Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scotstoun And Yoker
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Home Life & Personal Memories
Pages: 1, 2
mmorriso
I am interested in hearing from anyone who lived in the Scotstoun or Yoker area. I lived there in the early fifties and would like to share memories of it.
david lowson
ask Hubert mmorriso
hubert
I trained at Holm park Yoker in the fifties for a wee while, Willie Blainey gave me a game for Yoker, but I lived up Kilbowie road tap of the hill, and dont really know Yoker or Scotstoun?
Rab-oldname
I lived on the other side of the river in Renfrew. A quick ferry ride and a wee walk up the street, under the railway bridge to catch a tram on Dumbarton Road to visit my Aunty in Partick. There was a great Tally ice-cream parlour on the corner of that street and Dumbarton Road where I used to take my girl-friends for a trip 'abroad'!.
Rab.
dmf
Rab, would that have been the Kelso Street Cafe, run by the Pelosi family, who also had premises just up from Farme Cross Dalmarnock?

dmf
Rab-oldname
I think you are correct - Pelosi rings a wee bell! The place had a twin on the Renfrew side at Izzis Ferry Cafe. A real marble ice-cream parlour with all the trimmings and ice-cream made on the premises, hot peas, the lot!.
Elma
I lived in Scotstoun from 1945 to 1959 In Upland Road, off Danes Drive. I was there ;ast year and our side of the road looked exactly the same but there are now houses where the field was between us and Queen Victoria Drive.
*nancy*
i was born in the house in langholm st yoker in 1947 giving my age away what agreat place to grow up iwent to the old yoker school infants middle and secondry ilived with my granny and granda katie and robert pollock iwent back and stayed with my ma da when they moved to the drum summerhill road in 1958 or 9 weewere about the first to move in to summerhill my ma da were mary and john bennett
*margaret*
i lived in yoker in the 60s we lived at 176 langholm st our name is devlin and we lived rite across from the park we had great neighbours one big family and i have a lot of good memories with them the lows, buchans, jimmy mcdonold the booky nxt door
as kids we were never bored we moved away in the 70s when ma da died went to live in cumbernauld we visited yoker regularly but then life has a habit of changing and everybody moves on
recently i went to visit a really nice neighbour she is still the same as i remember her but wat a change in the street the back courts and the old railway all been modernised we used to play over in the railway the old burn and the middens full of rats its a diffrent place now and most of the people are gone but memories for me are always with me
linda barr
I lived in 7 Langholm Street in the early 60's till about 1967. I remember my mum hated it, she thought it was too rough. I remember the freedom, we used to get the bus to school by ourselves, we were only 6! We used to go out to play and not come home for hours, and my mum had no idea where we were. I have my old school photo, some of the children look very poor, tatty shoes and shabby clothes but I can't remember ever noticing it. In the photo I remember Ian, Joe, Nancy and Helen. I went back to find it a few years back and had a bit of trouble because of the name change but when I did get there the whole of the street had been knocked down apart from the bit at the top I'd lived in so I was able to take some photographs. We left to move to Dunblane, what a difference. The children at my new school used to comment on my broad glasgow accent. I often wonder if my life would have been any different if I'd stayed in Langholm street. I only have happy memories of the place.
colin1962
QUOTE (linda barr @ 27th Aug 2010, 04:18pm) *
I lived in 7 Langholm Street in the early 60's till about 1967. I remember my mum hated it, she thought it was too rough. I remember the freedom, we used to get the bus to school by ourselves, we were only 6! We used to go out to play and not come home for hours, and my mum had no idea where we were. I have my old school photo, some of the children look very poor, tatty shoes and shabby clothes but I can't remember ever noticing it. In the photo I remember Ian, Joe, Nancy and Helen. I went back to find it a few years back and had a bit of trouble because of the name change but when I did get there the whole of the street had been knocked down apart from the bit at the top I'd lived in so I was able to take some photographs. We left to move to Dunblane, what a difference. The children at my new school used to comment on my broad glasgow accent. I often wonder if my life would have been any different if I'd stayed in Langholm street. I only have happy memories of the place.

*Agnes*
The Kelso Cafe was at the corner of Kelso Street and Dumbarton Road. It was owned by the Pelosi family and later by the Capaldi family who were related to the Pelosi's.
The Capaldi's now own the kilt hire shop which occupies that same premises.
pumps100
QUOTE (*Agnes* @ 4th Jan 2011, 03:01pm) *
The Kelso Cafe was at the corner of Kelso Street and Dumbarton Road. It was owned by the Pelosi family and later by the Capaldi family who were related to the Pelosi's.
The Capaldi's now own the kilt hire shop which occupies that same premises.

Is it not Yoker Ferry Road?

Regards

Ian
nippynell
I was born in " Scotstoun Building " thats the name it was known as, it was directly across from Connells shipyard on South street and just down from Windsor cottages. My mother Margaret was born there too, she was called Peggy her maiden name was Keyes, she had sisters Bridie,Betty, and Madalene who was tragically knocked down by a lorry and killed on South st. with another child I cant remember the other kiddys name, but Madalene was only seven, she also had an older step sister Winnie, along with two younger brothers John and Robert and an older step brother Mick who like Winnie were the oldest. There are many people I can remember from my chilhood in the late 50s till the " Building " was eventually demolished in the mid 60s. My mothers married name now "Gallagher" and my dad was Hugh, a long distance driver who tragically died in a road accident in 1966. My older brother, as I had two was Thomas aka Tam who palled it with Colin Mcnair aka Dedo, and James Martin aka Pepsi think for a short while he ran about with Raymond Love, always remember them trying to get "The Saints " haircut Friction or something! ..their friendship did'nt last long, really dont know how it ended, then there was Robert.. the youngest he palled it with Jim Campbell, and I palled it with both his sisters Betty and Catherine along with my older sister Elizabeth aka Liz...then there was Betty Schoular, Anne Mc Cormack, Kenneth Televish and his sister Lorna, Linda Deerie, the Smiths, George Neerys, Joan Mc Lean, Moira Gardner loads more, we used to go to whiteinch park , swimming pool , jump the dykes and every Satarday go to the Odeon matinee, and the manager would hold twist competitions and yoyo competions...great times probarley remember more ...take too much space lol would luv to hear from anyone who remembers these things and aspecially the people... biggrin.gif
nippynell
QUOTE (linda barr @ 27th Aug 2010, 04:18pm) *

Hi Linda ...just wandering ur name sounds so familiar, did u attend St Thomas Aquinas? and did u know the " Doris's " .. Sadie, Caroline, Hannah and Jane they have brothers too...Robert, Frank, Philip and Alan or the " McEwans " .. Nancy cant remember the brothers name...would be good to find out as my bestest wee pal is Sadie Doris and I would luv to tell her....Thx biggrin.gif
nippynell
QUOTE (pumps100 @ 7th Jan 2011, 09:49am) *
Is it not Yoker Ferry Road?

Regards

Ian

Hi there pumps100...I had no idea that the kilt shop was owned by them!...I'll need to let my niece know as she has her own Killt Shop in Alexandria, Thx for the info biggrin.gif
alybainfan
We lived at 20 something think it was 22 Kelso street in the early 70's, it was up near the corner of Alderman road and it was from that house we moved to London. smile.gif
*Agnes*
Ian

You're correct of course. Yoker Ferry Road it is.

Regards

Agnes
Tam Byrne
QUOTE (nippynell @ 7th Jan 2011, 09:12pm) *
Hi Linda ...just wandering ur name sounds so familiar, did u attend St Thomas Aquinas? and did u know the " Doris's " .. Sadie, Caroline, Hannah and Jane they have brothers too...Robert, Frank, Philip and Alan or the " McEwans " .. Nancy cant remember the brothers name...would be good to find out as my bestest wee pal is Sadie Doris and I would luv to tell her....Thx biggrin.gif

I lived in 107 Langholm St and attended St Brendans school in the late 60's and then went to Thomas Aquinas in 69. I loved the place as there was always something going on especially with the railway right at the back and the swing park in the street. Can any one rememberr the tragic accident concerning a motor bike going on fire and a young girl by the name of Alison dying? I stiil think of that accident to this day it wasthe first time that death occured in my young life.
linda barr
No, that's not me. I went to Yoker Primary school at the other end of the road. The only people I remember playing with were Ian Ogilvy and a Polish girl, and my friend at school was called Helen. Hope you find Sadie!
Marilyn Bissette
Hi All - I'm still on the theme of Langholm Street, I lived in number 94 from when I was 7 in 1955-1959 when I moved to a village in North Wales, near Caernarfon.

Like many of you we were quite poor in today's terms, but we didn't know it. I walked to school (St Brendans - where is that now?), used the tram to get to Whiteinch baths on my own at 7, used the ferry to get to Paisley Ice rink at 9, also on my own.

In the Summer we would go out in the morning and not return till tea time... and my mother would never ask where we had been or anything. We would wander around all over the place, having adventures. What freedom!

Just before I moved there was an incident where a youth was tied to a railway wagon and it was set on fire around bonfire night. He died. Was in all the papers.... does anyone remember that?

I remember the strictness of the school and church... I turned against the catholic religion when I was old enough to make my own decisions. The school was good though in terms of education.

I believe the houses are all knocked down now...
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (pumps100 @ 7th Jan 2011, 11:19am) *
Is it not Yoker Ferry Road? RegardsIan

Doubt it - theres no such thing as the Yoker Ferry. wink.gif
Elma
Right on, Rab smile.gif Although I lived in Scotstoun it was always the RENFREW Ferry biggrin.gif
mlconnelly
To the best of my knowledge Yoker Ferry Rd is directly across Dumbaton Rd from Kelso St and was were you got on or off the ferry when it was running. Mary
Dexter St. Clair
The comic singers know that but can't help themselves. The two ferries which were removed the crossing last year were known as the Renfrew Rose and the Yoker Swan. They ran between the terminal in Yoker Ferry Road and the terminal at Ferry Road in Renfrew
karen63
QUOTE (linda barr @ 2nd May 2011, 06:47pm) *
No, that's not me. I went to Yoker Primary school at the other end of the road. The only people I remember playing with were Ian Ogilvy and a Polish girl, and my friend at school was called Helen. Hope you find Sadie!

karen63
Hi, Dont know if any one can help me, i used to live at 150, langholm street, we left there to move down south in 1970, i am trying to trace anyone who remembers us, family name Crabb, Alex, Nancy, Rhonda,Alex,Joyce, Jimmy,Karen and Wee Nancy, thanks
karen63
QUOTE (*margaret* @ 18th Mar 2010, 12:29pm) *
i lived in yoker in the 60s we lived at 176 langholm st our name is devlin and we lived rite across from the park we had great neighbours one big family and i have a lot of good memories with them the lows, buchans, jimmy mcdonold the booky nxt door
as kids we were never bored we moved away in the 70s when ma da died went to live in cumbernauld we visited yoker regularly but then life has a habit of changing and everybody moves on
recently i went to visit a really nice neighbour she is still the same as i remember her but wat a change in the street the back courts and the old railway all been modernised we used to play over in the railway the old burn and the middens full of rats its a diffrent place now and most of the people are gone but memories for me are always with me

Hi, i was living in 150, Langholm street the same time as you were, you proberly know my older sisters and brothers better, Rhonda and Alex Crabb, Rhonda lives in Spain and Alex in OZ now
marysynnot
QUOTE (*nancy* @ 17th Jul 2009, 10:33pm) *
i was born in the house in langholm st yoker in 1947 giving my age away what agreat place to grow up iwent to the old yoker school infants middle and secondry ilived with my granny and granda katie and robert pollock iwent back and stayed with my ma da when they moved to the drum summerhill road in 1958 or 9 weewere about the first to move in to summerhill my ma da were mary and john bennett

marysynnot
HI,
Iam doing my family tree and have come across an Agnes Mckinnon kennedy who married a William McNab and then a distant relative of mine Thomas Cassidy Mckay. Know children are William Mcnab and Alexander McKay and Thomas Cassidy Mckay. They lived in 107 Langholm street and I believe there were an Elizabeth and John McNab at 95 Langholm Street.
Elizabeth Kennedy is recorded as a hotel waitress.
Let me know if you have any details of these. Thomas Cassidy Mckay senior is my distant relation.
Best regards
Mary
axil
Here's a wee poem I wrote about Yoker, I was born in Langholm Street but left there when I was 6 and moved to Peterson Park. Do any of you remember the fish shop at the bottom of Kelso St? And the Anchorage is still there.

A YOKER CONTRAST.

Part One.

With wellies and white apron on, the woman leaves the shop
To soap up all her windows wide, to watch, I had to stop.
Throwing pails of water up, to wash away the foam,
It cascades down so delicately, it’s like a little stream.

White marbled counter, feathered black, is polished, shining bright.
The floor tiles always left ‘til last, when they lock up at night.
Large wooden tables being scrubbed, vigorously by hand,
The double handed brush they use, does as it's command.

Their knuckles white with faces red from rocking to and fro
They must work hard to get it done, before it’s time to go.
The heavy bristles on the brush are tearing up the grain
But they clean away the debris to leave it right as rain.

It’s strange that when we talk of fish, we conjure up a smell
But in this shop, no bouquet here because there’s nothing stale.
The workers now are going home and some may go out dancing,
The Locarno ballroom up the town, is where they’ll find romancing!

The Other Part.

The gentlemen, all local men, they stand outside their pub.
The Anchorage will soon be packed and they will have their fill.
The vendor sells them The Pink Times, to check up on their club
They go inside to air their views, with pint and quarter gill.

A Saturday night, a busy time, a time for fights and singing,
A skirmish starts and that is stopped until he starts again.
The punches fly, the boots go in but still the tills are ringing
He crawls outside, a bloody face, the measure of his pain.

The drunken crowds pour out the pub, it must be half past ten
And gather on the corner, to say goodbye to friends.
They stagger home and cling to rails and sometimes fall in closes
But home they’ll get, it may take hours, not smelling much like roses.

They’ll go to mass, or even church, if awakened Sunday morning.
Their thumping heads and bloodshot eyes, they’re on a faithless mission .
These hypocrites, they must attend but inwardly they’re groaning.
Shaking still, a priestly fear, goads them into submission.

With service over and handshakes done, they need hair of the dog.
The only place where comfort’s found, is there behind the bar.
A lonely place inside his head, deep breathing now with mouth agog,
His brain’s still pickled, at last found heaven, drinking nectar from his jar.
axil
This is another poem written about Yoker and in particular my sister Mamie. I think everybody in Yoker knows her!!

Mamie.

A Saturday meant Whiteinch baths, I want those days, so many laughs.
Scared of water, full of fear, the reason Mamie brought me here.
I was five and she eleven, the swimming pool, to her was heaven.
Her confidence was really high and from the highest board she’d dive.

She’d jump right off and straighten out, then disappear completely.
A perfect dive, it went so fast, she’d reappear so neatly.
All I could do was watch in awe, a rubber ring around my waist,
Dangling in the pool below, I’d watch her glide with haste.

I loved to watch my sister swim, it seemed like nothing fazed her
But she was good, if not the best, at her age, in the water.
I loved those days, they’re memories now, but still I have a smile
I now can swim and owe it all, to Mamie’s special style.

Sometimes we’d miss and down the road, there was this magic place.
Where dreams came true, if for a day, inside this comfy palace.
The seats were huge, the ceilings high, ornate in red and gold
I’d wriggle round, stare at the screen, I’m five not very old.

The lights go out and darkness falls and that’s the magic sign
Then through the black, there shines a beam, a single little line
The clicking sounds and flickering light, that’s how “flicks” got its name,
The picture starts, the screen’s alive, a hush now fills the air.

Near the end, I hear a scream and turn to Mamie frightened
She tells me lies and deathly tales, so awful, I start crying.
Banshees wail, fly through the air with horses white and ghostly,
They’re scaring me, I want to go but Mamie scared me mostly.

nippynell
QUOTE (axil @ 26th Sep 2011, 11:09pm) *
This is another poem written about Yoker and in particular my sister Mamie. I think everybody in Yoker knows her!!

Mamie.

A Saturday meant Whiteinch baths, I want those days, so many laughs.
Scared of water, full of fear, the reason Mamie brought me here.
I was five and she eleven, the swimming pool, to her was heaven.
Her confidence was really high and from the highest board she’d dive.

She’d jump right off and straighten out, then disappear completely.
A perfect dive, it went so fast, she’d reappear so neatly.
All I could do was watch in awe, a rubber ring around my waist,
Dangling in the pool below, I’d watch her glide with haste.

I loved to watch my sister swim, it seemed like nothing fazed her
But she was good, if not the best, at her age, in the water.
I loved those days, they’re memories now, but still I have a smile
I now can swim and owe it all, to Mamie’s special style.

Sometimes we’d miss and down the road, there was this magic place.
Where dreams came true, if for a day, inside this comfy palace.
The seats were huge, the ceilings high, ornate in red and gold
I’d wriggle round, stare at the screen, I’m five not very old.

The lights go out and darkness falls and that’s the magic sign
Then through the black, there shines a beam, a single little line
The clicking sounds and flickering light, that’s how “flicks” got its name,
The picture starts, the screen’s alive, a hush now fills the air.

Near the end, I hear a scream and turn to Mamie frightened
She tells me lies and deathly tales, so awful, I start crying.
Banshees wail, fly through the air with horses white and ghostly,
They’re scaring me, I want to go but Mamie scared me mostly.

Brilliant...R u talking bout " THE ODEON " What a great picture house!!!
annmcc53
QUOTE (Tam Byrne @ 7th Apr 2011, 12:37am) *
I lived in 107 Langholm St and attended St Brendans school in the late 60's and then went to Thomas Aquinas in 69. I loved the place as there was always something going on especially with the railway right at the back and the swing park in the street. Can any one rememberr the tragic accident concerning a motor bike going on fire and a young girl by the name of Alison dying? I stiil think of that accident to this day it wasthe first time that death occured in my young life.

HI TAM i remember that she was alison currian she lived next door to the fearns 103 langholm st and her pal was margaret duncanson who was badlt burned in the accident im sure there was a boy as well
nippynell
QUOTE (annmcc53 @ 13th Dec 2011, 01:01am) *
[quote name='Tam Byrne' date='7th Apr 2011, 12:37am' post='35300

HI TAM i remember that she was alison currian she lived next door to the fearns 103 langholm st and her pal was margaret duncanson who was badlt burned in the accident im sure there was a boy as well

I'm positive Margaret Duncanson was in my class at st. Tams.
karen baker
QUOTE (annmcc53 @ 13th Dec 2011, 12:58am) *

Hi was the little girl badly burned in this accident called Nancy Gallagher, i lived at 150 Langholm Street we left for Southampton in 1971
rosiedouglas123456
QUOTE (*nancy* @ 17th Jul 2009, 11:02pm) *

i knew the bennetts i lived in yoker 208 langholm st my name was douglas we had a big family stephen magaret thomas theresa rose (me) mary elizabeth william sandra and kathleen i loved yoker been back a few times if you dont know me you may know theresa she hung around with a pudgy bennett if your the same family im on facebook under rosie douglas if you want to have a look go ahead nice chatting to you bye x
kenb
does any onr remember my dads family or ndeed my dad BOOTH tam booth i would love to get in touch with them again lost touch by the working away excuse or living in geordie land.they came to the drun from whiteinch and scotstoun i used to cycle to my granny booths on a sunday from the drum i also ran for the school four times at scotstoun show grounds we done realy well we had white lightning on our side jacky beagan memories
rosiedouglas123456
QUOTE (*margaret* @ 18th Mar 2010, 01:51pm) *

rosiedouglas123456
i stayed in yoker aswell in 1962 i was 8 origanally from govan 8 burndyke st moved in to 208 lanholm st and loved it we had a girl stayed in the st called alison curren she was killed in a motor bike accident it went up in flames in the street she got killed cant remember who it belonged to but it was some fella across the rd fae us shame she was ma wee pal i always remember that i also remember the big manky rats when we where oot the back climbing the middens my namw was douglas then i came from a large family we had stephen, magaret, tommy,theresa,rose thats me mary belle wally sandie johnny and kathleen my mum was flora douglas got called flo ma da got called stevie he worked in the yarrows ship yards anyone know of us get in touch i am on facebook aswell as rosie douglas just msg me i will reply i promise remember a pudgy bennett and mo wilson and the gourleys stayed above us top flat anyway have to go to wrk now so keep in touch if you want to bye
rosiedouglas123456
QUOTE (annmcc53 @ 13th Dec 2011, 02:57am) *
[quote name='Tam Byrne' date='7th Apr 2011, 12:37am' post='35300

hi tam im rosie douglas from 208 langholm street alison currian was my friend i remember some of what happend back then the guy who owend the bike got hurt or killed im not certain would love to know for sure but i miss alison and often think of that day the gourleys stayed up the stair from us my mother was flora douglas my da was stevie he worked in yarrows if you ever want to chat about yoker im on facebook under rosie douglas as i am trying to trace an old friend from way back called anne turkington we hung about together and another girl called catherine murray and her sister rosemary murray married a fella called allan she was my older sister theresa,s pal. i also remember wee maureen wilson known as wee mo i went to see her just for a visit down memory lane it was very nice to be back anyway if you know me and want to get in touch then i leave it in your hands bye everyone t/c

anybody fae yoker may contact me if they wish would be great to hear from old friends xx im married and most people dont find who they are looking for under their married name so put maiden name if possible bye
rosiedouglas123456
QUOTE (linda barr @ 27th Aug 2010, 05:55pm) *

hi linda from yoker names rosie douglas lived in 208 langholm street loved it back then the house we stayed in is still there just revamped a bit still a close probely have nae rats running aroon the midden like we did loved the wee park and that see saw i fell aff it banged my heed lol but i remember the lovely cafe where we all went with oor pals for ice cream showing aff anyway linda im on facebook if you ever want to chat under rosie douglas as no one knows me by my married name takecare bye
rosiedouglas123456
QUOTE (Elma @ 20th Jun 2011, 02:50am) *
Right on, Rab smile.gif Although I lived in Scotstoun it was always the RENFREW Ferry biggrin.gif

yip we always refferred to it as the renfrew ferry strange isnt it wee rosie douglas bye
donnadoo
I lived at number 20 Langholm Street from 1960 to 1974 went to yoker primary and then victoria drive lived across the road from the Bennets and next close to the Higgins other neighbours i remember were the clarks who s young brother died in a hit and run when he was 5 my family name was Reid

donnadoo
hi i lived at number 20 langholm street from 1957 to 1974 family name Reid
*tam*
QUOTE (rosiedouglas123456 @ 13th Jul 2012, 02:03pm) *
hi linda from yoker names rosie douglas lived in 208 langholm street loved it back then the house we stayed in is still there just revamped a bit still a close probely have nae rats running aroon the midden like we did loved the wee park and that see saw i fell aff it banged my heed lol but i remember the lovely cafe where we all went with oor pals for ice cream showing aff anyway linda im on facebook if you ever want to chat under rosie douglas as no one knows me by my married name takecare bye

hi rosie i lived up above the trainers 208 langy 1978 gourleys were still there also macalease bottom right across from trainers
*tam*
QUOTE (donnadoo @ 22nd Jul 2012, 05:36pm) *
hi i lived at number 20 langholm street from 1957 to 1974 family name Reid

the twins
marysynnot
QUOTE (karen baker @ 30th Jan 2012, 01:14am) *
Hi was the little girl badly burned in this accident called Nancy Gallagher, i lived at 150 Langholm Street we left for Southampton in 1971

Hi Karen,
I am doing my family tree and have an Agnes McKinnon Kennedy living at 107 Langholm Street
Yoker, in April 1960. She marries a Thomas Cassidy McKay of 26 Crossburn Street Glasgow, aged 28 - a railway porter. His father is a merchant seaman. Agnes is an hotel waitress. Her father is a gas fitter married to Elizabeth Kennedy - maiden surname Johnston.
Witnesses are John and Elizabeth McNab of 95 Langholm street.
There are perhaps children: Alexander Kennedy McKay and Thomas Cassidy McKay.
My great great grandmother was a Bridget McKenna who married a Thomas Cassidy who drowned at an early age.I am related to her son Thomas Cassidy who also died young at age 29 in Port Glasgow.
Do you know of any of these people? There is also a brother of Thomas who lived in Belmont street Clydebank and died 1916.
Very eager to hear from anyone who knows these people and especially whereabouts in Ireland my great great grandmother and father came from?
Many thanks
Family researcher
marysynnot
QUOTE (Marilyn Bissette @ 3rd May 2011, 01:42pm) *
Hi All - I'm still on the theme of Langholm Street, I lived in number 94 from when I was 7 in 1955-1959 when I moved to a village in North Wales, near Caernarfon.

Like many of you we were quite poor in today's terms, but we didn't know it. I walked to school (St Brendans - where is that now?), used the tram to get to Whiteinch baths on my own at 7, used the ferry to get to Paisley Ice rink at 9, also on my own.

In the Summer we would go out in the morning and not return till tea time... and my mother would never ask where we had been or anything. We would wander around all over the place, having adventures. What freedom!

Just before I moved there was an incident where a youth was tied to a railway wagon and it was set on fire around bonfire night. He died. Was in all the papers.... does anyone remember that?

I remember the strictness of the school and church... I turned against the catholic religion when I was old enough to make my own decisions. The school was good though in terms of education.

I believe the houses are all knocked down now...

linda barr
QUOTE (karen baker @ 30th Jan 2012, 01:14am) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.