Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stewed Sausages
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Food and Drink
poppygirl
Anybody know how to make stewed sausages. Made them years ago and think I boiled them lightly till the skins came off then added OXO cube, I think? happy.gif
marina
i prefer sqaure sausage stewed, but i just put the sausages into boiled water some onions, carrots and some oxo granules and maybe if i have any a wee glass of red wine or guiness mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Avril
Oh stoap it, yer makin' me hungry you two talkin' aboot stewed sausages...ah huvnae hud them fur years but ye've just made ma mind up fur me, a brooght back a couple o' lorne's from Glasgow at the weekend an' am gaun tae the freezer noo tae defrost some fur ramorra nights tea....ah cannae wait, ma mooths waatering' thinkin' aboot stewed sausages wi' mashed totties...mibee we could dae some in oor cyber pub tae, they'd go doon a bundle! biggrin.gif
Avril
Hey Poppygirl, Huv ye made yer stewed sausages yit?
poppygirl
Naw Georgia no yet. Goat frozen links frae Iceland. Hope they work just as well. Will let you know when I make them, hopefully the morra. wink.gif
Avril
Ye didnae huv tae go a' the wey tae Iceland fur links hen, ye cin get thim in Glesga rolleyes.gif
poppygirl
Georgia, gave me a right laugh at that wan. laugh.gif
lindamac
G`Day poppygirl, ma mammy hid a wee secret tae boot up her stewed sausages,a fed ma faimly them only yesterday & they wolf em doon,Bring water tae boil,add an oxo & yer carrotts &onions steer them Whilst adding jist a wee cheap brand o packet dry powdered soup called french onion,leave tae simmer oan lowered heat fur half an hour woila excellent sasage hotpot wi a boot! biggrin.gif smile.gif YUM!!!!
Elma
I'd never heard of stewing sausages but they sound good, I'll give them a try.

Linda, I often put french onion soup mix into my stews or soups, gives them a wee bit different flavour.
wee mags
when I took my youngest children to Scotland in 1989 my sister -in law said what do miss the most Margaret? stewed sausages says the wee yin so that night I got my wish and they were great even my children loved them they also loved the fish suppers fae doon the road off they would go with ma two nieces tae the fishiey on St Vincent St wink.gif
Rab-oldname
It has always amused me as an ex-butcher that people have a preference for one type of sausage defined by shape - round, square or links. They are all made from the same mixture. rolleyes.gif
stuarty
stewed sausages on the way laugh.gif
Catherine
Oh see stewed sausages jist wid gie me the bolk guys laugh.gif

Ah prefer the sqwerr masel, nae gristle cos yons anither thing that gies me the bolk......that an Barley.......oh the very mention laugh.gif
stratson
I hope all who stew sausages after u bring to boil,

take sausages out,

When the liqid cools refrigerate and you will see a layer layer of

solid fat.

Hope you remove this and no clog aw yer families arteries.

Jist a wee tip. rolleyes.gif

Then add aw yer veg and onions and further flavourings to taste.
Tori G
Thats no how ya make porridge Stuarty ha ha only joking thats a line out of a advert here in Australia ha ha. Stuarty my mammy makes different style of link stew to that in the picture, infact she actually had it on sunday to eat when we were visiting, Julian loves it but ahm no so much into links unless there BBQ'd and like Rab said there all made from the same stuff, though I must admit like Catherine (yo how is ya hen) i prefer square sausages any day to any link as they definately taste different and I too hate the grissel yuk. Tammy my mum prepares hers just like Lindamac's...just experiment with ingredients till you get what suits. Stratson too right about the solid fat when its refridgerated . ohmy.gif smile.gif
lindamac
smile.gif Theres a way to remove fat prior to cooking them in the stew, Iam sorry as I thought everyone did this as prep, My mum taught me to dry fry the fork pierced links in a non stick fry pan. This removes all the surface fat before they enter the stew, I extend my sausages with some pre browned diced steak as well folks. haha I have never seen fat layers on top of my stewed sausage before haha sorry I don`t mean it is not possible I just meant that the browning part removes it . cheers & happy cooking haha experimenting as Tori says is good, the Italians do it with their tomatoe sauce. biggrin.gif
Avril
I boil the sausages and simmer for 5 minutes first, all the fat comes out in the water, I drain the sausages, throw away the greasy water then make the stew with carrot, swede and onions in gravy. biggrin.gif

I follow your idea stratson when making soup, I boil the stock the night before and leave it over night. In the morning I skim the fat off from the top before adding the veggies etc.....delicious!!! tongue.gif
lindamac
wub.gif yummy
Rab-oldname
I have never eaten 'stewed sausages' I admit, but the thought makes me shudder!. Why should you want to stew something that was designed and made to be fried or maybe baked as in toad-in-the-hole?. I suppose its the Weegie effect on high cuisine that led to the battered Mars Bar!.
Avril
Ye don't know whit yer missin' Rab!!! tongue.gif wub.gif
stratson
Georgia, I do exactly the same as you when making my stock smile.gif

The thought of any fat in my food abhors me,

Feel like it's murder to give anyone food not properly prepared.

After all, we want healthy lives.

I love stewed sausage, another thing I do,(my son's favourite)

When steaming shredded cabbage mix grated carrot through it,

Not only looks nice,,,,,,,tastes delicious. laugh.gif
Avril
Stratson, do you remember the days when they thought that the fat was good for you? My husband tells of when his dad used to pour the fat in the frying pan from the square sausages over his mashed potatoes, saying 'it's good for you!' He died in the mid 60's of a heart attack at the age of 54, but we didn't really know then what we know now...eating habits have changed completely over the last 15 or so years...thank goodness!! smile.gif wub.gif
Elma
I love cabbage whether cooked or raw in coleslaw, but I'm with Rab I had never heard of stewed sausage and I don't fancy it, I always thought sausage was meant to be fried or grilled which I enjoy with eggs, bacon, potato scones and maybe a mushroom or two..........mmmmmm..... smile.gif
sumac
Guess what we had last night for dinner? Stewed sausages! I make it with sliced onion, carrots and turnip, and I make mashed potatoes so I can mash the potatoes into the gravy on my plate! Delicious!!! tongue.gif
stuarty
QUOTE (ems @ 8th Nov 2006, 03:46 AM)
I love cabbage whether cooked or raw in coleslaw, but I'm with Rab I had never heard of stewed sausage and I don't fancy it, I always thought sausage was meant to be fried or grilled which I enjoy with eggs, bacon, potato scones and maybe a mushroom or two..........mmmmmm..... smile.gif

is this what you meant about sausages and stuff laugh.gif
Elma
Yes, thank you stuarty, I can even smell that plateful....... smile.gif wub.gif
rossmckenzie
Had stewed sausages once.......ah yuk,gravy and onions and the sausages were slimy and had elastic skins on them...totally disgusting!
I love a really good lorne sausage,maybe with herbs and served on a well fired roll..some mustard and ketchup or an awsome cumberland but never ,ever stewed.

brekkies but i hate black pudding and beans and fried bread and am no daft on mushrooms
marina
if i make a fry i put the beans in a seperate dish cos james hates his beans near his egg, see men i dont know

i love sqaure sausage stewed, but sometimes if im making stew ill stick a few links in for the weans, i cannae believe youve never heard of stewed sausages georgia lol biggrin.gif
Avril
Hey Marina hen, ye're picking oan the wrang wan...ah never said that ah'd never heard o' stewed sausages....ah even gave away ma recipe secret in post 17.....ah lov thim!!! biggrin.gif

Men ur funny int they? Mines the same , he says, 'pit ma beans oan a seperate plate, ah don't waant thim near ma egg!' wub.gif
marina
oops! sorry georgia unsure.gif

must have been rab a wiz thinkin oan

please accept ma humble apologies xxxx

ive just checked back and it was ems sho said theyd never heard of them lmao
lindamac
Here another family winter favourite, Stewed gigot o lamb chops wi turnip,carrotts onions etc served wi mash supa yum!(grated turnip as well as diced intae the stew).served with mashed turnip or minted peas/ peppered cabbage. tongue.gif smile.gif
bonnie22
Hi there everyone.I was interested in your Stewed Sausages,as I cook them now even in Australia. I cook them in with topside mince,carrots & onions.They are delicious and served with mashed totties and cabage-YUM- M The others in the family don't know how to cook this dish and they often ask me to make it for them. My mum used to make this dish all the time for us kids in Glasgow as it was a cheap meal to make a went further. Not many here have heard of this meal let alone willing ta try it.I especially love it and it brings back a few memories.
Bonnie

Perth - Australia
bonnie22
Hi there everyone.I was interested in your Stewed Sausages,as I cook them now even in Australia. I cook them in with topside mince,carrots & onions.They are delicious and served with mashed totties and cabage-YUM- M The others in the family don't know how to cook this dish and they often ask me to make it for them. My mum used to make this dish all the time for us kids in Glasgow as it was a cheap meal to make a went further. Not many here have heard of this meal let alone willing ta try it.I especially love it and it brings back a few memories.
Bonnie

Perth - Australia
angel
..I like the flavour they give to a beef stew and they are really good in your steak pies biggrin.gif
jaybee
I put them in steak pie here too but boy do I miss the good Scottish links. Stuff I buy here is awful.
Danny Brown
With the stewed sausage, thats no fat yer throwing away it aw the flavour too.
Purplefan
Are stewed sausages anything like stovies?
Guvinjimm
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 9th May 2013, 04:56am) *
Are stewed sausages anything like stovies?

A dont mean this tea be funny an' I dont remember whit stovies are, but when a' wis phoning international tae find oot how my mither wis doing in hospital I distinctly heard the atterndant askin' if she wanted stovies ta eat fur tea. She said awright an' she died the next day.
Whitever stovies are avoid them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.