Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bobby Shearer
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Cameron
It was sad to hear about the passing of Bobby Shearer who was one of the great fitba players who played for Rangers and Scotland he was 74 and passed away on Sunday We will miss him
iancameron
REST IN PEACE CAPTAIN CUTLASS
George Muir
I will always remember Bobby Shearer for his very wavy hair and he had the most powerful legs, I wouldn't want to try to stop one of his shots. He was a formidable player.
Living in the south side, within walking distance to Ibrox, I saw him quite a lot and the others of that period. Not many of them left now. I saw them play against a local team here in Canada in the late sixties. The funny thing was that a lot of the ex-pat Glasgow crowd watching the game were dressed in Glasgow Corporation bus drivers uniforms. laugh.gif
Davy's Girl
Aye....very sad indeed George...he was a long time full back partner of Eric Caldow.
I wonder if this rings a bell?.....

Niven, Caldow, Shearer, McColl, Young, Rae, Scott, Simpson, Kichenbrand, Baird and Hubbard

We arra peepel!!! laugh.gif
hubert
QUOTE (Davy's Girl @ 7th Nov 2006, 10:17 PM)
Aye....very sad indeed George...he was a long time full back partner of Eric Caldow.

Niven, Caldow, Shearer, McColl, Young, Rae, Scott, Simpson, Kichenbrand, Baird and Hubbard

RIP, Bobby Shearer.

I had left Scotland when he was still playing and saw that team DG posted.
Niven played for Scotland good goalie.
Caldow also Scotland good yin.
Shearer strong player.
McColl I thought he was overated, not as good as Bobby Evans.
George Young good right back, and I thought a better centre half.
Rae canny mind him?
Alex Scott verygood winger could move.
Sash Simpson played no bad for both Rangers and NI, never a class player.
Don Kichenbrand, Rhino, could score goals but no fitba player.
Sammy Baird, he opened a Pub, and called it the Clug In. LoL
Johnny Hubbard first class wee winger, great at penalties, was he South African, the same as Kichenbrand, canny mind?
jimmyd
Just saw this thread ,I saw Shearer play many times ,as George said he had legs like tree trunks .Jim Craig Ex Celt said on Celtic site he was " an animal on the park and a gentleman off it ".This was said with much fondness I hasten to add. RIP
carmella
It is very sad indeed. I've heard before about him being a gentleman off the field Jimmy, I think a lot of them were, especially going back over the earlier years in the game.

George you're right about his wavy hair, his build too as JimmyD said.

R.I.P. Captain Cutlass.
Scots Kiwi Lass
I was very sorry to hear about Bobby Shearer. I started following Rangers in 1956 and Bobby was in the team during the years until I emigrated in 1963. My favourite player of the time was Jim Baxter but I also admired Eric Caldow, Alex Scott and John Greig. Rangers have lost some fine players in recent years - Eric Caldow and Jim Baxter that I know of.

From what I can remember of Bobby Shearer, he was a fine Club player but did not play often for Scotland.

It would be great to hear how other Rangers players of my era have fared, if anyone has any information on them.
govanbear
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 6th Dec 2006, 10:45 AM) *
I was very sorry to hear about Bobby Shearer. I started following Rangers in 1956 and Bobby was in the team during the years until I emigrated in 1963. My favourite player of the time was Jim Baxter but I also admired Eric Caldow, Alex Scott and John Greig. Rangers have lost some fine players in recent years - Eric Caldow and Jim Baxter that I know of.

From what I can remember of Bobby Shearer, he was a fine Club player but did not play often for Scotland.

It would be great to hear how other Rangers players of my era have fared, if anyone has any information on them.

Eric Caldow is alive and kicking in Mauchline, just up the road from Ayr
Guest Dylan *
Story told by Jim Baxter at a Dinner.

Bobby would sign an autograph at the hint of a Pen.

At a Dance a Woman approached him and asked if he was Bobby Shearer.
Bobby confirms and produces a Pen.
No she said I do not want your Autograph--Pull up yopur trouser legs.
This he did and the woman was none to happy.
Bobby asked why and she said " My Husband said I had legs lke Bobby Shearer " !!
Scots Kiwi Lass
- I was very pleased indeed to hear that Eric Caldow is still alive and well. A friend who lives in Alloway told me around two years ago that Eric had passed away. My two sisters and I had a lot of admiration in for Eric in the late 50s / early 60s. I will now contact my sisters to tell them the good news!
Tennscot
Phill O`Donnell Collapsed and died during the game V Dundee Utd., He was 35. A sad sad day.
Dave Grieve
I know i'm a bit late adding to this topic but had to put down my favourite memory of Bobby Shearer.

It was a league game at Ibrox round about 64 or 65 and Big Yogi was at his best beating 3 or 4 defenders before falling over the ball, anyway he gets the ball again and off he goes beating one or two players, probably Celtic players for all he knew tongue.gif
Then he came up against Shearer who forced him to turn inside, Shearer chased him and Yogi turned back towards the Celtic half, Shearer kept chasing him eventually getting in a tackle well inside the Celtic half of the field won the ball and got the biggest cheer of the game. laugh.gif

Biggest compliment I can give the man as a footballer he was hated by the Celtic support
serabash
Bobby Shearer presented the trophies to my ex husbands football team (millerston thistle) in the 70s and when the team went to see Scotland play E ngland at Wembley they didn't have enough tickets for the game, so they had a draw to decide who got the tickets. My husband was unlucky and didn't get a ticket. He was sitting outside the stadium with his head in his hands with tears tripping him when along came Bobby Shearer and remembered Joe and asked what was wrong , when he told him Bobby gave him a ticket free and made one unhappy Scot very happy indeed.Joe will never forget Bobby and his generousity that day.
A Mackinnon
QUOTE (Davy's Girl @ 7th Nov 2006, 11:15pm) *

That team was a wee bit before my time biggrin.gif but the team Booby was best known to play with was one that most wee boys in the 60's could rhyme off without even thinking about it was : Niven, Shearer, Caldow, Greg, Mackinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Miller, Brand & Wilson.
RIP Bobby, a great team player who knew how to play the game o defender.
TeeHeeHee
My memory of meeting the great Bobby Shearer was when I was working as a fill-in waiter for a few weeks at the then brand new Lanarkshire House in Halfway, Cambuslang where my mate was a Chef in the kitchen. Bobby had a table reserved for him and his wife; the daughter of Nellie Scobie who had a baker's shop in Blantyre.
They'd ordered steaks and after I'd served them; me lookin' all smart in my bow tie and cummerbund and well mastering the old Silver Service technique tongue.gif, Mrs Shearer called me over in her Lady Muck tone to complain that the steak was not cooked properly and demanded to see the head chef.
I smiled gracefully and said I'd inform him of her request and went off to the kitchen.
Bobby was not happy.
The Head Chef, a very brusk and portly old English guy, came over to the table and introduced himself and asked what the complaint was. Mrs Shearer told him that the steak was so tough as to be inedible. The chef reached down to her plate, took the steak in his hands and tore a piece off, placed it in his mouth and said, "This steak is perfect!" then put the rest back on her plate and turned to walk back to the kitchen.
Bobby, lookin' totally p*ssed off with her, said to his wife, "You, get yer coat!" Then taking his wallet out he gave the manager a bunch of notes; without counting them out, apologised openly on her behalf and stormed off behind her.
Great wee guy.
When I told my dad that night he told me it went to her head being married to the great Bobby Shearer and she had always been an embarrassment to him with her stuck up posh attitude.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.