Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Garthamlock
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Districts
GG
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Garthamlock

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Garthamlock

GG.
sumac
When I was about 12, we were rehoused from a room and kitchen with outside toilet (6 kids, 2 adults) in Townhead to a 3 storey terrace house in Garthamlock.

We had a long living room cum diner, a proper kitchen, 4 bedrooms (!) and a bathroom, not to mention a front garden and a double back garden. We couldn't believe the space. No more sharing a bed, or sharing a room with 7 other people! A bathroom with a bath, and a toilet just for our family INSIDE the house! And running hot water!

However, we soon realised that we couldn't see our friends any more (at least, not often) because the bus fares were too dear for mum and dad. No more walking down the Parly Road into the town if we were fed-up - all we had were fields, fields and more fields, with the odd cow thrown in for a wee change.

The "shops" were in a wee row of only about six, and there was nothing to buy there except milk and bread and boring stuff like that. A family moved in from Easterhouse and soon terrorised the place. We got stones thrown at our windows, and at us, spat on, called all sorts of names - and nighttime was a nightmare. Dad worked night shift, so that was when the real horror started.

I'm sorry, but Garthamlock holds nothing but a bad feeling for me. We lived there for about 5 years before we escaped to the peace of Dennistoun.
Big Wattie
Garthamlock,
Lived there for 5 horrible years, what a nightmare of a place, was glad the pulled the place down (Clonbeith St)
hughmac
Taken at no. 12 Binns Road, Garthamlock in 1957. Me, (top right), ma 2 sisters, ma auntie Cathy and cousins and ma wee granny Annie. We lived there from 1955 'til 1964.

Click to view attachment
Slimer
I went to Garthamlock High School and my Auntie Jean and Uncle Allan stayed in Binns Rd.Can`t remember the number though.
hughmac
Hi Slimer,
what was their surname?
sandy36
went to school in garthamlock in 1984 till 1986. nothing but bad memories for me, some nice people there but some not so nice! was constantly picked on because i came from ruchazie (ruchazie and the "gar-t " always fought one another). certain girls would wait for me after school to give me a doin! was very glad to have left when i was sixteen. sorry Garthamlock not so good for me !
Slimer
QUOTE (hughmac @ 10th Jan 2008, 10:18 AM) *
Hi Slimer,
what was their surname?

Their name was Cuzen.
hughmac
Sorry Slimer, don't recall the name Cuzen. Then again, it WAS 45 years ago. Can't remember what I was doing last week, never mind that far back!
Alex Arundel
Och well...I might as well try....I left Garthamlock....in 1960 I think...I was a wee boy...we moved there form The Gorbals and although my Ma and Da never liked it I still remember my primary school....playing in the water Towers...that wee lane near them....up to Ruchazie...or walking to Gartcosh.....climbing over the walls of the loony bin as we called it....it had an organ in a wee out house....I can still hear the sound of it....we moved to Drumoyne....then I went London then New York and now Nashvilleand still it is all in my heart....45 Tillycairn Road top flight....coalman and his bag is stilo with me.....sweep.....I miss it..anyone out there..I have travellled a million miles.....I am a performer......man..I would love a pie supper

love yeez all

Sandy
Muroo
I used to play up in those water towers too (in the sixties) ...in Cranhill I think it was,good memories smile.gif
walker
a was born and bread in gar t,, moved away in 1990 then eventuly back in 2002 no place like home,, yes its a crazy place but wer isnt these days,, i love it here.. GYTO TIL I DIE!!
wee anne
I HAD COUSINS THAT LIVED IN GARTHAMLOCK NAME OF WRIGHT ONE COUSIN WAS A TERROR HIS NAME WAS FRANK WRIGHT,HE USED TO BREAK INTO HIS MAW,S METER THE DAY BEFORE THE MAN CAME TO EMPTY IT,,
Mc.Groarty
QUOTE (hughmac @ 10th Jan 2008, 12:09am) *
Taken at no. 12 Binns Road, Garthamlock in 1957. Me, (top right), ma 2 sisters, ma auntie Cathy and cousins and ma wee granny Annie. We lived there from 1955 'til 1964.

Click to view attachment

We lived at No. 62 Binns Road for many a year!!
Gary Paton
QUOTE (sumac @ 3rd Apr 2007, 09:33pm) *
When I was about 12, we were rehoused from a room and kitchen with outside toilet (6 kids, 2 adults) in Townhead to a 3 storey terrace house in Garthamlock.

We had a long living room cum diner, a proper kitchen, 4 bedrooms (!) and a bathroom, not to mention a front garden and a double back garden. We couldn't believe the space. No more sharing a bed, or sharing a room with 7 other people! A bathroom with a bath, and a toilet just for our family INSIDE the house! And running hot water!

However, we soon realised that we couldn't see our friends any more (at least, not often) because the bus fares were too dear for mum and dad. No more walking down the Parly Road into the town if we were fed-up - all we had were fields, fields and more fields, with the odd cow thrown in for a wee change.

The "shops" were in a wee row of only about six, and there was nothing to buy there except milk and bread and boring stuff like that. A family moved in from Easterhouse and soon terrorised the place. We got stones thrown at our windows, and at us, spat on, called all sorts of names - and nighttime was a nightmare. Dad worked night shift, so that was when the real horror started.

I'm sorry, but Garthamlock holds nothing but a bad feeling for me. We lived there for about 5 years before we escaped to the peace of Dennistoun.

nina mccormick
tongue.gif hi name nina i was born in glasgow brought up in garthamlock tillycairn rd lived wi ma gran in granda uncles james paul in allan moved away when i was 17 moved to craigend i loved grown up there went to gt high wish it was still standing tillycairn rd that is lol xx
captain
lived in garthamlock 13yrs.went the nog school.stayed in inverlochy st.
beth
I have lost touch with my daddy's family. His one brother, Patrick Bennett lived in Tattershall Road
Carol Goddard/Dunn
Hi Alex Arundel. Do you remember me? - Carol Dunn and I lived at 43 Tillycairn Rd, bottom floor, from 1955 until 1965. I now live in New Zealand and I am looking for my friend Carol Arnold, now Carol Purves. Do you remember anyone who might know her?. If anyone would like to talk to me about those days in Garthamlock email me at "rocke316@xtra.co.nz"
thomaswilson
QUOTE (nina mccormick @ 26th May 2009, 10:31pm) *
tongue.gif hi name nina i was born in glasgow brought up in garthamlock tillycairn rd lived wi ma gran in granda uncles james paul in allan moved away when i was 17 moved to craigend i loved grown up there went to gt high wish it was still standing tillycairn rd that is lol xx

Nina my name is Thoma wilson lived at 88 tillycairn rd with my gran Mary Wales and my cousin James wales, I think i used to be freinds with Paul Mcormick, im 45 now he would be the same age, I am Now living in Cape Town South Africa.
*jojo*
i lived in gar t most of my childhood went 2 the nog then the greg
My dad was an ambulance man and wensomeone was hurt it was always oor door in inverlochy st they came to.My wee ma god rest her was the weejannie in kincardine nurseryfor years. alli can say is i had agreat time in garthamlock there was always plenty of us out playing chap door runaway kick the can n hide n seek bet we annoyed afew of the neighbours though.
dizzybint
Hate the place with a passion, nothing but bad memories there when my wee mammy and myself were forced out to live there from Brigton as there were no houses here for us at that time.. I had terrible neighbours and have written about all this on the Tachras site under Maude..
bs1966
Guys, does anyone have any pictures of Binns Road, Garthamlock from the late 50's/60s ideally the top of Binns Road at Bavelaw St, a long shot but worth a try, I lived at number 15.

bs
ajcurran
hislimer. i was in tattershall road 1978-1980 when i was 14 and stayed with my granny curran..a few bad but mostly good memories. it made me who i amtoday. that road is the only past home that makes me smile today..mental but real...i have lived in folkestone near dover england for 30 years now..i love it but miss the old town..angie
tom munro
QUOTE (nina mccormick @ 26th May 2009, 10:36pm) *

Did you have any relation called COLIN, ANN ,CATHERINE, ALEC AND ROSINA.
oscarmotz
I had cousins who lived at No 9 Binns road they were called William and Mary Sallie they had two girls Margaret and Maureen,then i think they moved to Longston Road Cranhill and had a son called Stephen Sallie.But lost touch with them many years ago i don't know if stephen stayed in Garthamlock after his parents died.
Jack Docherty
QUOTE (ajcurran @ 19th Jun 2012, 11:55pm) *
hislimer. i was in tattershall road 1978-1980 when i was 14 and stayed with my granny curran..a few bad but mostly good memories. it made me who i amtoday. that road is the only past home that makes me smile today..mental but real...i have lived in folkestone near dover england for 30 years now..i love it but miss the old town..angie

Hi there just read your post about G-arT i stayed in tatty as we called it think i remember you angie we all hung about together round the backs and doon the school we used to hang about wae a guy john fallon me and him were best buds then my names jack doc does any that ring a bell angie the auld gar-t is away now but tattys still there always wee jack THE T-Y-R Will always live on.
James rodgers
QUOTE (Jack Docherty @ 1st May 2013, 01:27pm) *
Hi there just read your post about G-arT i stayed in tatty as we called it think i remember you angie we all hung about together round the backs and doon the school we used to hang about wae a guy john fallon me and him were best buds then my names jack doc does any that ring a bell angie the auld gar-t is away now but tattys still there always wee jack THE T-Y-R Will always live on.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.