Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hamleys To Open In Buchanan St
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow News Blog
GG
The world-famous London toy store, Hamleys, is to open a branch in Glasgow, giving the city the chain's first Scottish store. The branch is to be located within Frasers department shop in Buchanan Street, in the heart of Glasgow's shopping district. The innovative £1.5m development, while not as large as its flagship Regent Street store in London which is over seven floors, will employ 20 staff and is expected to take up 6000 square feet of store space on the top of House of Fraser from September of this year.

Company chief executive Nick Mather said that Glasgow was chosen as the location for their first store in Scotland because of Glaswegians love of shopping, adding:
"We did a lot of research and found Glasgow is within the top five cities in Britain for spending power per head, so it is a great retail destination for us...We will also be fitting out the store with magicians, jugglers and regular toy demonstrations, as well as having appearances by sports stars and celebrities."

The toy shop is one of a number of recent new shopping experiences to be added to the city's growing portfolio of exciting stores, following hot on the trail of exclusive destinations such as celebrity handbag shop Mulberry, luxury lingerie company Agent Provocateur and computer company Apple, which is opening soon in The Pier in Buchanan Street.

Rate this story now...

GG.

Photograph © Hamleys.
marina
i love toy stores, brings out the kid in me, ill definately be paying it a visit but id better take alexander with me so i dont look out of place laugh.gif
lindamac
is hamleys an english store? unsure.gif oopsadaisy shouldve read above 1st eh,och well at least it is in frasers biggrin.gif bonnie glesga is becoming renowned furr shopping eh?
penny dainty
over the years and in many cities , I still think Glasgow is second to none for shopping
nadine harris
Popped into Hamleys today and was bitterly disappointed! 20 staff and 6000 square metres of floor space? My foot!!! (And that's putting it politely!). There was only one member of staff at the till this afternoon and barely 60 square metres of floor space!! A truly minimal experience! My children were gutted.

In addition to which, in early January, I would have expected to find some items on sale but no such luck... Still, given the extremely limited stock available, we would have been pushed to find anything we wanted to buy!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.