Full Version: Nere Cast A Cloot
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Old Wifies' Tales
wee mags
my mammy had a saying about
nere caste a cloot till the month of May is oot,
I cant remeber the rest of it
karyn
"Ne'er cast a clout till May be out."
Don't remove winter vests (undergarments) until summer arrives.
wub.gif one of my mothers expresions too, ""keep yer chest covered""" was another!!!! had to think about that one xxxx
keelie gal
i remember that expression too karyn.keep yer chest covered laugh.gif
lexi
It`s actually ......Ne`r cast a cloot till Mays blossoms oot.

Alex
stuarty
cast before may ill all the way a never understood it as a wean but it meant if u take your clothes off before june you were ill all year who makes this stuff up laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
buntyq
Stuarty, I dont think the saying has anything to do with being ill all year. Usually it was chilly up until the end of May so we wore warm clothing. Hopefully, after the end of May the climate would get warmer. Hence the saying "ne'er cast a cloot til May is oot." I'm fairly certain this is the origin of the saying. Over here in America white was not worn from July 4 through Labor Day at the beginning of September.
buntyq
Correction on my post. White WAS worn from July 4 until Labor Day. Considered not fashionable after those dates.
stuarty
a was gonny say aboot white as serial killer mum killed one of the jurors for having white shoes on ha ha thats a film btw laugh.gif
Lennox
some place on here we covered this before , I had a liberty bodice when I ws little,

noo it a bullet proof vest wink.gif
Treees
Think you will find this has nothing to do with May the month, but the May Hawthorn. "Until May is out" is actually referring to the blossom on the May Hawthorn. Once it's bloomed then it's considered mild enough to venture out without thick winter clothing.
*Aileen*
QUOTE (wee mags @ 1st Jun 2005, 09:16pm) *

I remeber that one.. I don't think there was anything else just "nere cast a cloot till May be oot"
*Debbie*
Never cast a cloute till mays oot I thought it was you shouldn't wear open toe shoes/sandals till mays oot? Have I been wrong all this time?
jackelma04
[quote name='wee mags' date='1st Jun 2005, 08:23pm' post='53375']
I cant remember the rest of it
[

neither can i, but it makes a change to hear from MARYHILL,i was beginning to
think i was the only that lived there. I lived at number 1943 maryhill road
until 1952 and then flitted to drumchapel. Now for my sins I live in england/quote]
Billt Boil
QUOTE (wee mags @ 1st Jun 2005, 08:23pm) *

That wis it. There wus nae rest tae it!!!
lindamcf
I remember my Granny telling me that a cloot was a linen vest and you had to keep you chest covered until the weather got warm.
ktv
a cloot is any piece of cloth

it means never hang your washing out till the end of may
ashfield
From the Oxford dictionary

Definition of ne'er cast a clout till May be out in English:
proverb Do not discard your winter clothes until summer has fully arrived.
[With reference either to the month of May or to the blossom of the may or hawthorn, which blooms in May]
bilbo.s
QUOTE (ktv @ 28th Feb 2015, 03:14pm) *
a cloot is any piece of cloth

it means never hang your washing out till the end of may

Rubbish ! tongue.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (ashfield @ 28th Feb 2015, 04:26pm) *
From the Oxford dictionary

thumbup.gif
ktv
haha

so when people sing "bring doon the cloot bring doon the cloot" a big wooly jumper comes down?

ohmy.gif
john.mcn

clootie dumpling was wrapped up in a cloth/cloot to boil from what i remember
ashfield
QUOTE (ktv @ 1st Mar 2015, 03:34pm) *
haha

so when people sing "bring doon the cloot bring doon the cloot" a big wooly jumper comes down?

ohmy.gif

Again from the Oxford, the origin of the word "clothes"

before 900; Middle English; Old English clāthas, plural of clāth cloth
rolleyes.gif
Glasgow Guest
QUOTE (ktv @ 1st Mar 2015, 03:34pm) *
haha

ohmy.gif

You might find this helpful ...

Origins of Phrases
ktv
QUOTE (ashfield @ 1st Mar 2015, 04:41pm) *
Again from the Oxford, the origin of the word "clothes"

rolleyes.gif

so thatl be a yes then?

Lydya Bhinn
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 1st Mar 2015, 03:52pm) *
clootie dumpling was wrapped up in a cloth/cloot to boil from what i remember

Yon dumpling wis in achtual fackt a Xmas pudding which was wrapt in an auld vest ( it hud tae be an auld yin tae gie it othintisity) It wis then bilied in a washing copper, nae machines in yon daes, an wis stuffed wi silver thruppnies an sixpinces, that ye could brek yer teeh oan and served tae weans at xmas wi watery custard. Ye couldnae yaes the vest again as it smelt o' rasins an sinnamon. Us Guvin weans loved it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.