Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: John Mcgrory / Old St. Mungos
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
jock
When I was student at the old St, Mungos Academy (the one that was originally a stable) there was a little tea shop/store acros the street which was owned by John McGrory, allegedly a one time famous celtic player. Also there was another story around that shop about a goalie who was kicked in the head and died while making a save. Does anyone have any info. if these schoolboy stories were true.
wee anne
: dry.gif jock my brother went to st mungos dont know if it was around your time he went 1956 there about.si will ask him if he heard that story.
hankjay
jock, i remember hearing that story about the celtic goalie.
i think it happened back in the late 1920`s or early 1930`s.
hank
hankjay
jock, that goalie`s name was john thompson and the accident happened during a game in 1931.
jock
Thanks hankjay I'll assume at least one of the old stories is correct. This board is amazing. Wee Anne my brother started at St Mungo's in 1956 then left after about 2yrs. to come to the U.S. and continue his schooling. ( after st.mungo's it was very easy) His name was Gerald .
hubert
John Thompson dived for the ball without fear in front of Sam English, who was the Rangers centre forward, Sam`s knee I believe struck Thompsons head, and he died shortly after the incident in hospital?
I would see Sam English in his garden near the Dalmuir municipal golf course, he was a stones throw from the first tee there!
I was a school kid, and Sam English was an older man retired?
jimmyd
Hi Jock , go to this site and register,you will find info there .I think there is actually a video you can download
of the John Thompson incident.I think you will find that tea room was owned by Jimmy McGrory,was manager of Celtic from the 40s up to the late 50s,also played in that game.He is famous for scoring 3 goals in 3 minutes ,as in all folkore there is a song about it. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

http://www.celticfc.net/
jock
Thanks Jimmyd, so far I haven't been able pull up the celtic site, but I now have it on my list of favorites and will keep trying when I can give my small computer more time to "grind". Your information seems to fit. I attended old St.Mungo's in the late 1940's. :roll
Johnny McGrory
Johnny McGrory did go to St. Mungo's, but he was the British Empire Featherweight Champion in 1936...it was Jimmy McGrory who was the footballer for Celtic.

Johnny was my grandfather.
Anne1
rolleyes.gif welcome to the boards johnny enjoy the gabbin
jock
Thanks for the info. Johnny and welcome to the boards, you come from a famous family. Were the old Johnny and Jimmy related?
annie laurie
Hello Jock.

I grew up in Drumoyne, and I remember a footbal Player that was kicked in the head and died,
His Name was Hector McDonald,
Dont know they team he played for,
I just remember a very large funeral passing Drumoyne School on the Sheildhall Rd,
And we were told later he was a Football Player, that was in the 50's
Heather
I learned this song from my dad, it was one of the few songs he ever sang. Dad was at the football match when Johnny was killed in a terrible accident while diving for the ball. Mum said dad was in tears when he came home.

Our 95yrs old mum still sings it, and it gave us a laugh last week when we went to a meeting in the Nursing Home mum went into recently, it was to see how she was settling in. The Matron said, " your mum likes to sing and entertains us with all her songs". I asked, " has she sung you the Johnny Thomson song yet ". The Matron asked, " how did you know ". The family all burst out laughing.

Johnny Thomson Song.

I took a trip to Parkhead,
To that famous paradise
As the bhoys made their appearance,
Sure a tear came to my eye's.

A familiar face was missing
From the green & white brigade
They told me Johnny Thomson,
His last game he had played.

Was a young lad named John Thomson,
From Wesley Fife he came
To play for Glasgow Celtic
And to build himself a name.

On the 5th day of September
Against the Rangers Club he played,
From defeat he saved the Celtic,
Oh but what a price he paid.

The ball was on Sam English,
John ran out and dived
The ball rolled on but John lay still,
For his club this hero died.

Farewell my gallant Johnny,
For the best of friends must part
No more we'll stand and cheer you,
On the slopes of Celtic park.

The fans they all are silent
As they travel near and far
No more they'll cheer John Thomson,
That bright and shining star.

So play up Glasgow Celtic
Stand up and play your game
Between your posts a spirit stands
Johnny Thomson is his name.
jock
Thanks Heatherfor a great addition............I don't know the tune your mum uses but I find that it fits well with the tune of an old irish song which begins with "It seems like only yesterday I sailed from out of Cork" etc.,etc.,.
Heather
Jock, that's not the tune, but it is the tune of an Irish song and right now I'm trying to remember the name of the song. I'll have to listen to the Irish tapes I have and see if I can find the name of the song.

Our dad rarely sang, but when he did it was usually the Johnny Thomson song. As I said, we grew up knowing it as mum was a good singer so she also sang it and still does.

There is also a song about Jimmy McGrory and my eldest brother sang it, but I can't remember the words.

It starts:
Have you heard of James McGrory from the hills of Garngad!!!!!! it's sung to the tune of, 'Phil the Fluters Ball.

Maybe some of the men on the Board will know it.

As you can see I grew up in a family of Celtic Supporters, and my husband who has five brothers are the same.
One of my bros-in-law used to cry when Celtic got beat. He took a lot of kidding about that. laugh.gif
Heather
Jock, the nearest tune I can find for the Johnny Thomson song is , ' Noreen Bawn '. It's on a tape I have and it's all Irish songs and the name of the tape is, ' Thoughts of Ireland '.
It's a medley tape with all different singers. Dominic Kirwan is the one singing Noreen Bawn.
celtic-chic67
smile.gif HI Jock,here's a wee photo of Johnny Thomson it's taken when the fatal accident happend.
Heather
This is a poem written by my cousin's son, he has his own site full of Celtic poems.

The poem, 'Raised on Celtic ' was picked up by, ' Charlie and The Bhoys', put to music and is on one of their discs.

Daniel McDonagh

James McGrory – The Garngad Lad

When the name of Celtic mentioned
And of the players who played at Parkhead,
The history books will remember
The goals scored by Jimmy McGrory’s head.

On April the 26th in 1904
In the Garngad, James McGrory was born,
And Glasgow’s east end would sing once again
For McGrory, a legendary Celtic son.

The Garngad lad’s Celtic career
Started with a game against Third Lanark
As he played at Parkhead, the inside-right position,
Taking the role of an injured Patsy Gallagher.

The 1925 Scottish Cup final
Was played against the blues of Dundee,
The only goal of the game was scored by McGrory
Who secured Celtic’s 11th Scottish Cup victory.

In 1928, on January the 14th
Dunfermline passed through Parkhead’s old gates,
A world record was captured by Jimmy McGrory,
Out of Celtic’s nine goals, he scored eight.

He was skillfully blessed with a brilliant striker’s instinct
As he played in the centre forward position,
When he scored the lone goal of the ’33 Final,
He suffered two broken teeth in an innocent collision.

Only seven caps he was awarded for playing for his country,
Maybe he should have been born under a Masonic star-sign,
His talents were ignored by the National team selectors,
Who showed their anti-Celtic bias of the time.

Jimmy McGrory’s career at Parkhead lasted 15 years
As he played for the Hoops from his heart,
In his last game, he scored his last goal
In a 4-3 victory over Queens Park.

He became the manager of Kilmarnock during the Second World War,
Where the lack of games were played,
In 1945, when the War had ended
He returned to his spiritual home of Parkhead.

For 20 years he served as Celtic’s manager
And brought success to the Hoops of green,
In 1965, he retired from management
To make way for the immortal, Jock Stein.

© Daniel McDonagh

Poems by:
Daniel McDonagh

· 40 Years Ago In Lisbon
· A 100 Years of the Hoops
· A Poem for Henrik Larsson
· Aiden McGeady
· All Roads Lead to Paradise
· Battle of the Greens – The Dixie Deans Final
· Bring Back the Pride
· Brother Walfrid Stands by Parkhead's Gates
· Celtic Minded
· Celtic v Racing Club of Argentina - 1967
· Frank McAvennie
· From The Slopes of Old Parkhead
· Hail Hail Cesar (Bill McNeill)
· Hartley the Bhoy
· Heaven Rejoiced As Parkhead Erupted
· I Watch the Celtic through my Father's Eyes
· In the Old East End of Glasgow
· James McGrory – The Garngad Lad
· Jimmy Johnstone
· Johnny Doyle of the Celtic
· Legends, Heroes & Celtic
· May 1967
· Midnight at Celtic Park
· Neil Lennon
· On The Road to Paradise
· Raised on Celtic
· Sunday at Ruchill Park
· The 1957 October Revolution
· The American Celt
· The Bhoy from Croy
· The Bhoy Who Lived the Dream
· The Death of John Thomson
· The Fans Sang Out For Celtic (1967)
· The Fans Sang Out for Jimmy Johnstone
· The Glory of the Green
· The Hero of the Glasgow Irish
· The Holy Goalie (Artur Boruc)
· The Indian Juggler
· The Mighty Jimmy Quinn
· The Number 18 Shirt
· The Sardine Cup Final
· The Winning Goal in Lisbon
· They Wore the Hoops of Green & White
· Wee Jinky
Marion Niven Dougan
Heather the poems, could you please send them via email to me. mariondougan2@yahoo.com. I would like to send to my niece and nephews, major Celtic fans. My brother has a taxi business in Viewpark, he used to pick Wullie Johson fae the miners club, when he hud a weee drink. My brother knows alll his family well. My sis. in law went to school with him. A lot of the auld players live in viepark
mcdonagh
Best places to find poems by Daniel McDonagh would be the following links:

http://www.footballpoets.org/search.asp?Fi...p;Submit=search

http://www.keep-the-faith.net/poetpage.htm

Cheers

mcdonagh
jock
Thanks mcdonagh for the fantastic links and the amazing list of poems!!! I especially liked the "Ballad of Brother Walfrid" since I remember a Brother Walfrid at St Mungo's Academy when I attended there in the 1940's. Wonder if he inspired the poet!

Marion, now you can send your relatives a new poem each week for at least the next year!

Many thanks Mcdonagh

Jock
murn
QUOTE (mcdonagh @ 22nd Oct 2007, 09:35 AM) *
Best places to find poems by Daniel McDonagh would be the following links:

http://www.footballpoets.org/search.asp?Fi...p;Submit=search

http://www.keep-the-faith.net/poetpage.htm

Cheers

mcdonagh

Any relation?? smile.gif
mcdonagh
aye, i'm afraid it's me...................... rolleyes.gif
wee mags
I just read some of your poems ,BRAW abslutely BRAW,
I hope Valleyboy, and celtichick see this post wink.gif
murn
QUOTE (mcdonagh @ 22nd Oct 2007, 08:59 PM) *
aye, i'm afraid it's me......................

ah! ha! thought so tongue.gif
great stuff wub.gif
jock
All that poetry and apparently from maryhill too ! (according to a poem). Are ye still around Kearny, N.J.? That's where I first stopped when I came to America from maryhill. rolleyes.gif
Aaron McGuckin
QUOTE (jock @ 2nd Aug 2003, 08:00am) *
When I was student at the old St, Mungos Academy (the one that was originally a stable) there was a little tea shop/store acros the street which was owned by John McGrory, allegedly a one time famous celtic player. Also there was another story around that shop about a goalie who was kicked in the head and died while making a save. Does anyone have any info. if these schoolboy stories were true.

There was a celtic goalie (Johnny Thompson) who playing against rangers came out to collect the ball and got kicked in the head, he died instantly on the pitch
CaltonBhoy1967
QUOTE (jock @ 2nd Aug 2003, 08:45am) *

Celtic had a Jimmy McGrory but also a Johnny McGrory.

John Thomson is the keeper who tragically died at Ibrox on 5th September 1931 - The John Thomson Memorial Committee hold an Anniversay Ceremeony every yesr in commerration of A Truly Great Celt.Was through this year and it was a great day.

There used to be a tribute which a brickie had laid to John Thomson on one of the streets cutting down off the Gallowgate towards Celtic Park -It was part of our matchly routine too look at it as youngsers when we walked up to the games.

It was in the shape of a set of goals with a ball and boot.
jock
Thanks CaltonBHOY for verifying these old stories.
Zorro
QUOTE (CaltonBhoy1967 @ 16th Sep 2010, 10:09pm) *
Celtic had a Jimmy McGrory but also a Johnny McGrory.

John Thomson is the keeper who tragically died at Ibrox on 5th September 1931 - The John Thomson Memorial Committee hold an Anniversay Ceremeony every yesr in commerration of A Truly Great Celt.Was through this year and it was a great day.

There used to be a tribute which a brickie had laid to John Thomson on one of the streets cutting down off the Gallowgate towards Celtic Park -It was part of our matchly routine too look at it as youngsers when we walked up to the games.

It was in the shape of a set of goals with a ball and boot.

Sorry CaltonBhoy but your story re the Ball , the Boot and the Goals is wrong. It had nothing to do with John Thomson's death and was there long before he died in 1931. It was removed from its original site several years ago and can now be seen in the Bambury Centre in Yate Street in Barrowfield. The sculpture was put in place by an old causier from Abercrombie Street who happened to be working there ,outside the Police Station at the top of Yate Street, and was being pestered by school kids. He set them on an errand to find funny shaped stones to keep them occupied so he could work away at his job. He then placed the stones in the street to form the Ball , the Boot and the Goals. One theory was that it was also placed there as a memorial to Bridgeton Waverley Juniors whose home park Barrowfield was just a couple of hundred yards walk from the Police Station but even this does not match up with the era in which they played at Barrowfield. The old guy who scculptured it was either named Malloy or Malone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.