Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eat Yer Crusts
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Old Wifies' Tales
Lizziesgal
ma mammie always telt me tae eat ma crusts an I wid get curly hair......it is a wee bit wavy so mebbie there was some truth in it?
gardenqueen
I was told that too and ate mine up. The result is that I have masses of curls, quite out of control! Serves me right for being greedy and vain.

Mind you, you can't beat those crusts we had on our plain bread in Glasgow - I always enjoy them when I go back. My mum lives near a bread making factory and there is a constant smell of baking bread. It is worth going back for that alone. biggrin.gif

GQ
Lizziesgal
Hi, Gardenqueen, you've just made my mouth water, I too used to love the taste of those crusts (especially the "ootsiders", which I loved to dip in cream of tomato soup). The other thing I love when I go back up is the fresh morning rolls and the potato scones - delicious. L
gardenqueen
Yes, Lizziesgal, those rolls were lovely. I used to have a banana roll every day for my lunch. Lots of butter (!!!!) too.

GQ
Elma
Sorry to disagree, but I hated these black crusts, maybe that's why my hair is so straight..... smile.gif I do like the rolls though and the potato scones, mmm...good.
glasgow lass
My mother told me if I didn't eat my crusts Id get hairs on ma chist laugh.gif laugh.gif >>>>>>>>> laugh.gif
mlconnelly
Love and still eat black crusts and well-fire rolls (when I can get them) but my hairs still game of poker straight and always wanted curly hair. sad.gif \ Mary
benny
Ah wis told tae eat ma crusts as well. especially the black wans as it wid gie ye curly hair. - although ma Ma never ate them herself. Ah didnae need encouraging, ah loved them an ah've eaten them aw ma life. Wid that explain the big bald patch oan ma heid? biggrin.gif
andypisces
When i usewd to take a piece tae work i loved a weell fired roll with cheese and beetroot
glasgow lass
I love bread and eat lots of it, bread is the only food that can fily up real fast.A still love a piece on whatever is in ma fridge. Well fired rolls , still the best tho biggrin.gif >>>>hi everywin tongue.gif
wee davy
Ah'd kill fer a plain loaf - huvnae had ony in ower 3 years lol Cannae get them this side ai the country - but can over in the North West sad.gif
bilbo.s
Isn´t it strange the way they named loaves in Glasgow? A plain loaf was also known as a square loaf. A French loaf was nothing like any I have seen in France. A Pan loaf - well "Pan" just means " bread". A Vienna loaf was more like French bread. People still used to talk about a " half loaf".

Mind you, Danish pastries in Denmark are called Vienna pastries, if I mind right. Here in Spain a doughnut is sometimes calles a Berliner. At least we do not call hamburgers " beefburgers".

It just goes to show how confused people can get, even with simple things. rolleyes.gif
benny
Aye, ye wonder at some o the names fur foods. Contrary tae first impressions, Cock-a-leekie soup his nothin tae dae wi incontinent chefs. smile.gif
mlconnelly
Wee davy surely when you get visitosr down there, they bring a plain lof or 2 with them. When I visit my friend in London, never go down with less than 2 and a block of square sausages, When she,s up here , she takes back orders of plain loaves, square sausages and steak pies from the local village butcher. Mary
zascot
Where I live they must have ate tonnes of crusts cause their hair is sure curly. biggrin.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Lizziesgal @ 20th May 2006, 06:40pm) *
ma mammie always telt me tae eat ma crusts an I wid get curly hair......it is a wee bit wavy so mebbie there was some truth in it?

Maybe you can trust your mammy's advice ... but you certainly can't trust your old man's.
My da told me if I stood in coo's dung I'd grow.
I did unsure.gif ... and I didnae laugh.gif
glasgow lass
Zat when'y were playing the field biggrin.gif
Mugginz
Did it make ye smell better but? ph34r.gif
glasgow lass
definatly no like hot breed biggrin.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 5th Apr 2011, 02:05pm) *
Maybe you can trust your mammy's advice ... but you certainly can't trust your old man's.
My da told me if I stood in coo's dung I'd grow.
I did unsure.gif ... and I didnae laugh.gif

Sounds like he had that one off pat rolleyes.gif
Mugginz
Mooo-ving swiftly back on topic. Two wimmin came tae ma door yistirday asking whit kinda breid ah buy. Ma man hinks they were Hovis witnesses tongue.gif
mlconnelly
I've been trying to make my own bread with varying degress of success cos I'm fed up thrown the stuff oot. Any recipes would be welcome. biggrin.gif Mary
Heather
I was never very good at the home made bread either.
I remember years ago there was a bread strike and I had to make it. My husband and son ate it and said it was good but I think they ate more out of kindness to me and not to hurt my feelings. sad.gif

I love an outsider toasted and while still warm spreading it with lashings of butter.

I always ate my crusts, with ten of us in the family I had no option. laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Heather @ 5th Apr 2011, 03:52pm) *
I love an outsider toasted and while still warm spreading it with lashings of butter.

Pity was there were only two outsiders; would have saved a lot of fallin' out in our house if there had been 4. laugh.gif (same wi' the chookaloo's drumsticks laugh.gif )
wee davy
didn't we used tae call them, heels?
glasgow lass
that rings a bell tongue.gif

are yoo pukking ma leg

are yoo pulling ma leg . biggrin.gif
bilbo.s
A puked leg ? Nothing worse ! Well. no much. rolleyes.gif
Dunvegan
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 4th Apr 2011, 08:11am) *
My mother told me if I didn't eat my crusts Id get hairs on ma chist laugh.gif laugh.gif >>>>>>>>> laugh.gif

ye could hae jined the circus!!!
Gee
We used to call the end slice heels, in Lancashire they're called crusts huh.gif

My son hated crusts and wanted them cut off so used to tell him he'd get curly teeth if he ate them all up rolleyes.gif That didn't really encourage him to eat them
benny
QUOTE (wee davy @ 5th Apr 2011, 06:36pm) *
didn't we used tae call them, heels?

If ah wis walkin aboot clutchin an ootsider oan jam, ah used tae get asked "Hiv ye got a sore haun?" The big lumpa white breid wis supposed tae look like a bandage. smile.gif
auldbutcher
We wid wait fer the Galbraiths store deliveries and when the loafs came in wie wid get wan fresh, ye sliced it yer sel an the crusts were magic crispy broon an black wee daud o raspberry jam an ye went tae heaven .
Jasus i can still imagine my teeth sinkin intae that crispy black crust who needed sweeties ,stiff me they wis rationed then . wink.gif

P.s ootsiders wis my fav .
glasgow lass
O'god a kin jist pic-churr me wae a herry chist,,,,, biggrin.gif
Chrissie
Auld B, I remember the bread lying on the shop counters on a board, unwrapped and unsliced. It was delicious cause the crusts didn't wilt by being wrapped warm. Rasperry jam is my favorite still. You made me so hungry at the thought o a big plain piece with dodds a jam. tongue.gif
Purplefan
There is nothing better than a big ootsider with grilled cheese. thumbup.gif
Doug1
I used to love the old white crusty bread. I would get the two outside slices and make a big thick jeely piece, it was so thick I could scarcely stuff it in my mouth. What great times !!
Purplefan
my ma could not cut bread, it would start off ok, then by the time she had reached the other end
it was as thick as a high court Judge. But the mothers pride ootsiders were the best.
Isobel
Remember eat your crust it makes your hair curly.I guess I didn't eat enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.