987, the Apollo had to come down; taking two neighbouring shops, West End Misfits and Mr Chips, with it. ...

GG.
pumps100
Article in yesterday's Sunday Herald regarding the Glasgow Apollo.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-ne...-venue.18776310

For those on Facebook you might be interested in the active Glasgow Apollo Facebook group. Anyone can join and it is really good fun and brings back a lot of memories.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/5586711471/

Regards

Ian
Purplefan
There was even a little venue up above.
I remember seeing
strawberry switchblade; Deacon blue; and Altered image
DavidT
I loved the Apollo even though it was falling apart. I saw some acts in there..not all great but the atmosphere made them seen better laugh.gif
Some that I remember were,
Stranglers with Skids as support
Stranglers with Nils Lofgren in support
Be Bop Deluxe
John Cooper Clarke
Eric Clapton (support was Chas and Dave)
Steel Pulse
Simple Minds

There were probably more. I cannae mind so they must have been rotten laugh.gif
Purplefan

Only at the Apollo biggrin.gif
Jupiter
Queued all night outside Clydesdales shop in Sauchiehall Street for tickets for the Rolling Stones at the Apollo,the only time I was in it,great night.
tamhickey
Loved The Apollo and so did the performers, often citing the crowds and the acoustics for their fondness for the place. I saw a huge number of bands there and most, though not all were good, if not excellent. The wee bit above was called Satellite City and you had to walk up hundreds of stairs to get there.This was where the Skids made their Glasgow debut as support to Howard Devoto. The Skids came on first and the crowd loved them then, sadly, Mr.Devoto came on. After about three numbers the boos started and the cry went up "We want the Skids" His band decided to cut their losses and back came the Skids! It was like watching the birth of a new succesful band, and so it proved. Howard Devoto sank without trace and the Skids became amazingly successful worldwide. Great stuff!
Purplefan
Thank you so much,
The satellite. That was bugging me all week. phew.
Purplefan
Another great live act i saw were
Slade. It was 1983 and the boys were awesome.
I love slade live.
And i saw Queen who supported mott the hoople in 1974,
then they came back in 1976.
I also saw Dr. Hook a few times and Ziggy stardust.
Best venue EVER!!!

Status Quo, U.F.O, whitesnake, The list is endless.
Eric clapton was a great gig.
Backcauseway
Re Bill Haley at the Apollo. Was at that gig Shakin Stevens and the Sunsets was the support. The amps cut out half way through rock around the clock but he made up by playing Rocket 88 as an encore! Saw some great and some not so great gigs at the Apollo.
DavidT
smile.gif hence the name Purplefan. Did you ever see them?
Purplefan
I would love to have seen Deep purple live with the MK 2 line up and i did see them live in 2008, (but not the MK2 line up)they were a bit by their sell
by date, and gillan's voice was strained. But it was still bloody awesome.
Would have love to have seen them in their hay day. I had a chance to see them with David coverdale in 1973, but i gave up the tickets to take a girl to see the Bay city rollers.
Blimey what a mistake that was.

What bands did you see at the apollo DavidT ?
cathy52
i seen the stones, bee gees, ike and tina turner , dave dee,dozy beaky mick and titch, cant remember who else. stayed out all night for tickets for the stones, well worth it great times. will have to ask my friend she has a great memory she will remember.
rolleyes.gif
DavidT
PURPLEFAN: "I had a chance to see them (Deep Purple) with David coverdale in 1973, but i gave up the tickets to take a girl to see the Bay city rollers.
Blimey what a mistake that was.

What bands did you see at the apollo DavidT ?
"

We want the Rollers! We want the Rollers! My sister loved them. Funny how I would say I had no interest in them and yet know all the words laugh.gif How did you survive that gig with all the screaming lassies?

I posted my Apollo experience before on here. Pay attention at the back there

QUOTE (DavidT @ 2nd May 2013, 09:29pm) *
I loved the Apollo even though it was falling apart. I saw some acts in there..not all great but the atmosphere made them seen better laugh.gif
Some that I remember were,
Stranglers with Skids as support
Stranglers with Nils Lofgren in support
Be Bop Deluxe
John Cooper Clarke
Steel Pulse
Simple Minds

There were probably more. I cannae mind so they must have been rotten laugh.gif

Sorry...no BCRs hehe
DavidT
QUOTE (cathy52 @ 13th May 2013, 07:10pm) *
i seen the stones, bee gees, ike and tina turner , dave dee,dozy beaky mick and titch, cant remember who else. stayed out all night for tickets for the stones, well worth it great times. will have to ask my friend she has a great memory she will remember.
rolleyes.gif

I envy you seeing the Stones in there. I noticed in an earlier post Jupiter also queued all night for a Stones ticket.
Mind you I'd like to have seen Ike and Tina too.

Of all the buildings Glaswegians miss I think the Apollo comes up in conversation most of all.
Purplefan
How did you survive that gig with all the screaming lassies?

I did not, i'm still in therapy. I thought the boys were pretty good, at least they could actually play.
You could hardly hear the music though.
It sort of remindid me of the David soul gig i went to. It was my sisters birthday and she loved starsky and hutch. so i bought her tickets for her borthday.
The place was packed with screaming girls, just like the rollers.
Noo they couldney fill a phone box.

My fave gig DavidT was Alex Harvey xmas eve concert 1975. It was BRILLIANT.
There is a song called FRAMED Alex dose, and during the song, all the lights go out, and there is only one spot light on him on the stage, and ALex starts to plead his case.
It wis not me, he screams to the audience, i didney do nothing!!!

This voice pips up, "Aye ye did, ye shagged my sister". biggrin.gif
CharingCross
I saw so many bands at the Glasgow Apollo, in the 70s. Elton John, Bay City Rollers (3 times!), David Essex, B A Robertson to name but a few.

Great venue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.