Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sweeties
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Food and Drink
Pages: 1, 2, 3
stuarty
oh a hated the taste of oddfellows a bit like cloves and they smelt like the old dentists what sweetie reminds you of somthing when young???????
keelie gal
floral gums .....yukkkkk tastes like yer eating yer talcum powder rolleyes.gif
stuarty
keelie is these the wans you ur talking aboot laugh.gif
stuarty
and theese
laugh.gif
marina
jars of all different coloured lollipops i always seem to get a flashback lol
Avril
A few years ago while we were visiting Glasgow, I fancied some Refreshers, although I hadn't seen them around for a while. I went into a wee sweetie shop in Anderson and asked the man behind the counter if he had any Refreshers...'REFRESHERS!' he replied, 'They went oot wi' Abba!!!' You can't beat the Glasgow sense of humour....AND...I'm glad to see that both Refreshers and Abba seem to have made a comeback!!! biggrin.gif wub.gif
marydee
The dinner money was spent most days at the ice cream van outside the school on M&B Bars, chocolate whoppers and double chocolate toffee.
Java
Oh, ah loved mb bars....and Lucky Tatties, absalootly disgustin but ye kept on sookin for the wee plastic toy in the middle....oh an Parma Violets, ah still love them... biggrin.gif
stuarty
hey java a was showen bob the lucky tatties the night remember they used to have a plastic charm in them oh a loved them
sumac
Lucky Tatties! I loved them! I'd forgotten about the wee thing in the middle!
Does anybody remember Coffee Crisp? It was a chocolate bar, chunky like Mars Bars, but coffee flavoured? They weren't out for very long before they vanished from the shops.
stuarty
hi sumac is this what you are talking about wink.gif
Avril
Did ye ever make sugarolly water with liquorice sticks? tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Melody
Is there anybody else in the whole world who remembers Merrolls?
Avril
YES! Melody I remember Merrols, they were in a tube, hard on the outside and soft & chewy on the inside....were they butterscotch flavoured? biggrin.gif wub.gif
stuarty
melody what is merrolls is it candy or what and a cant find any licourice water so stumped sorry lassies rolleyes.gif
Melody
Georgia you've made my day! They were just as Georgia remembered Stuarty. smile.gif
Elma
We get Coffe Crisp bars here, sumac, mars bars, kitkat and all the others, just ask rdem, he sells them!!!! tongue.gif

I remember sugarolly water, didn't taste good but was fun to make........... did anyone smoke cinammon sticks, my cousin and I did and our Grandma used to chase us when we did laugh.gif
jakka13
Ems ,I remember smoking Cinnamon sticks ,and they say pot is bad for you laugh.gif .I also remember making sugarolly water .You put the liquorice roots in a bottle of water and put it under the bed and every day you had to take it out and shake it up .We would keep tasting it to see if it was ready and by the time it was, there was hardly any left laugh.gif
stuarty
a used to smoke cinnamon sticks and sugarolly and a never could leave it until it was ready oh remember the smell fae the sicks minging or what and the sweets were merrells rolls is that the name of them still no photies and still stumped laugh.gif
Java
Somebody mentioned cremola foam in another thread an my wee mind went straight tae coconut tobacco....ah'd forgoat aw aboot it....
stuarty
oh javamol a know where a can still get that a place in rye and its ye olde sweet shop a bought that and lemonade powder to dip my finger in to make it niccotine looking oh what a nutter a was even then and tomthumb drops lots of them but it was 1pound thirty five for 100grams exstortion but yummy if you want somthing bad enough you pay the price it was loverly honest oh ceamola foam ie bicarbonate of soda with frut flavourings laugh.gif
lindamac
biggrin.gif I Laughed cos atween Java & Angela chick yeev baith mentioned mines huvin said that these wurrney oot furr long but I loved thum AZTEC Bar ? Also loved Topics & the mental adds they had haha laugh.gif likewise I hated eating the talcum gums yuki.Loved Parmas lovehearts swizzles the pototi n the baccy anawe jings am away back in time awaiting the cue tae Mcqueens sweetie shop in springburn rd yumyum,Toffee crisp but no coffee wan . sherbet dippers ocht am startit noo oddfellas n marshmallows yummy Iam gone tae get my marshmallows the noo hahaha I also Have some Musk sticks tae yummi.
Avril
biggrin.gif Hey Stuarty, Creamola Foam...yummy!! My kids loved it, we couldn't get it down here so whenever we went home we brought back a few tins. Oh an' I love Rye, fabulous we old worldy place! biggrin.gif
sumac
Aye, good old Creamola Foam! My mum and dad went to the Modern Homes Show at Kelvin Hall, round about 1961?, and they brought back a wee Hovis loaf, unsliced, and a tin of Creamola Foam, along with a fish supper from our chippy. I ate every bit of bread and chips that I got, and then washed it down with a big glass of Creamola. I was up all night, throwing up, and to this day the sight or smell of it turns my stomach. I CAN STILL TASTE IT!!!!! sad.gif
Avril
What about 'Lucky Bags'? Oh the excitement of tearing open the bag to see what goodies were inside, and hoping that it was a sparkly ring laugh.gif laugh.gif
toerag
Came back from Glasgow March 9th John brought back 14 bags Oddfellows not a one left!!!!!!!!!!!!!No wonder they charged us for extra baggaage!! You get them in a wee sweetie shop in the forge at Parkhead, its the second place he goes to...after the Barras!!
penny dainty
Does anyone mind the Milk Maid tablet and coconut ice bars, oh and the fudge bars too , I think Lees made them and sports mixtures , I loved the black ones.
There was a Kings sweetie shop in Wishaw and it was floor to ceiling of jars of Kings sweets, oh man I was in heaven, was a few years ago now , but I mind it still.Not forgetting McGowans Penny Dainties.
Murdo
I remember Merrols, they were one of my favorites. My grandparents lived in Anniesland and I have a memory of a factory not far from there that smelled just like Merrols. I think it was near the bus garage. They used to tell me they were made there. Can't remember the name of the company. Can anyone tell me if my memory is accurate?
lindamac
laugh.gif Noo Penny yurr getting tae me noo hen cos I adored Milkmaid bars & the pink coconut ice bars tae,yeev gone and driven me krazy noo cos a loved yoan types o sweeties,Straven toffee which was merr like a tablet than toffee.Aye Ma daintys & Tablet tae OMG ma mooths waterin tongue.gif annawe
penny dainty
Can you still get soor plooms, green balls that drew yer cheeks, I loved them , Ross's were the best.
lindamac
laugh.gif laugh.gif HOW COME YER ALWAYS FOUND IN THE GRUB & THE SWEETIES DEAR DAINTY? HAHAHA YE LIKE YER WEE TREATS DAINT YE HEN,HAHA WITH A NAME LIKE PENNYDAINTY i OUGHT NOT BE SPRIZED EH HAHA MA GRANNY USED TAE GIE US MONEY TO GO GET HER A QUARTER OF SOORPLOOMS & SHED GIVE US OOR AIN QUARTER COS SHE DIDNEY LIKE TAE SHARE HERS COS THEY WERE HER WEE TREAT THEM OR CANY BALLS WHICH WERE TRIANGLE HAHA NEVER UNDERSTOOD THAT HOW THE WERE CAWED BAWS WEN TRIANGULAR HAHA.CHEERS MA SWEET PAL PD
penny dainty
Hee hee luv ma sweeties tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Avril
QUOTE (Murdo @ 23rd Mar 2007, 12:14 PM) *
I remember Merrols, they were one of my favorites. My grandparents lived in Anniesland and I have a memory of a factory not far from there that smelled just like Merrols. I think it was near the bus garage. They used to tell me they were made there. Can't remember the name of the company. Can anyone tell me if my memory is accurate?

Hi Murdo, It was Birrell's sweetie factory, next to the Corporation Bus Garage on Gt. Western Road. My sister-in-law worked there when my husband was young (he was the baby of the family) and he said it was great because his big sister used to bring home bags of rejects! tongue.gif laugh.gif
keelie gal
I used to love cremola foam when i was young i can still smell it now ,java thanks for the memory of the coconut tobacco biggrin.gif i used to love golden cup choccie bars and sherbit pips shame they disapeared from the shops oh can anyone remember nutty bars?
keelie gal
remember frys five centers and mackintosh mint cracknell anyone ?
lindamac
unsure.gif mint cracknell omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! am greetin here stoap it you lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wub.gif

a quicki mint yuletide log= chopped mintcracknell bars sprinkelt oer the tappa a chocolate swiss roll already basted in fresh cream then smothered in meltit chocolate & decorated with more smashed mint cracknel voila minty yultide log furr xmas dessert ye cin dae it with chocolate cream biscuits tae omg supayum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
penny dainty
can you still buy Cremola Foam , havent seen it for years/
wee sammy
I remember Cremola Foam it used to come in a wee can you would get a tea spoon and cup of water and stir it around there was different flavours as well smile.gif
stuarty
heres creamola foam a posted this up a few pages ago enjoy
stuarty
soor plooms sherbet pips and sherbet fountains woosh
stuarty
oh a found merrolls rolls yippeeeeeeeee
stuarty
QUOTE (georgia @ 29th Mar 2007, 07:32 AM) *
Hi Murdo, It was Birrell's sweetie factory, next to the Corporation Bus Garage on Gt. Western Road. My sister-in-law worked there when my husband was young (he was the baby of the family) and he said it was great because his big sister used to bring home bags of rejects! tongue.gif laugh.gif

duncans of edinburgh made them merrols look down a found a packet yummy
penny dainty
Thanks for that wee tin of Cremola Foam Stuarty , can you still buy it in the shops though?
Melody
Stuarty ah'll love ye forever for that Merrolls ad. I was starting to think I'd imagined them. I'm going to write to that company and ask them to make them again, by popular demand! Well there's jist me really. Thank you a million times.
penny dainty
I must have been asleep when they dished out Merolls , canny mind them at all
Melody
I saw Whoppers and MB bars in a shop in Luss yesterday. I was dying to buy them but ah felt a bit daft. laugh.gif
Lennox
QUOTE (Melody @ 11th Aug 2007, 01:39 PM) *
I saw Whoppers and MB bars in a shop in Luss yesterday. I was dying to buy them but ah felt a bit daft. laugh.gif

Not at all , we're daft all the time laugh.gif
I'd have bought them if I'd been with you..
angel
melody, that was lovely to see Luss yesterday, although you should have been a devil and bought those candies........ tongue.gif
Melody
Ah know Angel, I wish ah had now! sad.gif I might go back and get them. laugh.gif
angel
that's the spirit Melody, get me and Lennox some as well.. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.