Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glasgow Residential Schools
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Lennox
While talking on another thread this subject came up and you know how we are, it got us thinking....( Don't say a word)
Anyway I went to a residential school someplace in Perthshire for 6 weeks , it was a big place set in the middle of nowhere , or it seemed like it at the time.
I remember crying the first night and the next few nights after that. but as we got to see new things I liked it, some of the time.
Now as Java said to me they were such a big part of the school system when we were young I am sure I was not the only one who went to one, so come on share your stories, be they good or be they bad.
Oh before I forget someone please tell me the nameof the place that I went to. wub.gif
Riddrieperson
QUOTE (Lennox @ 16th Oct 2006, 11:06 PM)
While talking on another thread this subject came up and you know how we are, it  got us thinking....( Don't say a word)
Anyway I went to a residential school someplace in Perthshire for 6 weeks , it was a big place set in the middle of nowhere , or it seemed like it at the time.
I remember crying the first night  and the next few nights after that. but as we got to see new things I liked it, some of the time.
Now as Java said to me they were such a big part of the school system when we were young I am sure I was not the only one who went to one, so come on share your stories, be they good or be they bad.
Oh before I forget someone please tell me the nameof the place that I went to. wub.gif

Would that school have been in a village called Alyth by any chance,I don`t remember it`s name ,but I do know my brother-in-law(who is mentally handicapped) used to go there(Alyth) for a fortnight every year.It was for non-handicapped children as well.The building is still there but is now run a hotel by a couple from England.It is now called "The lands of Loyal"
Lennox
Kenny, It is possible that was the name . Later I will have to do a search on it to maybe get a photo, that might help
Thanks for the info biggrin.gif
Riddrieperson

Lennox this is the centre of Alyth.The road to the right of Alyth Burn takes you up to where the place was situated,still there of course but in the guise of a hotel. biggrin.gif
Java
Can't believe this topic hasn't been covered before'

'Resi' holds so many memories for me, good and bad. My mum was a single parent to seven of us, so ah think we went tae give her a break more than anything else. The oldest four went, me being the youngest. Ah'm pretty sure it wis called Fornethy, but whitever ye do, don't google it cos it comes up wi a swingers club'.second thoughts, google if ye want'.

Ah wis pretty traumatised by the fact that only the oldest in the family goat the post and parcels. We'd aw be sittin there in the assembly thing in the morning and they'd call oot the names for those that hud post'..ah thoat ma mammy hud forgotten aw aboot me'didny matter that ma sister tellt me it wis fur everybody'.ah wanted ma ain parcel, ye know'.

It musta been comin oota winter when we were there, cos ah remember hivin tae trudge through the snaw tae see some new born lambs' felt like ah'd traipsed miles....ah wis that cauld ah couldnya cared less aboot the lambs by the time we goat ther'.

Saturday night wis movies and sing song night'.ah couldny tell ye whit movies ah saw, but ah remember the songs'.(apparently they traumatised me annaw, but that's oan anither thread..) We'd aw sit oan the flair, legs crossed, the aulder wans brung the milk an a wee biscuit roon, we'd belt oot The Blackboard of My Heart (don't know if that's whit it's called but that's whit ah remember it as), a wan aboot leaving old Texas now, Sad Movies, (see whit ah mean aboot trauma'..), oh and Yellow Daffodilly in Your Golden Gown'

Ah kin still be transported right back there by certain smells'.powdered toothpaste is wan fur some reason'..

Ah canny remember whether it wis at proper school or resi, but ah remember somedy askin me whit ma daddy did'..ah hudny a clue since ah hudny seen him fur years, but ah didny want tae say that, so fur some reason ah tellt them he wis a clown''.it musta goat right roon the school, cos somehow it goat back tae ma mammy ...she says ah wis right enough'' laugh.gif
Elkay
javamol

Ha Ha Ha.....Bump.................. thats me laughing my head off laugh.gif
I never went to boarding school, thats what my parents threatened us with if we were naughty.

Funny thing about the smells tho isnt it. I had a bad experience with a school camp (or should I say boot camp) when I was about 11 and the smell of cheap Margarine takes me right back there. To this day I cant eat Margarine. sad.gif
keelie gal
haha java thats a good wan telling the other weans yer da was a clown and yer ma agreeing with you laugh.gif
Lennox
Kenny, thanks for the photo, I am not sure that is the place but I will be looking into that .
Java I forgot about getting the post, now all the memories will come flooding back ohmy.gif , not sure how I feel about that! I remember that when it was time to got we (kids) had to go to Bath St and get on a bus to get to the school, and when you came back you went back to Bath St. my granda was late and Ithought Iwas going to have to go back to the school I was terrified wub.gif
Melody
Java you have a brilliant talent for telling a sad yet funny story at the same time. The thought of you sitting crossed legged waiting on yer letter or parcel brought a big lump to my throat, jist like a wean. An who the hell was dreamin' up they particular songs fur weans tae sing? Was yer teachers jilted at the alter or something or were they just crazies? laugh.gif Imagine saying yer Daddy worked as a clown, bet they teachers thought ye were an exotic gypsy travelling person. Magic story. smile.gif
Luceo
Javamol,

Your tale of claiming your father worked as a clown had me laughing out loud - thanks!

Luceo
Catherine
Me too luceo......I've just read this laugh.gif

To have experienced so much 'trauma' Java I have to agree with all the others here and laugh ........at your ability to tell sadness with such great humour, and with a bit of irony thrown in too.

Your mum sounds lovely too, no wonder you're all close.
davyab44
Hi Java...I have to agree with Melody...you have a talent for telling a story of pathos and mixing in a good dollop of humour. I can relate to the situation you describe since I spent a while in a residential school. Having been orphaned at the age of twelve, I ended up in a "boys' home" run by Glasgow Corporation. This was in 1958 and I was sent to Auldhouse on Thornliebank Road in Pollockshaws. I was given a bed for a couple of weeks as the "owner" of the bed was on holiday. When he returned I was shunted off to a Residential School called Nerston at East Kilbride. Not a place I would recommend to man nor beast. We wern't treated badly as such but there was a condescending attitude about the place. One particular item I recall was when we played in the old air-raid shelter. It had rained and the floor was muddy so my long pants got a bit dirty. Well all hell broke loose over this and in front of everyone at the evening meal, the news broke that I wasn't getting any pudding because I had muddied my trousers. There was a sharp intake of collective breath from the five year-olds and up as I sat there totally embarrased and wondering how I was going to get through the meal with all these little eyes staring at this wrongdoer. This is one example of how we were made to feel, in addition to a lot of favouritism. Thankfully, a bed came available in due course at the orphanage and I was thankfully returned to a much more normal way of life.

P.S. You obviously get your wit and humour from your Mammy, Java....Aye he was a clown awright.....jist priceless laugh.gif
jaybee
Java, I have to wonder, perhaps the reason you said that your father was a clown is that you personally love to entertain people and make them laugh. You sure have a talent for that. Jaybee
Catherine
Davy that story breaks my heart.
Forgive my language....rotten power tripping Bas....s!

It's almost as if the Gods themselves are paying you back the best way they can with Shari coming into your life when you least expected it. All the best pet.
Melody
Do you know Davy I believe that there is no greater crime than to humiliate a child like that. Such cruelty, such ignorance. Can I just in my simple way apologize for that horrible human being who treated you in such an inhumane way.

My worst experience of that sort of treatment actually happened whilst I spent almost a year in hospital at the age of seven. In those days they only allowed visitors for one hour on a Sunday. For one reason or another my beloved grandparents arrived on a Wednesday, I think they were just very anxious about my condition and wished to see me urgently. They were allowed about fifteen minutes with me and when they had to go I was very upset and crying. Do you know that the ward sister invited the other children to sit round in a circle and laugh and call me a baby. I've never forgotten that cruelty and may God forgive me I hope these people got what was coming to them.

A child never forgets such cruelty.

Sorry for that wee bit of self indulgence it justs hit a nerve.

Catherine you beat me to it, we are never far away from each other in these matters are we? smile.gif
Catherine
I cannae believe Melody......I nearly put that in my reply about wanting to apologise to Davy for those swines but couldn't find the eloquence you did to explain it properly.
Thanks pet....and yer right we're two wee peas in a pod sometimes sure we are laugh.gif

As for that Hospital Story too.....why did so few get away with so much in those days?
I could poke that Ward Sisters eyes oot the now.

You only have to hope that those responsible for meanness and downright rotten actions towards kids never had their own children.
Imagine that cruelty wrapped up in disguise for some poor unsuspectin weans as their parent.
Melody
There was a lot of that kind of thing went on in those days Catherine, a lot of parents had too much 'respect' or should I say 'fear' of authority and that's how that cruelty flourished. I detest each and every one of those who ever hurt a child in that way or any other.
You wonder at what went on in their head these people how they slept at night.
davyab44
Thank you both...Catherine and Melody. I believe you suffered more Melody since your peers were directly involved....man's inhumanity to man, eh? I believe we've agreed on the GGBB to keep our specific personal beliefs to ourselves, however Melody, I strongly believe that people like that sister you mention will one day be held accountable for her part in your sorrow.
There are days when one almost feels ashamed to be a part of the human race and while we can't be responsible for the actions of others, it makes me realize more and more that it behooves us to do the best that we as individuals can for the betterment of others. Thank you ladies again for your empathy.
These Boards serve to once again reinforce what is good in human nature and while we sometimes agree to disagree (which is each person's right), we tend to help each other, perhaps more than any of us realize. I believe our common national bond and Pro Patria is largely responsible for this. As Heather so aptly puts it "Alba gu Brath" smile.gif

I'm sure I've gone ever so slightly off topic here but feel better for this conversation. Thank you all for your kind patience...Davy
Melody
Davy c'mon tae a gie ye a cuddle ah'm greetin noo and so's my daughter here. mellow.gif
Lennox
I am as well , in my wee corner in Oklahoma, Lets us all have a BIG group hug ,Ready ((((((( tongue.gif ))))))
Davy, don't worry about being off topic. This site brings out the feelings in us all. Be good or bad!!!!
Java
Ah think it’s a true sayin, whit disny kill ye makes ye stronger…..Melody and Davy, ah’m horrified that somebody can say and do these kinds of things tae a wean, and the worst of it is, ah think they know exactly whit they’re doin….

As ah’ve said before, we wurny exactly in Carnegie’s league growin up, no that ah’m poor moothin it, but ma mammy had a hard time. Ye know the kinda thing, last up worst dressed….Ah remember us getting a big bag of clothes given by a wonderful teacher at school, ah’ve no idea where they came from, but we aw sorted through them tae see whit fitted and so on. Ah went tae school wi the loveliest wee black and red jumper oan, thinking ah wis it and another teacher commented in front of the class, ‘Oh I see you managed to find something to fit you in from the charity bag’….ah wis mortified and never wore anything from the bag again. She wis wanny those that couldny see past the fact that some of us didny have the nicely pressed uniform, ribbons in the hair and so on.

Ah got ma own back by workin hard and forcing her to accept that ah might be poor but ah wisny stupid, although ah mind ah wore wellies in the summer wance an tellt everybody the weather forecast wis fur rain…ah wis six...where wis ah gonny hear the weather forecast?..... laugh.gif

Och sure, if ye don’t laugh ye’ll greet eh?... laugh.gif
Melody
Well ah hope that teacher rots in hell Java wi the rest o them.
bloodyscot2
hey guys do you mind the parish claes i know i had the nicest wee suit it fit like a glove and i loved it until one of my classmates told the rest of my class from whence it came.i never wore it againthen in later school days two of the older boys were talking in line the teacher told them to be quiet.he told one of them to report to his room for punishment as he was scottish and should know better.he let the other one off as he was (itilan )and didnt know any better.sure woke me uo to the system .
davyab44
Oh My Java!....how in the name o' the wee man could that teacher say somethin' like that tae ye? Especially in front o' the class. It's like ye had a sign roon yer neck sayin' "I'VE NO FEELINGS"
It goes to show the difference there can be between two people; a kind teacher and a b..........! What gives people the right to talk down to children? Is it because they think the child has no defence or is this their way of taking out their frustrations? Whatever the case Java, I'm glad you showed that witch by your hard work that you weren't stupid and from what I've seen of your wit and humour things haven't changed. Good for you and before I go, I agree with Melody.

Whit a rerr big hug Lennox...we a' need wan o' thae noo 'n' again. wink.gif
Lennox
QUOTE (javamol @ 17th Oct 2006, 01:08 PM)
Ah think it’s a true sayin, whit disny kill ye makes ye stronger….

.  Ah went tae school wi the loveliest wee black and red jumper oan, thinking ah wis it and another teacher commented in front of the class, ‘Oh I see you managed to find something to fit you in from the charity bag’….ah wis mortified and never wore anything from the bag again. 

Och sure, if ye don’t laugh ye’ll greet eh?...

Java, You have a way of bringing back the memories,
I remember someone gave my mum a "bag" I was so happy that I found a dress and I wore it to school .
The Lassie whose clothes they were was also in my class and in front of everyone she says "my mammy said you were as big as me", I wanted to crawl under the desk, neveer again did I wear anything from "bags"
Your posts almost always make me cry ,sometimes with laughter, sometimes with sadness , but always with JOY!! tongue.gif
PS I wonder how big that lassie is now , me I am 127us pounds.
payback is good.
Java
Ye see it jist goes to show ye, cos ah thoat we wur the only wans that goat the bags....there's me thinkin am special again... laugh.gif .......

Lennox, yer spot on...payback is good....even after aw these years... laugh.gif
Lennox
QUOTE (javamol @ 17th Oct 2006, 01:37 PM)
Lennox, yer spot on...payback is good....even after aw these years... laugh.gif

Sometimes, after all this time it's better biggrin.gif
Oh that's another thread!!!!!!!
Lennox
Kenny , I looked at the town of Alyth, I think this might be the place that I went to, I remember it being a big white house. I could be wrong. I also went to a place in Largs that one I do remember it was Inverclyde Rec. Center. another "White House"
stirlingmoss
Hi there.
Does anybody know anything about Dunclutha Home in Dunoon? I think it's in Dunoon. I knew two children who were sent there.
It's a Children's Home.
Luceo
I have no direct knowledge but there is some information on the following link:

Dunclutha

I hope this is helpful.

Luceo
rosie-k
You wonder how some folk in authority can treat wee ones like that, I hope they got their come uppance, I had to laugh at Javamols post when he said his father was a clown, you have a great sense of humour, I remember getting sat on an upturned bin with my back to the class as I was sooking my thumb, this was when I had just started school. mad.gif
Iris
Hi ... my name is Iris ... I've been trying to get information about Fornethy for months and came across your stories of that place. I was eight when I was sent there and I have to say, it was traumatic for me too. I have very vivid memories and we used to sing a song that went ... "there was a horrible place, far far away,where fornethy stands, every single day". It was the place where someone pooed in my bed on my first night and they blamed me for it ... I hope it wasnt anyone out there!!! Then they force fed me porride and made me eat peach blancmanche ... I also remember the little tins of powdered toothpast and we went downstairs to a place to have showers etc. It was scary at night. I also remembered only so many of us were able to go to the local church on the sunday and we had to polish our black shoes till they shone. Also memories come flooding back of writing letters home to mum on a Tuesday but not being able to send one which had "please come and get me" ... only nice letters were to be sent. I was broken hearted, I thought I'd never see mum again. Then there was the long walks early in the morning, the day we got gifts from home ... I remember getting cardboard cut outs of little dollies and their outfits .... such joy. My time there has left a great impact upon me and I want to go back to lay my ghosts to rest ... when I met my mum at Glasgow central station, I let out a shreak .... I couldnt believe I got back home. I remember fornethy as a cruel place ... although one happy memory was of dancing to My Boy Lollipop.

I dont remember anyone from there ... only that I hated it!

Best wishes

Iris

ps it's been good to read your stuff ... any more memories?
Java
Hello Iris, can I ask what year you were at Fornethy?......(definately wisny me wi the bed! laugh.gif )
annie laurie
HI Iris,

Sounds like a good Idea go back and leave the bad memories behind you,
Sounds scarey just to even read what you went through

Keep looking ahead Iris, [dont look back accomplishes nothing to-morrow is a better Day to come }
stuarty
my best pal margaret doc and her family used to go to residential school cause her daddy died in a car crash at the 5apartments in ardencrag road and a few others were killd but a was jelous of her going away for 6weeks as a wanted to go and a used to cry a want to go to the residential scool way ma pal but it was never to be a always felt a missed out on somthing oh java a would have battered that insensitive teacher the charity bag an int it funny noo welove the charity shops to get aww the bargains times have changed thank goodness and this is a magical topic as a get to go although a never went if u get what a mean laugh.gif
Lennox
Trust me Stuarty, you were not missing out on anything. I always felt that I wasn't wanted or I was bad so they sent me away so I'd be good.
Looking at me now I don't think it worked laugh.gif
Java
Ocht ye jist didny go tae the right wan Lennox...ah mean..look at me... laugh.gif
Lennox
Well I thought we went to the same one, but I forgot , You are older right !!!!! tongue.gif , naw that's me .
Melody
Naw it's me. laugh.gif
Lennox
Melody lets, just go with the "You can be any age on here " that works best, I don't like my mirror either... sad.gif
Melody
See it wisnae too bad till ah got ma contact lenses, then things got really upsetting. With them in, a seem tae have wrinkles, but wi them oot ma face is gorgeous and smooth. Very strange that. laugh.gif
Lennox
Melody I am sure your wee face is just lovely even with your contacts in, I can't wear mine any more, so you see I have the same trouble all the time....
Melody
laugh.gif
Java
Yees are clearly buyin the wrang typa mirrors..... laugh.gif

Oh ah jist hudda thoat...Angel dae you use 'wing' mirrors? laugh.gif
Lennox
LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif you are soooo funny
Melody
laugh.gif laugh.gif
Angela Chick
I do indeed java laugh.gif
stuarty
lennox was it you that asked me about tony burton if so he was in the first vertion of assault on precint 13 and he was in one of the rocky movies a big huge fella black guy it was either 1 2 or 3 he was in soory off topic
Java
Oh, residential school - precinct 13....ah kin see a connection....laugh.gif
stuarty
oops sorry laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.