Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brook Bond Tea
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Food and Drink
wee mags
does anyone remember going to get a packet of Brook Bond Tea? it came in a green package and it had stamps on it, and you got a book in which you saved the stamps and when it was full you got 10 shillings ,I just thought of it as I opened a box of red rose tea there biggrin.gif
Anne1
yes mags i do mind of it granny used to have t so did my mum
WeeJean
I remember that too and I also remember that sometimes the stamps wouldn't stick on the page of the book laugh.gif Maybe my imagination but the tea seemed to taste better then too.
Wee Jean
angel
remember the tea leaves, I don't think you get them in the
super markets anymore.

Angel
glasgow lass
i remember my mum and granny doing that weemags,also remember them saving up the silver paper from my fathers cigarette packet and sending that away as well for gifts wub.gif
wee mags
aangel I can buy Loose tea here, Twinings breakfast tea ,I even have ma wee tea strainer and my tea pot ,I used to have an aluminum one and a Tartan tea cozy I dont know what happened to them huh.gif
wee sammy
Didn't they have a commercial with monkeys on it or was that some other tea
glasgow lass
wee sammy,i think that was PG Tips.
George Muir
I remember you had to separate the stamp from the packet by using a pin and dragging it along the perforations to get the stamp out.
brian432
I remember the Ads but I never drink tea. Gimme coffee anytime.
Click to view attachment
angel
QUOTE (wee mags @ 27th May 2007, 04:20 PM) *
aangel I can buy Loose tea here, Twinings breakfast tea ,I even have ma wee tea strainer and my tea pot ,I used to have an aluminum one and a Tartan tea cozy I dont know what happened to them huh.gif

like youself Mags I don't know what happened to the wee tea strainer, I have an aluminum tea pot but I left it to long oan the gas, we awe nearly went up in a blue light and the smell was awful, EH, but never had a wee tartan tea cosy, " jist as well"
I guess I will just have to look for the special teas.
cheers .....Angel
angel
I found loose tea at last mags, but no twinnings,
found earl gray tea in the bulk food store and tetley tea in the super market, also got a tea strainer and a new teapot, so I'm off and running,
but one for the teapot makes the tea to strong.
hope you have a nice holiday in Glasgow,

cheers Angel
Tennscot
Some of the named supermarkets in Florida sell P.G. Tips 7 Krogers almost all over sell Tetleys British Blend Tea bags which are pretty good.
maryhillgal
Yes Tennscot, the tea was called Brooke Bond Dividend and had orange stamps on the packet which you cut out and saved. I worked in the Brooke Bond Tea offices in Avenuepark Street for a few years. Used to get my tea cheap and got it for all the neighbours up our close. The chimps used to visit the office when they were up in Glasgow for a promotion - they were so cute and friendly and were owned by a lady called Molly Badham of Twyford Zoo.
petalpeeps
was it pkt tea that had picture cards in it? i remember having books for birds, trees,wildlife,sealife and am sure you got the cards in pkt tea.i used to read tea leaves ,a few years ago now,although i dont drink tea myself,and hate the smell of it.
murn
My Gran used to read the tea leafs. She would always reheat her tea can't remember getting a fresh cup there, always stewed.
We have a little tearoom that we go to. The Old Curiosity Shop, they dress up in victorian outfits and serve all the different tea. My favourite, what else, Scottish breakfast. They also serve a great breakfast, ham n eggs, blackpud, tattie scones and HP beans.
Oh by the way this is in Canada.
Elma
Where are you in Canada, murn?
mitchell
Why not try organic tea?
It is free of chemicals, fertilizers and it is only slightly dearer than the dregs that are sold in tea bags.
It tastes great and it is a much better liver cleanser as green tea is.
murn
Outside Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada

Been in Canada for about 33 yrs

Been home about 5 times not nearly enough (spent more years in Canada but Glasgow will always be home)

But lots of Scots here and most of my family
wee mags
in the town where I live there is an Irish pub called O,Niels and every Saturday morn they have and Irish breakfast bacon, eggs, black pudding, sausages,and tottie scones wub.gif
wee mags
in the town where I live there is an Irish pub called O,Niels and every Saturday morn they have and Irish breakfast bacon, eggs, black pudding, sausages,and tottie scones wub.gif
Tennscot
I just Remembered !! My Wife worked in the Ceylon Tea Centre. It was in Buchanan St Near St. Vincent st., It was a nice Tearoom. Anyone remember it.??
murn
A cup of D-lightful
A cup of D-licious
A cup of Re-freshing
Brooke Bond Dividend Tea.
A cup of D!
murn
lets not forget Yoohoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2s0zV5mLuY
jakka13
Hi Murn ,welcome to the boards .I was in Uxbridge a few weeks ago for the Highland Games .I live in Scarborough but spend the summer at my cottage near Lindsay .Would your wee teareoom be near Port Perry ??.Hope you enjoy yourself on the boards lots of nice people here and lots of laughs .It helps if you're a wee bit daft .Cheers Jakka
murn
nope its in Markham, 91 Main St. East side.
Did not make it to the games this year but my niece and kids did.
Elma
I remember that Tea Centre Tennscot, didn't it have all sorts of tea caddies and other tea things in the window?
Gallusbisom
I know your wee tea shop murn, great isn't it? You never feel rushed and the staff are very pleasant. They had a wee branch in Markville Mall (about a ten minute drive from there) for a couple of years and boy what a treat it was to be able to sit down and have a pot of freshly brewed tea, properly made with boiling water etc. Great selection of teas all the ones we know plus organic and green etc. and a little sandwich plate, plus you could get an Empire biscuite or a scone. Sad to say it closed it about 6 months ago, so it's back to "hot water knocked stupid" as my Mum used to say if you try and get it anywhere else.

GB
murn
I know the one you're talking about GB, but did not realise it had closed. Too bad.

Theres a good one in Stouffville, "Tempest in a Teapot" serves up many choices of loose tea.

And the little British Store "Sweets Instore" in Newmarket sells the loose tea, mabye even PG if its still around.
stuarty
do you remember the orange dividend stamps collected from tea packets was that brookbond orange diviv unsure.gif
murn
selling them on ebay, go figure, do remember them but don't remember getting anything for them.
stuarty
naw a never knew what we got with them either another packet a tea maybe laugh.gif
wee mags
you got a wee card that you filled with the stamps and you got 10shillings for it wink.gif
stratson
Mags, a remember fillin' the card and gettin' money but thought it was 5 shillings. rolleyes.gif
lindamac
laugh.gif Enjoyable wee memory there we were warned if sent oot tae shoaps frae mum "Noo Mind ,ah only like BrookeBonds Dividend tea fur tae get me ma stamps up" haha I remember the paper packet it was like a thick sagey green paper Made the orange stamps stand ot bright & clear & we kids fought oer the tea cerds like it was money tae ,thanks for that memory. :DMum always saved up her Embassy tipped cigarettes the packet was White with a red Ribbon oan it she near went mad wance when ah goat the wrang fags ,apparently ah got her Embassy Regal with navy blue ribbon & she sent me back tae get the right ones,I also recal that our local dairy shop owner paid cash for the coupons as his wife liked tae get the gifts from the gift shop book.Mum usualy got a free pkt of smokes or the odd time if she was short she would buy bread & milk with her fag coupons did anyone else ever do that? jings I remember smoking at high school[thank God I don't smoke nowadays mind ye] & I would buy a single fag with a single match hahahaha so funny tae think of that nowadays or if ah was rich oan a friday with pocket money I would buy pkt of 5 Kensitas club gold fags.
Lion
Hi lindamac - new to this site - see you are from Australia too - can remember Brooke Bond Tea and Embassy cigarettes - remember the stamps and the coupons as well. Do you remember going to the Co-op and having to give the share number? A bit like loyalty points these days.
PJ F San Francisco
I purchase Brook Bond Red Label Orange Pekoe and/or the Taj Mahal Tea in Berkeley, California. -- I have always thought that it was the Irish spring water which provided us wonderful teal in the west of Ireland. However, and to my delight, the Brook Bond Red Label provides me with wonderful flavour using San Francisco's tap water.

Did you know that the Irish out pass the British as the tea drinkers of the world. It has been know that the Irish can consume as many as 17 cups of tea between breakfast and dinner, meaning, 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. This of course is more likely where there is a large family and a staggering breakfast system, where one will here "I'm making tea, do you want a cup?"

I have completely given up on teabags and my coffee consumption is almost nil compared to my drinking 10 cups of coffee each day a year ago! My stomach and general health feels much better with only the tealeave drinking!
pdickson
I worked with "BB" as a van salesman -- trained in Avenuepark St. Maryhill -- then moved to my home town Airdrie -- worked from our local depot in Alexander St -- Garaged the van in Laidlaws Garage ( the FORD dealer) So.Bigger Road -- I drove a TROJAN van for some time -- then got the first TRANSIT van to come into Scotland -- Bill Bryden from Edinburgh was my first "controller"--Area manager that is -- Then we wore white shirt ,collar & tie, polished shoes with steel tipped heels so we could hear ourselves walk smartly -- WE MADE GOOD MONEY & HAD A GREAT JOB.-- HAPPY DAYS -- Got a great wife at that time & she still is 53 years later.
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (pdickson @ 26th Feb 2009, 04:29pm) *
I worked with "BB" as a van salesman -- trained in Avenuepark St. Maryhill -- then moved to my home town Airdrie -- worked from our local depot in Alexander St -- Garaged the van in Laidlaws Garage ( the FORD dealer) So.Bigger Road -- I drove a TROJAN van for some time -- then got the first TRANSIT van to come into Scotland -- Bill Bryden from Edinburgh was my first "controller"--Area manager that is -- Then we wore white shirt ,collar & tie, polished shoes with steel tipped heels so we could hear ourselves walk smartly -- WE MADE GOOD MONEY & HAD A GREAT JOB.-- HAPPY DAYS -- Got a great wife at that time & she still is 53 years later.
Iworked next door to Brook Bond on Avenuepark St., Iworked in Durable Tools next door, my Wife and used to live on Fernie St. Iworked there 1959, the last time we were down there was 2005 they were knocking it all down, small world
*Jessica*
Does anyone know where you can purchase Brooke Bond Scottish Blend tea in loose leaf form over the internet? If you do please email me the details to vtechvtech123@yahoo.com I am trying to find it for my husband who was born and raised in Scotland and I know he would love to have it again...problem is I just can't find it anywhere sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.