Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Springburn
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Districts
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
steved
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Springburn

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Springburn

GG.

Hi...
For my project on Springburn, I'm trying 'recreate' a map detailing what shops were in Springburn Road fom Mcnee's the chemist at Flemington Street, right up to the Balgray Hill.

Can anyone remember what the names and order of shops was (on both sides of the road) all the way up in the period around 1970?
thanks if you can help

Steve
steakpie
Those are great links, Isa. I'm going to spend hours on them. thanks.
isa
your welcome rolleyes.gif
Jan Williams
Isa, oh!! Isa, I have just had a really emotional 30mins or so. The Springburn the way I knew it, you know I could have been there myself, either as a young teenager or a child with the wee mammy. The final "hurt" was the Wellfield Church on fire. Not just as it was a church in flames, it was the whole photo, the area, my gran lived across from the boundry bar, and the area was foreign to me. I suppose if I still lived in Uk it would not affect me, but, what can I say, times change and we must move on.
Steved, I hope all goes well with your project.
steved
Thank you Jan....My colleague and I are currently reconstructing Springburn Road in map form from about 1970-1 for the book I am working on. One of the problems I am finding is that some people remember earlier periods so obviously shops changed hands a bit. The project has gone very well, although I did not receive any input from here....the newspaper piece did much more.
What I do have, are candid accounts from different age groups....which is excellent...but what matters is that everyone came from a different part of Springburn, which makes it more interesting than it would have been if I had just relied on my own memories.
steve
LazyVampire
The only shops I remember was the big Woolworths that sat right in the dip and slightly further up on the same side of the road going away from balgrayhill was a small record shop.
bette
hi, i worked 4 2week on a yts in 78 in the coop in springburn road, i remember curlys the deli when u stil bought a pound of butter patted into shape. good luck on your project im new 2 this site, miss the old days of my childhood biggrin.gif
buntyq
Dont know if this will help with your research. My mother was taken to a funeral home on Springburn Road in 1974. It was past the Co and Angus Street near the railroad bridge. It was very small and I dont know the name. Apart from the Co-op all the stores were individually owned. Springburn in its heyday was a busy district.
Alex Saville
Hello. The cooperative parlour was in Morrin St. Just round from Cowlairs Rd and Millerbank St. The building is still there but in a terrible state. I live just along the road in Gourlay St. Springburn is in a poor state these days. The public halls are in a disgracful state. Plenty of money for asylum seekers in Springburn, not a lot for the ordinary folks.
Alex
buntyq
I am saddened to read this about Springburn. I was born in Adamswell Street. I cant understand why these historicl districts are being allowed to decay. I am sure that many of the tenements that were torn down could have been retrofitted into affordable housing.
Dexter St. Clair
QUOTE (Alex Saville @ 8th Feb 2006, 11:12 PM)
Hello. The cooperative parlour was in Morrin St. Just round from Cowlairs Rd and Millerbank St. The building is still there but in a terrible state. I live just along the road in Gourlay St. Springburn is in a poor state these days. The public halls are in a disgracful state.
Alex

Welcome to the boards Alex.

Who made a mess of the Springburn halls? Or was it us that neglected them?

What do you think should happen to them and how should it be funded?

Are you not happy that you're getting a new college, new primary schools in addition to the new secondary school recently built in Springburn as well as the new sports centre and the library.

I see the Credit Union and the housing association are well regarded. That's quite an impressive learning centre. Do you use it yourself?

That shopping centre could be better but what do you think of the Costco and the other new buildings down at St. Rollox.

that mail sorting centre must keep a lot of locals in employment.

Are you working yourself?

My mate used to claim he was the only one in the close paying full rent. But he lives in Knightswood now.

The last big discussion on Springburn was about the best pub a Spanish girl living in Springburn could feel safe in. Any suggestions.
Thomas
The Springburn Burgh Halls would serve as a great museum, after all the area is rich in history and it's ties with the World are well known with the production of the trains.

I think it could be salvaged, funded by Private finance, lottery heratige and public finance as well as public donations. After that, it has to make it's own way in life - as a business.

When I suggest it could be used as museum - it should also be used as a multi functional centre, where conferences and receptions could be held - after all, why not?
tessabell
hi i also worked in the old springburn in a hairdressers the of it was hellens then it was a bank and next to that was abig shop that sold clothsand across from it was a shop called Gallsi also had family from springburn wellfield street rolleyes.gif
sawfish
Its hard to believe that any council and city planners could make such an ugly disaster out of a place that was once so pretty.

It smacks of ignorance and a bit of disrespect for the working classes. Not unlike Basil Spences atrocious redevelopment of the Gorbals (which he got an award for and has now been knocked down). He was known to have no time for the working class yet was allowed to redesign the Gorbals.
tessabell
hi i can remember wooles on one side across the road from it was a swingpark and then you had kay st up from wooles you had a cafe and a fish shop next to kay st you also had galbrathes all i can say is that it was better for shopping back then thare is nothing in springburn now not like back then when you could spend all day walking about the shops i loved wooles back then thats were you spent your weekly money you got of your dad after he came home from work
Melody
Tessabell I bought my first lipstick in that Woolies with my Saturday pocket money. Must have been hundreds of us did the same thing. smile.gif Oh happy days. Could life hold more?
norah young
Hello.
I lived in Palermo ST and the post office used to be at the corner and the it was Galls Hoeys was at the corner of Gourley St
the block from Gourley St and Cowlairs Rd there was Reid the Jewlers a pub and a store that sold everthing and they also had a store in Cowlairs RDand a Bank on that corner Coop Fish store.Vulcan St the Bata shoe shop on the corner there was an American Barber near the stairs that took you down to Ayr St, my Son had his first hair cut in that shop.
Norah
magsos
hi norah,
i did my apprenticeship in the american hairdressers in springburn.happy days there..remember reids the jewellers well,and mostly all the shops in the 50`s..springburn was a great place then.a thriving community,don`t know what it`s like now.
circusier
I lived in two places in Adamswell st (118 and another) 67/68 and at No. 42 Gourlay St. (above Kennedy's grocery shop) 70/72.

I remember Curley's (or was it Galbraiths?) (where my cousin worked and used to give me change from a tenner when I handed over a fiver for my mother's messages) across the road from McNees the Chemist (where for some reason I caused much hilarity among the staff and customers alike by asking one of the shop girls how much her tits were - I was only 7 and asked by my mum to but a dummy for my little brother). Next to Curleys was the chippie.

Across from Gourlay st and down a few shops was the fruit shop where I was paid as a 10 year old to peel dirty onions in the back for something like a shilling a bag.

At the south coner of Adamswell st and Springburn Rd was the newsagants were for about 5 shillings they would give you a refernce for anything (job, housing, etc).
Avril
Does anyone remember the dance hall that was in the basement of a tenement in Springburn Road opposite the fire station? I think it might have orignally been an air raid shelter. I have mentioned this to many people and they don't remember it? I went to Albert Secondary School and we used to go to dances in the tenement basement in the early '60's on a Saturday night, it was like being down in a cave....great atmosphere! Some of the boys from our school had a band and they used to play there.
lindamac
biggrin.gif as I recall ,Galbraiths took the corner of Kay st ,next door to Galbraiths was a fishmonger and later in 70s changed to a chippy. there was woolworths too the left of Culeys and maceys as if you were looking across the road whilst stood at galbraiths as well as a butcher shop Munros facing the park the fruiterer was at the other side of woolies next to the city Bakeries .

I remember the bus stop to get a 45 was at front of Galbraithes and across next to curleys was Maceys was a hoeyes and a hoserie shop side by side as I always got confused as they were simularly named.Heading up & turning right towards Sellyns clothes shop was where there was a McKays and Pars bakery moved up further in later 70s but originally was beside the 45 busstop as I ate many a pineapple bun waiting furr the bus haha.

Opposite there & heading up the Balgrayhill was a pub after the record shop past Munros & woolies, when one took a right and diagonly crossed the road one met up with a bus stop outside that Italian Cafe/icecream parlour ? Lidos? not sure but a mind being in it.I also remember waiting many times for a bus with mum outside that cafe .

walking past that was a bookmakers and I remember the pawn shop and then the grain store,further along was a set of lights where nearby to it was a school of dancing to learn ballet and tap,then a fishmongers when one crossed the traffic lights to other side there was that pub the boundary Bar taking up the corner......then there were 2 hard ware shops owned by same family but seperated by 1 or 2 shops in between they had simular names also ??? think it was camerons or something & oddly there was a william Donnellys funeral parlour.

As one walked along that side towards springburn park there was a shop that was named Mcqueens where I got my teachers roll and my sweets for playtime it also sold papers milk etc. Mcfarlanes was another wee shop thereabouts too Facing that shop was an opticians next to grain store & pawn shop, called Forbes as I attended it for my spectacles..

There was another Bookies on that same side of Shevalanes side too the bookies were mainly williamhills am thinking maybe wrong? then ye end up at the corner to cross over too the park where there was a hairdressers shop next to park and Ross' carpet shop was on opposite corner of Galbraiths facing Munros Butcher (which was featured in an episode of Taggart By the way).thinking back now and ..I remember the 2 hardware shops further back and near the funeral place were bright yellow in colour they stood out a mile and the grain store facing it was Black and a wee guide dog ootside it.

way doon at McNees chemist a mind of greenlees and Greenhaughs shoe shops one on either side as well as a pub called Bauldybaines too right as ye came out of mcnees and the coop faced that pub then further up from coop was a funeral home which is still there as I went to it 18mths ago to attend my brothers funeral it was Donnellys,there was another William Donnellys funeral parlour beside Mcqueens and hardware shop and there was a chippy next to shevalanes pub all this was in the 70s when I atended elmvale school and did awe mammys shopping furr her oh aye Maceys was next door tae curleys if memory serves me well.Hope ave helped somewhere amidst awe that laugh.gif
lindamac
biggrin.gif somewhere up and across from Sellyns on the entire corner was the big Santis Chippie named the New Yorker and it had a restraunt alongside of it on the side street, think it was a steakhouse and had a wagon wheel inside it. before one reached sellyns there was a tv shop Mibees called Loyds or perhaps on tother side of street.? biggrin.gif
scossie
QUOTE (norah young @ 5th Jun 2006, 11:54 PM)
Hello.
I lived in Palermo ST and the post office used to be at the corner and the it was Galls Hoeys was at the corner of Gourley St
the block from Gourley St and Cowlairs Rd there was Reid the Jewlers a pub and a store that sold everthing and they also had a store in Cowlairs RDand a Bank on that corner Coop Fish store.Vulcan St the Bata shoe shop on the corner there was an American Barber near the stairs that took you down to Ayr St, my Son had his first hair cut in that shop.
Norah

G'day all.Hi Norah Young..Don't ye post on the Daily Record anymore.Have ye had a visit tae Birdston Road lately??Hope yir hubby is well.
Lindamac . How are ya pal..Yep .It looks like trebors ain't there anymore ..Awe ah could find was the Tavern,Ah well.
Everything fades with time...Awlavwa the noo... biggrin.gif
Avril
Hiya Jock, Is that the Tavern in Auchinairn? Ma dad an' uncle used to go there back in the 1950's tongue.gif smile.gif
lindamac
biggrin.gif Aye Georgia hen it is,I had a nice scampi lunch when a was hame last year hen ,Seems ferr enuff Jock like everything else .........we awe move oan as I had thought cos it was mid 60s/70s when a nicked the sweeties frae trebor haha thanks furr the phoaty there Jock pal,am there the noo eating anither scampy lunch wi ma faimly och aye tis a rerr thought indeed laugh.gif
scossie
QUOTE (georgia @ 2nd Feb 2007, 11:45 AM)
Hiya Jock, Is that the Tavern in Auchinairn? Ma dad an' uncle used to go there back in the 1950's tongue.gif smile.gif

It sure iz Ma dear.I never drank in it though.Had a few, but I used tae live in The Glasgow pub scene.Jackson's ..Any pub really.Not particularly any one..There was a hoose at the corner of Colston Road ,And she kept her butter and stuff ootside in a cupboard.I used tae frequent it now and again .Naughty but nice..And those apples At the fitbaw field area.The poor woman used tae offer tae buy them back when she nearly caught us..But she jist wanted a haun on us tae gie us a whack oan the ear..But alas.It never eventuated..Time for happy hour now..4.30 pm OZ time..Alavaderchy ..cheers
clmcm25
Did anything ever come of your book Steve? Old Springburn fascinates me. I was born around the time they started to build the A803 and its so sad living here now to see a town which is a shadow of what it used to be.
flam
Hi Buntyq..Is this the wee funeral parlour that you where talking about in Springburn Road,about 50 yards North of Angus Street,on the left hand side of the photo is the railway Cheers Flim
magsos
Hi flam,
was that little shop not bradleys flower shop in the mid 50`s.
Avril
Just up from that on the right was a wee wool shop that I used to go to with ma mammy. Was it Galls?
magsos
Aye Georgia.it was Galls.Remember they used to have hundreds a boxes of nylons,and would bring them all down,and show you fully fashioned,semi fashioned,seemless etc..The assistant would put her hand in the stocking,to show you how sheer they were..all for one and elevenpence halfpenny..
Maybe am before your time Georgia...you could buy all your wool there too,and undies...Remember Irelands the chemist.a coupla shops up the road from Galls,wi the giant green bottle,outside,showing it was a chemist.
lindamac
biggrin.gif I do recall it was actually Anderson & Irelands chemist,yes I mind of it well.
lindamac
Bunty there were 2 funeral parlours onew by the Donnellys the one you mentioned at the rd facing the train station I know cos my brothers coffin was in it 2yrs ago & the other was along past the swing park & on the main street facing the huge grain store next to Camerons yellow shops wherein ye could get a needle tae an anchor as mammy says(hardware stores there was 2 of them a few shops apart owned by the same folk.but I know the parlours were both owned by the Donnelly family.
lindamac
see that wee record store was it called Targets & a picture of red white n blue target oan the sign & was it near Munros Butchers near woolies& the fruit shop?& city bakeries curleys, all to its right side when stood at park gate facing across the rd & next to park was Ross` carpet shop & a hairdressers & Burtons menswear shop?there was bata shoes & way further doon tae right across that rd towards the railway station Library herr dressersetc was greenhaughs & greenlees & Tandem shoe shops.almost heading towards mcnees chemist noo,but afore that was a wee side street wherein there was a pentecostal church & the corner was taken up with BauldyBaynes pub?
rab hay
the shops i remember are in no particular order from the fire station to balgray
marios chippy
curleys
lizzie mcfarlanes
mcnees chemist
mini bingo
hoeys
eureka bar
reids jewellers
rs mcolls
clydesdale bank
co-op
bells bar
travel agents
city bakeries-ma mother worked in it
henry healy
clyesdale electrics
sellyns
malt cellar off sales
snug bar
galls
wards newsagent
hamiltons dairy
butchers
mullens fruit shop
vulcan bar
galbraiths
greenlees
the haven bar
broken biscuit shop
santis
johnstons sports
record shop
woolies
brains went numb trying to remember any more. tongue.gif
corrines hairdressers
Tennscot
Here goes, down memory lane. Grew up 103 Wellfield St., (when it was still there)My Father was a Tuck,( Tuck the bookies ) Went to Wellfield then Albert SS School,Done my Runner to Cowlairs Road Office during Summer Holidays . Up the street ,sweetie shop and Dairy next door .Across the street the Wellie later named the Astor ,next the Sally Ann. ...Peas `N vinegar, and Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam. further up on other side Campbells Chip shop. The The Avenue, Left into Springburn Road Aulds Dairy Across The street from Aulds .. Taylors Fruit Shop .Across Springburn road was Clydesdale Savings Bank Back on Aulds side towards the car stop City Bakeries The Church,Across the road Sellyns up behind that the Chapel.From the church . On down the road Liptons or something then wet fish shop Hendersons Butchers.then ?? The I think Blenheim St With Santis ( Best Fish n chips ) Pub at the corner.Across the St., Wool Shop Chemist going down Victoria Bar and another pub next door. The Wee Shop Now Donnelys Was a Head stone place Marble Shop. Back Over Atlas St. Going down to the Coal Rea. Geordie Something and The Atlas Works. Back on Spr. Rd. The Station and steps down to the Library. Back across to other side of bridge and Coop Buildings. all the way down to Cowlairs Rd.,Also the Coop Halls wwas down the side St., and Coop dairy Then turn left Dowwn to Cowlairs Rd, With Jimmy Donnelys Parlour and Private hire. The Other side at the Cross Where the Salvation Army would sing and Gus McKenzie and I would Join in . Memories.!!! Gus was later Better know as Karl Denver and his Trio. Gus grew up in Edgefauld road. Back to the Cross . Across and at the corner of Cowlairs R. Was a Bank , and on down Spr. Rd., Gourley st., and The Princes. then Keppochill Rd . The Oxford. Then further along The Coffin.... The Kinema. Well enough Bletherin , thats part of the Springburn the then Vibrant Springburn i loved . Like the song Sez "Blowin in the wind". Jim Tuck
flam
Hi Tennscot.Did Charlie Tuck not have three Bookie shops in Cowlairs Road at one time, and where they not all chocolate type coloured , around the Highland Fling Area...Cheers Flim
toerag
Does anyone remember Nan Keelings dance school,? it was above the co-op dairy?
Tennscot
Yes there was three shops. The firm started 1902 as Stephen Tuck and Sons. Stevie Died ,his widow took over, Hannah. Her son, "Stevies Charlie also ran a shop.the other shop Was Big Charlie . I don`t think they got on too well,Hannah & Big Charlie. BC`s son wee Charlie also tried to be a bookie. My Father Wee Geordie had his main pitch at 103 Wellfield St, although hes also had lifters set up in all the local works. N.B. Loco, The Marne , Atlas , Cowlairs and a few more I can`t remember.The "lines " went by timeclock bag To Big Charlies Office before each race. To cut a long story short the business was sold to John Boyle ,and I beleive he went on and upwards from there . The Tucks didn`t have much imagination when it came to names, there`s now names like Charlies, Charlies , Stevies Charlie , Stevies charlies stevie. The other Tucks My Uncles. were Tommy an Engineer (My Fav., ) John, There was one played for Petershill. A sister Ruby Who lived above Hannah`s shop. My Father Moved to San Pedro California (L.A. Harbour).Geordie Passed and My Mother Agnes (Ruby) Sons and Daughters all live in Cal. Me , at the moment about 2mils. east of Ben Lomond, 100 odd mls., south of Glasgow about 50mls from Livingstone. in Middle Tennessee. All The Best .
Tennscot
Hi Toerag My Mother would prabebly have Known Nan, I think she sent both my sisters there. My Mother was on the Stage before she married Wee Geordie Tuck. Sometime if she was between shows she`d babysit for Jack & Maisie Short. THe Logan Family , that`s when Jimmy was a boy. I think they lived in Keppochhill Road up by the old Police Station.
Guest Tennscot *
Thanks a Million ISA , I`m having a ball learning all the historical facts I never knew wub.gif
magsos
hi toerag,
i used to go to nan keelings dance school it was on the top flat of what i thought was a warehouse..took my wee red tapshoes..she used to have her diplays in the springburn public halls..i lived in keppochill road,on the corner of pinkston road.
GG
QUOTE (rab hay @ 5th Mar 2007, 05:09 AM) *
the shops i remember are in no particular order from the fire station to balgray
marios chippy
curleys
lizzie mcfarlanes
mcnees chemist
mini bingo
hoeys
eureka bar
reids jewellers
rs mcolls
clydesdale bank
co-op
bells bar
travel agents
city bakeries-ma mother worked in it
henry healy
clyesdale electrics
sellyns
malt cellar off sales
snug bar
galls
wards newsagent
hamiltons dairy
butchers
mullens fruit shop
vulcan bar
galbraiths
greenlees
the haven bar
broken biscuit shop
santis
johnstons sports
record shop
woolies
brains went numb trying to remember any more. tongue.gif
corrines hairdressers

That's a mighty impressive list rab, thanks and well done!

GG.
Tennscot
I know how some of you feel. First time I went back to Springburn I was LOST , Totally lost. I drove up what I thought was Springburn road,that monument to the Automobile That Destroyer of Towns , Districts , Businesses , where real people Lived, Played, Worked. That Scythe that cut through the Heart of Springburn. The loss of Industry did not help Springburn,but Springburn was a Vibrant City within a City. That Monster By pass Killed it along with the lack of thought to what it would do to the Area. The Tax base alone at one time would have equalled places as big as Falkirk,Stirling and such. I feel Saddened and Guilty that I never stayed and devoted my energies to making Springburn what it could and should be. Tom and Molly Weir are Great examples of what Springburn can produce.
flam
Hi All..Here is a poor photo of Pinkston Road area..Hopefully in the summertime i will get a better picture..Cheers Flim

Hi All Sorry
magsos
thanks for the photo flam.i lived right above bensons pub..must admit it looks terrible now...i am coming home shortly,and will take a trip down memory lane..thats if there is anything left to remember.
toerag
Hi Magsos, I also did tap and ballet at Nan Keelings, your right it was above some kind of "works" I still think it was the co-op dairy for milk etc could have been more than one company in there. We put on a show at the Empire theatre once! My grandparents had a wee shop on Kepochill Rd 340 I think and it was near Pinkston Dr
magsos
hi toerag,it wasn`t jimmy dixons was it..he had a wee shop just at our close this would have been in the early 50`s.maybe even before then.
championi26
Many a time I had my haircut in Geoffery and Joes...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.