Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adelphi Hotel
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Buildings
Agnes & Robert
Can anybody remember the Adelphi Hotel on A rgyle St. It was next to Boot's Chemist, I think it was the narrowest Hotel anywhere, like the Grand Hotel at Charing Cross, all gone I just hope that the Central Hotel doesn't follow suit
bilbo.s
I don´t recall that one, Robert & Agnes but there was another small, narrow entrance place on Union Street, near Massey´s & Ferguson´s . It was rumoured that they got all their provisions from the Chef at the Central( before my time and so any libel actions are unlikely).

Anybody remember the name of that one?
stuarty
a thought the adelphi was in st enochs square and an old aqantance called alex forbes worked there or have I got it wrong and did it have its name in red lighting ??????
AGNES & ROBERT
QUOTE (stuarty @ 15th Feb 2009, 07:39pm) *
a thought the adelphi was in st enochs square and an old aqantance called alex forbes worked there or have I got it wrong and did it have its name in red lighting ??????
Hi Stuarty, the only Hotel that I can remember on the St. Enoch's Square was the St. Enoch's Hotel, the Adelphi was a very narrow Hotel next to Boot's Chemist if you blinked Stuarty you would miss it it was really narrow and it used to have a doorkeeper he used to stand at the door in his uniform, I'm talking of the 1930s and 1940s
AGNES 7 ROBERT
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 15th Feb 2009, 06:31pm) *
I don´t recall that one, Robert & Agnes but there was another small, narrow entrance place on Union Street, near Massey´s & Ferguson´s . It was rumoured that they got all their provisions from the Chef at the Central( before my time and so any libel actions are unlikely).

Anybody remember the name of that one?

Hi Bilbo5, I'll have to put my thinking cap on for that Hotel on Union St. I'm talking about the days 1930s & 1940s
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (stuarty @ 15th Feb 2009, 07:39pm) *
Stuarty, what year are you talking about the Adelphi Hotel in St. Enoch's Square ? it was back in the30s & 40s when I remember the Adelphi Hotel I worked for Cooper's in Howard St. 1946 ,I used to deliver groceries all around that part of town
stratson
The Adelphi Hotel was in Howard Street St Enoch Square, The only Adelphi that was in Glasgow. Was owned by Peter Fox many years ago. Last time I noticed it was being used to house the homeless men in Glasgow. Oddly enough have passed there a couple of times but never noticed.
Chances are it no longer operates as the Adelphi. At the corner just passed where it was is "THe Lorne Bar".
Will look next time am in that part of town. There's so much building work now with the Centre Mall being extended. smile.gif
hopalong cassidy
QUOTE (Agnes & Robert @ 15th Feb 2009, 07:02pm) *
Can anybody remember the Adelphi Hotel on A rgyle St. It was next to Boot's Chemist, I think it was the narrowest Hotel anywhere, like the Grand Hotel at Charing Cross, all gone I just hope that the Central Hotel doesn't follow suit

The Adelphi Hotel was the same building before it became Boots. It was demolished several years ago.
stuarty
Stratson a knew it was there as a used to work in howard street called B and K modes but they were jewish and mr mc gregor love a roll in bacon but he used to say shh dont tell anybody we all used to laugh and say heres the other boss who's name escapes me at the moment and he would run up to the fancy machinists place and finnish it aff hw was so nice but the other wan was horrible . oh happy days laugh.gif
stuarty
QUOTE (Agnes & Robert @ 16th Feb 2009, 07:15pm) *
Stuarty, what year are you talking about the Adelphi Hotel in St. Enoch's Square ? it was back in the30s & 40s when I remember the Adelphi Hotel I worked for Cooper's in Howard St. 1946 ,I used to deliver groceries all around that part of town
naw that was in the mid seventies well 1976 to be exact because my da passed away when st ettenne was playing bayer munich in the europian cup andGLASGOW was so vibrant and great day until a got home and was told my da had died 12th may 1976
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (stuarty @ 17th Feb 2009, 12:26am) *
naw that was in the mid seventies well 1976 to be exact because my da passed away when st ettenne was playing bayer munich in the europian cup andGLASGOW was so vibrant and great day until a got home and was told my da had died 12th may 1976
Hi Stuarty, I think the Adelphi was gone by 1976 I don't know when Boot's closed, my wife,sons and I came over here on 1966, as I said I was talking 30s and 40s, long time ago
stuarty
I have it on good athority that the adelph is still standin at the bottom of st enochs in glassford st wub.gif
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (stuarty @ 15th Mar 2009, 11:00pm) *
I have it on good athority that the adelph is still standin at the bottom of st enochs in glassford st wub.gif
Stuarty,that must be a new Adelphi Hotel, the orginal definately was I just can't remember if it was next to Boot's or one up from there it was a very narrow hotel I used to pass by it regularly when I worked for Cooper's on Howard St' I"m talking the early 40s, actually 1945.
murn
The Adelphi and Boots
stuarty
wheres the adelpi murn a canny see it wub.gif
stuarty
QUOTE (Agnes & Robert @ 15th Mar 2009, 11:55pm) *
Stuarty,that must be a new Adelphi Hotel, the orginal definately was I just can't remember if it was next to Boot's or one up from there it was a very narrow hotel I used to pass by it regularly when I worked for Cooper's on Howard St' I"m talking the early 40s, actually 1945.
A WASNT EVEN BORN THEN so a cant say a seen that one
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (murn @ 16th Mar 2009, 12:29am) *
The Adelphi and Boots Murn, this picture is perfect you can see the Adelphi Hotel along just past Boot's then there's Burton's great tailor' and accross Argyle St' was Grant' furniture shop it might have been Arnott &Simpsons across Jamaica St'v from Grants, Glasgow was Glasgow in these days THE Shipyards were relatively busy plenty of work, it's a pity they took the Tramcars away they supplied a lot of work for people also good clean transport, not having any exhaust AH! WELL

Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (stuarty @ 17th Mar 2009, 07:07pm) *
A WASNT EVEN BORN THEN so a cant say a seen that one
Ach Stuarty yur ony a wee bairn
Agnes & Robert
The Adelphi and Boots
I'm trying to remember what was on top of Burton's, I know that the Grant arms was next door and Ithink that might have been the Grant Hotel with the entrance next to the Grant Arms that entrance is now something to do with Transport, at least it was on 2005
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (stuarty @ 17th Mar 2009, 07:06pm) *
Stuarty, follow Boot's along to the end, and the first skinny building you see that is the Adelphi Hotel Ithink they had a uniformed doorkeeper with a kind of light brown uniform, I know in those days the Central Hotel also had a uniform doorkeeper, Glasgow was a fantastic City in those days, still is, just reduce that crime , It's embarrassing
murn
QUOTE (stuarty @ 17th Mar 2009, 03:06pm) *

Stuarty if you look at the first picture you can see 'Alephi Hotel' on the Union Street side of the Boots Building. I think all the upper part of the building was the hotel. Not too much info out there about the hotel.

The Adelphi and Boots Murn, this picture is perfect you can see the Adelphi Hotel along just past Boot's then there's Burton's great tailor' and accross Argyle St' was Grant' furniture shop it might have been Arnott &Simpsons across Jamaica St'v from Grants, Glasgow was Glasgow in these days THE Shipyards were relatively busy plenty of work, it's a pity they took the Tramcars away they supplied a lot of work for people also good clean transport, not having any exhaust AH! WELL

A&R, sadly, on the four corners there is now a McDonalds, Italimania, KFC and Pizza Hut mad.gif
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (murn @ 20th Mar 2009, 06:26pm) *
Stuarty if you look at the first picture you can see 'Alephi Hotel' on the Union Street side of the Boots Building. I think all the upper part of the building was the hotel. Not too much info out there about the hotel.

A&R, sadly, on the four corners there is now a McDonalds, Italimania, KFC and Pizza Hut mad.gif

Yes I know Murn my Wife & I used to go Home every year up until 2005,we saw the McDonald's they have even got a Sterbucks at Charing Cross the place is starting to lok like over here
murn
more images of the 4 corners. Seems it was the home of Argyle Hotel before the Adelphi.

Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (murn @ 20th Mar 2009, 09:05pm) *
more images of the 4 corners. Seems it was the home of Argyle Hotel before the Adelphi.
Hi Murn, these photos are priceless, I guess it was called the Argyle before my time, Iwas talking of the30s,40s & early 50s, I can remember the Argyle Picture House, it was past Lewis's on the same side going towards the Trongate, when I was 15 I used to work for Coopers in Howard St. and I used to deliver groceries all around that area North Brunswick Hotel, but it was mostly offices that I delivered to once again Murn I,m forever in your debt for these photos
murn
Glad you liked them, my favorite thing to do is researching Glasgow wub.gif My time on the corners was in the seventies when it was the dizzy corner tongue.gif Have you read about the forgotten Village of Grahamston?
Agnes & Robert
The Adelphi and Boots
Murn I see the Adelphi Hotel on that corner what year was this and where is that corner I do know that there was an Adelphi Hotel next to Boots, this is getting interesting
murn
Hi A&R the entrance to the hotel was on Argyle street as you said but I think the whole hotel was above Boots. The picture was taken in the 1930s and is listed as a new building.

another wee bit of history wink.gif
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (murn @ 21st Mar 2009, 03:35am) *
Hi A&R the entrance to the hotel was on Argyle street as you said but I think the whole hotel was above Boots. The picture was taken in the 1930s and is listed as a new building.

another wee bit of history wink.gif
Murn, I think you've hit it on the head,so it really isn't a skinny hotel after all, it would be 1957 to 1959 I my Wife bought children's books in Boot's also I still have a 1966 Engineer's iary that my Wife bought for me on 1965, Boot's had a floor upstairs where ll that kind of stuff was, we moved over here on Feb. 1966, this is good practice for the memory.
dizzybint
The old Adelphi Hotel was definitely at the Boots Bulding on Argyle st, take it or leave it.. thats official..
m cheung
There was an old Adelphi hotel leaflet for sale on ebay, show a picture of it but no address.
Zorro
The Adelphi was on the corner of Union Street and Argyll Street. In fact it wasn't demolished until the present building was built in the 1990's. On removing the panels that made up the facade of Boot's the demolition squad discovered the original facade of the Adelphi. Fearing they would lose the job if the conservation groups found out about it they ripped it down rapidly...thus another piece of Glesga's architectural heritage was reduced to a pile of rubble and dust. mad.gif
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (Zorro @ 30th Dec 2010, 01:42am) *
The Adelphi was on the corner of Union Street and Argyll Street. In fact it wasn't demolished until the present building was built in the 1990's. On removing the panels that made up the facade of Boot's the demolition squad discovered the original facade of the Adelphi. Fearing they would lose the job if the conservation groups found out about it they ripped it down rapidly...thus another piece of Glesga's architectural heritage was reduced to a pile of rubble and dust. mad.gif

Too bad that building was torn down I remember the Adelphi very well I used think it was a narrow hotel until I found out that it stretched above Boots, the Adelphi had a uniformed doorman just like the Central Hotel, those were the grand old days, yes it was at the corner of Union St. and Argyle St., remember the big clock
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (Agnes & Robert @ 30th Dec 2010, 02:16am) *
Too bad that building was torn down I remember the Adelphi very well I used think it was a narrow hotel until I found out that it stretched above Boots, the Adelphi had a uniformed doorman just like the Central Hotel, those were the grand old days, yes it was at the corner of Union St. and Argyle St., remember the big clock

PS the main door was on Argyle Street
Purplefan
I lost my virginity in the Adelphi hotel.
Senga Murry fa possil.
I must have liked her a lot to spend money on a hotel room,
I used to take my birds to lambhill cemetery for a snog.
( used to know all the romantic spots in Glasgow)
DannyH
You might have liked her, but your not much of a gentleman making the girl's name public.

Danny Harris
Purplefan
your right, sorry about that.
To much information
DannyH
Thanks Purplefan, we all make mistakes.

Regards

Danny Harris
wellfield
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 28th Mar 2011, 04:27pm) *
your right, sorry about that.
To much information

If you feel bad,you can always have that post removed..ask the boss
Mart B
QUOTE (stratson @ 16th Feb 2009, 08:20pm) *
The Adelphi Hotel was in Howard Street St Enoch Square, The only Adelphi that was in Glasgow. Was owned by Peter Fox many years ago. Last time I noticed it was being used to house the homeless men in Glasgow. Oddly enough have passed there a couple of times but never noticed.
Chances are it no longer operates as the Adelphi. At the corner just passed where it was is "THe Lorne Bar".
Will look next time am in that part of town. There's so much building work now with the Centre Mall being extended. smile.gif

You are right, my dad leased it for a few years and he used to take me in as a wee boy in the early 80s. My brother knocked a hole in a storage cupboard out into the street and tuned it into a tobaccokiosk...did a roaring trade from all the workies who were on site building the new St Enoch Centre. We had a video shop in the foyer for a while too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.