Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maryhill Baths
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Buildings
stork
CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME I AM LOOKING FOR PICS OF THE OLD MARYHILL BATHS IN GLASGOW MARYHILL CAN ANY ONE HELP
valleyboy38
ther is a few photos taken by one fellow on the board his name is FLIM im sure he will oblige or go to his posts he has them on his file
maryhillgal
Stork, try the Mitchell Library website.
wee mags
Stork I took ths from the Mitchell virtual library
DOLKIN
there in the process of pulling maryhill baths down at the moment
glasgow lass
oh no Dolkin are you serious huh.gif I had heard that they were going to fix up not pull down sad.gif
Cameron
That will be sad if they tear it down i swam there every day but sunday after school and after work .I was a member of the Neptune swim club in 1951 until 1964 when i came to Canada there has been a lot of memories and a lot of friends made there but i guess nothing lasts for ever sad is'nt it
jimad
Good news, going by this link, they are turning it in to a leisure centre.
Learned to swim there as a boy and it was a Saturday morning ritual queing up to get in for a half hour slot.
The 'deep end ' was just over 6 ft if I remember right.
If you forgot your trunks you could hire a pair, and if the water was too cold you could sit in the hot bath in the shower room !

Great memories from the late '60's.

undefined
maryhillgal
I absolutely loved the Maryhill Swimming Baths and spent loads of time there. Cameron - did you know a Margaret Dickson who was in the Neptune Swimming Club? She was a terrific swimmer. I sat my bronze life saving medal when I was at North Kelvinside school and got a free pass for a year to Maryhill Baths. Boy did I use it - I was there nearly every day. I also lost a finger nail when, getting ready to dive in, someone shut the cubicle door on my hand. I hated these wee cubicles, you never felt as if there was much privacy in them but many a happy time I spent in these baths. Also used to go for a hot bath every Friday night.
Lennox
MHG, I remember the wee doors on the cubicles as well, you are right no much left to the imagation unsure.gif I loved going to the baths tae, but after my Aunty Cathy tried to drown me ( she swore it was teaching me to hold my breath) I never got back ino the pool, still canny swim to this day. but I'd go there with pals and sit and wait for them if I remember you could swim for half an hour for sixpence or something wink.gif
glasgow lass
Well thats great news not that a go there anymore sad.gif I have lots of fond memories in that place except for the day this rediculous half whit through me into the deep end with aw my clothes on and I had to get fished out with that long pole tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.