Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: J. & S. Sternstein Photographers Glasgow
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Questions about Glasgow
Oor Wullie
Could anybody living in the Glasgow Area look up the Yellow Pages and see if there is a listing for a photographic studio called " J.& S. . Sternstein" ?

I can't find one on the net.
GG
Hi Oor Wullie,

I found the following at another website and, given this information, and the fact that a Sternstein is not listed in the Glasgow directories as a photographer, I think that establishment is no longer active.

Mr Sternstein's Photos...

In June 2001, we had a letter from Allen Sternstein, whose father photographed and processed all the class photos from the 1940s to the 1970s, produced by the "J. & S. Sternstein" company in Glasgow. The company was founded by his great-grandfather, Jachiel Sternstein, and his grandfather Sigmund, from Hamburg.

Allen had found our web site while searching the Internet for references to the name "Sternstein". He'd looked at our photo from Stuart Tod in 1969, but we also have Jimmy Brown's photo from 20 years earlier, showing the Sternstein name, and most other class photos we've had from Former Pupils were taken by the company.

"Your students and staff may be interested to know that the photo would have sold for two shillings and six pence (12.5p) in 1969 and was manufactured using the same production and finishing methods that my grandfather used in the early 20th Century.

"The camera he used at that time was a wooden camera with bellows and a wooden tripod - the film was mounted in a wooden casette and he would have had a black heavy cloth over the back of the camera, under which he would have removed a cover to expose the film to make the picture.

"Shortly after the photo was taken, my father updated the product range to include colour photography. This change was substantial, as it heralded the end of the company's manufacturing and finishing operation after nearly 100 years of photo artistry. I can well remember my father agonising over the rise price from 2/6d to 7/6p (37.5p)!

"Many schools across the central belt and south of Scotland have photographs by J & S Sternstein and have displays on show in local museums. The business began in 1873 and actually established itself during the first World War when soldiers visited the studio to have their photo taken before going off to war.

"During the second World War, there were severe restrictions on the availability of photographic materials for civil use, so the business could not continue until the war ended.

"The letters in the company name (J & S) stood for Jachiel and Sigmund, the names of my great-grandfather and grandfather. They came to Scotland in the mid 1800's from Hamburg and settled in Glasgow.

"Well, I hope the information above will be of some interest and I wish you all success in your Web activities."

Your editor wrote back to Allen, saying that he too remembered having class photos taken by Sternstein in Glasgow, and still had the photos. Like many of the Holmston Former Pupils' photographs, the quality of the pictures is very good, even when copied and compressed for fast downloads over the Internet.

Allen replied -

"Yes. It would have been my father that took your photo in the 50's and 60's. It is quite amazing how many people from their 40's onwards still have photos in good condition.

"In the 30's my grandfather was made an associate of the Royal Photographic Society (a rare honour for a Scotsman) for his photographic skills and work quality. There were only a few people given that award in the country.

"I still actually have the article from the newspaper and the certificate. He was a photo artist and the quality was built to last. They did make photographs to last 100 years in those days - but of course they had to wait 100 years to prove the point!

"He also was commissioned to photograph the Rennie Mackintosh Glasgow Art College and I still have the portfolio. I also have sepia-tone (the brown colour photos) school group photos taken from 1879 and they are still in excellent condition - it is some of these that are in the museum in Biggar.

"During the First War, and on active service, he took his camera to the battlefields and I still have the photos and the negatives."

http://www.hz06.dial.pipex.com/issue36/i36s7stern1.html

GG.
Guest_Oor Wullie
Many thanks to GG for a prompt and informative reply.

Could the service on this site be any better ?

If it could I don't see how.
Oor Wullie
Many thanks to GG for a prompt and informative reply.

Could the service on this site be any better ?.

If it could I don't see how
asternstein
The J & S Sternstein Scholastic Photgraphers business ceased when my father Jack Sternstein died in 1974. What remains throughout Scotland are a vast number of school photgraphs people have kept over the years and museums have on display. The business started in the 1860s or the early 1870s. The photos were known for their high quality; many sepia and black & white have lasted over 100 years and have still not faded or discoloured. If you want to contact me with your enquiry you can reach me at asternstein@hotmail.com

Allen Sternstein
MAR1NER03
Dear GG
I have read with interest your reply regarding J & S and their involvement over a long time with all things photographic.
My question is as follows:- I collect topographical postcards of my home village in east Lincolnshire. Amongst my collection I have several cards, real photographic, sepia, possibly mid 1930s, well composed views. Some of these are denoted on the front as J S followed by a four digit serial number whilst the others which are of a very similar overall appearance are marked J & S followed by a four digit serial number. The reverse offers no clues as to the publisher.
I am I right in thinking these postcards might have been produced by Messrs Sternstein or am I completely adrift with this assumption ? Any form of reply would be much appreciated.

Chris, Cornwall UK
Allen Sternstein
I am not aware of my grandfather producing postcards, but maybe he did! Interested in seeing a sample to see if I can recognise anything that might link the item with what I remember.
Chris *
Allen,
Thank you for your reply. I think I have solved the mystery. It would seem that my J & S postcards are actually Messrs Jarrolds from Norwich. Thank you once again.
Chris
Alexj
With regards to the school photographs taken in the 1960's is their such a thing as a catalogue were these photo's can be viewed with the option to purchase.
possilboy
hrer is two of the firms photos one at saracen school the other at possil school
tombro
THis one is of my Primary 5 class at St Sixtus' School, Drumchapel in 1959.

Click to view attachment

As you can see on the bottom, it is a Sternstein photograph.

Tombro smile.gif
stratson
Tombro>>>>where are you in photo? huh.gif
tombro
Stratson,

I'm the wee guy at the right hand end of the top row !

I sent that pic to the old 'oorDrum' site just before it closed down. I could remember the names of thirty-six of the forty-four kids in the photo.

Love to know where any of them are now !

Tombro smile.gif
stratson
Like your wee bow tie, your Mammy kept you nice.

Would be nice if the others got in touch with you.

Is amazing who sees those photos and recognise themselves or kin.

Not long until your holiday. Have a nice time. smile.gif
Graham Vincent
I am in possession of a photograph by "J. Sternstein, Photographic Artist - Specially for Groups - 364 St George's Road, Glasgow", of a school group including my grandfather, Henry Canning, taken circa 1895. The printed rear of the card bears the further inscriptions "This picture can be enlarged to any size and finished in oil or water colours. Copies may be had, all negatives being kept".
beekay1943
I came across this old photo of my fathers (taken by J & S Sternstein around 1932) but I'm not sure which school he attended. My father is second from the right in the back row and, at that time, would have been residing at 1035 Dumbarton Road, Whiteinch, Glasgow W4. Can anyone recognise the school from this photo or suggest the school he might have attended?

patsy
It would be great if it was possiable to buy some of the school photos. There was five in our family with everyone having there school photos taken, but alas I don't know what happend to them..They would have been taken in the forties, does anybody know if they will be in an archives somewhere? and possiably be able to buy them.
Stillroom
It could have been Balshagary avenue School,
Insessewrendy
Im in Orlando, Florida. And as I am told my family is from Ayrshire, and as Glasgow is just a wee bit up the road from there, and as I have a hankering to pilgrimage to the Motherland ...

In any case, thanks ahead of time for the info here on the area.
possilboy
saracen school possil
kenb
Ken's class photo
kenb
QUOTE (kenb @ 13th Dec 2011, 04:15pm) *
Ken's class photo
LOCHGOIN PRIMARY SCHOOL APPROX 1969 DRUMCHAPEL PHOTO BY J&S STERNSTEIN
kenb
HATS ME 5 IN FROM LEFT TOP I CAN NAME 99% OF THE CLASS THEY ARE ALL 53YEARS OLD APPROX IT WAS "THE BEST WEE SCHOOL EVER" wub.gif tongue.gif
kenb
Click to view attachment
didnt work
barbara mcdonagh
St Joseph's Primary School Cowcaddens about 1953/4 taken in the playground of the wee schoolClick to view attachment
barbara mcdonagh
St Columba's School Maryhill taken about 1955/56
Heather
Barbara I recognised you in the 1st picture you are in the 2nd row 2nd from the left.

In the 2nd picture you are in the very front, on the right. laugh.gif
barbara mcdonagh
QUOTE (Heather @ 14th Dec 2011, 08:31pm) *
Barbara I recognised you in the 1st picture you are in the 2nd row 2nd from the left.

In the 2nd picture you are in the very front, on the right. laugh.gif

Heather,you are right on both photo's must be the good family genes showing,what about putting one of yours in
Heather
Barbara I think you will know all these young ladies. wink.gif

The g'son and me in New York two years ago.

The three g'children. David, Megan & Emma at Megan's Confirmation.
kenb
GREAT PICS HEATHER GGB`S AT ITS BEST tongue.gif REUNITED!
barbara mcdonagh
Heather,great photo of the five sisters sadly three have passed on, one is not so good and the lady in pink is doing very well,nice to see your grandchildren,it's a shame the wee one looks like you,but she could grow out of it,only you could ask a New York cop for his hat,I bet he loved your accent
Heather
Barbara I did not ask for his hat, honest. We were walking by and Jessie said she would take a picture of us with the Cops. I said " no " and walked on, then one of the cops called out, " Barbara get back here " pulled me towards him and put the hat on my head. laugh.gif

He must have heard Jessie say my name.

It's funny you say Emma looks like me, others have said the same, but I don't see it except for the space we both have in our two front teeth.
Erin has the same space.

Emma has black hair like her dad and Megan has her dad and g'dads brown eye's.
It's funny how genes run through a family as Megan looks like one of our Davie's girls, the one who is the MSP.
Elaine Angell
QUOTE (Alexj @ 23rd Jul 2009, 06:25pm) *
With regards to the school photographs taken in the 1960's is their such a thing as a catalogue were these photo's can be viewed with the option to purchase.

*Elaine*
QUOTE (patsy @ 14th Apr 2010, 02:13pm) *
It would be great if it was possiable to buy some of the school photos. There was five in our family with everyone having there school photos taken, but alas I don't know what happend to them..They would have been taken in the forties, does anybody know if they will be in an archives somewhere? and possiably be able to buy them.

Sorry Patsy - afraid not. I am the sister of Allen Sternstein whose name appears earlier. Our father Jack (long deceased) was the last of the school photographers in the business started by our great-grandfather Yechiel (Julius) in 1873 in Germany (active in Glasgow from around 1883) and continued in Glasgow by our grandfather Sigmund (born not in Hamburg as previously stated but in Glasgow in 1895) and father until 1973. Perhaps more and more people will put digital copies of their photos on this site and in that way there may be a chance of spotting your family members. I do hope so as it would be nice for you.... Good luck.
kenb
hi i missed the [ost by elaine the daughter o f mr sternstein i wonder if she is still around or if anyone may know her i would love to ask her if she knows of any way to get old pics done by her family they would have kept copies. if not it would be good if we the ggb s could start a library of these important school pics there are loads on here already cmon people we can do it
alison mcminn
QUOTE (kenb @ 24th Sep 2012, 02:09pm) *
hi i missed the [ost by elaine the daughter o f mr sternstein i wonder if she is still around or if anyone may know her i would love to ask her if she knows of any way to get old pics done by her family they would have kept copies. if not it would be good if we the ggb s could start a library of these important school pics there are loads on here already cmon people we can do it

Hi do you know if there are any school photos from Langcraigs primary school in Paisley from 1964/1967?
possilboy
here are some in those years if you go to friends reunited they plenty on there alison
possilboy
another
Billy Boil
This post prompted me to take another look at my school photos from St. Anthony's Govan and St Gerard's also of that esteemed city.

They were all Sternstein. Nice to be part of history.
kenb
does any body still have school class pic s by j&s sternstein looking for lochgoin and waverley schools from drumchapel

does any body still have school class pic s by j&s sternstein looking for lochgoin and waverley schools from drumchapel
Billy Boil
QUOTE (kenb @ 26th Jun 2017, 03:25am) *

I still have three or four but they are St. Anthony's and St.Gerard's. Both of The Peoples Republic of Govan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.