Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can’t Get Gg, White pages!
sumac
post 8th Dec 2020, 10:30am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
Yesssss! I’m in! But for how long? 😢

As a primary teacher, I had to gain an ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence). This meant home learning with an exam at the end of each module. You couldn’t advance to the next module until you passed each one. This Licence is recognised all over Europe. I got mine in about 2004(?) although I had been teaching IT and using Apple Macs then PCs from the 80s. I needed the ECDL to teach IT to the children, so I have a very good knowledge of computers and how to use them. I am absolutely bamboozled by this GG site.

As for cars - Colin and I have been lucky enough to have our own cars, new every couple of years. I am not a happy driver now, and I have always loved driving. The reason is that, more and more gadgets are being added to cars nowadays. Control is being taken away from the driver: electronic parking brake, front and rear parking sensors, lane control, automatic headlights, Stop Start, rear view camera, bing bongs going everywhere for I-don’t-know-what. And don’t tell me to look at the manual! It’s as thick as the old phone books and needs a degree (not ours) to understand them!

I am ashamed to say, I have only driven twice since lockdown in March. I would have missed driving in the Good Old Days but I don’t really now. Once things are better (roll on the vaccine!) I hope to be back behind the wheel, having my doors locked for me, bing bongs going off, the steering wheel being jerked away from me, oh Lord! I feel a migraine coming on just thinking about it!

🤯

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
taurus
post 8th Dec 2020, 11:19am
Post #17

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
in 1980 the government office I worked in went on the computers ,among the very first people in Sydney to do this. we handled medical claims in front of the customer. It was another world to all of is after sitting for years with pens and files. first thing they did was send us on a course, the instructor prattled on about Bytes,and binary what nots,I fell asleep. I worked out my own system ,anyway ,it was pre programmed ,we didn`t have to be clever ,just have a good memory for what screen needed what doing,and binaries and bytes never ever came in to it.
glad youre back on Sumac,you certainiy sound cluey.today I bought a new iphone,and nearly had a nervous breakdown to get it set up.I`m too old for all this palaver,but it`s handy to have a phone when out and about,and the hated texts, my husband keeps saying just ring he or she,but that`s not what they want,voices are becoming redundant with all this typing.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 8th Dec 2020, 01:37pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (taurus @ 7th Dec 2020, 12:06pm) *
... My friend in recent years (self made man lotsa dough),bought a new BMW,lovely status symbol ...

BMWs and Mercs are definitely not status symbols over here beeing practically 2-a-penny in a matter of speaking so unless your Meerc is an S Class ( the single mechanic who put your engine together has his name proudly embossed on the motor, which my ex-boss didn't know about 'till I showed him where rolleyes.gif ) the real staus symbol over here is the Ferrari and he had one of those too.
My firsdt BMW was thee old 525 Beemeer which I loved for a couplee of reasons, the first being it cost me 300 Deutchmarks, 100 back then, and it went lokee a bomb.
I first had to swap the driver's door (side impact which dented the rear passenger door as well) change a spark plug to get it running on all six cylinders again and clear up the vomit in the front passenger footwell.
The only door I could get from the scrapyard was a silver one: the car was white so I christened her El Silverdoor
When I returned to England for a while my daughter claimed it: you can geet anotheer wheen you go back to Geermany she said What? For another 100 again? but you'll know what it's like with daughters and daddies tongue.gif
My next BMW was also my last.
I'd left the house in the wee hours to drive to Munich and had just got onto the Autobahn near where I livee when it oveer heated. Normally I would have just removed the thermostat from the radiator and carried on but on that BMW the theermostat was situateed in the wateer pipee leading into the radiator and had a `T' shaped housing so removing it would have leeft a 4" gap in the pipe.
Getting off the Autobahn at the next exit, two villages from where I started, I pulled up beside a a tributary to thee rver Rhine and spent ages carrying a wee plastic bag up and down the tree covered embankment filling the radiator with with water in the middlee of the night in order to geet me home and missing the start of my new contract.
from then on I drovee thee non-status symbol Merc which cost mee 1300 and retired with a good 500,000Km on the clock (not all put there by me of course).
Mary's Merc was a wee bit more costing her 6000 abot 6 years ago.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
wombat
post 8th Dec 2020, 07:24pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (DannyH @ 7th Dec 2020, 12:11am) *
Just keep your fingers and wrists in good condition. Don’t bother about obesity. Everybody will be obese.

Regards

Danny

tongue.gif
words of wisdom from danny boy,meanwhile in the real world . rolleyes.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 8th Dec 2020, 07:27pm
Post #20

Super City Key Holder
so true Tee Hee,when we go back to the UK Mercs and other revered cars here are everywhere over there. This young country has always had the littlebrother feeling regarding Europe. When we first came they still referred to the UK as the mother country,so European cars were a status symbol.my old Peugeot was that !,"old" when we bought it,but it still got a flash of lights and a wave on the road from the other "elites". same as our old BMW 5,goodness knows how many owners it had befor us,but I still thought I was kings**t going shopping. Every time it coughed another thousand dollars in repairs,and more than once away in the tow truck,until my husband woke up,get rid of this millstone. we have this older Honda and a wee daihatsu,what a blooming come down biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 9th Dec 2020, 10:26am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Taurus, I'll tell you what swung me over to Mercs.
I had one on lease, for ashort period rolleyes.gif with only 5000 miles on the clock (8000Km) and drovee reegularly from home to a town called Donauworth where we were on Airbus production. I always drove through the ninight on Monday mornings on the 5 hour drive.
It was winter and there snow and ice on the Autobahn.
Recommended maximum speed on the Autobahn signs was 110kph (about 70mph where normally there was no limit) and all was well until I passed under a bridge and hit black ice as I cme out.
The car sun away from me and try as I might I could not regain control. At one point I was pointing in the right direction of travel, dropped down a gear and hit thee gas pedal - which sent me into another pirouette. Next thing I know I'm heading straight for thee outside crash barrier and slamming thee brakes for thee first timee: to no avail.
I braced myself for the impact and was amazeed to feel absoluteely nothing as I crashed into the barrier and bounced backwards up thee motorway for about 30 or 40 meters beforee coming to a halt in the middle lane pointing in the wrong direction.
The crumple zone had completly crumpled with thee engine breeaking away and hitting the ground as per safety design and I really hadn't felt a thing.
With no lights at the front I got out and placed two warning triangles further down the road (one is on thee boot lid and I always carried spares for any event.)
I had a white umbreella on the back seat which I stuck into what was leeft of the bonnet. The barrier was left with a great dent in the form of the front of the car and there was a6 meeteer drop on thee other side.
Trucks were passing the car on both lanes: this was 3 o'clock in the morning.
It all happened very quickly and a police car arrived within a minute and a half.
The police claimed I must have been speeding but I said that if I had been then I would have overtaken them further down the road since they were not that far behind me.
The offered me an 80 spot-fine anyway which I, reluctantly, accepted to save bother.
From the number sheild to the windsheild the car was completeely wrecked.
From the windsheild and back there wasn't a dent or bulge in thee frame.
Insurance coughed up 27,000 and I had to pat the other 5000 but a handler bought the scrapped car for 12,500 so I was 7,500 in pocket.
That car saved my life bcause any other car wouldn't have surviveed that inpact.
I was sold on Mercs from then on and had another tale to prove that point.
Sadly my eyes don't allow me to drive anymore; which pisses me right off rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
taurus
post 9th Dec 2020, 10:59am
Post #22

Super City Key Holder
my husband has always said,if it`s your life you care about ,buy a Merc. of course we never did or would. re the speeding on the Autobahn,we were invited to a wedding in Frankfurt,and a car met us at the airport,arranged by the bride. We were scared sh***ss on the Autobahn the driver doing 200 k cheerfully telling us there was no speed limit. That was at lunch. Come evening after the celebrations with the oompah band and the beer pouring like water,a friend of the groom was told to drive us to the hotel. Once again excessive speed with a guy who`d drunk we dont know how much. really took the edge off our first and last trip to Germany,and the mozzies in the hotel,giants with jackboots on,no one in this little boutique hotel could speak a word of English and we would have killed for a can of fly spray.we had dear friends fro Australia ,who now lived in Cologne came to be with us,and the German husband soon got us sorted with the fly spray.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 9th Dec 2020, 12:39pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
You are a lot of posh folk, mercs and beemers tongue.gif My brother had an automatic merc for twenty years and, with the money he spent on repairs over the years, he could probably have bought a couple more. My two nephews had 6 series beemers, they eventually used them both of them to get one constructed that worked laugh.gif We, on the other hand, have stuck to Fords which have been pretty cheap to run and get fixed. My neighbour has a "furrin" car, I won't identify it for fear of upsetting anyone, so let's call it a Hyundai rolleyes.gif The wee led running lights started to flash a bit on one headlight, enough for it to fail the MOT. It's sealed unit so no way of fixing it, the cost of one headlight...........600 ohmy.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
sumac
post 9th Dec 2020, 07:02pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
No, THH, we don’t have a BMW or a Merc. I have always had a foreign car, Toyotas formerly but Mazdas latterly, except for my wee Ford Fiesta XR2. I just loved that. Colin has had a BMW but not for very long. He hated it in the frost and snow. He is a brilliant driver but could get no grip with the rear engine. He spun the tyres and skidded about, despite traction control. That ad to go. He has also had a Subaru Impreza Turbo which he loved. The only time I spun a car was when I went round a bend on the wee country road near us, to find a huge waste lorry coming towards me on my side of the road. I spun on the wet, greasy road. I was shaken but not stirred (get it? Shir Shaun? 🤣). When we hit a Merc in our Vauxhall Cavalier (it stopped very suddenly in front of us but we had room between us, so didn’t hit him at speed or too hard. The Merc had not a mark on it. Our Cavalier’s front collapsed inwards, pouring radiator fluid all over the road and buckling a wheel. Aye, Mercs are definitely built like tanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 10th Dec 2020, 08:46am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
I had one spin in a car, the 1600cc VW beetle I owned back in the early 70s. Got up early one snowy morning to drive to my work at 6.30am. It was all going ok, roads from Lanarkshire had been gritted and clear, until I hit (literally) Nitshill Road at Darnley. It had just been constructed into a dual carriageway, for some reason it had not been treated and was a sheet of ice. The central reservation had kerb stones but the gap had not even been been filled in. I was some way behind a bus, I guess the driver got spooked by the ice because he pulled up suddenly and I could do nothing but move into the outside lane to avoid him. The Beetle with its rear engine was crap on ice so I went into full Torvill and Dean mode. Eventually I must have hit a dry section because the car shot across into the other carriageway, over the pavement and into a field on the other side. I was very lucky because there was hardly any traffic on the road, there were no pedestrians on the pavement and both me and the car only suffered minor cuts and grazes. In fact, I was able to drive the car out of the field, up a small embankment and carried on to my work. I was a bit tense throughout that day though rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 10th Dec 2020, 10:06am
Post #26

Super City Key Holder
your guardian angel working overtime that day Ashfield. Like mine last year when a friend was visiting ,had some kind of medical episode going out the drive (flat as a pancake too the drive),and he made a loud screech which I went to the door to see,and he turned his wheel ,came full speed into our house,missed me standing watching, by about 6 feet. multi thousand dollars damage,but at least i lived.he got out stunned and reversed out of the rubble thinking he was still driving home. His car a write off and he hit our wee car on the way,another write off.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 10th Dec 2020, 11:30am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Oh my, you two! You’re both lucky to be alive! Definitely a Guardian Angel watching over you.

🧚

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Dec 2020, 01:57pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 9th Dec 2020, 01:39pm) *
... We, on the other hand, have stuck to Fords which have been pretty cheap to run and get fixed ...

Ash, I've had a few Fords, both in England and here, but my favourite was thee Taunus, 6 cylander 2ltr V engine which I lovingly called Nelly.
The only time I could get her oveer 200kph was on a three lane stretch out of Bayern into Badenwurtemberg which ran down a great curving sweep in and out of a valley: I was once `radared' three times on my way home on that 4 hour, if I could geet away with it, trip.
But on one trip to Hamburg from heere, like going from Lands End to John o' Groats, me and Nelly hit a tail back on the A5 Autobahn not far from Karlsruhe which held us up for way too long at crawl-stop-crawl-stop pace which was winding me up good style.
Eventually the traffic clears, leaving you wondeering what the hold-up was, and I hit the pedal like Jackie Stewart and gunned it away ... for about 30 meters ... when a deafening bang filled y ears over the sound of Simple Minds coming from my speakers and in my rear-view the sky and motorway had gone black.
I limped from the outside lane oveer to the hard shoulder with the remaining traction causing my own wee short-lived tail-back.
When the tow-truck arrived and asked me where to I told him to take me to the neareest Ford garage to this Autobahn. He thought I was daft but put that down to being englander (the German term for any Brit)
At the garage I asked if they had a recon engine lying about which they did have, a Gold Seal, no less, but to put it in that old heap? ohmy.gif
Needs must when the devil rides, Jimmy, Hans, or whatever your name is tongue.gif
The thing was, if I dumped Nelly I'd first have to find somewhere to dump her then reemovee the number plates and go home to de-reegister the next day and find another work-horse car and get that registered,; all too time cosuming especially when you're already two hours up the motorway on a ten hour trip to work after the weekend so throwing a new engine in was the easiest and quickest option.
The guy wouldn't take Amex; he preferred cash-in-hand; of course, and ma burd at that time wouldn't go to the bank to arrange a rapid cash transfer (she knew I had another in Haburg) so instead of waiting a bit to get the engine changed I had to find atrain and go back tor the 400 I needed and come back the following day, pay the guy and watch them put the replacement engine in.
Then it was back on the motorway with Nelly at a sedate 100kph for a while till she warmed up and then put the boot down again.
Ah loved that auld caur so Ah did. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 10th Dec 2020, 05:52pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
See Taurus, that's what you get for welcoming folk into your house cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 10th Dec 2020, 08:04pm
Post #30

Super City Key Holder
right Ashfield,thank god for the virus,we`re visitor free ! fair saves on the cooking and all the rest,I wonder if we`ll ever socialise again.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Jul 2021

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.