Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Firm
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224
hubert
Oh its getting to feel alot like Christmas!
Celtic go 8 points clear of their old firm rivals Rangers, after Dunfermline beat the Gers 2-0 today.
They both play on the 3rd of Jan 2004, should be as usual a hard fought game! Have to mention Rangers goalie Klos, is better than oor two put the gither, Douglas and Hedman!
Anyhoo canny wait, roll on the 3rd!
Catherine
Here's hopin Klos is related tae Santa Hubert, an he'll be too tired by then tae catch the baw laugh.gif
hubert
Oh Catherine your a trip, so funny, Santa Klos, verygood! LoL
jimmyd
Lets hope he dishes oot some " Gifts " on the 3rd Hubert!!!! biggrin.gif
david lowson
this is where rangers are dangerous Jimmy?
jimmyd
David I personally never underestimate Rangers ,each old firm game is up for grabs.
hubert
I never underestimate Rangers either, even the game being at Celtic Park, and that Celtic are on form, with Rangers in a slump?
In those games the bookies favourites do get beat!
It certainly is a game to look forward to, and I will be at the pub watching it!
PS. Meant to add Celtic are undefeated in their last 66 games at Celtic Park, certainly the auld story of the law of averages might kick in, but I feel good about the 3rd of Jan.
Melody
Oh you lot are makin' me nervous....... ohmy.gif
jimmyd
Naw don't get nervous Melody,lets say that we are quietly confident !! .Can feel it in ma waater biggrin.gif
jimmyd
Just been watching Rangers v Hearts,nothing to write home about,Klos made some good saves.But must say young Chris Burke,was great,lots of running and enthusiasim.The future of the game in Scotland is in safe hands ,as long as these kids get a go.... biggrin.gif
hubert
Well Jimmy not to be negative, but young Maloney at Celtic is not cutting it, and young Kennedy gave away a stupid penalty for nothing against Hibs, so I cant see were you see Scotlands up and coming young, helping much, sorry!
Also once again its a two team race, for the SPL chamionship, or if you like one and half team race, cause just now Rangers are only half the team they were last year! wink.gif
jimmyd
Well Hubert,I must ask you,how are the kids going to improve, if they don't get the time on the park ?. You see I believe youngsters ,will never appreciate thier success ,if they are not allowed to make mistakes.Bit of lateral thinking there Eh !lol.It is a matter of patience on behalf of the punters.It will take a couple of seasons,to wean the young lads.Look at Fergie ,he has always had a core of young players. biggrin.gif
scotslad90
Well is this heaven or hell for ya...........I will be totally unbiased and post all three this week.
hubert
Jimmy by you asking me what you did in your post, gives me the impression that I am not in favour of giving youngsters a chance, this is far from how I think, I am saying they are not cutting the mustard and I am being polite!
I watched Celtic today young Miller has regressed lately, and I am not the only one saying this?
These younsters play in the reserve games and then get training and play in the under 21s along with some first team players, then they get chances at the first team, wish I could explain in words, I dont type well plus to express fully on here is not a verygood medium is that the word?
Anyhoo, even older players go off form, sorry Jimmy theres too much at stake at Celtics level to babysit, sounds hard that but thats the way it is!
No Maloney for example has had a lot of time and chances, if the oppositions has him or any other younster on toast, well that aint good!
Watched young Fletcher a Scot at Man Utd the day, good player but he was screwing up, so on comes young Rivaldo the Spaniard, well even he was having trouble, no theres times and places for everything, all I am telling you is thats how things ARE!
Heard some good news Douglas is leaving, he was man of the match today, now wait and see fans saying see hes no bad, well let me tell you, he shouldny even be playing in Junior fitba!
LMAO I am not all doom and gloom, but also heard a David James may be coming to Celtic, hope not he is Englands goalie at least one of them, well I dont like him either, his nickname is very appropriate, Calamity James! LoL
david lowson
Hey Hubert Leave Doris Day oot o it, one of my favourite pictures.
jimmyd
Never liked Douglas either Hubert,was amazed when Celtic signed him.and agree with you re James.Saves some crackers ,but lets in some howlers.Celtic had a good young lad McConndachie,last I heard he was playing with Stenhousemuir,or some other wee team.I know of a couple of good keepers here who would just love the chance.
david lowson
Maybe they might bring back Frank (past nine) Haffey Now there was a keeper, where did they get him frae?
The games no made any easier now a days wae all the modern baws and boots gie them a chance.
jimmyd
Frank Haffey was a good goalie David,ask the Rangers team of the day. The problem in the 9 3 game was the bozos in front of him,were bliddy awful that day.He was made the fall guy. wink.gif
david lowson
Sorry Jimmy I disagree wae you on that one have a great xmas
David
hubert
Well with all due respect it appears this season the SPL has one and a half teams, being competitive!
Celtic beat Hibs 6-0 the team that beat Celtic 2-1 in the CIS cup last week?
Now Celtic are 11 points clear of their next in the league Rangers, who play Dundee at Dens Park Sunday.
david lowson
Hubert who gives a shit? why dont you and Jimmy open up a post for celtic supporters only. There are other people in this segment who dont give a damn aboot rangers and celtic.
jimmyd
Oh dear David we are a wee bit touchy the day !!! Now if I can make a wee suggestion. Firstly, the heading of the thread is "The Old Firm ",which suggests a thread about Celtic and Rangers,therefore one can assume it will have meaning,for people who DO! give a damn,about these teams.
Now if you do not like a TV or Radio programme,you switch stations or channels.May I suggest that you do similiar and not read this thread ,then your sensibilities will not be offended.OK ! Mate, biggrin.gif problem solved and everybody is happy.
Watched that game last night Hubert,some damn fierce tackling.thought big Sutton played a blinder.
hubert
That reply to David was better than I could have responded Jimmy, so I will let it go there! LoL
Yes Sutton is having a verygood season could be in the running for player of the year? I in the past seasons got annoyed with his backing into defenders causing fouls often and he was kind of moody, but is enthusiasm and goal scoring plus assists are first class these days.
Yes the Hibs tackling and some Celtic tackles were fierce, thats how legs get broken, I dont know how McNamara is today with that clobber on his leg, that Hibs player deserved a red card!
Marg
here's a wee web site for yous
http://www.rangersfansvcelticfans.com/
david lowson
Jimmy and Hubert for the record I did not put that post in , we had visitors on sunday night and one of them was on the computer.
Good luck to all the teams involved.
jimmyd
Thanks for the site Marg,looks like a fun place to be.
David ,must say I was a wee bit surprised at the comment. Best lay down some rules for your visitors Eh ! biggrin.gif
hubert
No problem David I can understand the humour in someone else doing that!
Marg thanks for the website, I already belong to a combined Celtic and Rangers fans website, been awhile since I was there.
Rangers won 2-0 against Dundee today at Dens Park, the gap is now 8 points between the OF teams, the 3rd of Jan should be a great game, I get to see that one probably my last for awhile?
david lowson
I agree Jimmy we had a bit of a household on sunday night, and the computer was on for most of the night. I offer my apologies to everyone.
Believe it or not but the person that was responiible was an ex Edinburgh Scot.
jimmyd
Noo ah ask ye David,whit can ye expect fae an Edinburgh man Lol biggrin.gif
Catherine
Must admit ah did laugh when ah read it David....It's the kinda thing ye might say unner yer breath but it shocks the hell oot ye if ye'd tae read it. It's like when ye think somethin then ye notice a silence an ye think "cripes did ah think that or did ah say it oot loud"!! Ahd a pal wance fae Edinburgh an aw Jimmy, wid stert a fight in an empty hoose noo that ah think of it laugh.gif
scotslad90
Marg I really enjoyed your site-the joke sections were hilarious and to me thats all "old firm rivalry "is.Recognised most of the jokes from a thread I followed earlier on the year when the rugby was in full swing but instead of Rangers v Celtic it was Aussie v Kiwi.So it goes on everywhere -its just a sad day when we can't laugh at ourselves.Got a few good new jokes from the section though and am storing them up for going back to work and I will use them on both sides. laugh.gif
jimmyd
Jist make sure you are wearing a crash helmet when you tell them Iain. biggrin.gif
jimmyd
All ready for the big wan tonight 11 30 Aust time.Lets hope it is a good game. biggrin.gif
hubert
I will be up at 3:30am my time, game starts at 4:30am.
I was reminded of the sad Ibrox disaster in 1971 by a internet post today. At the time of the disaster I was living in San Diego Ca. and my father in law sent me a Glasgow paper, in it was the name of a football mate and friend Johnny Gardener who was killed that day.
Not because of his death, but I can say Johnny was one of the nicest persons, I had the pleasure of meeting let alone playing football with, he was a goalkeeper, and I believe at his untimely death he was a coach of a Clydebank youth team.
david lowson
Hey Jimmy Aussie Aussie Aussie ha ha ha whits going on in Sydney India are gien them a right beltin. The Aussies look like a pub team playing in the village green. Enjoy the game the night.
Hubert I was at that game in 1971 left 10 mins before the game ended so we could get the subway home, heard the roar when rangers scored in the last minute.
Melody
Oh Mammy Daddy....whit time is it?... unsure.gif
Melody
Walk on.. Walk on..
Melody
Celtic 3 Rangers 0..... It's a grand old team to play for! smile.gif

Sorry it's my Glaswegian upbringing..very non PC!

Yeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss!
jimmyd
Walk on ! walk on! am right with you Melody am hyper here,will b not get to sleep tonight !! Last one was a cracker!! biggrin.gif
Melody
biggrin.gif Oh it's awfy hard to stop smilin' Jimmy...phones and going off here ..text messages from pals..phone-in on the radio. Another day in paradise. Hail Hail
jimmyd
David I was going to ignore your post,but on reflection felt, that would appear sour grapes on my part.
Aussie ! Aussie ! Aussie ! Oi ! oi ! oi !.I continue to say it mate. They have deservedly ,earned the title of the best in the world,the stats prove it.
This test still has a long way to go,you remember the other day ,when you were saying the same thing.What was the out come then.The Aussies won.Write them off at your peril mate.
Now I have been watching most of the day,and have enjoyed the Indians,batting Tendulkar is a master as is Laxman,a joy to watch. So if India win,good luck to them ,can only be good for the game of Cricket.
I really find it difficult,to understand your bitterness towards Australian sports people.So many Scots I know are of the same opinion as yourself.So would you please try to enlighten me.!!!

dry.gif
hubert
Well it was a verygood result for a Celtic fan like me, it was no classic, in fact I thought at times Celtic were very average, still in football a team can come down to the level of the opposition, and Rangers were poor by their normal standards, so Celtic probably could or should have scored more.
Rangers great asset is their goalie, a first class performer I think!
Kind of funny the three big guns in Celtics lineup didnt score, Larsson. Sutton, and Hartson.
Jimmy I was thinking if they had been on form , it could have been a cricket score! LMAO
david lowson
Only in the cricket Jimmy dont like the sledging the Australians do, they were at it again yesterday. Any other sport that is played in this country is played to the true spirit of the game.
Even in the rugby codes, surely you must be able to see that Jimmy, the cricketers here seem to make it to most of the newspapers all over the world with their antics on the field,and off as well.
So hope that this will enlighten what I am saying , everybody has their own opinion about different sports I have mine going back a long way to cricket, even when Lillie and Marsh were involed in the betting scandal some years ago. Also My Family has got a bit of history playing the game as you would see if you can get a copy of wisdens book (I think thats what it is called)
So Jimmy hope this will answer a few Questions about my feelings of sport here in Australia. I also like to watch Australia do well in the swimming and track, which no one in this site seems to mention, it seems to be all football and rugby
Congratulations to celtic for their win I would disagree with martin O'neil saying that it is not over yet..I was speakin to my b-in -law in Glasgow who have got a corporate box at Parkhead, and he reckons this is the worst rangers team in years. What I would like to know as I said ages ago where do they get the money to buy all those rejects. What they should be doing is start by looking at some of the players that are playing in the lower divisions. I think it was either you or Scotslad that was saying that there are some good young players in Scotland, so why dont the big clubs give them ago. Surely Rangers or as a matter of fact any other scottish Premier side would be better of spending the money on a decent coach.
Dont laugh but there are 3 good players playing for Brechin City, who have one of the best training systems in the uk.
jimmyd
I agree with you Hubert,it sure was no classic,but in that game it,s the final score that counts.Rangers are lucky, to have had Moore and Berg at the back,and of course Klos what a keeper.I think that there must be some,internal personality problems within,the Rangers camp.There just does not seem, to be any team spirit.They don't appear to play for each other.Well as I have said before .Ah'm no complainin. !!! cool.gif
Catherine
Personally I think they all have way too much money....so jist say the word guys an ah'll empty thur poakets laugh.gif
{oh ah love it when Martins no oan}
david lowson
Jimmy very surprised that you did not answer my post, isnt that what you wanted to know?Was it a wee bit too complicated of an answer?
Or Maybe you are just nursing a sair heid with that good victory over rangers. Ah the best David.
Catherine
David, Jist wis speakin wae ma wee nephew Johnny therr oan the msn who's fourteen....He's sick!! laugh.gif He loves the Rangers as does his dad, I said well darlin it could be worse, it could be the Celtic that goat beat....that wisnae funny tae him either. Oh football fans eh....see ahd change that score if ah could in a minute, jist fur him, which is why ah no ah'll never quite make the grade of a die hard y'no. {but don't tell any of the rest of them that, keep it tae yersel mind}
david lowson
To true Catherine awe the kids grew wae fitbae in Glasgow. My nephews are Celtic daft , just like their faither. My Nephew went to the final in spain last year, but never came home disappointed.
As far as it goes wae me Catherine it does not bother me
as my personal opinion about the fitbae in Scotland is a bit below par.
In England at least you see the whole league is competative, not in Scotland theres only one team and thats it. I wonder how much they charge to get in, its no wonder that rangers are in debt.
I feel sorry for the wee clubs likes o Forfar and other small teams, gone are the days when you could watch a great 1st div game all because of the big Dollar sign.
I suppose that Hubert and Jimmy will disagree with that comment, dont tell them.
hubert
Oh David I have said fitba in Scotland was seldom on an even playing field many years ago, even when in the 50`s it did appear that at times it wasnt a two team league.
To me one of a few reasons I would favour Celtic playing in the EPL or across the border, I deliberately dont mention Rangers in this only for the simple reason they are not my team, and their fans have that right to their choice!
The money factor is hitting all teams these days so money is again another one of the reasons Celtic should ply their trade south of the border.
david lowson
Go for your life Hubert I will speak for the rangers supporters. They are just not good enough, and I am sure most will agree.
As for Celtic going across the border its a great idea, look a the Scottish support in England, in the thousands and big gates.
Then form a same system in the super league.( not sure if that what they will call it). Then its up to the SFA to get their fingers oot o asses and something for the other clubs that paticipate in that so called promotion to the super league.
Its time the whole board of the SFA had a good laxative.
I for one played a lot of fibae in glasgow and London, and they were great games but sadly Hubert the money factor has crept into the game. There are mair Mac Donalds oot here than senior fitbae teams. All I can say (my opinion) is welcome to capitalism in the fitbae game. Nice chattin, and yes the best team one by a mile, and they will not be caught. So sit back and relax and follow the fortunes of Brechin City, a team to watch in the next few years. The only thing if they do get into top divisions who is going to help them oot wae the ground standards, certainly not that bunch of old farts the call the SFA. There is another meaning to SFA. (Sweet F...All) sorry for the language.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.