Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: St. Enoch Hotel
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Buildings
jamcat
Glasgow has more Victorian architecture than anywhere else in the world (it would have been London if the luftwaffe hadn't destroyed most of it) It's really hard for me to pick a favourite building in the city because if you walk through the city centre looking up you will see loads of beautiful buildings. Amongst my favourites is the now destroyed St. Enoch hotel that was closed in 1974 because they wouldn't pay the money needed for the building to pass the fire safty laws. It was a listed building but this somehow did not prevent it being demolished in 1977/78 and I expect some money changed hands to enable this. I have fond memories of walking an ex girlfriend here to get her bus home and when I go into the Square and see this horrible glass thing that took it's place it doesn't help to rekindle those sweet memories.

Click to view attachment
jamcat
Another beautiful Victorian building [that is still standing] is Glasgow central station
Click to view attachment
jamcat
The Glasgow art galleries is another gem in Glagow's lovely buildingsClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.