Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Irish Immigrants Garscube / Dobbies / St. George's
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Family History
Pages: 1, 2
mijwoodward
Hello. I am interested in learning about the history of the Garscube Road-Dobbie's Loan-St. George's Rd area in Glasgow during the 1840's-1850's. My ancestors, William Logg and Barbara McLauchlan, lived there with their children, as found on the 1841 census. Then, in 1851, William is found living with one of his daughters, Hannah Bolland, on St. George's. Both of the Loggs, along with their daughter, Hannah, were born in Ireland.

I want to find out all I can about the social history of that area of Glasgow during that time, especially regarding Irish immigrants--what did the area look like, was there sort of an Irish community there, etc.?

I plan to obtain one of the Villages of Glasgow books. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.
RonD
Hi: I have found that the local libraries are invaluable in providing that kind of information. There is usually a local history group that they can tap into, as well as they have period maps of the area and possibly old photographs and sketches.
Heather
I don't know anything about the 1840/50s.

My great/g/father who was Irish, lived in the Garscube Road after leaving the Army.

I lived in the Garscube Road 1940/50 and there were still a lot of Irish about then.

I don't recognise any the names you are asking about.
Paul Kelly
Hi MIJ.

I have recently been reading about Glasgow in the mid 19th century. The districts of Cowcaddens, Dobbie's Loan and Garscube Road, just to the north of Glasgow city centre, were considered part of the old slum territories of Glasgow. These districts, along with Townhead (High Street area), District 14 (area between the Trongate and the River Clyde), Calton and Anderston were the districts of Glasgow in which the earliest Irish immigrants to Glasgow settled in the 1830s, 1840s and 1850s. (Some Irish immigrants came to Glasgow even before the 1846 Irish Potato Famine, but their numbers greatly increased after the Famine, and immigrants continued coming late into the 19th century and even the early 20th century.) The Irish immigrants that came to Glasgow from the 1860s onwards tended to settle mainly in Garngad, Gorbals, Bridgeton (and even Govan and Maryhill.) Many new tenement buildings had been quickly thrown up, and the more recent immigrants were settling slightly further from the city centre.

You were asking about conditions in the Cowcaddens/Garscube area. I have recently read that a count of 174 tenement homes in part of the Cowcaddens area in the mid 19th century revealed that between them they only had 6 outside toilets and 3 middens. Conditions in High Street and District 14 (Saltmarket and the Briggait) were even worse than in Cowcaddens!

You also mentioned the surnames of Logg and McLauchlan. Most of the 19th century Irish immigrants to Glasgow were illiterate and, as a result, many Irish surnames were recorded incorrectly by Scottish officials. (See my topic 'Common Irish Surnames in Scotland' on this 'Family History' forum.) I suspect Logg and McLauchlan are 'Scottish' spellings of the Irish surnames Logue and McLaughlin. Both these surnames are very common in County Donegal and many of Glasgow's Irish immigrants came from County Donegal.

Paul
Scots Evelyn
unsure.gif Hi Mijwoodward,

I am also researching my husband's family history from around the same area. They were Moloneys and they stayed at Raglan Street, round the corner from St. Georges Road. They arrived in Scotland from Ireland around 1894/95. I recently visited the area, and all of the old tenements are now gone, having been replaced with flats. I did notice that there was a large church in St. Georges Road, 'St Georges in the Fields'. This church may hold records of your family history. Maybe Paul Kelly might know something about it? I am planning on paying a visit there one day soon, as I stay in the Glasgow area, and I will make enquiries as to any records which they may hold. I'll post my findings here.( I am assuming that it was a catholic church as the area around there seemed to be filled with irish immigrants.)

Regards

Evelyn
Scots Evelyn
dry.gif P.S. why is 'GARSCUBE ROAD' always referred to as 'THE GARSCUBE ROAD' !!????Hmmm
jimmyd
Evelyn !!! I seem to remember Garscube Rd as being the Gaspipe Rd ha ha ha laugh.gif laugh.gif
Guest Dimairt *
Evelyn,
St. Columba's in Hopehill Rd. is the Catholic church for that area. It's still there and worth a visit if you're interested in church architecture - it's a B-listed building.
St. George's in the Fields was converted to flats in the 1990s having lain derelict for a few years. If you're looking for information about Glasgow, start here at the Mitchell Library, in the Glasgow Room on the 2nd. floor. The staff are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Le dùrachd,
Dimairt
Scots Evelyn
smile.gif Hi Dimairt,

Thanks for that! Love the photo! It is a magnificent looking church. Just a pity it wasn't kept as a church. I was actually in the Mitchell for two days last week doing family history research and I had so many other things on the go, that I had forgotten all about the church, until now. I will pay a visit to the Glasgow room some time next week and try to get some details. Cheers Evelyn
Scots Evelyn
JIMMYD laugh.gif laugh.gif hahahaha evelyn
Heather
Jimmyd, it's a long time since I heard the Garscube Road being referred to as the ' Gaspipe '. You are correct of course. I lived in Sawfield Place just off the ' Gaspipe 'almost across from North Woodside Road.

Evelyn, anyone living in Raglan Street many years ago would be Parishioners of St. Joseph's in North Woodside Road. As the chapel no longer exists, the records are kept in St. Columba's in Hopehill Road.

Last year I emailed the Priest in St. Columba's about my Baptismal Certificate, and he posted it on to me within a few days. He even put the date of my Confirmation on it. I was curious to know who my Godmother was as my mum could not remember. Can't blame her as she will be 95 years old next Monday. smile.gif
stuarty
this is the church my uncle john slowey was taken for his requiem mass last april and it is still as pretty now as it was as a child as a was up there everyweekend with my ma and da visiting my relatives still living there and still do the ones that are still alive
RonD
Here's a shot in the dark. My brother and I were in Lambhill cememtry in 1992 looking for my grand parents but the office was closed. If anyone is wandering aboout there, I'm looking for a stone for Edward Demspey and his wife Sarah (Bonar) Dempsey ( if there are headstones.) If you see them let me know. Cheers
Scots Evelyn
RDEM I was at the cemetry last year looking for Moloneys, and spent about 3 hours wandering round searching and found nothing. The only thing we picked up was a very heavy cold!! My husband and daughter were really quite ill with it!! We intend to return at some time in the springtime, so I'll take a note of your relatives with me and let you know if I find anything.

HEATHER! Thanks, I will try St Columbas. Do you know what sort of details they might have? My husbands Moloneys weren't married here, but I would imagine that in order to have their children christened, they would have to show their marriage cert to prove that they were legally married? Do you think the church would hold details like that? If so, it would be a goldmine for me!!

Cheers biggrin.gif
Scots Evelyn
Rdem

Just had another thought. Last year my dad decided to try and find his grandparents last resting place in Sandyhills Cemetry, but had no luck. My mum then wrote to the council office for this area, giving them as much details as possible re dates and names and lo and behold, 3 months later, she got a lovely letter telling her exactly where the grave could be located (there are about 5 of them in the lair). The letter also said that, if my mum and dad gave a few days notice, someone from the council would meet them there and show them the exact location!! Wasn't that nice?? Most surprising, given that it's the Glesga Cooncil we're talking aboot!! They haven't been as yet, as my mum hasn't been too well, but they're waiting for the better weather.

wink.gif
aaron king
Click to view attachmentHERE ARE SOME PICS OF OLD GARSCUBE RD AND AREA
Heather
Evelyn, I don't know if they would have details of where a marriage took place unless it was in that Church.
I have just checked my Birth Certificate and it gives my parents names and date of Marriage, but gives no information as to where they were married.
Baptismal, & Marriage Certificate's only give my parents names.

We have just recently managed to find out that our great g'father was married in St. Mungo's in 1876. We are still trying to find out where in Ireland he came from, as his Birth Certificate only says Born in Ireland as was his wife.

Rdem, years ago there were two cemetaries in Lambhill. Catholic and Protestant. Lambhill Cemetary and St. Kentigerns. Coming from a family of different Religions, I have relations in both. Recently I was told they are now joined together.
Scots Evelyn
Heather, thanks for your reply. I might try to email the church and ask if they have any details re any of my husbands family. I would imagine they would have all been christened there. I know that the marriage I'm looking for took place in Dundalk, Louth, 24/2/1892. I'm really looking to find out where my husbands great grandfather came from. I've tried Louth but there weren't a lot of Moloneys in that vicinity at that time It's more likely to be Clare, as it is heaving with Moloneys!! I'm getting frustrated with his family history because of the Ireland link!!! Thank God mine are all scottish back to 1650!!! wink.gif
Heather
Evelyn, think how we feel in trying to trace my husband's g'g'father, Patrick O'Brien. wub.gif

There must be 1000s of men with that name in Ireland, or Irish descent.

When I was over in Ireland a couple years ago with my sister and her American husband, we traced the Chapel in County Meath where his g'father was Baptised. It was on his Baptismal Certificate. The Priest gave us the address where my bro-in-laws g'g'parents family lived, but we could not find the place.
jock
Thanks for the old pics. Aaron.Brings back forgotten memories.I attended the old St. Mungo's Academy and occasionally would walk home from Parliamentary Rd. to Maryhill via dobbies loan etc.
Heather
Paul I came from Sawfield Place right off the Garscube Road, and it was a three storey tenement with four house's on each level and every level had an outside toilet. So there were twelve house with three toilets. There were no houses on the ground floor. Some of the house's had one room and kitchen, and some had two rooms and a kitchen.
sam scott
Hello,
I lived in Cedar Place for years, my Grandparents lived in the Carscube Road area during the period you are refering. My Grandad's Parents and Grandparents also lived there. They came from Ireland during the period you are searching. The poeple of that area were mostly Coal miners or Foundry workers, ther were Coal Mines in Possil, and a few Iron Foundries in the area. My grandad's name was Gallagher and I Have records of his family from 1820. You can go to Park Circus to the Registry office were you can search all of the Records of Births,Deaths, and Marriages for scotland. It costs about £13 a day to use the computer, you do not have to go to Edinborgh to search now. you can also go to the Mitchell Library and search the Census's for that period. if you like the Priest at St Columba has the Parish records for both St Joseph's and St Columba's, and will allow you to look at them with an appointment. I hope this will help you in your search
Sam
cutechick
Hi Everyone,
I am a new member and I am having a bit of bother getting in here (a wee bit slow in the uptake)
This will be short and sweet I am known as The Cute Chick from The Cowcaddens I lived in Balnain St accross from the Woodside Baths and then moved to Castlemilk so all these old pictures are bringing back a lot of good memories Thankyou.
Stuarty I think I know your Family at least your Mothers Bella Cathy Esther and Vincent they lived on Northwoodside Rd and were they related to the McCullochs?
Great site now wish me luck that i get this off.
aaron king
QUOTE (jock @ 8th Mar 2007, 07:24 AM) *
Thanks for the old pics. Aaron.Brings back forgotten memories.I attended the old St. Mungo's Academy and occasionally would walk home from Parliamentary Rd. to Maryhill via dobbies loan etc.

THANKS JOCK ,I GLAD I PUT THEM IN NOW,HASTE YE BACK
Scots Evelyn
Hi Sam Scott,

I was interested to see that you lived in Cedar Place. One of my husbands relatives was born in 6 Cedar Place. Are any of the houses still there?
j macklin
QUOTE (sam scott @ 13th Mar 2007, 02:30pm) *
Hello,
I lived in Cedar Place for years, my Grandparents lived in the Carscube Road area during the period you are refering. My Grandad's Parents and Grandparents also lived there. They came from Ireland during the period you are searching. The poeple of that area were mostly Coal miners or Foundry workers, ther were Coal Mines in Possil, and a few Iron Foundries in the area. My grandad's name was Gallagher and I Have records of his family from 1820. You can go to Park Circus to the Registry office were you can search all of the Records of Births,Deaths, and Marriages for scotland. It costs about £13 a day to use the computer, you do not have to go to Edinborgh to search now. you can also go to the Mitchell Library and search the Census's for that period. if you like the Priest at St Columba has the Parish records for both St Joseph's and St Columba's, and will allow you to look at them with an appointment. I hope this will help you in your search
Sam
ethen
I was interested in the reply from S Scott I also stayed in Cedar Pl I lived with my granny 3 Cedar Pl
Her name was Mary Gallagher I had cousins lived in the same close The Scott,s Sammy Mary were
the parents they had I think seven children and I think Samuel was the youngest he had six sisters
I lived in Cedar Pl from 1940 until 1947 when I moved round to 13 Cedar St to my parents house my dad was demobbed we left this area and got moved to Easterhouse 1957 I don,t know of any other Scott,s who lived there in my time The Samuel I knew ended up in Bognar Regis
RSVP
edward kelly
hi

My father was born in june 1939 in 338 garscube road his name was john kelly i would be grateful if anyone had any information his father was edward kelly and his mother was mary agnes kelly
Sandi
QUOTE (mijwoodward @ 20th Jul 2006, 01:39am) *
Hello. I am interested in learning about the history of the Garscube Road-Dobbie's Loan-St. George's Rd area in Glasgow during the 1840's-1850's. My ancestors, William Logg and Barbara McLauchlan, lived there with their children, as found on the 1841 census. Then, in 1851, William is found living with one of his daughters, Hannah Bolland, on St. George's. Both of the Loggs, along with their daughter, Hannah, were born in Ireland.

I want to find out all I can about the social history of that area of Glasgow during that time, especially regarding Irish immigrants--what did the area look like, was there sort of an Irish community there, etc.?

I plan to obtain one of the Villages of Glasgow books. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Crossman
Hi Sandi

Talk to the librarians at Woodside Library which has some local history reference materials and books:
http://www.csglasgow.org/services/Library_...sidelibrary.htm

The Mitchell Library has a Glasgow History room which covers all areas.

Regards
Nick
robert clark
QUOTE (edward kelly @ 23rd Nov 2008, 06:42pm) *
hi

My father was born in june 1939 in 338 garscube road his name was john kelly i would be grateful if anyone had any information his father was edward kelly and his mother was mary agnes kelly
well i had a friend named john kelly.who came from the gaspipe. i was born in lyon st off the gaspipe road in 1938we used to run about the buzz cafe and gissies cafe think thats how you spell it. but i cant tell you much about him other than we had our own little gang called the buzz boys. we also ran about with the borstal boys from northwoodside road. other lads names were archie duffy. alex english and john english jim cullen and jackie jackson. but thats it iam afraid. regards robert clark
Christine Russell
Hi,

Looking for anyone researching McDades from Garscube Road.
My grandmother was Bridget McDade b.1919 and lived in Garscube Road.

Her parents where Elizabeth Heffron b.1889 Springfield Place and John McDade b.1883 - address 614 Garscube Road.

Elizabeths Heffrons parents where Henry Heffron b.1867 Partick and Annie Cunningham or (Connaghan) b. abt 1869 Glasgow.

John McDades parents where James McDade b.1857 Kissock Park, Garscube Road and Bridget McGinley b.abt.1859 Glasgow

Going further back on family most come from Ireland other names include Dearie or(Deary), Docherty, Williamson, Welsh.

Most of the families seem to be Iron Moulders and Glassworkers,

Anyone with any information on these addresses or the people would be much appreciate or if I can help anyone.
Joxmac
Hi Christine,

My wifes mother is Annie McDade sister of Bridget.
I am also working on the same McDade / Heffron tree.
Contact me at: crookston10@hotmail.com

Regards,

John McCreadie
benny
QUOTE (Christine Russell @ 9th Jul 2010, 04:48pm) *
Hi,

Looking for anyone researching McDades from Garscube Road.

I lived at 899 Garscube Road until I was about 5, so I don't remember a great deal about the area, but there was a McDade family living in the same close as us. The only one I have any memory of is Jean McDade, because she was one of my sister's pals. We left Maryhill in 1953, but I will ask my sisters if they know anything about the McDades that might be relevant.
Jupiter
There was a boxer who lived in Garscube Road near Queens Cross,60/70s named John McDaid.McDade.He was an amateur who Im sure represented Scotland.He later worked for Scottish and Newcastle Brewery and eventually lived in the Wyndford.
benny
My late brother in law - Arthur Keogh - who was born and brought up in Firhill was the cousin of George McDade, the boxer. Could this be the same guy?
Jupiter
Right on,Benny.Its a long time ago but my dad knew the man.If I recall he was quite a small guy stocky as you would expect from a boxer and a popular figure.Im afraid I dont remember too much about him except that I used to see him in Maryhill Road at the Wyndford Estate.
benny
Ah don't know anything ataw about the man, Joop, only that he wis ma brother in law's cousin. Ma eldest sister wid probably hiv met him though - ah'll need tae ask her next time ah speak tae her.
Jupiter
Benny if you find out anything put it on because he was a popular figure and may well have been a champion boxer.
Joop.
aaron king
I might be a trifle late adding to this topic ,I was brought up in Firhill rd and i remember a George McDade the boxer, stayed just round the corner in Hinshaw st and he actually was World Champion Walter McGowans first professional opponent ,Walter finished him off in 3 rounds at the Kelvin Hall 1961.
Jupiter
Now you mention it Aaron I think he stayed up number 1 or 5 Hinshaw Street.
aaron king
Aye Jupiter.I think it was the last close George stayed in before Doncaster st coming from the Furry.!!mibbe 5 ,
Jupiter
I remember the guy,he had one of the ex army haversacks for his sannies.He was a popular guy.Sadly all my family members who could have told us more have gone.
aaron king
Aye Jupiter ,I can relate to that ,I
aaron king
Aye Jupiter ,I can relate to that ,I had 4 older brothers around the same age as George McDade,no doubt they could have filled me in with a lot of questions re Firhill area ,hindsight eh!!,The Smiths fae Furry .
Jupiter
As this is about Irish immigrants I thought Id share this wee story which I thought was quite funny.My late father in law was an immigrant from Enniskillen,he died 40 years ago.My sister in law tells me he had a phrase,not uncommon she thinks when would say to her,"Go in and wash the delph."
I thought that was great and wonder if anyone else has heard it.It was new to me.
bilbo.s
Joop, I wondered what you were on about, and then it struck me that perhaps you mean " Delft", as in porcelain.
Jupiter
Hi Bilbo, thats exactly what I was on about,apology for spelling of the word.
Heather
Jupiter, no need to apologise.
Delph is the correct spelling as used by the Irish for dishes and exactly as your late father-in-law used it.
bilbo.s
Heather, I have never seen this word, as spelt here, but I bow to your superior knowledge of things Irish. I was genuinely puzzled by Joop's post, until I guessed that the word might be a corruption of the Dutch name. A quick google reveals nothing, but I suppose that Google works in English and not in Irish. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.