Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Springburn Public Baths
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2
GG
Springburn Public Baths and Wash-house opened on 5 April 1898 in Kay Street but they're long gone now and have been replaced by an excellent new swimming facility incorporated into a thoroughly modern sports centre (pictured below).
Click to view attachment

But does anyone remember the old ones which contained a pool of 75 feet by 35 feet along with twenty-eight private baths for men and five for women, as well as thirty-four individual washing stalls in the wash-house? Went for a wee dip in the old one maybe?

GG.
Marion Dougan
Hi Martin,
Remember them...a couldnae swim, a hated gawn tae the baths, a wis a wee skinny thing tae ( wish a wis noo) Your classmates all made fun if you couldn't swim. I just hated it. I only told my Grandaughter this past year that I could not swim. I used to tell her I did not want to get my hair wet when she was young. Definetly did not want her growing up like me. Also made sure my sons could swim before they were 3. Thanks for the post , brought back memories. I cam laugh at now biggrin.gif
Melody
Remember learning to swim in there.....and the penny fritters in the chip shop just outside..... remember the feeling of being not being quite properly dryed....laughing, and carrying the wet swimming costume in your rolled up towel..and wet hair! Happy days for me... Thanks Martin!
Kayleigh
Ah remember Kay street swimming baths well, we lived in Northcroft road in Springburn, an we hud tae go tae the steammie every week wae the washing wae ma mam. Once a week we wid get oor bath their anaw, ah didnae like the bath or the soap, it wis a horrible smell. There wis a chippie next door, an when we aw went tae the swimmin baths we'd come oot an git oor fritters oan a roll. Ah used tae love the steamie, aw the hoosewives gossiping an ye heard things ye wurnae supposed tae hear, speshly aboot their menfolk. In them days the wummen folk really did work hard though. Aye good memories fae Kay st, baths. rolleyes.gif
marlene
I remember Kay St swimming baths, remember getting chucked in at the deep end.
I was born and brought up in Springburn.
Moved down to live in Sussex 30years ago.
Don't often get "up the road"these days, but when I was last there, I hardly recognised the old place.
david lowson
anybody remember the woodside baths
Jan Williams
I too was born and raised in Sprinburn and Kay St baths was a landmark. I remember going to the baths during the school holidays and coming out to get either hot chocolate or chicken soup from the vending machine and if you had enough money left, a roll on fritter. I went to Colston School and before they had their own pool we had to walk into Springburn for our swimming lessons.Eh!!!! those were the days, we had not a care in the world.
marlene
Jan, I went to Colston as well. I left in 1963.
scotslad90
Springburn baths does this ring a few bells.
scotslad90
ok am getting a bit cheeky here -u lassies in this picture.Its the staff at Hoey's but 1920's but u probably guessed that.
scotslad90
Colston -do you lassies remember Mrs Hoey-I never went to school there this was a friend of my mums.
scotslad90
and another old Springburn picture.
anne
Hi to all,my Dad was born and brought up in Springburn, he worked in the railway, Cowlairs (I think it's called). His family lived right accross the road from the railway.He worked there from age 14 untill he died at a young 59. His name was Walter Maclean. We didn't really know his family as we always went to Mum's side, anybody else experience that?

Anne Perth Aussieland cool.gif
maggie wilkie
yes i remember the woodside baths ,went there lots in the sitxties
Jan Williams
Marlene, I left Colston in 1971
Scotlad90 thanks for the photos of Kay Street, thats the "chippy" where we got the rolls and fritters. The photo of Sellyns, my old uncle Herbert swore by that shop that it had the best quality coats. We lived in Reidhouse Street before moving up the Auchinairn Road.
Kayleigh
Hi Jan, I lived round the corner from you in Northcroft road, no 36 top floor single-end, in between the butchers and the barbers. My aunt, uncle and wee cousin lived round the corner in Reidhouse street the first close as you turn into reidhouse street from northcroft road. I went to Albert left in 1971, but knew a lot of people that went to Colston.
Scotslad you've come up trumps again with the photies, the wee chippie where we got our rolls and fritters after the baths, thanks. wink.gif
Jan Williams
Hello Kayleigh,
I couldn't remember if your close was up or down Northcroft Rd,what I do is that there was newsagents on the corner of Riedhouse St and facing that there was the co-op butchers (I think) and wee Albert was behind there, there was a street that ran along side that leading to the school and sort of behind Woolies, no idea what it was called. My Gran lived facing the Boundry Bar in Springburn Rd, my other granny live above the Hawthorn Bar in Hawthorn St, the Possilpark end.
Kayleigh
Hi Jan I lived straight across from the Lorne bar, Lenzie street was also straight across from our close which led to the srap merchants and wee Albert, I'll never forget my first day at the wee Albert. We were the second half of the hill, and just before you turned into Reidhouse street there was the bookies, I think my auntie was number five Reidhouse street. wink.gif
Heather
Hi David, If you are referring to the baths along North Woodside Road then I also remember them. They were our local baths. There were two swimming pools one each for male and female. The boys pool was much bigger than the girls pool. Mixed bathing was allowed in the boys pool on a Friday night, but the girls used to sneak into the big pool on other days because our own pool was so small. Some attendants turned a blind eye but others would chase us back out.
During the School summer holidays we would queue for an hour or more to get in. We would only be in the pool 20minutes then we would be turfed out. It was better to go early morning as you got longer in the pool. The attendants stood around and made sure everyone used the sprays before going into the pool.
There was a small swing park in the same street and we could play there whilst waiting to get into the pool.
They also had the hot baths. They would be very busy on a Friday night/Saturday morning with the adults getting cleaned up for the weekend.
There was also the Steamie and you could go in there through a door in the boys pool area if the attendant had forgotten to lock it.

Memories from the corner of my mind.

smile.gif
jock
Thanks Heather, I too remember the North Woodside Rd. baths. Learned how to swim there. Also remember the steamie and the hot baths, The attendant would use a wrench to turn on the water and run the bath then take the wrench and leave.
Good memories.
Isobel
Does anyone remember the Dennistoun public baths. I remember we would have to line up for ages to get in . You were hardly in when someone would blow the whistle and sure as hell it would be a piece of my clothing being held up ,usually underwear ,so that ment my time was up. Oh but it was worth it .
Jan Williams
Hi Kayleigh, now I remember Lenzie St, just couldn't remember the name. I also remember my 1st day at wee Albert,my dad took me to school and I thought I was so smart in the uniform,my "playpiece" was 2 double digestive biscuits with butter on them. I can remember the boy sitting next to me was someone by the name of Ralph Adamson. The name has always stuck in my head. In those days nothing mattered to us we were all carefree and could play in the streets without being worried about anything. Oh!! We lived in No 27 and left when they started to demolish all the tenements in that area.
kas
Isobel is that Whitevale street baths/steamie off the Gallowgate? my inlaws lived there, it must be all demolished now, I heard theres high flats& many changes, cheers Jess
kas
GG adm; Martin any info on a public baths &swimming in the St; Andrews square area, & perhaps dates, family story that my great grandfather died after an accident, on opening day, Ive tried to find out but no luck, thank you kas
Mercy
Finally, someone mentioned Whitevale Baths...a went there awe the time..whit a great wee place tae swim. Then there wis the Shettleston Baths..anither great place....FRITTERS....furgoat awe aboot them until noo..deeeelicous! Ma mooth is wattering! tongue.gif
jessiemac
Pollokshaws baths was our local swimming pool, I'll bet thats where everyone from Nitshill,househillwood ,priesthill, pollok, maybe, thornliebank, Carnwadric, & Shawlands went to swim, happy memories to all smile.gif
Isobel
Kas thats right Whitevale , some great memories . Mercy also spent lots of happy time at Shettleston Baths.That was years later when we move to Ruchazie.
Mercy
Isobel..at the Shettleston Baths I always remember wondering if the wee fellas could see intae the "dress cubicles" when we the wee lassies were getting intae or ootae oor clothes...Lassies oan the top(second) floor..guys down below. ohmy.gif
Kayleigh
Ah wis talking tae an auld boyfriend fae Springburn last night an he reminded me o the seige that happened in Kay street in the 1960's. Apparantley a man hud hijacked a coal lorry in Cowcaddens an the polis followed him aw the way tae Springburn, the boys were aw playing fitba in the american swings in Springburn when this man came charging through the swings wae a gun an the polis chasing efter him, (ma auld boyfriend an his wee pals still carried oan playing fitba true glaswegian style), the man wis chased tae Kay street up a close an the polis shot him. Any o youse fae Springburn remember this, it wis aboot the mid 1960's.
Teeny
Well Kayleigh, awe's a kin say is ah'm gled a came fae Castlemilk, nice 'n peaceful therr laugh.gif
Kayleigh
Teeny hen never a dull moment in Springburn, ah remember wan Friday night an ah wis cumin hame fae the brownies, ah jist walked in the close tae go up the stairs an ah heard a scuffle looked doon the dunny an sumbudy wis being stabbed ah ran aw the way up the stairs screaming fur ma mammy, next thing the polis wis everywhere, an aw the neighbours were oot tae see whit wais wrang wae me, ah hud the nightmares fur ages an ah didnae go doon the dunny fur ages masel efter that. ohmy.gif
Jan Williams
Hi Kayleigh, I can remember that incident in Kay St, I was about 11 or 12 at the time, hey maybe not as the memory likes to be selective these days, must ask the wee mammy. Where did you go to the brownies, I went to the brownies in the Salvation Army halls in Edgefauld Rd I think it was, the street down at the bottom of Reidhouse St and at the bottom of Northcroft Rd. If the memory is in working order tonight I think there was a derelict movie house somewhere around there. When I was about 7 (I think) there was a big accident there that involved a big truck.
Well I remember the swings in Springburn Rd, do you remember the ones off Edgefauld Rd, we called them the wee swings. Can't remember the streets name. My sister had a bad accident there and we were never allowed to go back.
Teeny
Gawd Kayleigh, nae wunner ye hid nightmares hen. That wid be enuff tae frighten onybiddy, n'er mind a kid. Did ye ever find oot whit happened tae the poor soul?? Ah'd imagine ye'd hiv gein the perpetrator a real fright wi' yer screamin and cood well huv saved the poor victim's life!!

Teeny tongue.gif
Kayleigh
Aye Jan ah remember the salvation army halls, if ma memory's right thats where we went oan a Friday night tae watch the cartoons tant they pit oan fur us weans, popeye, mickey mouse an that. Ah went tae the brownies it the Johnstone church jist across the road fae Sellyns. Ah used ta go tae the wee swings jist aff the Edgefauld road, ah wisnae allowed tae go tae the big swings ah wis too wee tae the croas the road, although ah did withoot ma mam knowing, but wan o the neighbours seen us an telt ma mam an ma da pit me ower his knee an skelpt ma backside raw.
Teeny hen ah didnae hing aboot tae fun oot whit happened, an ma mammy didnae talk aboot things like that in front o us, (she thoat she wis protectin us, too late fur that) ah wiz only 7 years auld it the time. wink.gif
Teeny
Shoor enuff Kayleigh, the parents o' those days dinnae discuss such things wis the weans, bit ah thoat thit ye'd hiv heard awe the neeburs discussing it o'oer the gerdin fence (when ye wur playing tig amongst the clean sheets oot oan the washin' line). rolleyes.gif

Teeny
Kayleigh
Aw Teeny hen, gerden fence, washing line, ye must huv been dead posh, ah didnae know whit a gerden fence wis hen, naw we hud a back yerd wae middens nae washing lines in oor tenements in Northcroft road, it wis doon the steamie wance a week, an it wis only in the school holidays ye goat tae go tae the steamie wae yer maw, an if ye wur lucky ye wid hear aw the wummen gossiping then, if they furgoat ye were there that is. Ah bet ye hud an inside toilet anaw pal. wub.gif
MaryC
Great to be back - love the new look. I remember Woodside baths and Springburn (lived in Possil between the two). My memories of Woodside was in the Summer it was great to go there. If your time was up you could grab your clothes and run outside and join the queue to pay in again. Great times. Do you remember the old woman who lived low down in one of the streets nearby selling toffee apples and table out of her windae? Springburn baths was great for the fritters in the roll fae the chippie.
Kayleigh
Dus oanybudy remember John Carrick Street in Springburn, it wis wan o the streets it the tap o the Northcroft road hill, an dus oanybudy know oanybudy thit used tae live there. wink.gif
Heather
Mary
I remember a woman who used to sell toffee apples out of her kitchen window. I think she lived in either Raglan St. or Lyon St. both off the Garscube road, you could cut through there on to North Woodside Road down where the Woodside Bath were.
The toffee apples were great. We used to knock on her window to ask when they would be ready. They were fresh made everyday. yummy.
donny
remember springy baths well also went tae toonheid remember them
colin weir
QUOTE (Kayleigh @ 3rd Feb 2004, 03:33 PM) *
Dus oanybudy remember John Carrick Street in Springburn, it wis wan o the streets it the tap o the Northcroft road hill, an dus oanybudy know oanybudy thit used tae live there. wink.gif

i lived in john carrick street 1963-1965 no.12 my mate lesley lived across the road.there was a scrap yard at the top of the road,
Tennscot
Grew up in Wellfield St. Went to Kay st Baths at least once a week Swimming and or a bath. Went there with the school too (Albert ) Went tae the Steamie wae mah Mammy tae help her carry the Washing. For a trip on the Red car to Pollockshaws was nearly an all day adventure. Townhead Baths... My kitchen window looked in to it from Morrin Square. After I was Married.My daughters had it a bit easier,weatherwise They done all their swimming in So.,California. I have great memories of Springburn. That Vibrant Springburn no longer exists. Sad in so many ways.
David Aitken
I distinctly remember and have fond memories of the public baths in Kay St.
I was a member of the St Rollox swimming club that used the baths every Monday evening from 9pm to 10pm (if memory serves me right), along with school friends who were also members.
On your way home, the first stop would be the "chippie" in Kay St for the "must have" bag of chips and a couple of onions.
Albert school also used the baths for a period of time.
This all happened in the late fifties and early sixties.
pauline liddell
QUOTE (colin weir @ 23rd Dec 2007, 04:47 PM) *
i lived in john carrick street 1963-1965 no.12 my mate lesley lived across the road.there was a scrap yard at the top of the road,

i was born in john carrick street in 1969 i was in the tenement flat top floor i have been trying to get information as i left when i was two when it got knocked down.
wellfield
QUOTE (pauline liddell @ 25th Feb 2008, 03:38 PM) *
i was born in john carrick street in 1969 i was in the tenement flat top floor i have been trying to get information as i left when i was two when it got knocked down.
There is mention of John Carrick St on oldspringburn.wetpaint.com it's about the earlier history when Springburn was a vibrant area, Good Luck.
Alan Mac
QUOTE (Kayleigh @ 3rd Feb 2004, 03:25pm) *

My Grandparents lived on one of the top flats (Macrae) and I had an Uncle that lived over the road with his guard dog for school that was gettin built at the time. There was also a couple on ground floor (Simpson) who`s son was on Celtic`s books at the time. I was only about 11 or 12 years pld when the flat`s were knocked down but I just remember everyone that lived there being really friendly.
pauline liddell (ross)
i was born in john carrick st in november 69 stayed their till i was 2 then they pulled it down we moved then down to charles st
pauline liddell
thanks wellfield will have a look
Alex Gardner
I used to visit aunts and uncles in John Carrick Street in the 1950s and recall that it was a steep street leading down to the Co-op dairy at the bottom - I guess Springburn Road. There were at least 3 generations of the family whose name was Fulton lived in the street. I surmise it was knocked down for the shopping centre - nothing Goggled confirms this but it is obvious fro the old maps.
shepherd
QUOTE (marlene @ 12th Dec 2003, 10:47pm) *
I remember Kay St swimming baths, remember getting chucked in at the deep end.
I was born and brought up in Springburn.
Moved down to live in Sussex 30years ago.
Don't often get "up the road"these days, but when I was last there, I hardly recognised the old place.

a moved away from springburn some 25yrs ago lived at the big house across from gospel hall adress was 24 springvale terrace
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.