Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Irn Bru Advert, Is this in bad taste?
Melody
post 9th Aug 2003, 06:40pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
They do reflect badly Ed, as do many plays and films where the Glaswegian is the drunk or murderer or crook of some kind. This River City thing makes us look like idiots half the time. I love when we are portrayed as funny and quick witted because that is what we are, not the lowest of the low. It's always been like that to my recollection.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 9th Aug 2003, 07:01pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Interesting Guys..about the grandpa ad. Why does that no offend me other than bein a bit uncouth...you both have made me thoughtful here...though I THINK the reason is partly because it's the type of joke my dad would have played on us unsure.gif
By the way, is it jist me or does the Grandpa ad have english accents?

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Melody
post 9th Aug 2003, 07:10pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Don't know Catherine but I sure hope so it makes a change. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 9th Aug 2003, 07:14pm
Post #34

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 20
I noticed the accents too. Both characters, or is it just the boy, seem to DEVELOP a slight Scottish "burr" towards the end of the clip. It's the portrayal of uncouth behaviour as probably being typically Scots that is so offensive, Catherine.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 9th Aug 2003, 07:20pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
It makes no diference Catherine the add is still as offensive to a Scot as all these others.I am a Scot,I do not behave like that,never plan 2 so yes I find the advertising offensive.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 9th Aug 2003, 07:27pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Yes, I NOW see where ye's are comin from guys.
I think I was still on the male domination train of thought instead of the big picture so to speak. Totally agree with you.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 9th Aug 2003, 08:12pm
Post #37

Super City Key Holder
Well we haven't had a single dissenter from the view that Irn Brus' ads are inappropriate, sexist & demeaning to the Scots. I don't think that lissann was expressing dissent here either.

Maybe we can salvage something positive from the offensiveness of Irn Bru's bad taste advertising - I'm trying not to take the view that it's too late to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted. I hope Scottish schools are doing their bit to break down the negative influences of inappropriate images & gender stereotypes as we are in Oz - but education & the fostering of correct social attitudes begin in the home. Mothers are educators extraordinaire - but hey guys, your parenting doesn't begin and end with the act of conception either. Let's all do our bit to foster the best of values in our young fry's minds, show them by our example & try our utmost to minimise the brainwashing & desensitation caused them by the barrage of advertising slogans, posters, images & TV commercials that are in their face every day. We want our boys to appreciate the real values of life, & we don't want our young girls aspiring to be mere dolly birds , "dumb blondes" & Britney Spears jail-fodder look-alikes. Fathers & brothers can avoid grunting uncouthly at images of scantily-clad females in provocative poses, all parted lips & heavy-lidded eyes. Do it for your childrens' sakes - they're the future of our world & we have to improve the imperfect legacy WE'VE made them heirs to.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 9th Aug 2003, 08:17pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
The advert is no big deal Catherine-you look at it,basically ignore it and move on until the subject matter was aired here I honestly never gave it a thought.

+Quote Post
bigell
post 10th Aug 2003, 10:53pm
Post #39

Visitor
Member No.: 98
All I think is that they are trying0 to be the Benneton of 2003, remember the who ha they created a few years ago with soem disturbing advertising scenes...perhaps Barrs are trying to grab the same spot light, the only advert I have looked at is the baby one, and in all honesty, it does not make me want to go out and buy one.
Sorry I recall teh old lady on teh electric buggy who ram raids a shops for irn brew and is caught by police after running over some stinger spikes....laugh... I nearly paid my licence fee

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 11th Aug 2003, 12:02am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
the ads make me think of the calvin klien ones here, where they had young boys and girls in their underwear, and the people raised a big stink so much they were not used smile.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 11th Aug 2003, 05:29am
Post #41

Super City Key Holder
All TV channels here run an "Advertising Standards Policy" ad thingo at regular intervals, & give details of where to complain about offensive/inappropriate advertising. All Irn Bru's baby clip got a slap on the wrist for was the fact that it was shown in a children's timeslot, but from what I read elsewhere, it was said that childbirth scenes were acceptable children's viewing - I was so incensed by this stage that I didn't pursue that one any more, so maybe I missed something there.

This post has been edited by thebardau: 11th Aug 2003, 12:55pm

+Quote Post
anne
post 11th Aug 2003, 10:01am
Post #42

City Key Holder
Member No.: 35
Hi to all, is this advert for Irn bru still on the tele.

Anne Perth Aussieland
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 11th Aug 2003, 10:19am
Post #43

Super City Key Holder
So Irn Bru are the self-appointed arbiters of good taste then? [presuming that their use of the word "crap" means that which is not tasteful]. One almost shudders to imagine what the whole clip was like.

+Quote Post
Mary48
post 11th Aug 2003, 12:34pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 241
I haven't really read thoroughly through th posts on this topic but have got the general view that the latest irn bru ads have raised some ire?

Yes, i agree that the billboard ad is "behind the sheds, sniggering, adolescent" humour and should stay there. It's is NOT clever, amusing or doing anything at all for their image.

The mpg's I thought were hilarious. I know I'm probably opposing you all in this but...........how many of us used to have older relatives who would horrify us with their false teeth? BTW..isn't he pommie rather than Scottish? That's all the old man ad was doing...he used his teeth to stop his grandson take the can back, sneaky auld rogue:)
The labour ward scene? a couple of wee grunts from the woman at the very beginning then humour..the baby showing that it's like all babies...ready to make monkeys of us all even before it leaves the womb

--------------------
From Larkhall, no that far away really.

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 11th Aug 2003, 12:52pm
Post #45

Super City Key Holder
The "grandpa" clip is promoting a Scottish product, the grandson at least develops a somewhat Scottish "burr" towards the end - & let's not split hairs over the origin of the accents. It's a Scottish product promotion we're being shown in a scene of caricature-like uncouthness. No, none of my relatives or family ever exhibited such behaviour - despite the fact that they ALL lived in unspeakably squalid & overcrowded tenements in Gallowgate, Cowcaddens, Shettleston, et al.

As for the "couple of wee grunts" from the woman in labour, you may well find that hilarious, but it's a pity that you cannot also see that the clip trivialises & debases childbirth, the role of nursing staff, & that is an exploitative slur on the behaviour of Scots people.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Jun 2021

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.