Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beckham
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
glasgowguerilla
biggrin.gif beckham done a beautiful job england against ecuador the limeys are fortunate to have such a genuis he is worth his weight in gold scotlands football is done we could not even qualify it is a sad day for scottish football our kids are not playing in the streets no more instead they are getting fat and staying on playstations and computers when i was greowing up we played in the tsreets everyday
maybe scotland will be world champions of pinball computer style
carmella
He was in tears when he had to go off in the 2nd half yesterday, against Portugal.

But, he's a great player, looks like that will be his last Captaincy for England in the World Cup though. If I'm not mistaken he's 30 now.
big al
now he's jacked the captaincy in before he is forced to go - good.

Beckham has never been the player he was before he broke his foot prior to the last world cup - since then he has been a very iffy player - he may have had his best season for real madrid but, as I watch spanish football every week and see him regularly, that doesn't say much because real were crap all season.

His goal against ecuador was about the only thing he did in that game - his contribution is the rest was certainly not what you'd expect or look from from a captain - to consider continuing his international career is a mistake - three world cups and everyone rubbish - time to call it a day along with the swedish tosser - a classic case of highway robbery - at least we can say that now

I can fondly remember his days at Man Utd and he was exciting to watch as part of a really great team - pity he couldn't continue that going forward - you wonder if ferguson thought he would burn out and that's part of why he got rid of him....makes you think

sad end to a great career in many ways - sad end to England's world cup - i think they were really lucky to get to where they were - then to go out the way they did was cruel to say the least
Isobel
Jim and I watched the game in the local with all our friends. I have to say in my opinion England were the best team. To go out again the way they did is awful .I could have killed Rooney .What the hell was he thinking about ,and right there in front of the ref.Oh well maybe Scotland will get there act together for the next world cup. They have four years do you think that will be enough time..........
witshisname
Honestly Isobel,
the answer would have to be no.Fifa could give Scotland an automatic entrance into the world cup,and they'd probably get lost on the way to the first game.
I have learned to live with the fact that Scotland will never be in another world cup again.
Heather
Oh thee of little faith. laugh.gif

Never mind Andy Murray was brilliant in the tennis.

What about the picture in the Sunday Post, the white cross across the blue sky depicting the Saltire.
Isobel
We are big tennis fans also. I was quite upset when Andy lost,but really theres always next year and he is so young. He did real well getting as far as he did. Not sure it was a wise decision getting rid of his coach.
jaybee
Talking about Andy Murray, I wonder if he is going to show up at the US championships. I hope so. Jaybee
hubert
Does Beckham play tennis? LMAO
jaybee
Ooops sorry.... lost the subject there..... jaybee
hubert
jaybee it was lost before you, LoL.
jaybee
Story of my life Hubert..... okay back to Beckham rolleyes.gif
hubert
Rumours oot he might go to the States, even Celtic are interested in signing him?????? rolleyes.gif
wee mags
well hubert I guess the rumours were right it was in the papers that he was paid $250,ooo,ooo, dollars to play here rolleyes.gif
witshisname
What an easy way to make some money,go to a country that has no Interest at all in the sport that you participate in,play for a few months and Pocket $50.000.000.
The Beckhams must be laughin aww the way to the bank,thinking they found the perfect suckers to extort money out of.
Which is a shame as they have said that they want to get recognized in the states as that is the only place in the world that doesn't really know who they are.
Victoria(posh) is known better in the states due to her music career in the spice girls.
But what really made me laugh was the old retoric that Beckham wants to go to the L A Galaxy and help build it up into a great team.
As everyone around him is saying that his best years are behind him.
The Galaxy Have just thrown away $250.000.000 for a man that will never be appreciated or as talented as he was in the past. sad.gif
jock
Just heard on TV that Real Madrid will use him only in practice games between now and when he leaves in June. Victoria arrived in L.A. today and is house and school hunting. They are very friendly with Tom Cruise and Katie.
big al
I don't think that anyone connnected with the club in the States is really expecting Beckham to play for the next 5 years for them - on the contrary they will get more out of Beckham in publicity for other activities than the playing of football - incidentally, the sums of money quoted for his stay are not guaranteed as the statement from his agents said yesterday - he could earn up to that amount given that certain things happen over that time. It is also likely that if his image takes off over there he can earn an awful lot more than that from the next move into TV or movies - good luck to him - I enjoyed watching him over many seasons and I wish him well when he goes - he was treated disgracefully by the new England manager and Capello at Real hasn't been much better - Beckham at least knows where he will be next year - bet you Capello doesn't....unless he wins something this season
Catherine
Well ah don't know the Cruise's masel Jock, Tom did play a part mind you in a film ahm in everyday of ma life....Mission Impossible laugh.gif

At the end of the day it sounds like a good business decision for them, lets face it, they're that far aff the richter scale wae the money they have anyway and they have the freedom to do what they want in their lives now.
Widnae mind havin the same freedom masel!

Wunner if it gets lonely wae aw that money laugh.gif
jock
Don't be surprised if Real, for a paltry sum of say $5 million, agrees to let him come to L.A. early and start the season here. At least that way they would get something for him. In June they get nothing. I think he is making a great career move at the proper time.I.ll let him know you are available to keep his lonely money company Catherine. laugh.gif
Angela Chick
Personally in my opinion he has finally shown his true colours a celebrity first and a footballer second, maybe we will hear less of him and his trout pout wife now, America is welcome to them.
Java
I thought Real were holding on to him because they still have shares in the royalty rights etc for his promotions.....

I say good luck to them...while they've both courted publicity here when it suits them, I do think there's been unneccessary infringements of their right to privacy at times...and I think we'd all find that tough to deal with, regardless of how much money we have in the bank....I also think that for the last few years, he's been a great ambassador for the sport and did an excellent job as England team captain... biggrin.gif
Isobel
If he can do anything to bring more of an interest in football to North America I say great. Already I hear talk of a new stadium being built in Toronto for the sole purpose of Soccer. Now is that not great or what. rolleyes.gif
Rab-oldname
In Rabs humble opinion the Beckhams want to think themselves very fortunate to have got where they are already. Isn't £XMillion not enough?. They have always seemed to be publicity mad and egotistic in the extreme. Everything they do has to have some positive way to increase their already bulging bank accounts. This incessant greed for their self-image does them no credit at all. No wonder the media loves them. So there!. mad.gif
big al
I can only say Rab - what would you do if you were in that position - probably the same I would guess - it's his life - if that's how he wants to live it it's his call.... might be a wee touch of jealousy in there somewhere perhaps???
Catherine
Don't know aboot Rab Alan but ahm jealous as hell laugh.gif
See ah coulda been Posh......in fact ahm awfy posh noo ah think of it, whit went wrang? laugh.gif
hubert
I like Beckham, played great for a team I like Man Utd, good luck to him, and if he can do something for the great game of fitba here in the States more power to him!
Goodness bloody gracious if numpty in the White Hoose can spend TRILLIONS of tax payers money on a civil war, why not give Beckham a paltry 1 million a week? LMAO rolleyes.gif
Catherine
Happy New Year ya auld grump laugh.gif

Here guess what Hubert........the boys got to go tae Murray Park {training club for Rangers in Milingavie?} and they got Stephan Klos goalie gloves, signed by the man hisel.
No bad for two wee Celtic Supporters eh? laugh.gif
hubert
QUOTE (Catherine @ 17th Jan 2007, 12:21 AM)
Happy New Year ya auld grump laugh.gif

Here guess what Hubert........the boys got to go tae Murray Park {training club for Rangers in Milingavie?} and they got Stephan Klos goalie gloves, signed by the man hisel.
No bad for two wee Celtic Supporters eh? laugh.gif

Happy new year to you too and the family.
Good for the wee bhoys, did they wear the hoops when they went there, to Murray field?
Yer something else, hell your even a Habs supporter and live in Toronto. LoL
big al
Catherine - you are Posh - but the differences are 1. You're better looking - 2. You are real and 3. You've got class - apart from that I don't know where you went wrong.....

I find it particularly distasteful when I read the comments being made by the Madrid management team about Beckham and Ronaldo also - how can there be any loyalty when they talk like this about players they still have on their books who gave good service to them over time - I know it's an unusual situation and I'm also sure that it's not as open and above board as Beckham's management representatives are saying that the whole thing was but Real Madrid - who I held up to be the finest and the best outside of Celtic of course - have let themselves down badly in my eyes by their posturing - Beckham was being used as a third or fourth stream reserve so he can hardly be a huge loss to the first team in the way that Real are portraying it....

I am sure he is not happy about it but the words laughing and bank come to mind.........
jimmyd
Hey lets face it !!! each and every one of us would do the same , if we were in same postion as the Becks . Good luck to them. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
mitchell
QUOTE (Angela Chick @ 15th Jan 2007, 10:04 AM)
Personally in my opinion he has finally shown his true colours a celebrity first and a footballer second, maybe we will hear less of him and his trout pout wife now, America is welcome to them.

What an excellent post to sum up this bunch of money grabbers.
Beckems career finished about 2 years ago. Yes he was a good player in his time, but all that money wasted on him and his plastic wife is immoral.
There are loads of people sleeping on the street and people dying of hunger where this greedy couple are going to.
Anyhow what is the ground capacity of this so called wonderful ground, maybe Hubert can jump in the motor and go up there and become season ticket holder. biggrin.gif
big al
could have seen the point of this if he had been 20 years of age instead of at the end of his career - where is the greed here - if people wish to expend vast amounts of cash on Beckham it's because they are going to get even vaster amounts of cash back so why the hell should he not get his fingers into the pot - I know I would if it was me - and I guess most people would as well - we can pontificate all we like about them being greedy etc etc etc but this is the way the world is now - we could probably do the same sort of thing ourselves if we got up of our arses and went out and did the type of activities that will bring in money like we're talking about. The world has been good to the Beckhams - to him for giving him some talent that was well exploited by his clubs and England, to her for being part of a hyped up bunch of little talented female "singers" who fitted the image that was created at the time - All that they are doing now is trying to keep that going.

I wish in some respects it was me BUT I couldn't put up with the crap they have to put up with - good luck to them - one way or another they'll never be on the poverty line.... if we think this is obscene what about the people who enter public life to servem - what about Blair and his wife - they don't come more obscene than that pair .....
hubert
This Saturday Beckham finally got a game for Real Madrid, yes he did score in there 2-1 win, and yes it was a first class freekick, also their second goal was scored by Van Nistelroy (sp).
Good for the lad well done Beckham!
mitchell
See that the wonder boy got sent off last Saturday!
jimmyd
Have only one question for you Mitchell " what are you doing to alleviate the suffering of the people living on the streets" ?. Even a couple of bucks sent to the Salvos ,or that Sydney priest who helps wayward kids ,would make a difference. We could spend our life , slagging off at those more fortunate , but do you KNOW what charities if any that Becks and Posh support. Next time you buy a CD of your favourite singer or group ,ask yourself do they deserve all that money they are paid?. wink.gif wink.gif
jimmie
h i guys noticed a post put in last night reguarding celtic and tick and crawling out of europe to put you right it was my idiot of a young brother so i do appollogise to any one offended cheers.
aaron king
Good luck to the celtic tonight,should be a great game cool.gif
jimmyd
No problems Jimmie , might be a good idea to use a password for logging to windows also log off GG each time you leave ,that way he will not be able to post.
I hope it will be agood game Aaron ,a win would be magic rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
hubert
QUOTE (mitchell @ 19th Feb 2007, 09:58 PM) *
See that the wonder boy got sent off last Saturday!

Guess this is for the wee brother, the doubter?
Beckham got MOTM against Bayern Munich in Reals 3-2 win and he had a part in all three goals for Real, Beckham is STILL a class fitba player!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.