Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Secondary Schools
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat
Mrs. Mac
Can anyone tell me please what Secondary School (catholic) you would attend if you lived in Maryhill and Springburn in the 1960's.
gardenqueen
Hi, well I went to St Augustines Secondary in Liddesdale Road, Milton in the 60s. We certainly had pupils from both those areas but I am not sure if that was the only choice.

Hope this helps.

GQ
Mrs. Mac
It does help gardenqueen, thanks for your help.
Dexter St. Clair
St. Mungo's Academy, St. Roch's Secondary were also in existence then. When was All Saints Secondary built?
hudggy
There was also St Columba's Jounior Secondary off Hopehill rd and off Garscube Rd. I know that it came under Maryhill not sure about Springburn. St Rollox maybe for there.
Catherine
Where was St Thomas Aquinas school again? Was that no in Maryhill?
Dexter St. Clair
QUOTE (Catherine @ 26th Apr 2006, 03:59 PM)
Where was St Thomas Aquinas school again? Was that no in Maryhill?

Jordanhill.
magsos
St Augustines,was the only catholic secondary school for the Springburn area,in the 50/60`s
Dexter St. Clair
QUOTE (magsos @ 27th Apr 2006, 12:10 AM)
St Augustines,was the only catholic secondary school for the Springburn area,in the 50/60`s

Unless of course you passed your qually and went to St. Mungo's. Or using what ever version of parental choice existed then you chose to go to St.Roch's so as you could go to your Grannie's for your dinner.

Did any old Springburn residents go to school in Bishopbriggs. Turnbull High?
magsos
Yes Dexter you are correct..I myself went to St Rochs.Somehow i was thinking towards Springburn,and not down to Townhead..sorry.
Isobel
Would Charlotte St (Our Lady & St Francis) not have kids from that area.I am sure when I went there ,some of the girls came from Springburn.
Dexter St. Clair
QUOTE (Isobel @ 27th Apr 2006, 01:25 AM)
Would Charlotte St (Our Lady & St Francis) not have kids from that area.I am sure when I went there ,some of the girls came from Springburn.

Absolutely correct Isobel. Their Brothers would have been at St. Mungo's whilst the sisters would have travelled further south to Our Lady and St. Francis.

Catchment areas did exist , most children went to the nearest school but Senior Secondaries with a good reputation would attract pupils from all over the City.
Targer
To add to Dexter St Clair's comments. It would be a wrong assumption that all pupils from a certain area/location would go/attend the nearest secondary. For example I attended St Gerard's in Govan but we had pupils from Arden which is a long way off.
Catherine
Turnbull High School came into existence my second year of High School Dexter, 1973/4
Until then I think Bishopbriggs R.C. pupils came to St Ninians in Kirkintilloch...because some didn't come back my second year and went to Turnbull which is non denominational.

I believe Douglas Academy in Milingavie opened the same year, as the same thing happened with Milingavie pupils that went to St Ninians.
Heather
Girls from Cowcaddens, Maryhill and I think Springburn were more likely to go to The Convent of Mercy in Garnethill.
toerag
How come the Catholics had so many choices?? The Proddies only had Albert, Colston or Hydepark if you came from the Springburn area!
Heather
Toerag, because we mostly went to all girls schools. Was never in a mixed class in my life. mellow.gif
toerag
Heather, were these all girl schools like a private (paying) school or were they public?
Dexter St. Clair
They were run by the Corporation of Glasgow. Some of the more snobby ones like ST. Aloysius charged a fee for the playing fields or some other scam to make the publicans and bookies feel their weans were getting a private education. Of course if your father was a member of the Jesuits or some other religious order the fees were waived.

Allen Glen's which attracted boys from Springburn also had some sort of token fee.

I do believe that pupils from the city centre schools had some some form of after school club in The Triannon in Sauchiehall Street whilst others preferred Dino's in Buchanan Street. Pupils from St. Mungo's Academy could be found playing sports in The Imperial.

Garnethill Girls had the daftest school hat and of course were more likely to be punished for not wearing it on the way home.

Notre Dame High School is as far as I know the only Council run Secondary School in Scotland which is still single sex.

Notre Dame HS

Garnethill Convent School
Elma
Hillhead was a fee-paying school run by the Corporation of Glasgow. It was a mixed school but the classes were strictly all boys or all girls. School uniform was strictly adhered to including school caps for the boys and hats or berets with the school badge for the girls. I remember the prefects standing at the gates checking that we were properly dressed before entering. Because it was not a catchment area school, pupils came from all over Glasgow. The school fees were not just token and we had to buy all our own books and supplies, nothing for nothing!!
Robert Service attended Hillhead at one time and Stanley Baxter and Gordon Jackson were both F.P.s.
I'm still very proud of my old school. rolleyes.gif
Heather
Toerag, they were non-feepaying schools. Convent of Mercy Primary School was feepaying, but not the Secondary.

St. Josephs Primary School in North Woodside Road that I went to was mixed in the infant school ( till about 6/7yrs of age) but not the Primary. When I started there were only girls in my class. There were separate Primary schools for the girls & boys.

Dexter, would you like to re-phrase that, " if your father was a member of the Jesuits or some other Religious order .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" wub.gif
Dexter St. Clair
Wells spotted, Heather. I can usually get away with dropping that into a conversation. It usually takes about sixty seconds then the penny drops.
Heather
Dexter, I take it when you refer to the Jesuits, you are meaning St. Aloysius College, Garnethill.

Some of the younger boys in our family went to that College.

When one of my nephews started in the College, I asked him if the Jesuits still taugh there, and he replied, " no they are Catholics". My husband and I were fallen about laughing. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.