Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glasgow Photo - Where?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
scossie
Another wee photae tae peek and pinch Ha'Ha'..Ya naughty wee gems... cool.gif ps Big kizz fur the winner/s...
Avril
Thats Elmvale Street going onto Springburn Road, is it noo??? Where's ma kizz??? rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif Ah used tae get off the No. 45 bus for school jist at the spot where the photographer must have been staunin'!
flam
Hi Georgia I believe you are top of the class,the photographer would have been standin around the bottom of Balgrayhill near Quins Pub and the Bundy clock which the Corporation Conductors of tram and buses had to stamp their cards,across the road would have been the swings Cheers Flim
Avril
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
GG
Here's a photo of the (very impressive looking) pub in the centre of the photo: if you click on the photo you'll get a slightly larger version - look at the street name!

GG.
stratson
Elmvale Street. huh.gif
Avril
That's what ah said???? unsure.gif wub.gif
GG
Sad to say that my memory of 'old' Springburn has almost been as obliterated as the place itself and I can't get an exact fix on where this is. To help me, can you tell me this please - in the picture where would Woolworths have been? I'm assuming five minutes walk up Springburn Road veeering towards the right...

GG.
Avril
The pub was on the junction of Elmvale Street and Springburn Road. Almost opposite the pub on Springburn Road was the bottom of Balgrayhill and Woolworths was just along from that. On the corner to the left the pub was the church and the swingpark smile.gif biggrin.gif
scossie
Gon yirsel's..Here's a wee smacker so watch yir laquer...
Yir awe spot on.. cheers cool.gif
lindamac
biggrin.gif In post 1 behind the bus & doon the botom of the hill was Elmvale primary school which I went to see it takes up back of phoaty? biggrin.gif...................GG I thought that Maguiers pub eventuated to be called Shevlanes roon frae that roon tae the left where other bus is on springburn rd was, the Vulcan pub (ye cin see it better in post 1 phoaty a think?& the Boundary Bar took up the other corner oan for side of shevlanes.crickey noo thurr was merr pubs than we knew witt tae dae with eh & other pubs were Thomsons up past swing park past Galbraiths took up a corner which led up tae mibees Hilkirk st?what pub was oan the Balgrayhill rd noo cos a thought it was quinns? ye know that wan afore ye reached woolies?
GG
Sorry lindamac, I don't know much about the old pubs in Springburn because I was too young to drink in them before they went, hopefully someone will be able to name them. I am getting a better sense of where the photo was taken from in terms of how Springburn is today. The following two photographs helped me - probably taken by Strathclyde Regional Council staff - which are quaintly entitled "Springburn Realignment" (as if Springburn was some recalcitrant child in need of a short-sharp-shock to get him back on the right path!).

The first is from 1981 and looking towards Elmvale Primary School.

GG.
GG
The second is one year later, and the results of all the 'progress' are there to see.

GG.
Avril
Very sad pics GG......What have they done to Springburn? I'd rather remember it as it was ohmy.gif sad.gif
GG
They are sad indeed georgia, and here's the saddest one of all coming up, where you see what all the "Springburn Realignment" was for - a crappy road built without regard to the Springburn community, just so that commuters could escape to the suburbs quicker, after enduring a day's work in Glasgow city centre!

These two photos were taken - by me - almost exactly 21 years later. The first (so you can get your bearings) shows the police station and the flats from roughly the same perspective as the two photos above, now look at the white box on the police station roof as I swing the camera 90 degress and move and turn from west to north...

GG.
GG
...now look for the white box in this photo at the extreme left of the (middle of) photo and you will see that everything has gone for the sake of the road...thanks to the 'city fathers'.

GG.
Avril
mad.gif The 'city fathers' should be hung, drawn and quartered! They've taken away all the character of Springburn mad.gif
matt.63
was,nt he Burroo offices somewhere on springburn road not thet I ever used it looking at the photos ther was also a fire station near the top of keppochhill rd and springburn road
championi26
The fire station is now flats.....

Quins was across the road from Woolies next to the underground toilets ..and across the other road from Shevlanes......the pic posted by GG...where the police station was on the right....the boundary bar was over on the left hand corner....

Also the was The Bells,The Stag,The Vulcan and the Kerry Inn...to name a few...

Needless tp say I was in them as I plyed Darts for The Cairn Bar in Balornock
toerag
And right beside Woolies was the City Bakeries where we had our wedding reception, many years ago, still have the bill!!!!!!!!!!!! There was an employment office at the corner near Elmvale St, when I left school colston, stopped in at this office on my walk home to Springburn to see about a job, started the next week in the Alliance Box office in Possil! Will be there in a couple of weeks, so will have a wee wander up Springburn, what is left of it, but it will still be good memories.
Lennox
I can't believe this is the same place , I used to pass twice a week , from the Dundas Street bus station on my way up to Kirkintilloch. Sad.. sad.gif
glenafton
Keep this thread going please. Not only am I brushing up on my geography I am getting some great pictures for my collection biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
flam
Hi Matt.63 and all here is a photo of Springburn Fire Station situated as you say at the corner of Keppochhill Road and Springburn Road .The White Building to the left of the photo above the red car at the top of the hill is the old Social [D.H.S.S.] and in front of the social would have been the Kinema Picture Hall [The Coffin ] Cheers Flim
matt.63
Hey flam great picture no idea of date?
flam
Hi Matt .63 I reckon it was about ten years ago so it is quite a modern photo,here it is again "The Buroo" as you call it
flam
Hi Matt .63 I reckon it was about ten years ago so it is quite a modern photo,here it is again "The Buroo" as you call it
matt.63
definately the place, don't know if the building is the old burooo?
but the driveway up to it is the same. Thanks
GG
Great photos flam, thanks for posting. I've a feeling that the actual 'Buroo' office was a bit further up and round the bend. I think it was demolished at least at time the photo was taken and the spot now contains modern flats built last year. I'm not sure though - can anyone confirm?

GG.
Avril
I remember that part of Springburn Road, that was where the Kinema was, was it not? Petershill Road was round the corner on the left and just before that on Springburn Road (opposite the Kinema) was a wee knitting shop called Perivale where my mum was a member of 'The Menage' (spelling???). They had knitting machines and used to knit lovely jumpers & cardigans. When my mums turn came round in the menage I used to get some lovely knitted skirt and cardigan sets, I was around 9-10 years old then.
championi26
Yip...used to sign on there when I left Albert School
championi26
Here are 2 pics I tool in 1976..amazing the lack of cars
championi26
and the next
championi26
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
flam
Hi Championi26 I believe the two photos in Post33 are of Balornock Area, i am sure i past these streets on the way to my mates in Wallacewell Road, but for the life of me i dont know there name, i will be more alert the next time i visit Cheers Flim
championi26
i know where they are ...i took them......lol... biggrin.gif
black and whie one is balornock rd at wallacewell rd .....the coloured one is barmulloch rd and broomknownes ed from my mums house....
GG
Excellent photos championi26, I liked especially the black and white one in true wide-screen. I was trying to think about what is different from a similarly placed shot today, and could come up with this:

The changing huts next to the playing fields are now long gone - footballers now have to trek down and up from the nearby Springburn Park changing accommodation, before and after a game on the pitches, respectively.
However, there is another major change which would just be visible: does anyone know what it is?

GG.

P.S. The photo is actually of Broomfield Road, although you could just about have been standing in Balornock Road when you took it! tongue.gif
flam
Hi Championi26 and all..The coloured photo, i would take the left sided road too my mates in Wallacewell Road,and in the black and white one there used to be Prefabs approximately 200 yards down from the car in photo Cheers Flim
championi26
Could it be Barmulloch College is now gone from the distant left habd side??
championi26
I remember playimg in the empty prefabs just before they were taken down......god I'm getting old!!!
Avril
Hi Flam, Is post 34 Bilsland Drive?
flam
Hi Georgia Yes it is Bilsland Drive with the renovated houses in the distance,Mayfield St etc!
marina
does anyone remember the prefabs that where just outside hampden park on the aitkenhead road side?
stuarty
aye marina my pals granny lived in them and when it rained the noise was terrible but a thought they were posh oh the age of innocence laugh.gif
championi26
Is #41 St Georges Cross??
aaron king
is post 37 the Askit Building in Saracen st?
GG
QUOTE (championi26 @ 1st Mar 2007, 08:19 AM) *
Could it be Barmulloch College is now gone from the distant left habd side??

Good try championi26, but at that angle I don't think you would be able to see the old college, or even the also now-demolished All Saints' Secondary School. What I was thinking about is the fire escapes built in to the long blocks of 'Red Road' flats. You can just see one peeking out from the block at the back in this 1999 photo...

GG.
flam
Hi All I guess a few of you may have memories of this area Cheers Flim
Isobel
Great pics. does no one have any of the east end of the city .Dennistoun, Riddrie, Ruchazie. All the places where I grew up.
aaron king
Is that keppochill rd? no47pic
marina
stuarty i always thought they were lovely wee houses
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.