Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scottish Junior Cup
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Oor Wullie
I've just noticed that, on Sunday, Linlithgow Rose won the Junior Cup for the third time, beating Kelty Hearts in the final.

Can anybody tell me what the attendance was for this game ?.

In my schooldays, the Junior Cup Final was played at Hampden Park and always attracted huge crowds.
Java
Over 9000 biggrin.gif

Junior Cup
Oor Wullie
Thanks to Java for the link.

I've just dug out my programme for the 1960 ~ 61 final. Dunbar United v Cambuslang Rangers.

I can't find what the attendance was but it was a lot more than the 9000 this year's finalists attracted.

The record attendance for a JCF is 77,651 - 1951 Petershill v Irvine Meadow.

Those were the days .
Java
I think that's such a shame. It would appear that football itself is still as popular and with constant concern over home grown talent, I wonder why the crowds are falling at events like this... huh.gif
iancameron
The drop in attendance is because of the ground rules that are imposed now.before you could cram them in. In the 44/45 quarter final of the junior cup Pollok had 15000 in the ground, and the platform of pollokshaws east railway station was mobbed by people paying for a platform ticket and watched the match from there. I think the legal capacity for Newlands is 2000.
Java
Could it not just be held somewhere bigger? (or is that jist wee wumman's logic...huh.gif) If it was held at Hampden before, why not now? Go on, yer gonna tell me it aw comes down tae money again int ye...
iancameron
No Im not Java, it depends on what ground is available at the time, dont forget hampden is used for more than football.
wink.gif
Oor Wullie
QUOTE (Java @ 6th Jun 2007, 05:02 AM) *
I I wonder why the crowds are falling at events like this... huh.gif

I think a combination of things has caused the dramatic drop in the fortunes of junior football [and not only junior football] in Scotland.

Quite apart from the changes in our lifestyle since the 50's which have made their own contribution, we've become seduced by the glamour of the English Premier League. It looks to me as though a lot of fams would rather stay at home and watch the superstars on TV than support the local teams.
mitchell
Anybody back home got an idea as to what stage it is at, and who plays who in near future.
I loved going to watch those games, far more entertaining than some of the overpaid hasbeens that are playing in the SPL.
irrie
QUOTE (mitchell @ 13th Mar 2011, 02:16am) *
Anybody back home got an idea as to what stage it is at, and who plays who in near future.
I loved going to watch those games, far more entertaining than some of the overpaid hasbeens that are playing in the SPL.

Hi Mitchell. Junior cup a bit confused because of postponements but i wil try to keep you up to date once it gets going again. Iused to love it when semi final was played at Firhill. Cheers
ashfield
Mtchell, here is a link to the fixtures. Te cup games have been disrupted by the exceptionally bed weather, some teams didn't play for 11 weeks. I go to junior games rather than senior as, in my opinion, better value for money. Sadly my team ( not Ashfield) went out in an early round.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/sjfa/competitions.cfm?page=1999
mitchell
Thanks for the info guys and the link Ashfield.
Ashfield now there was a great wee side.
Yes you, guys are having it rough will us Aussies swelter in this heat. laugh.gif
irrie
morning all. Boness mussleburgh Auchinleck are in semis. Dalry v K Rob Roy on Sat 26 to complete line up. I think Auchinleck will be fav after beating Irvine Meadow. Cheers
irrie
Morning all. Draw for semis. Auchinleck v Boness. Musselburgh V Dalry. Games over 2 legs 1st legs April 16th Cheers
mitchell
Two legs?
When did this start for a semi or any other game in the junior cup?
Thanks for the info Irrie.
Boness, they were a good side many years ago, I would back them.
Mathieson
Auchinleck v Bo'ness could get a wee bit spicey! ohmy.gif
irrie
I think this is 1st yr of 2 leg semis dont know the reason probably financial. Auchinleck and Boness were the favourites before the draw was made so it should be a good game. Cheers
mitchell
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 2nd Apr 2011, 11:20am) *
Auchinleck v Bo'ness could get a wee bit spicey! ohmy.gif

I reckon Matty that it would be a lot better to watch than some of the overpaid tossers who call themselves footballers, and play in the SPL.
Yes Irrie it will be a great game, is it on TV?
mitchell
Anybody got the results from the semis please!
irrie
Semis not till 16th 1st legs. Even the final is not on tv now STv dropped it a couple of yrs ago.Maybe Alba will pick it up. Cheers
Mathieson
QUOTE (mitchell @ 2nd Apr 2011, 01:46pm) *
I reckon Matty that it would be a lot better to watch than some of the overpaid tossers who call themselves footballers, and play in the SPL.
Yes Irrie it will be a great game, is it on TV?

In terms of excitement, and at this stage of the cup, I wouldn't disagree with you. However, in my experience run of the mill junior games acan be pretty dire.
irrie
Morning all. Semi final 1st leg scores. Auchinleck 2 Boness 0. Mussleburgh 1 Dalry 0. All stilll in with some sort of chance. 2nd legs next Sat 23rd. Cheers
Mathieson
I hear that Musselburgh have to go into the second leg without their star striker who went off injured on Saturday.
mitchell
Thanks for the results guys, did not hear any of the scores.
The return game for Bonees at home should be a cracker, keep the info up.and if you get reports would love to read them.
irrie
Morning all. 2nd leg scores boness 1 Auchinleck 3. Dalry 1 Mussleburgh 1. Auchinleck v mussleburgh final. Will try to get reports and more details probably tomorrow Cheers
mitchell
Thanks Irrie, will be a great final.
They must be the first East side since Tranent to get to the final in a long time?
irrie
Morning all. The game is live on Alba on Sunday afternoon. Cheers
hubert
Watched a wee bit of the first half of this game then had to go out, it was 1-0 for Auchinleck at halftime, what was the final score?
Crewsy Fixer
2-1 Auchinleck, that was a good wee game to watch, even the gaelic commentary was entertaining. Cheers for the heads up Math.
Mathieson
Nae botha. Good game was it?
I was in a hurry and actually forgot there was a Junior Cup thread or else I would have posted on here obviously. Never saw the game myself as I was getting dragged round Argyle Street, Buchanan Street, etc. shopping at the time.
Got regular texts from my old mate though to keep me up to date with the score and he was devastated at the end.
He should be used to disappointment though as the Hibees are his 'big' team. smile.gif
hubert
Eg. this thread is for Scottish junior cup fitba.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.