Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Govan
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Districts
GG
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Govan

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Govan

GG.
Geezabrek
Wanlock Street and doon to the ferry. Big rats off the Clyde. Dustbin men who came around the back of the tenements in their lorry and shovelled the (stuff) ooot of the middens. Playing about the back yards (and middens) with other wains. Having loadsa uncles, aunties and grannies as everybuddy seemed to know everybuddy. Swing park with real water from the drink fountain that you got in the (attached by a chain) metal (iron?) cup. Having WAN bog to share with about 5 other families in the close (a wiz too wee to hold my leg up to keep the door shut / secure). Gas lamps and a 'distinct' smell of an evening plus the wee "hiss" they made. Waiting doon the close entry for my da ona friday when I got some pocket money (usually 3d if I wiz good).
Lotsa nice memories.... wub.gif
Oh. and my uncle Davy Patterson who moved from Wanlock Street to the (new) Gorbals flats. wub.gif
angel
hi geezabrek, I just read your post and you could have been talking about Partick were I came from ,this is also my story as well and probably many others. they were not the good old days at all, folks just had to make the best of it," no other option".

cheers Angel
jaybee
Worked in Govan on Helen Street, that was way back when the Clyde was a busy place. So sad to see it quiet now. Jaybee
Elma
In 1960 I worked in the Child Guidance Clinic in a lovely old house in (I think) Copland Road
valleyboy38
all you hear nowadays is people wi stress ,in the early days you didnt have time for stress you just had to get on wi life
Geezabrek
I know what you mean angel - its just that my memories are as a child with a load of fun and lots of (adults) folks who knew me (alleged relatives) and gave me a piece wi jam and lots of mates to scamper about with - never straying too far from home. No stress for wains is there - love being grubby and mischeivious wub.gif (no change to present kids perhaps - ha)!
Can anyone recommend any good books (library accessible perhaps) with stories / facts on life in "old Govan" ?? I (vaguely) recall a film being made doon there about life in the area - big bree reckons it wiz made partly in Wanlock Street as it led doon to the clyde and had a load of grubby wains in it too?? No idea when / what etc ?? unsure.gif
Dexter St. Clair
i heard a Sunny Govan radio presenter read a clip from george rountree's book on a govan Childhood-the thirties . george has a memory for detail as is illustrated in this contribution on WWII

WW2 People's War

Sunnygovan.org

you can listen to Sunny Govan Radio in the Glasgow area on 103.5 FM and on the internet on

Sunny Govan radio

You'll need Real Player
Geezabrek
Thanks for that dexter... smile.gif
crawfurd
my dad had jacks rolls it went back to 1923 and the vans were red and there were 800 shops the cakes and pies rolls were lovely and i used to play in the bakery attics
J.S.
Hello
I was born at 44 langlands rd in 1967 14 and a half lbs in weight ( my mother has never trusted me ever since ) my father was Donald Sutherland and his father was the captain of the HMS Backnferret otherwise known as the Govan ferry.
Anyone know them?
shoby
Hi Geezabrek,Shoby here.I've just finished reasding a book all about Govan,it's c alled"King's Close"by Christine Marion Fraser.You should be able tae get it in yir local library.
Guest ANN *
I was born in the Southern General and brought up in Govan at various addresses the last being Kintra street. My Dad worked in every shipyard on the clyde as a welder. Many happy memories of playing on the ferry back and forth from Govan to Partick.
Wonder if the "Wine Alley " is still there?
My Granny and Grandad were married in the Pierce Institute after my Grandad came back from the first world war minus his leg he was in the K.O.S.Bs Kings Own Scottish B%%%ards I remember him boasting.
I loved sitting upstairs on the bus from Govan X at night and seeing the sparks from the welders at Fairfields it was just like fireworks, the smell from the Govan Subway and the wee woman selling tablet to the kids from her ground flat front window. The priest passing the men playing shove penny in the street and when there was enough in the pot confiscating it saying gambling was the work of the devil.
The bookies runners, the coalman and the women who used to sing in the back courts are all happy memories of Govan.
rolleyes.gif
Al
QUOTE (Guest ANN * @ 9th Aug 2008, 11:21pm) *

They knocked it doon.
Rab-oldname
Geezabreak. I read your post after I had entered memories of my Renfrew days. We had a similar upbringing!
Rab. Click to view attachment
auldbutcher
stiff me this thread takes me right back aw the memories o grown up in govan ita ah special place fer me .mah da among other jobs wis ah captain on the govan ferry an some nights ad go doon tae wait fer him when he finished his shift used tae get intae the engine room when it wis cauld. an some times we wid share ah bag o chips on the wie hame . i left govan at the tender age o 18 summers and moved tae ah wee room an kitchen in the gorbals ah merrit young knew this wiz the girl fer me an snapped her up in ah hurry. but i iwies felt govan wiz hame returned there in the 80s an worked as ah butcher fer bertie murray fer 20 years his shop wiz in langlands road . any wan remember toni's kings cafe in govan road couple o hunner yards fae fairfield shipyard used tae go there at night play the jukebox in the early 50s lotsa pals an good company .memories eh. still take ah wee saunter noo an agin fer auld times sake think aboot mah wee maw an her homemade soup magic.
Boydy
There you go Peas and barley.
Class picture from Harmony Row.
Click to view attachment
Boydy
My first 10 years were spent in Govan.First Greenfield street my last 5 years at 55 Harmony Row.
In my close were the McCole's, Caruthers, Carberry, McGhee's, Kean's (Dad's Sister), Willis'.
Round the corner in Robert street was Tessies where we got stuff on tic.' You could buy a bundle of sticks for the fire. When we got our pey we were straight round there you could get a penny tray tuppeny tray or a thrupenny tray.The Rag store was there as well in Robert street the corner close had a spiral staircase my pal David McClure lived there.His Dad was the only person near us who had a car. Lambert's off licence was near us too and John's the grocer, he had a slot machine in his shop. Just down the road was brotherston's toy shop. I used to stand for ages looking in the window and every now and then a train would appear from the left side of the window then disappear on the right side.You could also buy a dummy turd there,I thought it looked dead real. When my Dad came home from the pub he sometimes brought us a wee pack which contained 2 crackers a cheese triangle a pickle and a fork.
albaforever
I'm not from Govan but my first real crush was. I was devastated when we broke up. His name was Ian and he was a draftsman at one of the shipyards. We were together on the night President Kennedy was killed and I wonder if that is why I remember him so well.
martinjmurray
QUOTE (Guest ANN * @ 9th Aug 2008, 10:15pm) *
I was born in the Southern General and brought up in Govan at various addresses the last being Kintra street. My Dad worked in every shipyard on the clyde as a welder. Many happy memories of playing on the ferry back and forth from Govan to Partick.
My Granny and Grandad were married in the Pierce Institute after my Grandad came back from the first world war minus his leg he was in the K.O.S.Bs Kings Own Scottish B%%%ards I remember him boasting.
I loved sitting upstairs on the bus from Govan X at night and seeing the sparks from the welders at Fairfields it was just like fireworks, the smell from the Govan Subway and the wee woman selling tablet to the kids from her ground flat front window. The priest passing the men playing shove penny in the street and when there was enough in the pot confiscating it saying gambling was the work of the devil.
The bookies runners, the coalman and the women who used to sing in the back courts are all happy memories of Govan.
rolleyes.gif

martinjmurray
Hi I'm, looking for any info on Kintra Street and Neptune street. Both now demolished. There was a murder there in 1952 two brother Harris were convicted, both due to be hanged, only younger one was. Paul Christopher "chrisdtie " harris and Claude Milfor Harris his older brother. The guy killed was a Martin Dunleavy, thousdands turned out for the funeral. Happened at a guy called Murray's house. Any info welciomed. M
albaforever
QUOTE (albaforever @ 24th Dec 2009, 10:44pm) *
I'm not from Govan but my first real crush was. I was devastated when we broke up. His name was Ian and he was a draftsman at one of the shipyards. We were together on the night President Kennedy was killed and I wonder if that is why I remember him so well.

remember going to the wrestling at the Govan Town Hall with another lad from Govan and friends from St. Gerards one of whom married my best friend so we are friends to this day.
robbie maclean
does any one remember my family the macleans from golspie street in the 1960s i had 2 bros and my dads name was hugh i went to hilltrust primary school ,
Hollywood1945
Hi my names Michelle Hollywood. My mum and dad where both brought up in the Govan Area in the 50s and 60s. My mum Veronica Scanlan was from the Whyne Alley and my dad Brian Hollywood was from Neptune St. Did anyone know them by any chance? Id like to find out a wee bit about them.

Also i dont know if this is the right site to come on. Does anyone know which is best?
jostto
[size="4"]Both my parents were brought up in govan around neptune st and married in 1942, Names Watters, probably left govan for pollok in the 1950s. Any info on them would be good, Da was in the shipyards and ma had hunners o weans lol, im the youngest!
Dunvegan
QUOTE (Geezabrek @ 26th Apr 2007, 05:20am) *
Wanlock Street and doon to the ferry. Big rats off the Clyde. Dustbin men who came around the back of the tenements in their lorry and shovelled the (stuff) ooot of the middens. Playing about the back yards (and middens) with other wains. Having loadsa uncles, aunties and grannies as everybuddy seemed to know everybuddy. Swing park with real water from the drink fountain that you got in the (attached by a chain) metal (iron?) cup. Having WAN bog to share with about 5 other families in the close (a wiz too wee to hold my leg up to keep the door shut / secure). Gas lamps and a 'distinct' smell of an evening plus the wee "hiss" they made. Waiting doon the close entry for my da ona friday when I got some pocket money (usually 3d if I wiz good).
Lotsa nice memories.... wub.gif
Oh. and my uncle Davy Patterson who moved from Wanlock Street to the (new) Gorbals flats. wub.gif

You are from my town and my time I knew the Pattersons but they lived in Dunvegan st. and not Wanlock St. I still have school photos from St.Anthony's with Jackie Patterson on them.
Dunvegan
MartinJ you are talking about the same Govan I knew. The smell of the Govan X subway; I loved it. The weldin' sparks, the ship yards the Govan ferry; do you remember the horse ferry, the swinng park between Sharp & McKechinie st. I destroyed my teeth on "tablet" from back close sweetie makers and McKintosh's penny sgudgers. I was brought up in Dunvegan st . hence the nom de plume. My first recollections were of Linthoose. Black oot curtains and bomb craters. I lived just outside Stephens' gates and spent my younger days to the flash of welders and the the music of caulkers.
mlconnelly
Some of my family came from Tradeston/Plantation and from Govan areas and I'm hoping that someone may be able to help. I'm trying to find out what happened to my Grandfather's uncle and only very recently found out he had a son. Its a long shot but hopefully someone will be able to tell me if I have the right family.
I have Thomas Donachie living @ 812 Govan Rd marrying Sarah McGilvary of 122 Blackburn St on 13/1/1902 in St Margarets RC Church Kinning Park. Thomas was working as a iron rivetter and Sarah as a bolt screwer, so I'm assuming they both worked and probably met in 1 of the many shipyards of the times. They had a son named Alexander McGilvary Donachie, born 1902, and in 1926 he was living @ 96 Queen St? ( which would possably be Neptune St today). On the 30/7/1926 Alexander married Agnes Prentice (675 Govan Rd) @ St Saviours RC Church. Again both probably worked in the shipyards being a rivet heater and a wire winder. By 1933 Alexander and Agnes were possibly living @ 90 George St, off George Square. Both Thomas and Sarah are deceased by the time Alexander gets married. Thomas is listed as being a gold miner on Alexanders marriage certificate but as I can't find any record of their deaths I'm assuming they have left Scotland at some point. Thomas was born the the Trongate/Gallowgate area of Glasgow and had a sister Elizabeth (Lizzie) who lived in Main St Bridgeton and a brother Francis who joined the Argyll & Sutherlands.
Does any of this ring a bell with anyone. Mary smile.gif unsure.gif

IRENE MALTMAN
QUOTE (Boydy @ 20th Sep 2009, 04:39pm) *
There you go Peas and barley.
Class picture from Harmony Row.
Click to view attachment

I love this photo. What year was this taken? I attended Harmony Row from 1945 to 1952. Would love to hear more. I attended Govan High from 1952 till 1955 and then went on to join the Celtic Ballet company until moving to California with my parents. Nathaniel and Elizabeth Maltman..... Anybody remember me or the Maltmans or the Fergusons from Govan? unsure.gif
Doug1
Aye theres no place quite like Govan. I havent lived in Govan for a very long time but as a teenager to my late twenties i worked for my family radio and tv business and music shop (Jolly's) in Shaw street and it was a great place to be in those days. Writing this oot is bringing back long forgotten memories of Mrs Flemings sweet and cake shop and Angies hairdressing shop (gorgeous girls working there) then there was Dolf the barber at the Govan road end. Gillespies furniture shop and Dands corner shop on Langlands Road and of course who didnt know Andy Mcneils cycle shop

Govan was a thriving community where folks from Pollock and Priesthill and such areas would come and do their shopping. Just think of the cinemas The Vogue the lyceum the Plaza and the Elder and these cinemas would be packed out solid on Saturday nights. The Pearce Institute everyone went there for something and of course the south Govan town hall for it's regular Boxing which I recall was always packed oot with women !!! Who thinks women are the weaker sex !! not in Govan they werent

The shipyards, the big car ferry and the wee passenger ferries chugging away all day long. lots of pubs and lots of churches and chapels all sum up Govan but by far and away Govan is summed up by its people. Rough and tough? yes sometimes, but the friendliest and kindest folk you could ever hope to meet

Aye I've enjoyed writing this. You can take the man out Govan but you cant take Govan out of the man

Cheers to all

I was born in Kintra Street, above Delaney's shop. As a child I went to the Summertown Road Nursery School, then to St Saviours School. The school had an annual trip doon the watter on the Caledonia(?), sailing from the Princes Dock. My granny stayed above Stewarts grocer shop at the corner of Neptune Street and Summertown Road. Diagonally opposit her was the Rag Store. As was already mentioned - the gas lamps in the streets and closes. If the mantle was out at the bottom of the close then you knew there was a ghostie man up that close. lol I also remember that me and my brothers all had crew cuts. We'd be coming home from school and the barber - Maurie, would pull us in for a haircut. He'd tell us to let my dad know and he would pay him at the weekend when he was in for his own haircut.

The family, including uncles, aunts and cousins, would to on a Tuesday night to the Swimming Baths at Clynder Street. The kids would go again at the weekend. Walking down Broomloan Road past the subway repair depot and the rear of Govan Police Office on my way to going to the minors at the Plaza on a Saturday morning to see Charlie Chan and Commander Cody and Flash Gordon.

Going to the wee tobacco shop, next to Kennedy's Pub, so that my old Irish Granny could by her snuff. Continueing on and walking past the Govan Goods Yard and having to wait while the Fairfield train pulled the carriages loaded with steel along Govan Road to the Yard.

Shopping with my granny in the "Golly" (Burleigh Street) then onto Langland Road and eventually arriving at Woolworths.

Going down to Water Row to watch the ferries or jumping on the passenger ferry on the way to the Kelvingrove Museum or the carnival at Kelvin Hall.
Doug1
QUOTE (crawfurd @ 29th Jun 2007, 10:32pm) *
my dad had jacks rolls it went back to 1923 and the vans were red and there were 800 shops the cakes and pies rolls were lovely and i used to play in the bakery attics

Hi Crawfurd. I remember your Dads company well as (if my memory hasnt dimmed) his bakery was in Shaw street next to where my Dad had an radio and tv shop.... or was it down by the ferry ?? but wherever it was I knew you Dad and I think your brothers as well and i further remember being in your dads house which i think may have been in the giffnock / newton mearns area. If I am completely wrong just put it down to the ramblings of an old man

Fablevison has put a slide show of photographs of this year's procession on Flickr.

You can see it here. Govan Fair 2012

There's a video here: Northern Lights
Doug1
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 14th Jun 2012, 08:57am) *
Govan fair 2012

Fablevison has put a slide show of photographs of this year's procession on Flickr.

You can see it here. Govan Fair 2012

There's a video here: Northern Lights

Hi Dexter

Is this 2012 govan fair a continuation of the old govan fair i well remember as a boy in the 1950s to 1960's The original fair was often headed by local cycle shop owner Andy Macneil who i think may have rode a penny farthing ??

Regards Doug
QUOTE (Hollywood1945 @ 7th Jul 2010, 04:27pm) *
Hi my names Michelle Hollywood. My mum and dad where both brought up in the Govan Area in the 50s and 60s. My mum Veronica Scanlan was from the Whyne Alley and my dad Brian Hollywood was from Neptune St. Did anyone know them by any chance? Id like to find out a wee bit about them.

Also i dont know if this is the right site to come on. Does anyone know which is best?

I remember the Hollywoods the guy was a good fitba player and i think you will find it was the wine alley, although whyne sounds just as good as you could hear a lot of that goin on any Sat night
enrique
QUOTE (jostto @ 1st Aug 2010, 01:34am) *
[size="4"]Both my parents were brought up in govan around neptune st and married in 1942, Names Watters, probably left govan for pollok in the 1950s. Any info on them would be good, Da was in the shipyards and ma had hunners o weans lol, im the youngest!

I played football with Joe Watters , him and his brothers i think there were 3 all together, played for Harmoney row they came from Govan but moved to Pollok
enrique
Hi Jim d i am from your part of Govan , i remember the big families , McEvoys and Petersens from Iona Street, i think the Petersens had about 14 , remember Jeans cafe for the peas and vinegar , wee Franks from Kintra street , he sold everything , his son became quite famous in the 60s when he had a fashion shop in Carnaby Street , his second name was Steven, Polinis the chippie , the wash house and steamie at Clynder street, on the down side the wineoes that sat outside the school drinking the liquid off the tops of the silvo and duraglit, had to step over them, good and bad times , used to walk to Bellahouston Park or Elder park nae bother , dont think the kids nowadays would do that
eva harris
QUOTE (enrique @ 15th Jun 2012, 02:18pm) *
Hi Jim d i am from your part of Govan , i remember the big families , McEvoys and Petersens from Iona Street, i think the Petersens had about 14 , remember Jeans cafe for the peas and vinegar , wee Franks from Kintra street , he sold everything , his son became quite famous in the 60s when he had a fashion shop in Carnaby Street , his second name was Steven, Polinis the chippie , the wash house and steamie at Clynder street, on the down side the wineoes that sat outside the school drinking the liquid off the tops of the silvo and duraglit, had to step over them, good and bad times , used to walk to Bellahouston Park or Elder park nae bother , dont think the kids nowadays would do that

eva harris
Hi,

Does anyone remember the Whitelaws, my mam was Mary born there 1933 the Broomlyn Road, the moved to Drumchapel I think in the 50's.

Love to hear old stories
Doug1
QUOTE (enrique @ 15th Jun 2012, 02:18pm) *

Hi Enrique. The Steven you refer to was John Steven and he did open a trendy shop in Carnaby Street and from that virtually invented "Carnaby street" Last weekend i was out for dinner with Johns cousin, an lifelong friend of mine from our Govan days and one of the things we talked about was his cousin John
Doug1
Ref post#31 Jim D "Shopping with my granny in the "Golly" (Burleigh Street) then onto Langland Road and eventually arriving at Woolworths"

Hi Jim. It's funny to hear you referring to "the Golly" i havent heard that name for a very long time My grandfather lived in Burleigh street. As I recall it was such an odd and quaint little street.
Boydy
QUOTE (IRENE MALTMAN @ 30th Mar 2012, 07:16am) *
I love this photo. What year was this taken? I attended Harmony Row from 1945 to 1952. Would love to hear more. I attended Govan High from 1952 till 1955 and then went on to join the Celtic Ballet company until moving to California with my parents. Nathaniel and Elizabeth Maltman..... Anybody remember me or the Maltmans or the Fergusons from Govan? unsure.gif

I'm sorry I haven't visited the site for a while. The picture would have been 1962/3 The teacher is miss Underwood who was also my Dad's teacher.
Guvinboay
QUOTE (Doug1 @ 7th Aug 2012, 09:20pm) *
Ref post#31 Jim D "Shopping with my granny in the "Golly" (Burleigh Street) then onto Langland Road and eventually arriving at Woolworths"

Hi Jim. It's funny to hear you referring to "the Golly" i havent heard that name for a very long time My grandfather lived in Burleigh street. As I recall it was such an odd and quaint little street.

I lived near Burliegh St. for years circa 1950s and never heard the word "Golly" to describe it. Do you remember the Govan Mansions between Burliegh st. and Langland rd. Fascinating architecture.
Pictures of said street on Citynoise Govan.
DavidT
Community event this Saturday. Outdoor music stage at Cafe 13 (facing wee baby Govan), video, artworks, theatre events in the P.I.
Govan and Craigton Integration Network celebration of Govan's migratory story and shipbuilding heritage. Free event. Saturday 15th June 2013 (afternoon).
Click to view attachment
Boydy
Does anyone remember the name of the photographers shop on Govan Road?
Guvin Wullie
QUOTE (Jim D @ 22nd May 2012, 12:36pm) *
I was born in Kintra Street, above Delaney's shop. As a child I went to the Summertown Road Nursery School, then to St Saviours School. The school had an annual trip doon the watter on the Caledonia(?), sailing from the Princes Dock. My granny stayed above Stewarts grocer shop at the corner of Neptune Street and Summertown Road. Diagonally opposit her was the Rag Store. As was already mentioned - the gas lamps in the streets and closes. If the mantle was out at the bottom of the close then you knew there was a ghostie man up that close. lol I also remember that me and my brothers all had crew cuts. We'd be coming home from school and the barber - Maurie, would pull us in for a haircut. He'd tell us to let my dad know and he would pay him at the weekend when he was in for his own haircut.

The family, including uncles, aunts and cousins, would to on a Tuesday night to the Swimming Baths at Clynder Street. The kids would go again at the weekend. Walking down Broomloan Road past the subway repair depot and the rear of Govan Police Office on my way to going to the minors at the Plaza on a Saturday morning to see Charlie Chan and Commander Cody and Flash Gordon.

Going to the wee tobacco shop, next to Kennedy's Pub, so that my old Irish Granny could by her snuff. Continueing on and walking past the Govan Goods Yard and having to wait while the Fairfield train pulled the carriages loaded with steel along Govan Road to the Yard.

Shopping with my granny in the "Golly" (Burleigh Street) then onto Langland Road and eventually arriving at Woolworths.

Going down to Water Row to watch the ferries or jumping on the passenger ferry on the way to the Kelvingrove Museum or the carnival at Kelvin Hall.

Well I remember the "rag Store" and my mother and father going there to get rid of all our unwanted clothes. My father brought back a very large and broad tie from India during the war.

It was turquoise blue silk with Paisley pattern embroidered in real silver thread. You could not wear it in Govan!!! Latter when Carnaby st. altered our perceptions on dress, i kicked myself for letting that tie go to the rag man. Also can still picture clearly in my mind the "Polis Station" Went to the minors in the plaza every Saturday and your Granny would have got her snuff from that we tobacconist in Burleigh st. jist a'hint the Brechin. I remember the opening and the building of Woolies on Langlands rd. an it wis a magnet for us weans. Went to Kelvin Ha' on the same ferry a a lived jist doon frae Wattur row. The Fairfield plate train was still pulled by a massive Clydsdale horse from the goods yaird to the main gate of Fairfields an still on rails to the plating shop. Did youse go tae St. Gerards an if so when?
Guvin Wullie
QUOTE (Boydy @ 8th Mar 2014, 08:39pm) *
Does anyone remember the name of the photographers shop on Govan Road?

I remember a photographers on Govan rd. near the Lyceum, but I can't remember the names of but a few shops on Govan rd. Try other Govan sites that carry pictures of older Govan, many shop's names are visible in the old photos.
DavidT
Clydeside women
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.