Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shettleston
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Districts
Pages: 1, 2, 3
GG
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Shettleston

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Shettleston

GG.
musicthom
great idea
i was born on shettleston rd just across fom the state cafe and spent many a sat moning in the state ptcturehouse warching diney movies and the westerns laurel an hardy ahhhhhh fond memorys
Heather
My family moved to Barlanark in April 1953. The young's one's in the family still in Primary School went to St. Paul's in Shettleston Road and we went to St. Paul's Chapel on Sunday.

A crowd of us used to go to the State Cafe on a Sunday night.
One drink & six straws please. laugh.gif

My pal and I went to the State Picture House every Monday, and to save money we walked there and back singing all the way.

My older sister missed the last bus from Shettleston to Barlanark one night and had to walk home on her own. As she was walking up Hallhill Road she heard a girl screaming. The girl was being attacked by a man, so my sister picked up a brick and hit the man with it, and her and the girl ran away. My sister came home in a state and told my parents what happened and she thought she had killed the man. Dad just said , " hell mend him, if there is a report in the papers tomorrow about it, then we will go to the Police Station, but I'm not walking down to Budhill Police at this time of night ".
Rockajock
I was born at 1090 Shettleston Road, opposite to where the Police Station is today. I lived there till I was a Teenager when we moved to Greenfield. Since then my life has revolved around the Town. Went to Eastbank, worked as a driver with Shettleton Co-op in Amulree Street and worked for a while in the Bottle Work in Old Shettleston Road.

Presently I am a member of a local History group, The Shettleston History Project and we operate out of Shettleston Library in Wellshot Road. (Wednesday mornings between 10am and Noon). We have two Websites that are full of Memories and Stories of Shettleston. www.shettlestonproject.batcave.net and www.shettlestonhistory.bravehost.com.

Tony Jaconelli
jaybee
My mother born 1918 lived on Budhill Avenue. Believe she went to Eastbank. Most of our family lived in Shettleston. Surnames, Matthews, Colquhoun, Barnett. Jaybee
Isobel
Knew a wonderful family who all lived in Shettleston called the Doyle's.Jack Doyle worked in a pub there for many years till he retired.I guess that would have been around 1980.Cissi Doyle's sister and brother never married for the life of me cant remember the surname ,but they were involved in St Paul church etc. John and Mary they were called. Long shot perhaps you might know them.
betty2
Address on my birth certificate is 49 Annick str was baptised in St Paul,s church then later moved to carntyne My dad was a street bookie in annick st pre and post war years . I danced at the welfare in amulree st and done most of my winchin in the balcony of the state picture house sometimes the odeon. Still go to the barn club on shettleston rd. . And theres a rerr butcher [Lennon,s] that i frequent Shettleston has played a major role in my family in bygone years

still here in glesca
Gemini
I was born in Shettleston and used to hang out there during my teen years, went to St Marks school, Sunday night my friends and I used to go talent hunting on Shettleston Rd, but I had to be careful as I had too may relatives living there and my dad was very well known in Shettleston. ohmy.gif
Scots Evelyn
I've recently been doing my family history and a lot of my dad's family were born 'n' bred in Shettleston. I, myself, was brought up in Glenalmond Street, which, I was told then, was not Shettleston, but Sandyhills! (snobbery thing I think!!) My dad's family were the Begbies and they were scattered throughout Shettleston. I still have a newspaper cliping from 1940 when my dad's grandmother, Granny Begbie died. She was apparently a very well known and popular lady, and when she died, there was a piece written about her in the local paper. If anyone out there knows any Begbies from the Shettleston, please post here.

Thanks
delia
I STAYED IN SHETTLESTON FROM 1934 TILL 1950 I STAYED IN PETTIGREW ST WE MOVED 2 POLLOCK AFTER I WAS MARRIED I STAY IN FAIRBURN ST NOW IN EAST KILBRIDE. LOVE 2 HEAR 4 ANYONE FROM ROUND ABOUT THERE DELIA
sandy36
my dad grew up in shettleston ardnay st i think. his mum was anne harkins and his dad was adam white. He also had a brother john white.my dad ian white went to wellshot school he was born 1948. if any one remembers the family could you let me know?
SALLY J
I was brought up in Shettleston now live in Airdrie (for my sins!).My pal Rose went to Australia in later years and is now sadly deceased but I wrote this wee poem for her just before she died and it sums up a bit of our childhood in Shettleston.
This is my first post .
FOR MY PAL ROSE

I've known my pal Rose for many years
Together we've shared our joys and tears
We grew up in a Glasgow Tenement
Where many a day with childhood games were spent
We played "wee shops" around the "backs"
Next day maybe we would swop our scraps
Hide and seek,rounders,peevers,ropes,balls and kick the can
Those gloriuos days when we had fun.

Air Raid shelters had their uses
We raided the Middens and the shelters were oor "wee hooses"
We went to the swings with our bottle of water and pieces n'jam
If oor Mammies were flushed we were treated to ginger and pieces n' spam
Tollcross Park was another treat for us
And a ride on the tram caur not the bus
Empty ginger bottles bought our treats
From "Mary Macks" we got these sweets
We went to the pictures and envied the Stars
One day we said we'll have the fancy cars.

We never did get these vast riches
Or any of our great wishes
We're seperated by many miles and I lament
But we're still great pals from the days of the Glasgow Tenement
bilbo.s
I wasn't born in Shettleston but my mother went to Plains, Airdrie to give birth and I moved back to Shettleston at 6 days old on 6 June 1942. We stayed in a big semi-ruin called Wellshot House at 822 Shettleston Road, across from Deans pub.

On reflection. the area was like Little Italy with all the cafes, chipshops etc.- even the barber was Italian (Peter Eusebi) and also our doctor (Peter Capaldi).

I went to Shettleston Public School until I was 9, when I moved to Glasgow High ( my father wasn't well-off but it was the decision of my 2 maiden aunties who lived at no 822, next to the church. I suppose we were thought of as "toffs"but we were not snobs. My father was a bit eccentric in the way of collecting things and, at 10 years of age, I had not one bike but 5, which meant I had a lot of pals.

My favourite things were the Palaceum, when we saved up 14 jam jars to get sevenpence for the stalls. I remember seeing "Annie Get Your Gun" about 7 times.

My name is William Stewart and I later moved to North Mount Vernon (told you I was posh) with my aunties and my folks moved to Plains about 1954. I remember names like McCartin, Reilly, Milne, MacMillan, McLaughlin etc
bilbo.s
I wasn't born in Shettleston but my mother went to Plains, Airdrie to give birth and I moved back to Shettleston at 6 days old on 6 June 1942. We stayed in a big semi-ruin called Wellshot House at 822 Shettleston Road, across from Deans pub.

On reflection. the area was like Little Italy with all the cafes, chipshops etc.- even the barber was Italian (Peter Eusebi) and also our doctor (Peter Capaldi).

I went to Shettleston Public School until I was 9, when I moved to Glasgow High ( my father wasn't well-off but it was the decision of my 2 maiden aunties who lived at no 822, next to the church. I suppose we were thought of as "toffs"but we were not snobs. My father was a bit eccentric in the way of collecting things and, at 10 years of age, I had not one bike but 5, which meant I had a lot of pals.

My favourite things were the Palaceum, when we saved up 14 jam jars to get sevenpence for the stalls. I remember seeing "Annie Get Your Gun" about 7 times.

My name is William Stewart and I later moved to North Mount Vernon (told you I was posh) with my aunties and my folks moved to Plains about 1954. I remember names like McCartin, Reilly, Milne, MacMillan, McLaughlin etc w.r.stewart@hotmail.com
Dexter St. Clair

Hi Bilbo was it jam jars or ginger bottles you saved up?
Or are you using a figure of speech?
bilbo.s
Jam jars fetched a halfpenny and ginger bottles 2d.
Dexter St. Clair
Hi Bilbo,

I've found plenty of people who had heard of cinemas which took jam jars in the twenties but never heard from anyone who actually did it.

I take it we're talking 1951/53 here. Did the cinema accept jam jars or did you take them to a shop to trade them in? Was there a deposit on jam jars?

Anybody else here ever take jam jars and trade them for cash or entry to a cinema?

Millymouse
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Apr 2008, 08:33 AM) *

My name is William Stewart and I later moved to North Mount Vernon (told you I was posh) with my aunties and my folks moved to Plains about 1954. I remember names like McCartin, Reilly, Milne, MacMillan, McLaughlin etc
bilbo.s
Hi Dexter:

We traded them in at a wee grocery store on Shettleston Road foe a ha'penny a time.
bilbo.s
Hi Dexter:

We traded them in at a wee grocery store on Shettleston Road for a ha'penny a time. We also got cash there for discount coupons for soap powder etc
joan wheatley
I was born in prefabs in Sheddens Pl. Near McKellar Watts. I went to St Marks primary then Charlotte Street. This was a great place to stay and I am still friendly with Eileen McGrath who lived opposite. Childhood was different then, you could happily go to parks and out to play without worry.
Always some new things to do rounders,kick the can,skipping ropes,not to mention scraps,peever etc. Great times.
frankd2
SallyJ,
That was a lovely thing you did for your pal Rose!
Guest sally *
Thank you i'm glad you liked it .Rose and I were friends since I was 5 yrs old.I have to share this with you too.Today I met an old school friend I havent seen for 49 years and she scannned 2 school photos I didnt have for me.I cant stop looking at them and the memories they have brought back!!!!!!!!!Did you come from Glasgow?thank you again for taking the time to e mail me
Roderick MacGregor
Calling all folks who were priveleged to be brought up in Sheddens Place. Great to see the names Joan Wheatley and Eileen MGrath above . It must be over 40 years since I saw you!
I am working in West Africa and was following the SkyNews coverage of the Glasgow east by-election last week and it hurt so much to see the way some of the area has become.
I was born in 15, Sheddens Place in 1950. The street was full of young couples starting a family after the war years. It was like a village of its own, and a pre-decessor to the "safe" cul-de-sacs of to-day with no through traffic. If any visiting child used bad language, any parent in the street would tell them to leave !
From the top of the street, the first pre-fab had an Old Shettleston Road address and housed the McKendricks; next house was the Conways, then the McGinn's and the dear Old Mrs Thompson at number 9. set back from the road behind a small green were the McKenzies; the Halls and us (the MacGregors at 15); then back to the road-side and there were the Grays' round the corner were the Dolans; then the Brackenriges; then the Wheatleys; then the Smiths; then the Canes and that took us to the 3 houses at the far end of the oval which backed onto the British Dyewood :-
The McColms; the Stapletons and the family with the dog called Shiela!
Then there was the row of houses which backed onto the railway, which were all demolished in the early sixties because the burn kept overflowing and really flooding out the families (Remember that photograph in the Daily Record, where they asked all the kids to sit along a fence which was almost covered in floodwater and just as the picture was about to be taken, the fence collapsed and the heading in the Record the next day bellowed "Drama as children swim for their lives in floods"!! )
The McQuades; then Mrs Crabbie; then the Clarks and the McGraths
Then there was a little break which accessed the burn and the coal works and one pre-fab road-side :- Mrs Lafferty
Then 3 houses set back from the road with a green in front and backing onto McTaggert and Mickels :-
The Menmuirs; The Morans; The smiths: Then roadside again The Parks; the Pollocks; and who? the the house at the top where a schoolteached lived and we thought he might be a millionaire because he owned a car! Wow!! I really enjoyed that trip down memory lane !
Roderick MacGregor
Rod MacGregor Sheddens Place, Shettleston...... Realised I got some detail wrong in my post of 31st July! After the March family were the Cruikshanks' The Backenridges were the family in the top right corner round "the scheme" between the Stapletons and the McQuades. Remember a steam locomotive jumped the rails and ran down the embankment into their back garden? We were famous for a day! Also the family between the Pollocks and the top of the street were the McCleans
Michael Donnelly
Dear Readers, my name is Michael Donnelly, my father William was born in Grace Street anderson, around 1929-30. after his national service, he and my grandfather(also, michael donnelly) along with my grandmother, moved to pettiegrew st glasgow. i belive he was the first person to build a garden in the street at the time, around early 50,s. my father move to dundee in the late 50,s where he met and married my mother. from the age of around eight till i was around 12 i went every year to glasgow for my 6 week school holidays staying with my granparents and visiting all my relatives in glasgow. i have many fond memories of the state cinema and the odeon, where i saw many of films. my grandfather and father drunk in the marquiss and the drum pubs where i myself started around my 17th birthday lol i also have many memories of the apollo theatre and the savoy disco where i had many a great evening in glasgow city centre. so if there are any donnelly,s out there who this may ring a bell with please post a reply.
Marnie
Hi I am new to Shettleston site. I moved to Easterhouse from my beloved Possilpark in 1956. I started Wellshot Secondary in 1958, and have stayed in touch with my dear friends Roseann (Dunlop) Paton and Moira (Higgins) Condron. We all have great memories of Wellshot Secondary and were heartbroken to leave in 1961, Bilboa is correct I remember taking jam jars back to the grocery store for refunds when I was a child in Possilpark, in fact if you had a 2lb jar you could get a penny back. Bilboa we have a lot in common, Mount Vernon and the Central Hotel I believe you worked for my father in law.
drew1952
Hello All, my Great Grandfather and Grand Father lived at Woodbank Barlinnie they both worked in the prison I think GG Dad was the Chief clerk of the prison. Can anyone tell me how near this is to Shettleston please.
christine 1955
i used to live in 31 annick street,our neighbour was margaret and george thompson ,they had a family of 2 girls and a boy i think the girls were sylvia,and margo anne the boy was called george . margaret had a son thomas who lived with her mum.george's family lived in easterhouse? i remember he had a sister called terry.I remember when margaret and george were flitting they had a horse and cart ,halfway to the new house the horse keeled over and died on them,it was hilarious, they got slagged for that for ages. that would have been about 1970/71 i think. margaret came down to ayr to visit me with her youngest son lee, that was the last time i saw her. anybody know who it is i am talking about. i thinh they moved to garthamlock?
margaret wade nee ditty
QUOTE (delia @ 6th Aug 2007, 03:22pm) *
I STAYED IN SHETTLESTON FROM 1934 TILL 1950 I STAYED IN PETTIGREW ST WE MOVED 2 POLLOCK AFTER I WAS MARRIED I STAY IN FAIRBURN ST NOW IN EAST KILBRIDE. LOVE 2 HEAR 4 ANYONE FROM ROUND ABOUT THERE DELIA

Hello Delia
My name is margaret and i live in Powell River B C Canada
Iwas born on Shettleston rd not far from the school where i went when i was five and then we moved to 915 shettleston rd above heneys grocery store at the time which was 1939 til 1954
when my family emmigrated to toronto. My mother was margaret glover and she married
campbell ditty but folks called him davie. I have cousins in the area but have lost touch.
My husband of fifty years would like to take one trip to scotland but its difficult to book not knowing how but we are working on it . I went to wellshot rd secondary school for a couple lof years before leaving for canada. Wonder if you could look in the telephone directory for
Glovers or Dittys in Shettleston or Parkhead. Wouldnt it be a miracle if you and i had known each other at one time. We lived almost on the cornet of Kenmore st and my name was
margaret ditty.

now to figure out how to send this regards margaret
margaret wade nee ditty

Dear Delia

I was born on shettleston rd in 1939 and in 1945 i started school on old shettleston rd . by now we had moved to 915 shettleston rd and we lived there til emmigrating to canada in 1954.
My friends were margaret mackenzie and sadie henning both lived on denbeck street
we at 915 shettleston rd were very close to kenmore st.
My name was margaret ditty and my mother was born margaret glover i remember many relatives in the area both glovers and ditty s . in 1952 i went to wellshot rd secondary school for a couple of years before my family moved to toronto. I now live in Powell River b c Canada.
My mothers best friend was Kathy Duff and her husband Peter. both have since died . The duff family joined us in toronto as immigrants a few years after we came. they lived in tollcross park in the museum building since uncle peter was a park keeper. I recall being very fond of the museum especially the stuffed bird display called '' who killed cock robin'' do you remember it?
my email address is maggiewade39@gmail.com
Would love to hear from someone who remembers and who
may know some of my cousins. or old friends.

margaret wade nee ditty
[size="4"][/size][color="#FF00FF"][/color]

Dear delia

I am margaret wade (ditty) I was born in shettleston in 1939 and we lived at 915 shettleston rd very near kenmore st. I went to school on old shettleston rd and my friends were margaret mackenzie and sadie henning both of denbeck street. I wonder if there are any dittys or glovers left in shettleston. my aunt peggy and uncle eddie glover lived on chester street.
m(y mother was born margaret glover and my dad was campbell ditty
folks called him davie.I spend a couple of years attending wellshot rd secondary school until my family emmigrated to toronto in 1954.
I have many fond memories of childhood in shettleston
lets try coresponding by email maggiewade39@gmail.com
will look forward to hearing from you
regards
margaret wade nee ditty
bilbo.s
Hi Margaret,

Sorry don't remember any of your relations but I remember well "Who killed cock robin"-- loved it as a child.

I stayed in a big old house- Wellshot House, at 822 between Wellshot Road & Edrom Street. If you check out my posts, you,ll get more info. I was born 1942 and went to Shettleston Public until age of 9.
pollymac
Hi, I've just discovered this site - it's great to hear about all the old haunts in Shettleston. I was born in 1945 and went to St Paul's School too (were we there at the same time Heather- I left in 1958 to go on to secondary school?). I started with Mrs O'Sullivan, then Miss Moore, Mrs Quigley (what an ogre she was!) and finally had Mrs Canning. I think Mr Moffat was the Head then. I remember John Gillen, James Smith, James Coleman, Bobby Mc Conville, Rodney Larkin, margaret Power, Rosemary Darragh, Margaret Downey, Margaret Dowling, Delia Mc Craynor, Kathleen McGoldrick, Agnes Donnelly, and loads of others - still got all the old class photos.
I remember Dr Capaldi (surely he's related to Peter Capaldi the actor?) and going to the State and Odeon cinemas every Saturday. There was an Italian family, the Franchettis, who were friends of my uncle's - think they might have owned a cafe.
I wonder if anyone remembers Mr. McGrane the dentist in Ardholm Street. He was my uncle. I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers any of these.[size="2"][/size]
bilbo.s
Dr Peter Capaldi was my doctor too. I was born 1942. The Franchettis had a cafe at the beginning of Wellshot Road, across from Old Carntyne Church. I believe they were cousins of the Ferri family of thr State Cafe.
pollymac
That's right- it was Wellshot Road - my family were quite friendly with the Franchettis. I don't suppose Dr. Capaldi is still there? I was born in 1945 and lived in Baillieston Road.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (pollymac @ 20th Jul 2009, 07:52pm) *
That's right- it was Wellshot Road - my family were quite friendly with the Franchettis. I don't suppose Dr. Capaldi is still there? I was born in 1945 and lived in Baillieston Road.

I would imagine Dr Capaldi to be long dead as he must have been about 40 when I was about 10.

I lived at 822 Shettleston Road- see my previous posts on this thread- and later in Blackcroft Road.

Whereabouts in Baillieston Road were you? I had cousins( Marshall) there, next to Sandyhills Church, just before Blackcroft Road. See also thread on State Cafe.
Jon Murphy
Hi Rod MacGregor, Joan Wheatley, Eileen McGrath Sheddens Place, Shettleston.
I do not remember you guys but then I can not remember what I had for breakfast...LOL
The names I do know from The Sheddens are the Smith's. Joe and Francis. Would love to get in contact with them again. Anyone know where they are?
Also Bunty MeQuade, I was madly in love with her but she was younger than me. Could not lose face! Been kicking myself ever since but that's life in the big city.
Joe Smith and I worked at J C Watt's, later called McKeller Watt.
People I recall:- Mat Cunningham, Lilley Cunningham, Maidie Thompson, Jimmy Wilkinson, Spud Spence, Billy Hutchinson, Joe Smith, John Kennedy, Mattoe's Cafe.
I live just off the coast of Western Australia.
My email is- greegriment@live.com
Jon Murphy
Hi- Margaret Wade, Bilbo.s, Pollymac.
I did the Shettleston scene many years ago. 736 Shettleston Rd.
Go back there every night.
Like you guys my first school was at + Old Shettleston Rd. and Fernan St.
First teachers were Miss McCann and Miss Watson, what a memory eh??
Then I went to the bigger school accross the road, Mr. Findlay and Mr. and Miss Baird, brother and sister. Strange pair!
Worked at JC Watt, Sheddens as mechanic with Joe Smith and Matt Cunningham, Marie Patterson and Margaret Murphy.

From Kenmore St. I remember Jock Gray, I kept well away from him!!!
Have cousins in Baillieston called Ward.
Capaldi was our doctor and we went to Larkman the dentist at Shettleston Cross. I think Bram Stoker used him as background for Dracula...LOL

I haunted the swimming pool in Dalveen Steet, Jessy McPhees,(Where I aquired the taste for VP wine) Matteo's cafe, Wellshot Hall Saturday night, Barrowland and The Sarry Heid on a Tuesday, Locarno Friday.

Would do it all again except for the Palaceum thing!!

My email is: greegriment@live.com
bilbo.s
Hi "Jon Murphy"

What age are you. I am now 67 and well remember teachers at Shettleston - Miss Ross, Miss Watson, Miss Bain, Mrs Smellie(pronounced Smiley)- The terrible Bairds, probably identical twins but one was in drag. The one in male garb gave me the strap one morning for being late- caused by seeing my wee sister safely across the road tothe wee school. When I went home and told my father, he was so mad that he went down to the school and tore a strip off the bully- the one and only time I recall his acting violently with a stranger.

Matteo´s cafe was great for candy apples and candy cakes- a strange red candy in a fairy cake case.

I attended Shettleston Public from 1947 -51. Dr Capaldi was one of the best- the dentist you mention was one of the worst. I had an extraction done by him and got terrible neuralgia afterwards. After that I had a pathological fear of the profession all my life and suffered agonising toothache rather than getting treatment.

Do you remember where I used to live at 822?
Lizziehen
I lived in Sandyhills from 1940 until 1946, my third home. (Born in Rutherglen area, Kingspark, but moved when I was a baby) The previous one was Springboig and I started school at Budhill, not there long before we moved to Cullen Street, Sandyhills. Can't remember the name of the Infants school there - remember a teacher, Miss Hogg - I was later at Eastbank Academy, remember a lovely teacher, Miss Anderson and lots of great pals. Very happy memories of playing street games, dressing up and having concerts in each other's gardens. After Sunday school still dressed in my Sunday best, young brother tagging along, going to Tollcross Park with friends and I loved the Museum there. Fascinated by the display in a glass case of "Who Killed Cock Robin", and the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret dolls in another glass case.

Saturday mornings, again young brother tagging along, to the pictures at, I think, the Gaumont? He was too young to be interested and played about beneath the seats!. Learning to swim at the baths in Wellshot Road. Going with my mother for the messages along Shettleston Road, the butcher shop called Lambie's (the son was in my class at Eastbank) and during the war most of the shop windows boarded up.

My grandparents surname was Moffat and her family were called Gilmour, a lot of them lived in the Shettleston area. She had twin brothers and one, Uncle Jimmy Gilmour lived with auntie Maggie in Budhill, they had a huge famly. The other twin, my uncle Bob, never married. My Grandma's two Gilmour half-sisters lived with my step-great-grandmother in a semi-detached house in Carntyne, can't remember the name of the street. Spinster sisters, they worked in the Co-operative and then after their mother died bought a newsagents shop, but not sure if that was in Shettleston - if not, it wasn't far away, I remember my mother taking me there. They retired to Largs, kept in touch until their deaths with their Gilmour cousins of the large family of uncle Jimmy Gilmour.

But I'm blethering again. Lots of happy childhood memories. We left Glasgow in 1946. Most of you are younger than me so wont know the names mentioned here. I saw a mention somewhere of "Who Killed Cock Robin"....

Wish I could remember some of my pals names - Marion Addie was in my Eastbank Academy class, Gordon (I think) Lambie, William Childs, Vera Cummings (I think she moved to London), Elma... lived up the hill past Budhill... They will come back to me.... Around the corner from us - Ardgay Street?? - lived the Neill family, Bobby Neill became a champion boxer. His big brother was Frankie, a younger one I think was Drew and there was a young sister.

A very different childhood from today, we made our own entertainment, and a happy one.
Jon Murphy
Hi Bilbo.s

Love your comment about the Bairds,

"The terrible Bairds, probably identical twins but one was in drag."

Yea but which one was in drag?
Your father must have been game to tackle Mr. Baird, as I can remember he was a big bugger. The view I remember was of them standing on that balcony above the assembly hall. Could see right up her skirt, not pretty!!

822 is between Wellshot Rd. and Kenmore St., I think?
There was a large newsagents shop in that block which always had interesting toys in the window.
I did not venture to that area much as the Kenmore gang was always out to get me. Must have done something to offend them....LOL
In my class at Shettleston primary: David Gray from Kenmore St. and Ken Faulkner, his brother was killed at the Glasgow docks when a stack of timber fell on him. Billy Hutchinson, his mother worked in Matteo's cafe which is now an apartment block, 722 Shettleston Rd. The Mattoe's had two cafes, the other was opposite the Palaceum cinema.
The night of the fire the movie was, Jack and the Beanstalk with Budd Abbot and Lou Costello.
I went to the Odeon cinema, kids session every Sat. morning, it was like Bedlam.
Later when I became a bit more sophisticated we would go to Jessie Mc Phee’s liquor store and purchased VP wine and cider, walk along the burn to the dancing in the Wellshot hall. Now that’s another story!!
Like you I survived all that and I now live off the coast of Western Australia.
Keep the faith…LOL
John Gray
Hi, I was just pasing through and i noticed that a few people mention the Gray's at Kenmore Street, I would be greatful if anyone has anymore information on them, it would be great if you did, many thanks.
John Gray
Hi, I was just pasing through and i noticed that a few people mention the Gray's at Kenmore Street, I would be greatful if anyone has anymore information on them, it would be great if you did, many thanks.
john_gray71@hotmail.com
realmccoy28
Margaret,

I am trying to trace a possible missing link in my family tree, and noticed today your message on the Glasgow Guide - Shettleston message board dated 24/4/09.

Can you please confirm if you are Margaret Eliza Sefton Ditty born Nov 28th - 1939, parents named Campbell and Margaret Ditty. Also, had two brothers David Campbell Ditty and William Glover Ditty, I understand that David sadly died aged 5 in 1937 before you were born. Is William Glover Ditty still alive, and living in Canada.

I also have shipping records to show that William emigrated to Canada in Feb 1954, your Dad in April 1954 and you and your mum in August 1954.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Larry McCoy
Bracknell
Berkshire
England
UK.

bilbo.s
Hi Jon,
Just caught your post from last month. 822 Shettleston Road was between Wellshot Road and Edrom Street, across from Deans's pub. It was a big old house, only part inhabited by us. You may remember the billboards in front and the grain store rented from us by Kent of Parkhead.

I well remember the terror struck into the heart by mention of the Kenmore Gang although they had an almost mythical quality to me.

I visited Shettleston only a year ago and it is a sad, sad place nowadays- really run-down. As you know it was never posh but there was a good atmoisphere years ago.

All the best.

Bill
Gemini
as I previously posted I too was born(1936) in Shettleston 49 Annick st which sadly to say no longer exists, my dad was the bookie there he was known as Scout, we moved to Carntyne when I was 2/3yrs old, but as a teenager Shettleston was my haunting grounds as I still had a lot of relatives there .
Hi Bill

Yes I remember your place well. It was packed with old cars at one time, just behind the billboard. Anyone of them would be worth a fortune now.

One winters day I was walking past the grain store when the snow melted on the low roof and buried me.
I loved those bill boards and used to always get ticked off for climbing on them. Might have been by your parents?

I tried to book a hotel in Shettleston on the internet but was advised by the travel agent to forget it!

JM
Great site!
The wee Free Church in Wellshot Rd is just about to celebrate its Centenary in Sept. It has always been a friendly warm fellowship and I hope that will be reflected in the booklet we're about to issue to mark the occasion. It's called Shettleston Free Church- Years of Struggle, Years of Grace.
It's amazing how many families from around the immediate vicinity of the church were connected with it; less so now but we still do lots of outreach and children's work- even without a hall!
It's been a fascinating experience finding out so much of the local history.
Of course Gordon Adams' work on it is superb and vital reading; and the Eastern Argus and Eastern Standard newspapers in the Mitchell are great to pore over!
The saddest aspect for me was to see the state of the two graveyards- the historic Auld Kirkyard on Shettleston Road and the more recent Victorian one, Sandymount. The spray paint over the ancient graves and monuments in the Auld Kirkyard is unforgiveable. Maybe it reflects how little local sense of pride there is in certain quarters in the district. Our history is too precious to let be destroyed like this. I hope we can maybe start a Friends of the Graveyards to clean up and protect this anicent chunk of East End history.
andyc7
I was born in Old Shettleston rd(88) in 1937,went to shettleston ,miss smith was my teacher then Eastbank.I remember the Kenmore gang(sannie halliday was the leader then) he was same year as me,different class.I had more trouble with the Tiger gang mainly from Ram st
andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.