Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easterhouse
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Districts
GG
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Easterhouse

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Easterhouse

GG.
big karen
Hey hey, am the first one here...grew up in Easterhouse Road and we moved along the Swordale Place cause they were making them all into Barratt houses...woohoo, our old house was the new show house for them...went to Rogerfield Primary in 1978 and moved to Swordale Place in 79 or 80, then went to Easthall Primary school. I used to sell my Evening Times papers up at the shopping centre and we used to get them aff Big Chic in the next street, he also used to buy everybody's fag coupons, for bloody pennies when you think about now...lol
We used to play all the games in the street and you were probably only ever bothered with Sams mobile grocery van in the street, can't really rememeber many cars, well no in my street anyway..
Used to play houses in the closes and the big ones would make swings wae rope at the huge trees round the back...man they were the days...went back recently and it has totally changed, everything just looks so small, but hey maybe it's just that i've got bigger...went to secondary school in Bailleston (Bannerman High) and I used to love the woalk through the fields to Bailleston, hey another sign o the times cause there all houses as well...
Happy Days...Hope this finds ya Smiling.
betty2
Worked as a clippie oan the 211 bus fae easterhoose intae buchanan st bus station. Took the early mornin cleaners an am talkin early 5am in the mornin these wimmen made their way intae the city centre tae their various places o work. Also the men who worked in the fruit market at blochairn,. Then later on the shop and office workers , finishing off ma mornin shift drappin the weans at school. Great days and good hard workin people

still here in glesca
Marion Niven Dougan
I lived in Dunskaith Place in1962 a really nice place at that time. Would not go anywhere near it now !!
gallowgategal
QUOTE (Marion Niven Dougan @ 11th Oct 2007, 02:38 PM) *
I lived in Dunskaith Place in1962 a really nice place at that time. Would not go anywhere near it now !!

I lived in 25 Dunskaith St (corner of Dungeonhill Rd) from birth ie 1961 until 1973. I loved my childhood in Easterhouse biggrin.gif
halfpint
QUOTE (Marion Niven Dougan @ 11th Oct 2007, 01:38 PM) *

I was brought up in Dunskaith Place from 1958, until 1975, i still return to visit my best friend ,who lives in the area, i loved my childhood there,though i would not like to live there now. smile.gif
andypisces
Well that is now four of us lived in dunskaith place . i lived in number five the same close as marion . Vaguely recall her but i am so much younger than she is.....andra wink.gif
glasgow lass
laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
halfpint
QUOTE (andypisces @ 25th Oct 2007, 11:43 PM) *
Well that is now four of us lived in dunskaith place . i lived in number five the same close as marion . Vaguely recall her but i am so much younger than she is.....andra wink.gif

we lived in number 10 bottom left .sure folk will remember the family with all those weans wink.gif
andypisces
och you were probably some o' the kids that used tae play oan ma scooter rolleyes.gif .....andra
Marion Niven Dougan
Hi Andra, am gonna murder you. Halfpint, whit's yer name?? where's nu,ber 10 a canny mind, wiz that the close the Rennies lived in? Dae ye know Magaret Reid, she sent me a nasty email through friends reunited, my sister dictated it and she sent it. Not supposed to do that. I contacted the Abuse Manager she is now of Friends reunited
halfpint
QUOTE (Marion Niven Dougan @ 26th Oct 2007, 05:38 PM) *
Hi Andra, am gonna murder you. Halfpint, whit's yer name?? where's nu,ber 10 a canny mind, wiz that the close the Rennies lived in? Dae ye know Magaret Reid, she sent me a nasty email through friends reunited, my sister dictated it and she sent it. Not supposed to do that. I contacted the Abuse Manager she is now of Friends reunited

YEP!! KNEW THE RIEDS , THOUGH MARGARET YOUNGER THAN ME KATHIE AND I USED TO GO ABOUT AT ONE TIME (EASTERHOUSE PROJECT ) OH HAPPY DAYS , IM MARIE ROBERTSON THE SHY ONE OFF THE ROBERTSON CLAN. YES IT WAS NUMBER 10! THE RENNIES STAYED , JOE DELIA,AND A YOUNGER SISTER WHOS NAME FORGET, MY BROTHER WENT AROUND WITH JOE AND ALKIE MURRAY, HE LIVED AT NO8. I LIVE IN HOLLAND HAVE DONE SINCE 1999, THOUGH I GET BACK HOME OFTEN WEANS @ GRANDWEANS THERE.
halfpint
QUOTE (andypisces @ 26th Oct 2007, 12:51 PM) *
och you were probably some o' the kids that used tae play oan ma scooter rolleyes.gif .....andra

WE PROBABLY DID!!! CAUSE I DONT REMEMBER ANY OFF US HAVING A BIKE OR A SCOOTER tongue.gif I ALSO WORKED IN MOIRS THE PAPER SHOP AT THE SWEETY COUNTER, A LIFETIME AGO
sandy36
moved to easterhouse when i was about 5 lived in 1 buchlyvie st ,went to blairtummock primary.what a blast from the past, i was up there for an interview at john wheatlly college and i couldnt believe the changes!
the old flat is no longer there but the school is .
moved to ruchazie when i was about 8 or 9 was unbelievably worse than easterhouse for gang fights and stuff!
olly12
my family were one of the first to move into dunskaith st we lived in no 14 we stayed their untill they decied to demolish them we had a lot of great memories it was really good back then,i went back a lot of years later it brought back a lot of old times sad /happyif i could turn back the clock,yes i wouldwill never forget it .
maureen murphynee mccombe
hi there half pint was one of your brothers gerry we used to go about with a gerry robertson and john mcqueen from your st .i lived in lochend rd and went around with betty macormack and went to lochend sec , that was around 1972, if so say hi if he remembers us .maureen
mollybrown
QUOTE (halfpint @ 25th Oct 2007, 11:07pm) *
I was brought up in Dunskaith Place from 1958, until 1975, i still return to visit my best friend ,who lives in the area, i loved my childhood there,though i would not like to live there now. smile.gif

hi you say you lived in dunskaith place, my mother lived there too did you know her ,no 7 jean feeney did u know her, shes dead now,but think she went too bars round about 1974 boyfriend bit older peter feeney two children fiona and sylvia well ty regards mollybrown
beth
We moved to the wonderful new housing estate called Easterhoue in 1958. For heaven's sake the buses did not even run into it then. We lived in Errogie Street and then moved to Duntarvie Road across from the shops. I even worked in Stewart's the newsagents when I was at Charlotte Street. It was supposed to be the answer to the slums and the gorbals and it was for a couple of years. Then the rot set in. No shops, schools transport just rows and rows of houses and a couple of pubs; my mum and dad worked in them. How sad was that. was pleasantly surprised last year when home on holiday. It looked much better when we drove through, but not sure if I would like to live there again
Heather
Beth, I had relations who lived in Erogie Street, the Nicols who also moved there in 1958.
I think there were two families with that same name.
My aunt & uncle had two boys and one girl Helen, who was the eldest.
serabash
I lived in Baldinnie Rd from 1958 to 1964 when ma mammy an daddy bought a room and kitchen back in Tollcross tae get away fae horrible neighbours up the stairs. I went tae Blairtummock school. I was shocked tae see the changes in the place last time I was up that way.
Drew
I lived at 138 Lochend Road next to the 41 bus terminus. I was in the first intake at Lochend School and moved to the area in around 1963 from Dennistoun - our street was to be demolished as part of the preliminary works to build the Motorway on the route of the old Monkland Canal. I have a copy of the 1966 Kelly's Directory of Glasgow here so if anyone wants to know who was living in their close that year please let me know.
margie
Hi Drew, Do you remember a guy named Billy Gold. He would be in his sixties now. cheers Margie.
Drew
QUOTE (margie @ 6th Feb 2011, 09:50pm) *
Hi Drew, Do you remember a guy named Billy Gold. He would be in his sixties now. cheers Margie.

There was a Hugh Gold at 5 Dalilea Drive, just round the corner from me Margie. I dont remember the name but I would certainly have known him if this is the family. Where did you live?
margie
Hi Drew, I did,nt live in Easterhouse but I remember going out with Billy a few times. All I can remember is he lived just round from the shops. It was so long ago, I think he worked for a firm called Scotts and I think he was a joiner or electrician. He was a lovely guy and a gentleman. cheers Margie.
marydee
Thank you very much for the info from the Kelly's Directory, Drew it confirmed event occurred in 1966 just need to get the month now
Angelines
Hiya,

I used to visit my Granny & Grandad Wilkes at Langbar Crescent when I was little, last up there for Grandads funeral 1988. I remember the big bins out the back and the coal sheds up the stairs, always remember the pop van that used to come around. Lived in England and was very surprised to find out it never sold ice cream but sweets etc and bottles of Irn bru, lovely memories. Googled the street the other day at it's still the same, not changed like some of the others have, will show my mum next time she is over. She will love this site as she grew up there and has loads of memories, great site xx
tootsie
QUOTE (betty2 @ 11th Oct 2007, 01:22am) *
Worked as a clippie oan the 211 bus fae easterhoose intae buchanan st bus station. Took the early mornin cleaners an am talkin early 5am in the mornin these wimmen made their way intae the city centre tae their various places o work. Also the men who worked in the fruit market at blochairn,. Then later on the shop and office workers , finishing off ma mornin shift drappin the weans at school. Great days and good hard workin people

still here in glesca

Hiya I moved to easterhouse when I was 15 (1969) we lived in dalilea place then I moved in with my future hubby to duntarvie place about 1979 (he worked on the same buses betty). we moved to errogie street about 1985 and I am still here.
jak1948
Hi,
I stumbled upon this site and found it very interesting as a former Easterhouse inhabitant. We were one of the very first families to arrive.We
moved into a brand new 3 apt at 54 Wellhouse Crescent,there were only
two other closes finished at the time,nos 56 & 58.Everything around was just fields and mud,wot a nightmare.As kids,we played in and around the
buildings being constructed, such as Wellhouse Primary and subsequently
John Ogilvie schools,it was all a big new world for a boy of eight from Maryhill.I spent my early and teenage years there.Lived through all the gang issues etc. I worked on the Tango Cafe ice cream vans for a while. After marrying and moving away around 1970 i had the pleasure of coming back to my old place through my work as a bus driver on the green buses a few years later. It was great to see the old place again. Was back at my old haunts,Rigg Pl,Carriden Pl,Langbar & wellhouse crescents for a wee nostalgic visit recently. Loved growing up in Easteregg.Had many friends and lots of great times there.I will always have a soft spot for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.