Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mo Johnson, New Manager
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Catherine
Mo Johnson is now the new Manager for the Toronto Soccer Team.

I think it's great.
I read the article in the Toronto Star, was all upbeat and he seemed quite thrilled.

Did ye read it ya auld grump? biggrin.gif
hubert
Gie me news no history, he didnt do too well at what was the team, Red Bulls or something, anyhoo good luck to him, coaching is a tough game.
I remember Toronto City in 1962, I went to see them play Rhiems (sp) of France, Stanley Mathews was playing, Johnny Haynes, Jackie Blanchflower, goalie was an ex Scotland and Hibs man Tommy Younger, and some other big names, I still have the game program, Toronto won 2-0.
Henke
Wiz it naw Danny Blanchflower? Ma da says he was unreal. I think he was Irish.
hubert
QUOTE (Henke @ 8th Oct 2006, 10:23 PM)
Wiz it naw Danny Blanchflower? Ma da says he was unreal. I think he was Irish.

Your right it was Danny, Jackie was his brother but didnt play for Toronto.
He was Irish but that doesnt necessarily make you unreal! LoL Jist kiddin.
I remember a halfback line that played for Nothern Ireland, Blanchflower, Blanchflower and Peacock.
marina
i know mo's sister lorraine
hubert
Well I watched on TV most of Toronto FCs first MSL league game from California, they were beaten 2-0 by Chivas USA, both teams could use more quality players, one or two on each team looked talented, most were very average.
Will Mo Johnstone last the season/ Jist kiddin? smile.gif
Guest hubert *
New England Revolution 4 Toronto FC 0 will Mo Johnston last the season, jist kiddin? laugh.gif
Guest hubert *
Kansas City Wizards defeated Toronto 3-0, that is the third game in a row without scoring even one goal for Toronto, will Mo Johnson last the season as manager/coach, jist kiddin? smile.gif
hubert
So far they have played 4, lost 4, with NO goals scored for Mo Johnston and the Toronto FC.
Catherine
The Weekend there was their Official Opening Hubert in Toronto.
Other than the stand menu's now including Chip Butty's and Scotch Eggs I don't know how it went laugh.gif

I believe the Season Tickets are sold out, which seemingly is a first for Soccer here.
mitchell
Are they expecting Beckam to play charity games Catherine?, or the Mrs to sing a few numbers laugh.gif
Elma
Beckham and his L.A. team are coming to Vancouver for a game in either September or October.
hubert
QUOTE (Catherine @ 1st May 2007, 12:37 AM) *
The Weekend there was their Official Opening Hubert in Toronto.
Other than the stand menu's now including Chip Butty's and Scotch Eggs I don't know how it went laugh.gif

I believe the Season Tickets are sold out, which seemingly is a first for Soccer here.

I think it was 1-0 they lost? Yes they are fortunate to have a big following.
toerag
Well Mo Johnson is no longer the head coach, we are geting John Carver and Mo is moving upstairs to"management" Seems season tickets are sold out again out so a big following for Toronto soccer whoever is the head coach! Hubert can they do any better with John Carver at the helm??
hubert
QUOTE (toerag @ 4th Feb 2008, 09:06 PM) *
Well Mo Johnson is no longer the head coach, we are geting John Carver and Mo is moving upstairs to"management" Seems season tickets are sold out again out so a big following for Toronto soccer whoever is the head coach! Hubert can they do any better with John Carver at the helm??

Well I dont know much about Carver, and I dont think there is much too know, LoL, its doubtful one way or the other if things will improve, sorry?
There was a John Carver that came to America in the Mayflower, canny mind if he played for Plymouth or if that was his destination? laugh.gif
In 1966 I was the coach of the Toronto Celtic, played 18 league games won 17 drew 1 lost 0, true.
We used to train in the New Windsor Pub on Church St. near Queen street, it was McVeigh and Gilligans then, also true! LoL
toerag
biggrin.gif laugh.gif
Catherine
Cripes we're in amongst the famous Toerag and we didnae know it laugh.gif

I think that's a great wee claim tae fame Hubert, gaun yersel, or better still why don't ye come back an soart them oot for us laugh.gif
hubert
QUOTE (Catherine @ 6th Feb 2008, 02:11 PM) *
Cripes we're in amongst the famous Toerag and we didnae know it laugh.gif
I think that's a great wee claim tae fame Hubert, gaun yersel, or better still why don't ye come back an soart them oot for us laugh.gif

Thanks Catherine, its hard to be humble, they used tae call me Hughie Stein, canny blame them! LoL
Imagine Toronto FC having sold 16,000 season tickets this season, thats something, good luck to them.
toerag
Yeah!! we finally won a game....againt LA Galaxy ! Home opener this week end 19th
Noonan McKane
Wow. 2 pages, nearly 2 years, and no one spotted that Maurice Johnston's name isn't "Mo Johnson".

Top Glaswegians.
hubert
QUOTE (Noonan McKane @ 1st Apr 2009, 01:36am) *
Wow. 2 pages, nearly 2 years, and no one spotted that Maurice Johnston's name isn't "Mo Johnson".

Top Glaswegians.

You dont has to call me Johnson, you dont has to call Johnstone, you dont even has to call me Johnston, you can me J. LMAO
Noonan sure glad you got that straightened oot, notice you joined one year ago April fools day, does that have any significance?
Keep posting dont be shy! biggrin.gif
toerag
Home opener this Saturday April 4th, go team go!! We are off to a good start!!
big tommy
dear Catherine
The only was Mr Johnston will succeed is if the Toronto team is a team of ladies .That is the only environment Mr \Johnston feels at home in .
Big Tommy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.