Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steak Pies
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Food and Drink
Rab-oldname
Not them miniscule things you get in the supermarket. I mean the kind we used to get from the butchers in big enamel dishes (ashets we called them). They were filled with steak, ox kidney, chopped sausages and a gravy to die for, topped with delicious puff pastry. What a feast!. biggrin.gif
keelie gal
ashet pies eh i love em i still cook ma pies in an ashet dish ochh ye joost canny beat it i have tried to cook my pies in other pie dishes but i always go back to the ashet fer they never taste as good wink.gif
Elma
I still make my steak and kidney pies in one of these enamel dishes. I have had mine since 1963 when we were living in Pollokshields. tongue.gif Actually I acquired this ashet from the butchers where we used to sometimes buy the pies. the dishes were supposed to be returned but I guess I stole mine from Menzies the Butcher on Albert Drive. I don't think it's there any more, I wonder if they missed it!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif
lindamac
My Faimly Always Met At oor maws On Nerday , Every year she Served Ashet Steak Pie wi mash totties Gravy & Peas BreadNButter Pudding Tae follow,Then we ate the Rest o the Madera&Cherry Cacke wi a Mug o Tea afore we Went Hame.She Still Does It Today,Buyt a miss oot cos am away sad.gif wub.gif
Java
QUOTE (ems @ 19th Oct 2006, 11:20 PM)
I still make my steak and kidney pies in one of these enamel dishes. I have had mine since 1963 when we were living in Pollokshields. tongue.gif Actually I acquired this ashet from the butchers where we used to sometimes buy the pies. the dishes were supposed to be returned but I guess I stole mine from Menzies the Butcher on Albert Drive. I don't think it's there any more, I wonder if they missed it!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

Ems ah remember a story in the paper wance.....'Local Butcher Goes Oota Business cos He Canny find his Ashet'........

Ah think my favourite dinner is Ashet Pie, mashed patotties and garden peas....canny take processed peas for some reason....
jaybee
We can't find a good ashet here in Canada so a couple of years ago I bought one in a wee ironmongers in Paisley. I know make my steak pies in Canada with the proper ashet. Only thing wrong is I bought a big one and it costs a fortune to make sure it is full enough with stew so that the puff pastry doesn't collapse in the centre. Jaybee
Avril
A meal for every occasion:

NEW YEAR
WEDDINGS
BIRTHDAYS
FUNERALS

STARTERS

Scotch Broth (with peas and barley)

MAIN MEAL

(Ashet) Steak Pie with Peas and Potatoes (mashed)

DESSERT

Ice cream, with a Lees Snowball & and Rasberry Sauce
(My husband calls this a Drumchapel Special drizzled in Monkeys Blood!)
Elma
jaybee we always put an upturned egg cup in the middle of the ashet to keep the pastry up, it usually worked!!.......... smile.gif
George Muir
Here is the pie funnel that Jane used to put in the middle of her steak pies. I suppose it also helped to support the pastry.
stuarty
oh steak pie 3times out ofl j luptons and i cant have another until scotland next time a go what a nightmare but enjoyable with great people my grannie had a wee bird that used to let the steam out and a left it in one of my work places what a loss my own fault entierly and just as a wee reminder to get the mooth watering
sumac
George, see that wee elephant pie funnel? I've still got mine! It was my husband's granny's - that must make it about about 70 years old, maybe more! And do you know, itis pure, dead, brilliant still! rolleyes.gif
MMJ
Yumm, but can anybody give us a proper recipe for Ashet Pie???
(yer dealin wi the domestically-challenged here!!) hehe
jakka13
I always make my pie in the ashet but sometimes if I'm having all the family here I have to go to a big tinfoil pan .I had them all here the Saturday before Christmas .My pie had four kilos of stew .1and a 1/2 pound of links .Plus all the gravy and puff paste .I thought there might have been enough left over to freeze for the two of us for Ney Years but they ate every last bite followed by apple crumble and ice cream .Jist as well they don't all come together once a month laugh.gif
George Muir
Hi Sumac, I just noticed your posting re the elephant pie funnel tonight. Wow is it that auld, Jane must have brought it from Glasgow when we moved here in 1968, it's no been used in a few years, but still as shiny as ever. I should dig it oot the spoon drawer and display it in the china cabinet as an ornament. tongue.gif
sumac
Gaun yersel, George!
I'm only guessing at the age of the pie funnel, but I think it probably is that old. Mine is displayed in my kitchen dresser but still used any time I make a pie. I love my wee elephant.
On Ne'erday, we have our daughter's boyfriend coming so I cheated and ordered our steak pie from our local butcher. It's a huge pie which we collected today, and everybody is looking forward to eating it! Our butcher makes a gorgeous steak pie with only the best beef and pastry, so it's delicious. tongue.gif
Won't be long now!!!
jakka13
A wee tip I got from my Daddy (he was a chef ) when I asked him what the difference was when I made steak pie and the one I bought from the butcher's .You add a little nutmeg !!!!Mind you only need a quarter to a half a teaspoon full depending on the size of the pie .The one I just made looked like Desperate Dan's Cow Pie .It was huge ,but when you consider my smallest grand child is five foot eleven ,and she's the girl ,you know how many big men I fed laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.