Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possilpark
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Districts
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356
GG
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Possilpark

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Possilpark

GG.
possilgirl
I grew up on Hawthorn st then we moved to Mansion st sadly all gone now ,,, But god the memories cant take them away as the song goes . I can mins chasing the rag and bone man and giving him my new cardigan that my mammy had just knitted so I could get a balloon on a stick lol , And denmark st the best st in the world to roller skate was as smooth as a baby's bum lol , And Lawlors the sweetie shop was on denmark st , The Avon chippie on saracen st and One Eyes the chippie as well we only went there when the Avon was shut lol, And going to the Vouge on a sat afternoon to watch the movies for threepence lol showing my age lol och well only a number
buntyq
What a great idea, Martin. You've started something. This Board will go on for years. My family moved from Springburn, where I was born, to Possilpark when I was about six. During my visit home in 2005 I was pleased to see that the closes where I lived in Ardoch Street are still there but I think the wee Methodist church is gone as well as the Church of Scotland at the corner of Bardowie Street. I left Possilpark in 1948 for America when it was still a thriving district of working folks. The Wee Possil was our first picture house. That was where my mother took me to see "The Raven" and I had nightmares for months. Poor soul, she thought it would be about birds!! The name was changed to The Avon when the Mecca was built - a wee bit more classy. Bardowie Street. I can just taste the fish and chips dowsed with vinegar from Perrotis. I lately read that the Scots use lemon on their fish and chips - no for me. Next door to Perrotis was the bakery where I could buy a bag of broken biscuits or fetch a loaf of Cuttin' Bread (day old) with the black and white crusts. (On my first visit back when my Dad died I brought a loaf back to America. I was so scared Customs would take it from me.) Next to the bakery was Gilchrist the Butcher. My mother always had her mince ground from a piece of meat. She said they put rubbish into the readymade mince. Our M.D. had his practice on that side of the street. For the long wait, if you weren't that sick when you went in chances are you would come out with something.

Someone take it from there or else I will be hogging the Board.
GG
Posted by corrigan as a 'Report' post:

I went to ST THERESAS school, where we would go to the chapel park to roll our easter eggs on easter sunday. This was an ordinary egg that we boiled and painted on the saturday night, believe or not then we all thought it was great fun. the only thing was it raining and cold seemed
mamie
i was born in barloch street in 1939. i left when i was 19 , although times were not always the best, my childhood has many happy memories. i would love to know where all my childhood friends went.. one of my memories is that of a crowd of kids leaving the street to walk away out the balmore road to the canal banks, we would plan it the night before especially if there was a red sky at night. ( remember the saying a red sky at night is a shepards delight ) well the excitement of getting up early the next morning, pack our bread and jam with a bottle of water, and the advwnture would begin........there would be around twenty of us from toddlers to around twelve or thirteen, away we would go. as i thought right into the country., and along the canal banks to pick bluebells in the woods. i do:nt think that would happen now, there did not seem the same worry then about child saftey. another memory was of my father taking us out to the grave yard to tend to my g.parents grave!!!!!!that would be on a good summer day, we would play while he was working away. i loved the scenery, you could see in the distance the campsie hills, i s uppose to me we were in another world from the tenements in barloch street..........in saracen street there was tempaltans grocerey store , the lido cafe a pub at the corner of bardowie street a newsagents a co op down near where the possil picture hall was, i went there every saturday....hey!!!!!! i sen:t this great ,( it must do your old brian box a power of good, trying to remember all these places) remember dr. montgomerys surgery. as it was said when you went in you had to say whoes last. when you think of it everybody ws coughing and spluttering, it could not have done us any harm as we are still here. i will let someone else carry on, keep it rolling, looking forward for anymore memories from the dear green place
Roth
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Mar 2007, 06:07 PM) *
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Possilpark

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Possilpark

GG.
Roth
I lived in Allander Street in the early days of the WW2. One day I found a bag containing what we thought was grass seed and spread it on the backyard. WE had to call in the sanitary people, it hatched out into a plague of little black insects by the million. My ear hurt for ages.

At that time we all spent more time in the air raid shelter, it was rigged out with home comforts, and nearly got our wish when a bomb fell on the school. Happy days.
flam
Hi Corrigan.You would probably remember the Police Box,The ladies and Gents toilets,McManus,s Pawn,Perottis Fish and Chip shop {Later to become Peter Buonacorsis-Peters Snacks} Sammy Devines fruit shop,The Laundrette,Hacksons,The Saracen pubs,The Possil Picture House,Bennetts,and Forresters Stores and many more within a 100 Yards of Saracen Cross Cheers Flim
Gertrude
I was born in Stonyhurst Street in 1937 (I am 71 today) and still remember all the things we kids used to get up to. Going to the parks, playing shops and hooses in the back yard wi' our rag dolls and taking pieces and a bottle of water when we went to visit our grandparents at Lambhill cemetery! We had a great time playing among the gravestones and looking at the pictures on the Italian gravestones, which were sometimes very fancy. There was Galbraiths, Alec McCrae wee sweetie shop, where my big brother Peter used to buy me a halfpenny's worth of white chocolate drops, there was the Co-op, the Blind Asylum, Leonardi's Ice Cream shop, and two other ice cream parlours whose names I forget. (Gie's a break, I'm 71 noo) lol! laugh.gif
Went to St. Theresa's school as had my four other siblings, was taught my ABC's by Miss Mary Martin and then when I was 7 she taught me how to knit and sing at the same time! Still doing it today! Must have had a happy childhood despite WWII because I did not realize we were poor until one of my big brothers told me. Remember the night of the Clydebank blitz and running to the neighbours flat on the ground floor. My mother would not go to the air raid shelter as she found it too mucky - we just hopped into bed with the other children, and Mum and Granny Allan sat drinking tea until the "all clear" was sounded.
There was a lot of camaraderie in the districts in those days, and people tried to help others less fortunate, even though they did not have much themselves.
mamie
I WILL TRY AGAIN !!!!!!!TO ANSWER GERTRUDE, JUST TO SEE IF I GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME. I HAVE ALREADY SENT A REPLY TO YOUR MAIL , BUT I MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG, SO I AM TESTING TESTING
mamie
hi!!!!!!!!!! to flam and gertrude, it was great to here from possil, i have already wrote a big reply, but i must have done something wrong, i hope i do:nt go through all this again only to make a mistake and not be able to get it through..... anyway this time i will make it short and sweet, i remember all the places that was mentioned, with plenty more, i went to st theresas school. gertrude i think my sister ellen corrigan would have been in your class , she is also 71. if you remember her,it would be nice. also there was a family called mcnamee who lived in stonyhurst st that went to school with another one of my sisters. it would be nice to correspond with people from our childhood days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will leave it here, i wonder if there is anyway i could retrieve the message that never got through, if you know how maybe you would let et me know. ta ta for now. ps did you ever go to the dancing in the ashfield on a sunday night
flam
Hi All Hopefully you will see a photo of Alex McRaes shop in Stonyhurst St I have downsized it so keeping my fingers crossed it works Cheers Flim
Gertrude
Mamie, I do not remember your sister Ellen but that does not mean we did not go to school together, just that my memory is not too good!! I remember the name McNamee though. I just loved the picture of Alex McCrae's wee shop posted by Flam, what memories that brings back. Oh, the innocent days of our youth, a piece and a bottle of water and off we would go for the day. I always felt safe in Possilpark but in those days we knew all the "bobbies" and they knew us too, so we had to behave (most of the time)! Great to read all the posts.
Anne1
I had a cousin who stayed in 2 Barloch St Mame Jackie Robertson maybe you knew him[roughly same age group]
stratson
Used to love visiting my brother Jack and my sis-in-law Anne, they lived in Fruin Street, can remember when they got the house, in those days the North of the city was like another country,can remember all those shops,had great times visiting them and the children, just loved Possil.was a very happy house. biggrin.gif
Dunkeld
I lived at Mansion St for the first 14 years of my life. Educated at East Keppoch, followed by Possilpark Secondary School. I remember the Vogue; The Astoria; The Mecca for pictures. Saracen St of course, for a pie shop there.
Pals Drew Reid, from my tenement, Billy Mallis from Mansion St. Billy Grieg and Billy Johnson, fishing pals from Hawthorn St. Jim Taylor; Jim Clark. Heather St George, Helen Rankin, Netta Clooney, from East Keppoch. Jim Cromb, Tom Hatch, from Possil sec School.
It's a strange world. I lived in England for over 30 years. Spain for a bit, now I find myself in China. I would be happy to hear from any old pals or schoolmates. Boy! have I got some tales to tell!! Looking through these post though I'm not the only one who wandered. Not the only one who could spin a few yarns.
sylviajane
Hi Dunkeld, What no. of Mansion Street were you at? I was at 68 above the pub from 1958-1973
Dunkeld
Hi SylviaJane. I lived at 75 across the road from you. My Pal John Mallis lived in your block I think. We moved in 1964
sylviajane
Ah yes I remember the Mallens they were next door to us....

Small world!

So you were next door to McDonalds the grocer?

Where are you now?
Dunkeld
I was 3 doors down From Mr McDonalds. Do you remember the wee Tallis? The boys were Marco and Romano Di Giulio. Mario Di Guilio ran the shop. Mario was the father. Battersby's the butchers was 50 yards further down on the same side. I'm trying to remember the newsagents that was near Battersby's D.A Campbell was the off licence at the Hawthorn St end of Saracen st.
Colin Scullion was opposite you, next to MCDonalds. Maybe you remember Francis and Gerald Lynch too. I guess at 73 Mansion St.
Billy Dallas on your side married my pal Drew Rieds sister Sandra. They had blonde twin stepsisters Angela and Andrea.
McCann
my mother lived in no, 85 Denmark street in the early 60's, for the first few year of her life, next to the bookies, and the clinic, 85 Denmark street is now situated across the road and is the health centre. She remembers Mclaughins the bakers, Vanity fayre, and the lido cafe, (not sure if thats stil there). later moved to bisland drive, ruchill
Dave Shearer
Born 42 Sunnylaw Street 1963

went to St Cuthberts from 68- 69

moved to Parkhouse 69

went to St Augustines from 69 - 79

my da was brought up in square from 1930s with his brothers and sisters, Ralph , George , Tommy Betty , annie , my dad John who was was a Carterby profession when he was young boy. until 1942 called to Arms until 1947. his family worked at Rollox Springburn.

Then after war worked as a lorry driver until late 50s and i beleive he became first TOA Taxi driver in square

known to all as Spot we where a normal sized family i had 4 brothers and 1 sister

Alice, Robert, Marshall, Andy, Johnny and myself

as young boy i remembered a few neighbours Wilkies next door to us upstairs Smiths next closes the McKinnelys and of course the Coopers and there was another person who used to come to our house from Back of our street all i remember was he was called Jimmy the painter reasons unknown lol biggrin.gif
Dave Shearer
QUOTE (flam @ 16th Mar 2008, 02:57pm) *
Hi Corrigan.You would probably remember the Police Box,The ladies and Gents toilets,McManus,s Pawn,Perottis Fish and Chip shop {Later to become Peter Buonacorsis-Peters Snacks} Sammy Devines fruit shop,The Laundrette,Hacksons,The Saracen pubs,The Possil Picture House,Bennetts,and Forresters Stores and many more within a 100 Yards of Saracen Cross Cheers Flim

I forgot about them toilets where spotless well looked after , Pawn shop brings back the memory of reading in Times that found someones body stuck down the chimmney when it was getting pulled down. i remember also time i brought my dads good suit there with a note for casheir from my maw going up those dark stairs until you reached the office with its big wooden doors for peoples privacy scarey thing those days for a young boy and if they didney take it aff you you went across the road to the other pawn office to try your luck biggrin.gif
JanetteMc
QUOTE (buntyq @ 1st May 2007, 12:39am) *
What a great idea, Martin. You've started something. This Board will go on for years. My family moved from Springburn, where I was born, to Possilpark when I was about six. During my visit home in 2005 I was pleased to see that the closes where I lived in Ardoch Street are still there but I think the wee Methodist church is gone as well as the Church of Scotland at the corner of Bardowie Street. I left Possilpark in 1948 for America when it was still a thriving district of working folks. The Wee Possil was our first picture house. That was where my mother took me to see "The Raven" and I had nightmares for months. Poor soul, she thought it would be about birds!! The name was changed to The Avon when the Mecca was built - a wee bit more classy. Bardowie Street. I can just taste the fish and chips dowsed with vinegar from Perrotis. I lately read that the Scots use lemon on their fish and chips - no for me. Next door to Perrotis was the bakery where I could buy a bag of broken biscuits or fetch a loaf of Cuttin' Bread (day old) with the black and white crusts. (On my first visit back when my Dad died I brought a loaf back to America. I was so scared Customs would take it from me.) Next to the bakery was Gilchrist the Butcher. My mother always had her mince ground from a piece of meat. She said they put rubbish into the readymade mince. Our M.D. had his practice on that side of the street. For the long wait, if you weren't that sick when you went in chances are you would come out with something.

Someone take it from there or else I will be hogging the Board.
JanetteMc
I was born at 26 Allander St,Possilpark,when I was 15.I worked in Perrotis fish and chip shop with my 2 sisters, the Perrotis were great people, their real name was Bonnacorsi. my auntie lizzy McVey lived most of her life in Sunnylaw Street,anyone remember them? My name was Janie Connor, married dad or Robert McCormack from Stronend Street. Have lived in California for 32 years now.Iwent to StTeresas primary school then St.Cuthberts. Would like to here from somebody from Possil or Cumbernauld.My first time on this site. Bye for now.
JanetteMc
QUOTE (Dave Shearer @ 23rd Aug 2008, 11:55am) *

moved to Parkhouse 69

my da was brought up in square from 1930s with his brothers and sisters, Ralph , George , Tommy Betty , annie , my dad John who was was a Carterby profession when he was young boy. until 1942 called to Arms until 1947. his family worked at Rollox Springburn.

Then after war worked as a lorry driver until late 50s and i beleive he became first TOA Taxi driver in square

known to all as Spot we where a normal sized family i had 4 brothers and 1 sister

as young boy i remembered a few neighbours Wilkies next door to us upstairs Smiths next closes the McKinnelys and of course the Coopers and there was another person who used to come to our house from Back of our street all i remember was he was called Jimmy the painter reasons unknown lol biggrin.gif
JanetteMc
My dad worked as a die-caster at St. Rollox Foundry,I also went to St, Cuthberts in 1957/60 I actually qualified to go to St.Augustine's but my dad got drunk and spent the money for my uniform at the pub and the bookies.So I never got to go there,I remember the pawnshops very well, my dad called his suit the weekend suit, because Monday through Friday it belonged to McManus the pawnshop, however I would never trade one of those days for anything,they were the happiest days of my life/ Bye for now.
Isabella
QUOTE (sylviajane @ 31st Jul 2008, 10:09pm) *
Hi Dunkeld, What no. of Mansion Street were you at? I was at 68 above the pub from 1958-1973
Isabella
Hi Did you by any chance know the Carroll Family they lived in Mansion Street at the corner of Saracen Street.The lived there for quite a number of years there were 3 boys, Joe,James and Peter and a girl named Alice.
brian432
QUOTE (Dave Shearer @ 23rd Aug 2008, 11:55am) *

moved to Parkhouse 69

G'day Dave
I remember your family. I lived at 34 directly under the McKinnelys. I think I'm around the same age as your brother Marshall. Do you remember the Flavells, Majors, Higgins or Robbs? I remember when your Da drove a taxi.
flam
Hi Janette McCormack. There was a Lizzie McVey stayed at 82 Sunnylaw St, I think the family consisted of Ellen,May,Betty and John,but it could be a different McVey Cheers Flim
kmacc
Hi Flim could you tell me anything about the new flats
inside St Teresas grounds???
flam
Hi Kmacc Its a little while since I have been down that area but it looks as if they where nearly completed then, but there has been an Old Folks type of Home called Craigbank, which I presume was named after the street in Keppochhill Road which ran towards St Teresa,s ground and backs on to Whites Fairground (Shows) if I find out anymore info I will pass it on.. Cheers Flim

Hi Kmacc Its a little while since I have been down that area but it looks as if they where nearly completed then, but there has been an Old Folks type of Home called Craigbank, which I presume was named after the street in Keppochhill Road which ran towards St Teresa,s ground and backs on to Whites Fairground (Shows) if I find out anymore info I will pass it on.. Cheers Flim
AnneTeak
Hi!
I was born in Possil - 22 Ardoch Street aka 1957 (WAS it that long ago !!)

My family names were McVey/McMahon - of Lambhill and Possil (apparently the first ones to move from Lambhill to Possil had travel sickness..wink.gif))

I know the previous McVey names above and The Carroll family from Mansion Street.

Trying to keep this brief as it's my first post - happy to be here !!

Ps Shops in Bardowie Street...Annie Ritchies ...had my Bunty comic on order there as well as regular sweeties!!( Annie lived across the road in Ardoch Street)
Devines's fruit shop had their cellar in Ardoch Street -I got locked in there with daughter of fruit shop by her cousin - nope I haven't forgotten !
My uncle was the weighbridge man in Mansion Street (think it was Mansion Street )

Cheerieby!
flam
Hi Patti Where you related to the McVeys in Sunnylaw St,I believe Old Harry McVey was from the Shangie,which was about a half mile from Lambhill Bridge going Eastwards.Cheers Flim
AnneTeak
Hi Flam
Doing a bit of research there about the name Harry McVey - doesn't ring a bell!
But according to my Mum there was a big family of McVey's so it's possible.
She knew Lizzie McVey and her daughters- also, I grew up with my granny so I have memories and stories which she told me about her generation.
My gran was born in the Blackhill cottages or Row I think they were called along the Balmore Road. There was a big family and the eldest daughter Nellie brought them up as the mother died young. My granny and her closest sister Katie used to walk barefoot to St Agnes's school - it's fitting that they are now buried in the old part of St Kentigern's just beside the same road they walked.
She married Patrick McVey from the street where the tram car used to turn in in Lambhill - think it started with an 'S' and her sister Katie married Joe Cushley from Lambhill.
The Cushleys lived in 66 Mansion Street at one time and my Gran and my Mum in 292 Denmark Street.
My period of time in Possil was from 1957 to 1969 I loved the tenement I grew up in and love the description that the writer Jack House used .... that the tenements were 'vertical villages' - some doors I would chap on in the hope of a sweetie, some where I would sit and pat the dog or cat on the mat, others where I would run past in case the old man or woman would come out and scowl (they're the ones that the crowd of kids would tie the rope round the doorhandles;))
It's great to share and hear other people's memories of Possil and the rest of North Glasgow as well - our family were spread out like everyone elses !!
wellfield
QUOTE (AnneTeak @ 5th Nov 2008, 09:57am) *
Hi Flam
Doing a bit of research there about the name Harry McVey - doesn't ring a bell!
But according to my Mum there was a big family of McVey's so it's possible.
She knew Lizzie McVey and her daughters- also, I grew up with my granny so I have memories and stories which she told me about her generation.
My gran was born in the Blackhill cottages or Row I think they were called along the Balmore Road. There was a big family and the eldest daughter Nellie brought them up as the mother died young. My granny and her closest sister Katie used to walk barefoot to St Agnes's school - it's fitting that they are now buried in the old part of St Kentigern's just beside the same road they walked.
She married Patrick McVey from the street where the tram car used to turn in in Lambhill - think it started with an 'S' and her sister Katie married Joe Cushley from Lambhill.
The Cushleys lived in 66 Mansion Street at one time and my Gran and my Mum in 292 Denmark Street.
My period of time in Possil was from 1957 to 1969 I loved the tenement I grew up in and love the description that the writer Jack House used .... that the tenements were 'vertical villages' - some doors I would chap on in the hope of a sweetie, some where I would sit and pat the dog or cat on the mat, others where I would run past in case the old man or woman would come out and scowl (they're the ones that the crowd of kids would tie the rope round the doorhandles;))
It's great to share and hear other people's memories of Possil and the rest of North Glasgow as well - our family were spread out like everyone elses !!
Lovely memories Anne,I was in the next wee vertical village of Springburn.
GG
Post from betty king via the 'Report Post' button:

Hi i was born in Killearn st at the Corner of Saracen st and i played in the chapel park St Theresa's ,and the shows used to come about 3 times a year i can still feel the excitement when the shows were in town, right at the end of Saracen st just before Keppochhill Rd we never had much money but we enjoyed them anyway. I went to Possilpark junior school and after i passed my quali i went to Possil High along Lambhill we used to get the tram outside the Askit factory we got a halfpenny special on the tram because we were school kids.
Great Days
AnneTeak
QUOTE (wellfield @ 5th Nov 2008, 06:23pm) *
Lovely memories Anne,I was in the next wee vertical village of Springburn.

Hello Wellfield
My granny would take me shopping at the Co op in Springburn - the streets were as busy as Argyle Street smile.gif
flam
Hi Anne Teak-The street you are possibly talking about where the tramcar turned in just before Lambhill Canal Bridge would have been Strachur St,I believe they may be photos of the Trams and the Street in Mitchell Library,also I know some Cushleys who came from Possil, Robert and Thomas (He was murdered) a few years ago, a few friends of mine went to Possil School,I went to St Cuthberts for a couple of years Cheers Flim
dmf
Hi Anne Teak,

Was the weighbridge not in Denmark Street just at the junction with Bardowie Street?

dmf
flam
Hi dmf I am almost certain you are correct about the Weghbridge it was as you say in Denmark St ,not far from Johnsons rag store Cheers Flim
AnneTeak
Hi dmf/Flim
Apologies - you are both correct the weighbridge was indeed in Denmark Street.
I always got mixed up with the street names across the traffic lights in Saracen Street!
I used to cross the road and remember The Lucky Star fish n chip shop on my right then cross over again to the corner of Denmark Street and get sixpence off my uncle in the weighbridge;)))
possilboy
hi john watson lived 98 carbeth st top landing above mccaffertys left 1963 to australia now living new zaland went to possil school infifties goalkeeper saracen ne 1954 to 1959 then possil ym any body out there remember me like to get in touch with old freinds cheers john
possilboy
hi john watson here again just some memories of possil i remember ada s fish shop i was barred there my mate then frank buchanan threw a stink bomb in the shop and i got the blame her husband even got the polis i also deliverd the milk and rolls at mary malcolms it took two hours in snow and rain i had to carry a big basket no trolys in they days anybody remember big ugg whith his six shooters terifying all the weans at sarecen st my mates and i raiked the midens best ones balmore rd my cousin agnes morrison used to run the concerts in the back yard steels the fruit shop had the best ice lollies in possil the bookie george robertson took bets at the back of my close hope someone has memories of in fifties cheers john
flam
Hi JohnWatson and others,Yes I remember Steels and Mrs Malcolm shops.but the Fish shops I remember best where Mrs Perottis and Ellens and Charlies in Bardowie St next to Steels,across from the old church,I worked for George Robertson when he opened his wee bookie shop in Bardowie St just before it became Legal,instead of back close betting and getting chased by the police,McCaffertys is still there but is now a taxi firm (Private),I know Bobby Dinnie well as he ran Possil Y.M.and the last time I spoke to him,he was still scouting for promising youngsters for Rangers.F.C. Did you know he had a book published a few months ago called "The Scout" The Bobby Dinnie Story ..Cheers Flim
flam
Hi John Watson Hope this wee photo turns out
possilboy
hi flam the name fish shop was charlies his wife was ada i have bobbies book maureen dinnie sent it to me she is a freind of my sister myra thanks for photo took one of same in 1997 when i was over for holliday do you remember porroties pet seagull on the counter what street did you live in thanks for geting in touch excuse the spelling just leaning on computer keep them coming john watson
flam
Hi John Watson I stayed in 86 Sunnylaw St (2nd Square) along with my 4 other brothers and Mother,we used to play football on the square itself,also I remember the parrot in Perotti,s,you are quite correct it was old Charlie (Moustache) and his daughter Ellen that I remember,I still see John Steel about Possil,I believe he had a brother that helped out with the shop Was it Alan?, The bookies runner for George Robertson was a man called Johnny Henderson,George Robertsons daughter Betty actually sang at one time with Joe Loss (So she told me) her stage name was Bette Roberts ..Cheers Flim
AnneTeak
Hello John and Flim !
I'm joining in here biggrin.gif
Is that pic Bardowie Street ? I haven't been there in ages!
If that is I remember the whole street with tenements either side and a dry cleaners somewhere in that pic. A wee woman had a shop there too just across the road from the church at the corner of Ardoch Street - I remember cause she used to sit next to the freezer which had great pear flavoured ice lollies smile.gif Strange the things you remember !!
Do you remember the Perthshire Club and the fire. I lived next close to it and was rescued by a fireman who carried me and my budgie (in a cage) down the stairs .
I'll stop now - ramble alert ......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.