Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scotland Under 19 In The European Final.
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
hubert
Semi-finals - 26 July 2006 18:30 (local time) - Groclin Dyskobolia - Grodzisk Wielkopolski

Czech Republic 0 - 1
Scotland
47' Elliot

Gemmill celebrates Scottish heart Thursday, 27 July 2006.
e-mailPrint

Archie Gemmill hailed Scotland's "tremendous heart" as Calum Elliot's second-half header defeated the Czech Republic in Grodzisk Wielkopolski and sent the Scots into their first UEFA final for almost 25 years. Scotland ruled Europe at U18 level in 1982 but, to claim the U19 trophy, will have to overcome a Spanish side who have already defeated them 4-0 in this tournament in Saturday's showpiece in Poznan. uefa.com hears from the coaches.

Archie Gemmill, Scotland team manager
We played particularly well in the first half and perhaps we deserved to score another goal, but when you're only one in front it's always nervous and they pinned us back a bit. But I've always said right from the start this squad has tremendous heart and they showed that again today. I think it was our best performance of the finals today, we've got a great squad who keep coming up with the goods and they've done it yet again. We learnt a lot from our first game against Spain mainly how to get hammered but we'll give the final our best shot and see what happens. I'd be very disappointed if it was anything like the first game. But tonight's fantastic and I'm really pleased for the lads - it's something they'll remember for the rest of their lives. Forty years down the line, they'll be telling their grandchildren about this.

Miroslav Soukup, Czech Republic coach
The worst loss is by one goal, especially because I feel we played much better in the second half once we were behind than we had in the first and we had enough pressure to equalise. In the first 45 minutes, we struggled to create scoring chances; I don't know if Scotland changed their approach after going ahead but we were much better after that and I'm sad we couldn't equalise. This is the first time we haven't scored in the competition. It's happened in the semi-finals and we're out but this competition is a great learning ground for players and coaches. We came up against very strong opponents whose tactics were really impressive but I don't think they can win the final. I know Spain beat Austria 5-0 in today's other semi-final and, although sometimes football is not logical, I think they will also win on Saturday.
mitchell
Thanks for that Hubert!, I find it strange that we have not heard or seen anything about this great feat on the news, web sites, etc.
There is some hope for the future of Scotland with those fine young players coming up through the ranks.
Well done Scotland and thanks again for your info on it!
One thing though, what would have been the scenario if it was England that made it to the final? Would have been all over the world then! rolleyes.gif
hubert
Mitchell in all fairness I have seen it in a number of sites and Sky sports TV, but you will have to look close LoL, I like and got a laugh about your comment had it been England, how true!
Thanks Mitchell!
Catherine
Archie Gemmil played for Celtic did he no Hubert ?.......ah wis a wean at the time but the names pretty much up there wae all the greats biggrin.gif
Good to read there's hope for us yet.
As Mitchell says, here in Canada also, I never heard a thing about this either.

Jist a question here.....Anyone heard anythin about the Reserve Rangers Goalkeeper, Lee Robinson?
hubert
Archie Gemmel didnt play for Celtic, and that Archie Gemmel is the son, thats the coach.
Never ever heard of Lee Robinson?
It might be Mrs Robinson`s boy? smile.gif
Isobel
Is this Bettys grandson, Catherine?
Catherine
Jist bein nosey, heard the name laugh.gif

Jings Hubert ah really thought Archie Gemmil played for Celtic when ah wis wee......how dae ah no the name then?
Java
Catherine, ah'm nosey so ah googled him (so he'll be injured fur next season) and from what I read, most people are quite impressed... biggrin.gif
Catherine
Java, thanks pet......did a wee edit, thoat ah might a blethert too much there laugh.gif
aaron king
haw catherine hen.i think you remember tommy gemmel,in the 60s and 70s
Catherine
Thanks Aaron, THAT'S the one, knew ah wisnae haverin {kinda} laugh.gif
iancameron
QUOTE (Catherine @ 28th Jul 2006, 04:21 AM)
Archie Gemmil played for Celtic did he no Hubert ?.......ah wis a wean at the time but the names pretty much up there wae all the greats biggrin.gif
Good to read there's hope for us yet.
As Mitchell says, here in Canada also, I never heard a thing about this either.

Jist a question here.....Anyone heard anythin about the Reserve Rangers Goalkeeper, Lee Robinson?

Lee Robinson comes from Sunderland, and at 26 he has got a way to go to get into the first team as a regular keeper, but he has done and is still doing well in the reserves
jaybee
The Under 19s are coming to Ottawa in 2007,,,,, got to get some tickets. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver too I think. Jaybee
mitchell
It'll be the under 20s by then! wink.gif
Catherine
laugh.gif Good one Mitchell!
hubert
Hard luck, Scotland 1 Spain 2, great getting to the final!
mitchell
Yes Hubert it was indeed, I believe that they have been playing in excessive heat, and Spain would have been better climitized for the game.

Here is a bit about the game!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/i...als/5221720.stm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.