Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Street in Townhead
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Questions about Glasgow
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Oor Wullie
Can anybody remember the name of the street in Townhead that ran across Parson Street, parallel to Stanhope Street and before you came to Glebe Street?.

The 1894 map shows the street but doesn't name it.

It might have been St. Mungo Street but I'm not sure.
Oor Wullie
I would also like to know the name of the street that was last on the left off Parson Street, before Castle Street [ Beside St. Mungo's]
Allan D.Sim
Some street names were altered in 1922. Holmhead Street was renamed Cunningham Street. I'm thinking along lines of Weaver Street, Taylor Street being in vicinity, but mabe I'm too far off the Glebe Street portion you mean. It's been years since I visited that part of Townhead I'm ashamed to say. I'll search on.
lianmy
Oor Wullie I know exactly the streets you are talking about, but for the life of me I can''t remember their names. I use to cross over the one that ran parallel with Stanhope St everyday to get to school.
We lived right next door to St Mungo's boy's school and we use to play in the spare ground in this street also.
I also use to go to a shop in the other street for my granny to get her stockings.
I will ask my mother and see if she can remember the names of these streets.
Allan D.Sim
You may be correct at the road name. According to an online map which I seen today, it was St Mungo's Street. I was not far away with Taylor/Weaver Street vicinity! They are just south of this. Just wondering, does Bartholomew have online maps? I have some where in my room an earlier Glasgow map and the Kingston Bridge is "under construction". Regarding a further search either online or tying Mitchell Library or visiting area, I cannot be sure of other street name. The link to old map i looked at is: http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/townp...w_2_centre.html . Hope this assists.
Oor Wullie
Allan,

I'm sure now that it was St. Mungo's Street and I'm almost sure that the last street on the left off Parson's Street [before Castle Street] was Martyr's Street.

Your map was interesting since it seems to pre - date Stanhope Street [ where I was born and grew up] which appears on the 1894 map.

Thanks for your help.
kentzo
I think the name of the street is Martyr Street as referenced in the following link - http://www.roystonroadproject.org/archive/...gad_royston.htm
sumac
Oor Wullie, the street was, indeed, Martyrs Street. My gran lived at no. 3, two up, and my dad's parents lived about no. 19(?).

My family lived just round the corner from them at no. 40 Parson Street, and we shared the same backcourt with my gran.

On the corner of the two streets was a shop called Carruth's Grotto which sold all things Catholic, due to the very close proximity to St. Mungo's Church and Academy, as well as the Priests' House (Seminary?).
jane b
Oor Wullie,
I'm not sure if you ever cleared this up but just came across this posting - I have a map of Glasgow from the 1960s and there's no doubt that the street you refer to is St. Mungo.
Oor Wullie
I did clear it up, but many thanks to jane b all the same.

I can't believe I forgot the name of this street considering how many tmes I played in it but, on the other hand, it wasn't yesterday rolleyes.gif
Guest mags *
the street between stanhope st. & glebe st. was St Mungo St

The other street you asked for was Martyr St
MissT
I lived on Roystonhill with my parents and 4 siblings.. My mother died and we were shipped off to Quariers Homes in Bridge of Weir.. I attended St Rollox school for a couple of years.. Not many memories from that time.. I am now in Australia and have a great life. a lovely hubby and 5 kids from 18 to 31..
dave
anybody remember baird st before the motorway got constructed.black st playpark, taxi garage,the polis canteen ,that clinic?, gleebe st , we lived at 9 baird stClick to view attachment
weelew
I remember playing in the the swing park and remember hearing about that clinic you mention.
dave
QUOTE (weelew @ 18th Nov 2008, 04:54pm) *
I remember playing in the the swing park and remember hearing about that clinic you mention.

im new to this site , its nice to chat to someone fae the toonheid ..lol
weelew
QUOTE (dave @ 24th Nov 2008, 08:58pm) *
im new to this site , its nice to chat to someone fae the toonheid ..lol

Where in the Townhead do you come from Dave.
Wee May
I'm posting this on behalf of my mum. Does anyone remember Garden Street in Townhead? She was born there in 1947 and lived there for several years. It never seems to be mentioned anywhere. She remembers that there was only 5 closes on Garden Street, 3 on one side, two on the other. The neighbouring Streets were Weaver St, Paul St and Taylor St. I would appreciate any information.
Heather
May, husband was born and raised in Townhead and can't remember a street called Garden Street. He does remember the other streets you mentioned.
kmacc

garden st is/was a short street between paul and weaver sts theyre off rottenrow
Wee-Sprokit
QUOTE (sumac @ 26th Nov 2006, 09:05pm) *
Oor Wullie, the street was, indeed, Martyrs Street. My gran lived at no. 3, two up, and my dad's parents lived about no. 19(?).

My family lived just round the corner from them at no. 40 Parson Street, and we shared the same backcourt with my gran.

On the corner of the two streets was a shop called Carruth's Grotto which sold all things Catholic, due to the very close proximity to St. Mungo's Church and Academy, as well as the Priests' House (Seminary?).

My Granny lived in Martyrs St many years ago, cant remember the number though? her name was Mcleish!!!
klingon
QUOTE (dave @ 17th Nov 2008, 12:50am) *
anybody remember baird st before the motorway got constructed.black st playpark, taxi garage,the polis canteen ,that clinic?, gleebe st , we lived at 9 baird st

I remember those big sheds on the other side of the road there being a sort of joinery factory making packing cases etc-the canal was right behind them and just out of view is the wee opening bridge to the coal rees and the Pinkston railway sidings-we used to play on the steam cranes left there overnight!-if ye put some more coal in the firebox sometimes the crane would raise steam and run back and forward with wee boys in control!
dave
QUOTE (weelew @ 24th Nov 2008, 10:02pm) *
Where in the Townhead do you come from Dave.

i lived in 9 baird st , right across from the sawmills .
peachey
god tae talk about townhead and all the great memories of the 60s-70s would take pages but being young then and running around from the bottom of high st to the canals would be unheard of nowadays?? but that wiz ne and na mates what a life..this forum brings it all back yet every day i have a good memory of my youth from being born in the rottonrow in 1964 being brought up facing into the back of the swingpark behind townheid swimming just of cathedral street were ma dad
alex peachey had a sweetie and news agents shop next to mossmans monumental sculptures..
he worked hard in his wee shop opening at 5 in the morning just for the rolls for the nurses and ambulance men fae the royal and the rottonrow.he gave up the shop around 1980 due to the demolition to make way for a new clydsdale bank ..yep memories of living at parson street near the flats im sure our block was the last to get demolished just at the back of collinses building next to were i went to school at st davids primary however being the youngest in the family the rest of my brothers and sisters went to city public allan glens and some other school i cant remember?
the shiney tar road near st mungos chapel and the cafe across from the royal,black street swings at 5 year old i knew the clinic was for the dodjy spots between yer legs lol..
playing on a tarzy fae the tree under the bridge that goes over to the nacropolise grave yard..
playing in manky water in the flooded back greenies or back courts to some people..makin dens oot of the solid wooden doors oot of the empty buildings that would now be worth a fortune if ye saved them up for the listed buildings,,oh and lets not forget playin in the midgie bins..does anyone remember ma dads shop ? askin for the penny or hapenny tray and pickin sweeties fae them or gettin one of his home made jubillies fae orange juice in a plastic cup with two looly sticks in it ,,what a seller after the swimmin in the summer..ma dad was well known for givin oot tick ,that being exchange of goods on credit in good faith usualy fags tobacco juce rolls papars sometimes even money which in later life i found out he never realy had money in all the time he ran the shop for 20 years..i have many more memories and answers to townhead area in which to me was the best place in the world to have been brought up in..
peachey
QUOTE (Wee May @ 26th Dec 2008, 09:21pm) *
I'm posting this on behalf of my mum. Does anyone remember Garden Street in Townhead? She was born there in 1947 and lived there for several years. It never seems to be mentioned anywhere. She remembers that there was only 5 closes on Garden Street, 3 on one side, two on the other. The neighbouring Streets were Weaver St, Paul St and Taylor St. I would appreciate any information.

did the street have a big empty metal type factory /garage that you could sneek into and play it was at the top of the swing park that had the big green hut that hosted the auld guys club??the swings were good for bronkowing,flicking the swing over your head to see if u could rap itr over the bar you must all remember doing that and runny unders ???comon you do remember doin stupid things like that.....???
Rabbie
Jings, wit a nice wee thread, dunno how I missed this wan for all this time! Some wee hidden gems around.!

So, so, so close to hame all this is, my G/Grandparents, lived in Parson St (92), around 1900's. No shure which pub was the nearest, but I'll find oot. Might have been The Broons Bar!

Peachy, I remember yer Da's shop very well, used to nip it to on the way back frea the baths in Collins St!. Remember The Red Rooster at end of Cathedral St, used to do rare chips in there. I loved aw the wee shops and cafes around the place, was so full of life them. Weans oot playing at all hours without a care in the world. Changed days, an some changes are noo fur the better either.

Mossman is no there noo, but it has moved to a wee place in High St, it in a shop which was I tink was Clyde Books.

Garden St, like most of Auld Toonhied was lost in 60's / 70's, I think it was up right hand side of Weaver St, which still had working gas lights in very early 70's! There was a wee swing park and I think it was just up past it. Prolly under Strathclyde Uni noo. Think it ran between Weaver st and Taylor St up the tap near Rottonrow. I think I might have a 60's pic of that area, I will ferret aroond and see if I can find it.

I could ramble aon fur hours!

Gezzus, as for the tarrzy near the Bridge of Sigh, in Wishart St, what a backdrop! Spent hoors on that wi all my pals. Dunno if tree is still there, think it fell doon.
Tennscot
Here`s one Does anyone remember Morrin Sq. I know but do you.????
27stowst
I had a pal, Jean Taylor, who's Granny stayed there.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
patsy113
oor wullie it was St mungo`s st. the back gate to St Mungo`s came out on to it
good luck Patsy
patsy113
The clinic was for S.T.D. Problems caused by the ladies of the night who plied their trade around the red light district in St Vincent St. and Blythwood Sq. IE. the coffee stalls in 1940s thru the 50s and 60s I could tell you all some stories from that era after the great war 39/45. Ilived in Montrose St. 1940 till 1964 and I`m now 70 years of age.
weelew
As Billy Connelly once said {honest im a joiner and i work here} rolleyes.gif
27stowst
How very sexist Patsy. Ah'm surprised, shocked and stunned!! Wiz it no' mebbe the guys who used the services of the ladies of the night who spread the STD's?? Aw they hud tae dae wiz go tae the barber's and answer aye tae the question "Something for the week-end sir?" It was unseemly for ladies, even ladies of the night, tae be seen buying french letters! rolleyes.gif wink.gif
TeeHeeHee
I remember taking a gf to Black Street when I came home on a weekend from the RAF. She had got a letter from a mutual friend, (a submariner, who had returned to Singapore after HIS leave) telling her he had a STD.
She thought I must have passed it to her, who passed it to him !
I waited outside by the taxi while she went in.
"Are you no' gonny git checked oot tae?" she asked.
When she came out she was beaming from ear to ear. " I'm clean".
" Good. And I'm off. Here's a couple of bob for your bus," then I took the taxi up to the train station and headed back to base.
She hadn't understood that the guy was telling her after he'd had his fun.
I always remembered Billy Connelly after that one. wacko.gif
klingon
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 2nd Jul 2009, 07:29pm) *
Jings, wit a nice wee thread, dunno how I missed this wan for all this time! Some wee hidden gems around.!

So, so, so close to hame all this is, my G/Grandparents, lived in Parson St (92), around 1900's. No shure which pub was the nearest, but I'll find oot. Might have been The Broons Bar!

Peachy, I remember yer Da's shop very well, used to nip it to on the way back frea the baths in Collins St!. Remember The Red Rooster at end of Cathedral St, used to do rare chips in there. I loved aw the wee shops and cafes around the place, was so full of life them. Weans oot playing at all hours without a care in the world. Changed days, an some changes are noo fur the better either.

Mossman is no there noo, but it has moved to a wee place in High St, it in a shop which was I tink was Clyde Books.

Garden St, like most of Auld Toonhied was lost in 60's / 70's, I think it was up right hand side of Weaver St, which still had working gas lights in very early 70's! There was a wee swing park and I think it was just up past it. Prolly under Strathclyde Uni noo. Think it ran between Weaver st and Taylor St up the tap near Rottonrow. I think I might have a 60's pic of that area, I will ferret aroond and see if I can find it.

I could ramble aon fur hours!

Mebbe Gillilands bar in Parly road was closer-the Broons wiz at 10 Glebe st-(hence the name) a bit further up-ma gran worked in Gillilands efter her day job-a beer taster in the Scottish Caledonian brewery!-funny she wiz always grinnin from ear to ear-wunner why?

Gezzus, as for the tarrzy near the Bridge of Sigh, in Wishart St, what a backdrop! Spent hoors on that wi all my pals. Dunno if tree is still there, think it fell doon.

patsy113
Yes Tennscot I remember Morrin Sq. It was near the townhead baths, do you remember the boiler house at the back of the baths my brother George was engaged to a girl who lived there. In one of
the posts earlier I noticed a street name Paul st I can`t remember this street correct me if I`m wrong I will get in touch with relations an Aunt in Taylor st a cousin Pat Kirwan and family in Gardiner st. The Cross Keys Pub was on Rotten Rd. before you turned into GardenSt.
I`ll get back to you soon I just love talking about Townhead keep coming with more info God Bless To All of you no matter where you are I`m in Donegal Ireland Pat Doyle
patsy113
Yes Tennscot found the name of my brothers ex Fiance Reene Mc Gloughlin from Morrin Sq. hope u remember this young lady as she was then, she was natural blonde about 5 feet in hieght and very well endowed cheers Pat Doyle.
patsy113
Yes 27 stow st
You are correct the poor young ladies of the night they where not aware of what little surprises they picked up along the way. In my post I said I would tell u some tales of Townhead in the 40s. 50s. and 60s.
Do u remember the corner of Cathedral St. and Grafton St. there used to be a Billett there for American Seamen From when the yanks entered the war in 1942/43 until the mid 50s they were based in Dunoon which could cater for their aircraft carriers. Now along with the S.T.D. problems thease guys left behind them little bundles of joy also they were in all colors, and
I grew up with them also went to school with them. U see the yank would promise all the women
oh yes they would take them back the States to a life of a lovely house and riches and they would want for nothing. I know of two familys in Townhead who went to school with me from start to finish they hoped the American father would arrive back to spirit them to the states u know the rest. IE the next chapter will cover the era of the Merchant seaman of that time. Ps. the poor kids it wasn`t their fault what happened. Good Night And God Bless. Patsy
Jill C
QUOTE (sumac @ 26th Nov 2006, 08:16pm) *

We are currently trying to research our family tree, I see that your dad's parents' lived at number 19 Martyr Street Glasgow as our grand parents did in the 1920's-30's? and our dad was born. Their names were Thomas and Helen Hamilton (nee Joynes) and had five children. If you can give me any information about them or any surviving relatives you may be aware of we would be very grate ful Many thanks.

My email address is jilliancole@googlemail.com
thomas.gallagher12
Hi I was born in Glebe St no 44 across from St Mungos Primary it had a large water tank in the playyard in case any Bombs did any damage There was a chemist on the corner of Parson St across on the opposite coner wasCappuccini Chip shop then Blacks paper shop then Jonnie Blairs then the Butchers and a pub on the corner this would be Mc Auslin St.
jandyjaws
QUOTE (dave @ 17th Nov 2008, 12:20am) *
anybody remember baird st before the motorway got constructed.black st playpark, taxi garage,the polis canteen ,that clinic?, gleebe st , we lived at 9 baird stClick to view attachment

hi dave, came across this photo.wow ,what memories.i lived in couper street at the other end of baird st. before you came to dobbies loan. my auntie mary owned mcmillans dairy ,the wee shop at the corner of couper st. and kennedy st.. i used to " go " wi a lassie just where the woman wi the bairn is in your photo.her name was irene massey. she was also my sisters friend. my mate stayed round the corner in black st.. jim mcpherson.
jandyjaws
QUOTE (peachey @ 19th Jun 2009, 01:43am) *
god tae talk about townhead and all the great memories of the 60s-70s would take pages but being young then and running around from the bottom of high st to the canals would be unheard of nowadays?? but that wiz ne and na mates what a life..this forum brings it all back yet every day i have a good memory of my youth from being born in the rottonrow in 1964 being brought up facing into the back of the swingpark behind townheid swimming just of cathedral street were ma dad
alex peachey had a sweetie and news agents shop next to mossmans monumental sculptures..
he worked hard in his wee shop opening at 5 in the morning just for the rolls for the nurses and ambulance men fae the royal and the rottonrow.he gave up the shop around 1980 due to the demolition to make way for a new clydsdale bank ..yep memories of living at parson street near the flats im sure our block was the last to get demolished just at the back of collinses building next to were i went to school at st davids primary however being the youngest in the family the rest of my brothers and sisters went to city public allan glens and some other school i cant remember?
the shiney tar road near st mungos chapel and the cafe across from the royal,black street swings at 5 year old i knew the clinic was for the dodjy spots between yer legs lol..
playing on a tarzy fae the tree under the bridge that goes over to the nacropolise grave yard..
playing in manky water in the flooded back greenies or back courts to some people..makin dens oot of the solid wooden doors oot of the empty buildings that would now be worth a fortune if ye saved them up for the listed buildings,,oh and lets not forget playin in the midgie bins..does anyone remember ma dads shop ? askin for the penny or hapenny tray and pickin sweeties fae them or gettin one of his home made jubillies fae orange juice in a plastic cup with two looly sticks in it ,,what a seller after the swimmin in the summer..ma dad was well known for givin oot tick ,that being exchange of goods on credit in good faith usualy fags tobacco juce rolls papars sometimes even money which in later life i found out he never realy had money in all the time he ran the shop for 20 years..i have many more memories and answers to townhead area in which to me was the best place in the world to have been brought up in..

hi peachey, some geat memories there. i went to city public wi your brother alex..also remember henry.infact if you look at photos of city public on friends reunited on my profile i put a class photo in and alex is there. was in your house many times but cant remember you,although you were 9 years younger than alex and i.can still see him playing guitar at the school chritsmas dance with his band.i lived in couper st. which was next to dobbies loan and off kennedy st. my auntie mary owned the mcmillans dairy at the corner of kennedy st. and couper st.. those were the days stuart mcmillan
john scott
I lived at 135 parson st the pub at the corner of parson st & stanhope st was the parsons rest> I think it would be the closest to the 90,s
292 kennedystreet
[size="6"][/size] I can remember the playpark also the taxi garage trying to think what it was called before patons took it over I stayed in 292 kennedy street next close to the mcmillans what about the lister street bowling green.
*charles gillan*
QUOTE (john scott @ 25th Apr 2010, 11:58pm) *
I lived at 135 parson st the pub at the corner of parson st & stanhope st was the parsons rest> I think it would be the closest to the 90,s

the pub at parson st stanhope st was called lyburns bar i lived in stanhope st across from bradburns stable long time ago charlie gillan
albageorgia
I lived in glebe about 1963/4 street right across from fanny blairs paper shop, ah think it was number 86, just along from my close you had a barber shop, it had one of them red and white stripe poles above the shop, then there was a bookies on the corner of glebe street and macaslin street, ah kin remember looking in the bookies and seeing tony m marking the board, me and my pals used to play waw ay, [thats how it was pronounced] against st mungos chapel, there was an arch in the wall and it is still there today, i went to st davids, then the city public, we used to go to the red rooster for oor pie chips and peas some dinner times, i was in the BBs 23rd brigade, there used to be an old guy who would sing in the back courts on a sunday afternoon and some people would throw money out of their window , I think there might have been a pawn shop in the corner close of macaslin street, ther was a doctors in glebe street as well just up from the broons pub, when you went in to the doctors you had to say who,s last so as you would know when you were going to see the doctor, when the townhead was gettin demolished ah moved to the ranza,
charles gillan
QUOTE (john scott @ 25th Apr 2010, 11:51pm) *

hi john i lived at 37 stanhope st at parson st am sure it was called lymburns pub in the 1950s used to get my dad out it so we could get our pie suppers on a friday night nice to find someone so close to where i lived my name is charlie gillan
*salfordles*
Garden Street ran between Taylor Street and Weaver Street. There was also a street which ran off Garden Street down to Cathedral Street. Don't know the name but there was a coal ree on the right where I often filled our pram when my Mammy couldn't afford a full bag from the coalman. That was quite often.
dlfp
hello,

I'm researching my grandmother Gibson's past. She was born in St Mungo Street (39), Townhead (1915) and would have gone to school here. Can anyone tell me which school she would most likely have attended or at least narrow it down to a couple? Her name was Helen and she had four older siblings, Mary, William, Margaret and James. The parents were called William and Margaret Gibson.
Margaret Harley
I lived in Montrose St. Went to st Mungos Primary. I see they have changed the name of Montrose St to Allan Glen Drive or something like that. Mr Cherry's shop was on Cathederal St. beside the coblers and the licenced grocer we spent our thrupence pocket money on penny lollies and sweets in Mr Cherrys and in Taylor St. you could get a penny's worth of crisps, she would open the bag and make a cone out of paper and fill it with crisps for a penny.For sixpence you could get a bowl of peas in the café and put lashings of vinegar on them - yummy. Black St swings had a big slide. I loved Townhead it was full of nice people.
Elizabeth H
I lived between two houses in townhead, my granny's at 119 Kennedy Street, and my mum/dad/sister's house in 23 Martyr Street, I sometimes go back into town just to wander around the old haunts. My mother moved to Grafton Place when the houses were being demolished.

You could come through the close from Martyr Street on to Parly Road, there was a clothes shop on one side straight across from Gizzi's and Curley's grocers shop which normally had a queue down the street especially on a saturday, there was also Camilla's hairdressers, across the road there was a great leather shop which sold schoolbags/cases etc, next to that was the bagwash which was run by a really nice Polish man, next door was a book shop? My gran used to send me in to get detective magazine's which were stamped and had to be taken back by a certain date, I never realised until years later that it also dealt in dodgy magazines (probably mild compared to what is even in the papers today), I remember going for the messages with my gran and saying hello to quite a few men, she was quite shocked and asked me how I knew them, when I told her so innocently they went into the magazine shop I was never sent again.

My favourite was Valerio's ice cream cafe, and Romeo who had a wee grocer's shop, there was also the Co-operative in Glebe Street, which organised day trips to the seaside, parties in the hall at Christmas, also at election time we would all clamber on the the open top lorry which was decorated with bunting and be driven round the streets. During the summer holiday's the older children rounded up all the younger one's and we would all be told which part we were going to play in the show that they were organising, it usually took place in the back court with a makeshift stage, some of the parents/granny's/aunts baked and we sold cakes/drinks at the interval, the money made from the show was then used for an open air party before we went back to school.
weelew
I notice on the post by Elizabeth h the name of Valerios. I was born in the Townhead and stayed in Stirling road ,on the corner of Glebe street ,No 57 .The name Valerios rang a bell .I am sure that the doctors we used was called Valerio and the other one in the practice was i think Goodman .They were up around Parley road .Does anyone remember these doctors .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.