Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glasgow City Chambers
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Buildings
jamcat
The Glasgow city chambers must be one of the most impressive Victorian buildings there is. It is also very beautiful inside and can be visited. it is well worth going to see the inside of this building

Click to view attachment
The city chambers during the day

Click to view attachment
The city chambers during the night
ionnsaigh
Indeed a lovely building, I hear that they have good orgies. wink.gif
jamcat
QUOTE (ionnsaigh @ 16th Feb 2011, 10:54am) *
Indeed a lovely building, I hear that they have good orgies. wink.gif

Aye and a load of pratt's like Pat Lalley
wheeghee
QUOTE (jamcat @ 16th Feb 2011, 11:08am) *
Aye and a load of pratt's like Pat Lalley

AND

Michael Kelly
marydee
They were built when it was agreed that Glasgow had the worst slums in Britain
wheeghee
If you are to be Lord Provost today you must be a paid up member of the Labour Party and a Knight....
jamcat
QUOTE (marydee @ 16th Feb 2011, 01:11pm) *
They were built when it was agreed that Glasgow had the worst slums in Britain

The Gorbals was the biggest slum in Europe
wheeghee
The City Chambers is the biggest brick built building in Glasgow. wub.gif
wheeghee
The City Chambers is the biggest brick built building in Glasgow. wub.gif
jamcat
Buchanan Street Railway StationClick to view attachment
Buchanan Street railway station was one of the most grotesque looking stations in the UK. the station was built as a temporary station in 1849 but would remain unchanged until 1932 when it was rebuilt more or less the same as the original, wooden huts on top of steel girders. The only advancement from the original was the canopies that where fitted over the platforms, these being taken from the then closed station Ardrossan North station. Apart from the ugliness of the building I can remember watching trains coming and going to the station in the mid 1960's
jamcat
Glasgow Royal Infirmary
Click to view attachment
The royal is another piece of fine Victorian architecture that can be seen in Glasgow. Pity about the mess in front though
sumac
The only time I was in the City Chambers was in 1974 when I was about to start my teaching career. All new teachers from Jordanhill were invited to the Chambers for a Meet and Greet cheese and wine evening. It was fantastic! It was also the first time I, as a near 21 year old, got absolutely steamin’. The wine flowed endlessly (I only ever had a half of lager), Don Darius I remember which I loved, and I had never tasted all the different cheeses, also never-ending. When the evening was over, don’t ask me what else happened - I was too drunk - my best friend and I staggered down the magnificent staircase to meet our fiancÚs. They were shocked to see us. We all went back to my flat in Queens Park where the boys tried to sober us up with lots of coffee. All Sandra and I could do was giggle and sing!

Ah yes, those were the days.

ashfield
I spent quite a bit of time in the City Chambers, the canteen on the top floor used to be a decent place for lunch. One of my favourite pastimes (much to the annoyance of my wife) is spotting the interior when it has been used in a TV drama or a film, which is surprisingly often.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (sumac @ 12th Oct 2020, 03:09pm) *
The only time I was in the City Chambers was in 1974 ...

Ah yes, those were the days.

That was great biggrin.gif
My memory of my first visit to the City Chambers isn't the actual visit but being told, as a school class, that we were going ... The City Chambers? ... That's wheree the City Fathers are! ...

I'd visited the Bridge of Weir orphanage with a Sunday School class and had picked up the phrase that the City Fathers were responsible for the running of this and tthe Bridge of Allan home and I had made friends with a guy of my age whom I kind of envied ...
and here I was about to go to the City Chambers whrere the City Fathers; who look after the orphanages, were.
I don't have any mental pictures in my mind of how it looked with it's columns or stairway, or how I felt but I must have loved it biggrin.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
My first time inside the City Chambers was around 1957/58. I was a junior in the School Health Service in Bath Street and I had to deliver medication to some big-wig there (don't remember the name).

Pretty cushy job for me - I had a Corporation car took me there and back and I felt very important.

I finally did the tour of the building in 1988 when I was on my first trip home to Scotland since I emigrated to New Zealand in 1963. I was visiting relatives in Sandyhills and went with my cousin. I loved the tour and thought the building was magnificent, a real treasure and amazing asset to Glasgow.
sumac
Ooooh! A chauffeur and a posh car! Respect! 😻
Scots Kiwi Lass
When I had been working in the SHS about 3 months, I was seen by the female Assistant Medical Officer as I had severe abdominal pain. She suspected appendicitis and called for a Corporation car to take me home. I felt like a VIP, getting delivered home and think that was the first time in a car for me.

It did turn out to be appendicitis and had the operation that week, 10 days in hospital and 5 weeks off work. These days most patients are sent home the same day or the next.

I loved that job in Bath Street and only left when my sister and I got sailing papers to travel to New Zealand in 1963.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.