Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gretna Football Club
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Allan D.Sim
April 1st, 2006.. Yes April Fool's Day. It's not a joke that Gretna FC beat Dundee FC by a 3-0 score to qualify for the Scottish Cup final.Well done to everyone involved. Let's all wish them well for the final on May 13th. If you are planning a runaway wedding, I guess the registrar will be at Hampden too, so cancel for that date.
Elma
Are you kidding, really this is no joke? What league does Gretna play in? If this is true I am excited, I was born 2 miles away from Gretna and love to hear about things that happen down there. I went to school in Glasgow, but was born a "doonhamer" so I claim dual allegiance. What other team is playing in the Cup Final?
Dexter St. Clair
It's true.

Check here for short history and you can listen in to the final on line

BBC Sports

The other semi final is today between Hibernian and Hearts

Hampden

They are in Division two and will be in Division 1 after the summer. They could make the Premiereship in 2007.

Scottish Division 2
iancameron
EMS, they are runnaway leaders of division 2.
wink.gif
hubert
Gretna play Hearts in the final at Hampden May 13 th I believe, Hearts took care of Hibs today 4-0.
If Hearts stay second in the SPL this season at the end, then Gretna will be playing in Europe next season irrespective I believe of who wins the Scottish Cup.
Therefor nae broken hearts in this union, still would like to see Gretna win! smile.gif
davyab44
Poor fella...couldnae keep his eyes dry....an' ah don't blame him.

He must be very proud of his team and rightly so. I have nothing against Hearts but it would be lovely to see Gretna beat them.

Smacks of the movie A SHOT AT GLORY with Ally Mc Coist and Robert Duvall.

Like the man said....You can't write this type of script.
Elma
That was a good movie, Davy. I'm rooting for Gretna, I hope we can at least see clips of the game here, but you know what it's like, only English games seem to be shown with the occasional mention of Rangers or Celtic. I'm relying on you guys to keep us up with the score.
hubert
Gretna 6 Stirling Albion 0, this was played today on the 11th April.
Allan D.Sim
Good news Gretna fans. As Hearts beat Aberdeen 2-0 in second last game of season, it meant they qualified for European Champions League qualifying round for finishing second. This means that win or lose, Gretna are in the UEFA cup. This place would have went to winners of Scottish Cup, but as Hearts are in CL, Gretna get place automatically. Well that was what they said on radio.. Well done Gretna.
Elma
Thanks for the update, and also your other information Allan, I'll give it a try. Still can't believe a tiny place like Gretna has a football team at that level.
Java
Hi Ems, go the black and whites...assured a place in UEFA cup thanks to Hearts....am living a couple of miles from Gretna (but on the wrong side of the border sad.gif )...and follow them closely since my son did youth training there....fantastic effort from everyone at the club - they fully deserve to be there...
carmella
Absolutely terrific for them! biggrin.gif
Java
Jist want tae say good luck tae Gretna fur tomorra.... tongue.gif
carmella
I think it's terrific how well this wee club have done. They're owned and funded by a millionaire who is passionate about them. I saw an interview on tv this morning.

Good luck for tomorrow Gretna! biggrin.gif
davyab44
Aye....GO GRETNA GO.....come away ra boays laugh.gif
Elma
Right on - GO GRETNA GO - my home team wub.gif
stuarty
GETNA NOT ONLY FAMOUS FOR ELOPING BUT FOR FOOTBALL ASWELL A FAIRY STORY AND A HOPE A HAPPY ENDING AND AM NO FOOTBALL CRAZY EITHER NICE THINGS HAPPEN
Allan D.Sim
As I started thread, here is my bit.. All the best to Gretna in the Cup. For the club to get so far is no mean achievement. Rembember Celtic fans, Clyde beat Celtic, Gretna beat Clyde. Now for Rangers fans.. Hibs beat Rangers, Hearts beat Hibs.. So revenge Gretna will beat Hearts to avenge other part of Old Firm. Anyway a prediction... Gretna 2 Hearts 1 after extra time. Enjoy it, this IS YOUR Cup Final.
Java
Slightly off topic, but it's a sad reflection of today's society that local police have warned Gretna residents to take extra home security precautions today as the town will be deserted and ripe for burglaries... sad.gif
stratson
Am not a footy person either, but would it not be nice to see Gretna winning, am rooting for them.
GO, GRETNA, GO...................... biggrin.gif
stuarty
hearts won but gretna won scotlands HEARTS WELLDONE THE UNDER DOGS wub.gif
Elma
Thanks Stuarty, I bet Gretna put up a good fight - oh well as we say in B.C. when the Canucks lose, there's always next year rolleyes.gif
Allan D.Sim
They did put up a good fight ems. It was mainly Hearts in first half, but Gretna fought through to level the game at 1-1. The game went to extra time where it still remained 1-1. The resulting penalty shoot out saw Hearts win 4-2. The official website is http://www.gretnafootballclub.co.uk/home.php, should you want to visit.
norrie123
I enjoyed the cup final and wanted Gretna to win, I knew it wouldnt happen but they will be like breath of fresh air to the first division.
I will as I did this season watch for their results.
What price them being in the premier league soon?

Mind you I will be cursing them if they take points from Rangers tongue.gif
What will we football supporters do till the season starts, just as well we have the CL final on Wednesday and The World Cup starting soon.
I will be in Spain for some of those matches and may have to become an England supporter if I am surrounded by English fans in a bar.

Bye for now, Norrie
carmella
In many ways Norrie I thought it a shame that Gretna didn't win - they played well enough, great pity.

As you say, they were just like a breath of fresh air. I was so pleased for them.

Roll on next season.
norrie123
Hi Carmella, just shows you what an injection of cash can do.
Do you remember when David Murray wanted to take over Ayr United, look at them now.
Roll on next season.
CL tomorrow, away The Gunners biggrin.gif
Bye for now, Norrie
carmella
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 16th May 2006, 10:17 PM)
Hi Carmella, just shows you what an injection of cash can do.
Do you remember when David Murray wanted to take over Ayr United, look at them now.
Roll on next season.
CL tomorrow, away The Gunners biggrin.gif
Bye for now, Norrie

Yes is the short answer Norrie hahaha.

The owner of Gretna is 100% dedicated to that wee club, which, given he's a millionaire of course, greatly helps.

Does money talk?

Yes it does!
Allan D.Sim
I too remember David Murray wanting to take over Ayr United. The may have become a regular feature of top flight footy. If I recall story correctly, after they knocked him back, it was said Lawrence Marlborough wanted money for a building project in USA. So, David Murray got Rangers for around 6 million. correct me if I'm wrong. What the late John Lawrence would have made of it. Anyway.... back to main event. Gretna will be a force in First Division. Reading their forum on the website, the general concensus is Gretna if not promoted by not winning league, or new ground not ready as Raydale Park is not SPL standard, the club will be third or fourth.
Java
Can I add huge congratulations to Gretna who pip St. Johnstone to earn promotion to SPL.....biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Allan D.Sim
Oh Gretna! Well done on your latest success. We all feel sorry for St. Johnstone of course, but I was hoping for Gretna due to the fact they would be first club to win three different division titles. Livingston also climbed to top flight, but not as champions. I was sitting listening to game on BBC Radio Scotland wearing a Gretna cap and football shirt. Nailbiting it was to say the least. To think I only came out of hospital late Friday night.. What a present. For anyone interested, most of BBCRadio Scotland's programmes are available online for a week, try and see if commentary is there. I think Real Player is needed.. One stat I heard was in past three seasons, Gretna played 108 games won 79 of them ans scored 297 goals. This only refers to league of course Yet again, well done Gretna and enjoy the top flight football.
Elma
What fabulous news, Gretna is my home team, I was born 3 miles north of there. I can't believe such a small town has produced such a terrific team. My loyalty was always with Queen of the South, the Dumfries team until Gretna came on the scene. Well done boys, I'll be watching with pride next year. biggrin.gif
norrie123
Well done Gretna.
Some of The Radio Clyde pundits reckon that Gretna will bring nothing to the SPL, no crowds etc.
No doubt that will be the team that they all tip to go back down to the first division, we shall see.
Enjoy the feeling, it is a fary tale, lets hope it has a happy ending.
Bye for now, Norrie
mitchell
This is an interesting challenge by St. Mirren and Dunfermaline regarding Gretna's right to play premier football next year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...tna/6653443.stm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.