Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Mammy Superstitions
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Old Wifies' Tales
southsider
don't put new shoes on the table, and don't put the umbrella up in the house, or all sorts of misfortune will come your way rolleyes.gif
Lennox
To this day I never put shoes on the table,Bad Luck, and you will never go anyplace,that's what my Granny always told us ohmy.gif
Elma
I will never put shoes on the table or put an umbrella up in the house. Another thing, never pick up a glove you have dropped, let someone else do it and don't say thank you. Don't know why, but my granny said so!
stuarty
if you tell a lie youll go too the bad fire break amirror 7years bad luck dont walk under a ladder if your jumper was on inside out or outside in to change it back you had to turn around whilst doing it laugh.gif
keelie gal
my ma always tells me to keep sleep money......still canny work that one oot laugh.gif
celtic-chic67
My nana use to tell me never give anyone salt over the doorstep as it was bad luck.
she also thought elephants were bad luck to have in the house aswell as peacock feathers. rolleyes.gif
Heather
My mum is very superstitious. She never buys any clothes in green as she considers it an unlucky colour to wear. Crossed knives, a fight, crossed teaspoons, a christening. Never open an umbrella in the house, or put shoes on the table, even if they are still in the box, these are considered unlucky. If you spill salt/sugar, bad luck, throw some over your shoulder. rolleyes.gif

It seems a lot of our mums had the same superstitions.

I couldn't care less about any of them, as I am not superstitious. laugh.gif
jaybee
My mother told me the same stories re shoes, salt, ladder, etc., she also said never spin and hanger (clothes hanger).......
No. 10 Girl
My wee Nana insisted on burning her nail clippings in case a witch got hold of them! Yes I come from a strange lot!!!
celtic-chic67
Another one of my nana's was never sleep in your bed with your feet pointing to the door
as that's the way they carry you out when you snuff it.
Knife on the floor means man at the door (meaning the polis) if you drop a knife on the floor stand on it first before you pick it up. rolleyes.gif
glasgow lass
thats funny laugh.gif laugh.gif
murn
If you give someone a purse or wallet, you put a coin in it

Find a penny, pick it up. All day long you'll have good luck

Never buy pearls for yourself, it's bad luck

First footing should be tall and dark haired, with a piece of coal and cake

This goes back to the Vikings, when a blond-haired stranger arriving in the middle of the night at Scottish door was not usually lucky, the coal was to keep you warm and the cake to fill your belly.

My Gran would read the tea leafs for us but told us all the same thing we would meet a tall dark and handsome man, well a got the dark and handsome but not the tall wub.gif
Elma
My nana always said if you drop a knife on the floor a handsome man was coming to call, no mention of the police.
maryhillgal
Celtchik, my Dad always said that too about never facing your feet towards the bedroom door. To this day I always face the beds away from the door.
penny dainty
My Mum moved my bedroom furniture one day and the bed end was facing the door , my Dad shifted it back again as he wouldnt have your feet facing the door as it was the way they would carry you out.Later in life when I was training to be a nurse I was always told not to take a patient in bed out the door feet first, always take the head first so thay would come back.It was okay to bring them back to the ward feet first though and for the unfortunate ones , the feet end always did go out the door first.
No.10
QUOTE (CELTCHIC67 @ 17th Oct 2007, 11:54 PM) *
Another one of my nana's was never sleep in your bed with your feet pointing to the door
as that's the way they carry you out when you snuff it.
Knife on the floor means man at the door (meaning the polis) if you drop a knife on the floor stand on it first before you pick it up. rolleyes.gif

Down here if you drop a knife they say an argument is on the way. I suppose there would be if you dropped it on someone's foot laugh.gif
murn
if your left hand is itchy, your going to come into money rolleyes.gif
if your right hand is itchy, your going to meet someone wub.gif
stuarty
laugh.gif it was bad luck to cut your toenails on a sunday ,,,,,,, still dont know why to the extent if wanting to cut them and that is normally a sunday a wait until monday rolleyes.gif
celtic-chic67
Crossed knives in the sink means an argument
& an itchy nose means your going tae be angry mad.gif laugh.gif
angel
throw a pinch of spilled salt over you left shoulder. tongue.gif
TeeHeeHee
My mother would flush nail clippings away before burning them.
She kept a string of black "Rosary" beads which I found as a wee child and gave to her: they were not the blackcurrants that I first thought they were. Although she was a protestant she thought it would be heap bad medicine to throw them away.

Celt chic your nana was dead right about the elephants being nothing but bad luck in the house.
Ours had Dye O'Rea and we called the vet to find out what we could best give it.
"Bags o' room" was the reply.

Stick to Gerbils.
penny dainty
Peacock feathers are bad luck in the house.
Anne1
when there was thunder & lightning my granny went from to room blessing everywhere wae holy water wub.gif
brian432
QUOTE (penny dainty @ 27th May 2009, 07:25am) *
Peacock feathers are bad luck in the house.

I imagine Peacocks would be worse. laugh.gif
Anne1
laugh.gif laugh.gif
penny dainty
Decidedly Brian laugh.gif
big tommy
Dont sit on the edge ot the table :you wont get married fot 7 years.#One of my mothers favourites
But it never worked .WE (my 3 sisters and myself ) are married quite happily..
but she was so insistent
Dont pass a graveyard in the dark.All the spirits wil call to you.
For years i was terrified to pass a cemetry
Tommy

tombro
As for the elephants, how does anyone get one of them into a house ?

Tombro huh.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (tombro @ 28th Dec 2009, 09:35am) *
As for the elephants, how does anyone get one of them into a house ?

Tombro huh.gif

I think if you bring their trunk in first they will follow rolleyes.gif
bonnie22
For the salt,it was thrown at the doorstep if anyone other than our religion came knocking.It was also to warn off evil and bad luck. Bonnie
benny
QUOTE (Heather @ 16th Oct 2007, 11:39pm) *
My mum is very superstitious. She never buys any clothes in green as she considers it an unlucky colour to wear. . . .

That's supposed tae be because the Fairies tradtionally wore green, an ye might annoy them if ye stole their colour, Heather.

If ye meet a nun in the street always gie her a coupla bob - ma Ma wis Catholic right enough. Don't turn away "gipsy" pedlars frae the door withoot buyin somethin aff them - even if it's overpriced trash an ye're almost skint. Don't put shoes on the table, as someone already said, but ma Ma's reason wis that "ye wid be on it soon enough". I.E, broon breid, as the body used tae lie overnight in the hoose.
glasgow lass
QUOTE (murn @ 18th Oct 2007, 12:35am) *
If you give someone a purse or wallet, you put a coin in it

Find a penny, pick it up. All day long you'll have good luck

Never buy pearls for yourself, it's bad luck

First footing should be tall and dark haired, with a piece of coal and cake

This goes back to the Vikings, when a blond-haired stranger arriving in the middle of the night at Scottish door was not usually lucky, the coal was to keep you warm and the cake to fill your belly.

My Gran would read the tea leafs for us but told us all the same thing we would meet a tall dark and handsome man, well a got the dark and handsome but not the tall wub.gif

What aboot RICH! biggrin.gif
Dunvegan
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 27th May 2009, 08:39am) *
My mother would flush nail clippings away before burning them.
She kept a string of black "Rosary" beads which I found as a wee child and gave to her: they were not the blackcurrants that I first thought they were. Although she was a protestant she thought it would be heap bad medicine to throw them away.

Celt chic your nana was dead right about the elephants being nothing but bad luck in the house.
Ours had Dye O'Rea and we called the vet to find out what we could best give it.
"Bags o' room" was the reply.

Stick to Gerbils.

Burning and burying nail clippings is "day riggoorr" in sub Saharan Africa. It is still almost universally practiced in an effort to avoid the' Obeah" (witch doctors) from obtaining them and casting spells against them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.