Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mavis Valley, Cadder Pit Disaster, August 1913
Robert Stewart
post 19th Nov 2013, 03:42am
Post #106

Unpacking
Member No.: 130
QUOTE (Jackiexxx @ 30th Oct 2013, 01:34am) *
Hi,
Do your parents remember the Fairbairn or the Stewarts?

Hi Jackie, I'm related to Mary Reid Stewart Fairbairn (Mrs Fairbairn) of Mavis Valley, she is the one on the left of the photo. She was born in Burnbank, Hamilton. Are you related to the same person?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RonD
post 21st Sep 2014, 11:27am
Post #107

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
This is a housing plan of some houses in Mavis Valley. I believe they were the newer ones built around 1905 of better condition than those built in 1855.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
dejavu
post 24th Sep 2014, 02:43pm
Post #108

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,699
QUOTE (Hutchieclan @ 28th Jan 2010, 10:29pm) *
Hi, just found this site. My grandfather, David Hutchison, was born in Mavis Valley in 1912 and died in Stoneyetts Hospital in 1990. I have a family bible which has records of births, deaths and marriages. From this, I know that his mother was Jeannie Junnor, who married Charles Junnor in 1917. Family stories suggest that Charles Junnor was her second husband. She was born in Keppochhill in 1882 and died in 1943.

David Hutchison had 7 or 8 brothers, William, Robert, Joseph, Walter, Charles, Effingham and James. There appears to have been two sons named Effingham, perhaps by different husbands. There were also three sisters, Margaret, Jeannie and Jeannet (spelling as per the bible).

Among the many entries, I found records of the death of Effingham Hutchison in Mavis Valley in 1902, and Wm. Cairns Hutchison who died aged four months on 2nd April 1926. I also found that William Hutchison, my grandfathers eldest brother, married Jeannie McGill in 1919, and died in 1924. Other references include the marriage of James Weather Junnor to Margaret Cook Clark in March 1937, and Charles Hutchison to Hannah Pirrie in June 1938 . They each had 4 children, but their names are not recorded.

Hope this helps, and happy to assist further.

+Quote Post
dejavu
post 24th Sep 2014, 02:50pm
Post #109

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,699
QUOTE (aussiecath @ 20th Dec 2012, 05:42am) *
Hello I have been reading the posts for William Hutchison and Jeannie Neilson My uncle was Joseph Neilson Hutchison married Janet weir in Wonthaggi Victoria Australia.Looking to add a few more to my Family Tree .Cathleen

Hi Cathleen I am Anna Hutchison My dad was Effinghum (Eddie) who was Josephs brother His other brothers were William David Charles Walter He had a half brother James Junor My granny Hutchison nee Neilson was widowed in 1915 My granddad Hutchison died in Malta I have been to see his grave Two sisters were Margaret and Jean. My dad died in 1963 aged 47 He often spoke about his brother Joseph in Australia Hope this helps My email address is as follows annahutchison49@hotmail.com It would be nice to hear from you
Anna

+Quote Post
*Andrew M*
post 17th Mar 2015, 07:41pm
Post #110

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you had information on my family the Dunn's that lived in Mavis Valley. My Great Grandfather was Jeremiah Dunn. His children were Jimmy, Alec (my grandfather) Jean, Andrew and Helen.

My grandfather worked at Lumloch, Greyshill and then Cardowan pit right up until his retirement in 79/80.

My aunt was born in 1948 in Fir Park Rd, Auchinairn/Bishopbriggs so i know the family was out by 47/48.

Helen is still living in Auchinairn.

Any knowledge most welcome.
Thanks
Andy.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 25th Mar 2015, 02:57pm
Post #111

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Andy: If you are on face book there is an Auchinairn group as wells a Bishopbriggs, that might be the place to source people.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
*Adam*
post 14th Apr 2015, 08:39pm
Post #112

QUOTE (RonD @ 13th May 2008, 09:37am) *
Here's the same area in 1933. Mavis Valley and Woodside Terrace are encicrled.

Hi, I'm interested in the rail line that ran down from Cadder Siddings, do you have a higher resolution and/or expanded version of that map?

+Quote Post
GG
post 21st May 2015, 09:41pm
Post #113

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Just found this.

Not had time to watch it but looking forward asap over the weekend.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
flam
post 22nd May 2015, 02:39pm
Post #114

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
A very good story about Cadder Pit No15, the only fault I have is, because I have hearing problems the background sounds I found a tad too noisy, otherwise brilliant for descendants of the 22 who died

+Quote Post
*Catherine Gray*
post 13th Jan 2016, 11:38pm
Post #115

QUOTE (Hutchieclan @ 28th Jan 2010, 09:20pm) *
Hi, just found this site. My grandfather, David Hutchison, was born in Mavis Valley in 1912 and died in Stoneyetts Hospital in 1990. I have a family bible which has records of births, deaths and marriages. From this, I know that his mother was Jeannie Junnor, who married Charles Junnor in 1917. Family stories suggest that Charles Junnor was her second husband. She was born in Keppochhill in 1882 and died in 1943.

David Hutchison had 7 or 8 brothers, William, Robert, Joseph, Walter, Charles, Effingham and James. There appears to have been two sons named Effingham, perhaps by different husbands. There were also three sisters, Margaret, Jeannie and Jeannet (spelling as per the bible).

Among the many entries, I found records of the death of Effingham Hutchison in Mavis Valley in 1902, and Wm. Cairns Hutchison who died aged four months on 2nd April 1926. I also found that William Hutchison, my grandfathers eldest brother, married Jeannie McGill in 1919, and died in 1924. Other references include the marriage of James Weather Junnor to Margaret Cook Clark in March 1937, and Charles Hutchison to Hannah Pirrie in June 1938 . They each had 4 children, but their names are not recorded.

Hope this helps, and happy to assist further.

Hannah Pirrie/Hutchison was my nana. Her daughter Margaret is my mum.

+Quote Post
*Peter Grant*
post 6th Mar 2016, 09:39pm
Post #116

One think that has not been addressed is the confusion caused by there being TWO Cadders! Mavis Valley was a suburb of the original Cadder (long before Bishopbriggs and its incomers made it a Town in its own right).

Lambhill appears to have laid claim to 'Cadder' by virtue of a mistake by Glasgow's housing planners - the fact both are in North Glasgow, adjacent to the Forth & Clyde canal and the fact that Cadder was not named in any map of the Lambhill area until the construction of the housing scheme. Whereas the Mavis Valley Cadder was extant from the 1700's, indeed this Cadder was supported by many lands and farms (as well as Cadder Sidings on the Caledonian Railway).

Indeed, is is often forgotten prior to being named Cumbernauld, the area was called Easter Cadder!

+Quote Post
*Isabel Gold*
post 11th May 2021, 07:53pm
Post #117

QUOTE (RonD @ 8th Feb 2010, 11:18pm) *
My older brother Neil lived in the Mavis Valley area from his birth in 1938 until the family moved to Auchinairn in December 1947. I asked him his recollection of the place, the envoirmnment and the people and this is what her wrote. Hopefully some of you will recognize some features of which he has written.
" Here is a run down on Mavis Valley as I remember it & Woodside Terrace.
Crossing the Forth & Clyde canal at Brash's bridge & turning left and walking along the canal bank you come to the bottom of Mavis Valley. At the top it stops at the woods.
The Mavis Valley had two rows of red brick dwellings facing each other. The lower half consisted of single floor dwellings on each side & the top half consisted of two floor dwellings on each side. The two floor dwellings had seperate families living top & bottom. All the houses were connected to each other & if memory serves there was a break in the middle on each side or a close, a conveyance for getting to the backs of the dwellings. There was no indoor plumbing & the only source of fresh running water was from 4 or 5 taps located the length of the valley, down the middle. At the bottom, near the canal was the Cowlairs Cooperative store & I can remember the managers name was Jimmy Keelan ( Right spelling?) Across from the "Co" there were old foundations of earlier buildings & these foundations were all cut stones. Along with my older brother & sisters we delivered Sunday papers in the "Vaillie" as we called it & we worked for the Patricks who lived in there. Other names that come to mind who lived there were the Browns (Broons) Thompson, Barr, Reid, Carrigan, Mc Callum, Mc Kinstry, McCann, Connolly, Lawlors, Lauder, McLaren, Bulloch, Nesbit, McAloon, Cassidy, Lafferty & Rooney. The name Hutcheson rings a bell & a family named Hewitt or Hewitson who one of them was supposed to play for Partick Thistle.I don't know if this was true.As a rough guess there may have been upwards to 50 to 75 families living in the "Vaillie"
At the top of the row was the woods & if you turned left & proceeded for about 5 mins you would come to Woodside Terrace locally known as "The Big Pit". I was born there. Surrounded by a "Bing",( from the old mine) farmers field & some more woods was a single red brick structure containing 12 dwellings 6 up 6 down seperated by 3 "closes" with entrance into 4 dwellings. The dwellings themselves contained 2 bedrooms, a bed recessed in a combined living room/ dining room with a grate that burned coal for heat & cooking. There was also a small kitchen which a small sink with a tap for cold water. A water closet was located outside in the close shared by 4 families. The names of the families I can remember who lived in the "Big Pit" were the Bonars, Foxes, Campbells, Kennedy's, Bowies, Armstrongs & Reids. Taking a path (the Cowper or Couper) towards the canal was a little cottage where the Walkers lived. The bing was right behind them & I can remember going to a spot at the base of the bing & gathering pieces of coal for the house when we had no coal to burn. Two things stick in my mind while living in the "Blg Pit" was when soldiers came to do some training in preparation for D Day & when the broke camp they gave us kids lots of goodies & as every thing was rationed, it was great stuff to get. The second event was the 2 bonfires celebrating the war's end. All the families went out of their way, considering the rationing to put an a feast & there was no shortage of wood for burning. My father & other men worked in the nearby mines, the "Wee Mine" near Balmore & before that the "Gulshie' near Blackhill out by Lambhill. Other men worked at the brickworks managed by Mr Mc Farlane. The "Big Pit" was demolished when???? I don't know & is now a Land fill site ( a Tip). So a lot of history is buried.
Most, if not all of the families from the "Big Pit" & Mavis Valley moved to Auchinairn in 1947 & 1948. It was after that the Squatters moved into the houses in the "Vaillie". How long they stayed there I don't know but they were there in the early fifties as I was still delivering Sunday papers to them, then. Some of the original families from the "Big Pit" stayed there at least 7 to 8 years after we left in 1947. The Kennedy's for one.
There you have it. That was the "Vaillie" & the "Big Pit " as I remember them."

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Jun 2021

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.