Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Family Research
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Family History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
RonD
I used to say that I have a hobby but I have owned to fact that it is an obsession. Is there anyone else who has thought about tracing their family? I think there a few out there who have done so . so ithought this could a forum for exchange of ideas of questions.

Step one, have a look at your Scottish birth certificate
It should tell you the following.
1. where and when the birth was registered.
2. name of the child and gender.
3. where and when it was born as well as usual residence of the registree.
4. name of the father (if known) and his occupation.
5. name of the mother and her maiden surname if changed by marriage.
6. an important item that is only found on Scottish birth certificates is where and when the parents were married.

This a key element that lets you search the marriage.of the parents.

I will gladly add items if there is any questions or interest out there.

Ron
Lennox
Rdem , this is also a "Hobby" of mine in truth it does become an obsession, but I love it doing the research. I have done this on & off over the past 30yrs, never get tired of it and found some great info.
RonD
Good to hear Lennox,. I have been at it since 1974 too. I get lulls but never lose interest. So how far back are your lines and from where.
My paternal side is all famine and pre famine Irish. My maternal side are all from Kincardineshire and Aberdeenshire and a few in Angus shire
Lennox
I must have the most secretive, family I know of , mum's side won't talk, dad was an only child ( with lots of cousins) so it has been a hard road. both sides are from Glasgow Temple and some links to Paisley, I have gone back 1842 so far and waiting for stuff to come now.
Great hobby but very slow moving
RonD
Yes it does have it slow moments but it's like a big jigsaw puzzle sometimes you have to go away from i to see the next step.

What avenues have you used in your research Lennox?
Have you used www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?
Lennox
What avenues have you used in your research Lennox?
Have you used www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

Rdem so sorry I thought I replied to this seems not, yes I have tried this but I do a lot of mine the old way sending to Edinburgh for copies etc, I also use the mormon church they keep great records, and to be honest I like digging through old papers...
weesue
Hi Rdem and Lennox
I am also researching my family tree. Using www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

I have got stuck trying to trace my maiden name, because my Father was an only son and his father only had a sister and his father came from Ireland (Don't know where)? I am one of five sisters, so end of the line there!
I have been tracing my paternal Grandmother's maiden name and got as far back as 1794 and have been in touch with a long distant relative in Ireland whose GG Grandfather was the brother of my GGG Grandfather... Phew!

I have put my whole family tree on http://www.genesconnected.co.uk/genesreunited.asp

And this is where I am getting contacts from...
I have also been researching my mother's maiden name and have got back to 1798... and have had contacts from Zimbabwe and Surrey... It's all consuming at times eh!

You do have to take a break now and again tho'...

And then you get the bug again... biggrin.gif
I am waiting on a document of my GGG Grandfather's marriage and I can't wait to get it to see what it reveals...
Most of my family on both sides came from Ireland, and moved to the Calton area of Glasgow, although my Grandmother was born in Edinburgh...
My wee Granny just died last year, she was 96 and I got some oral stories from her but not enough as she was a little confused for a few years... So it really is important for the kids to talk to their Grannies and Grandfathers eh!

Take care...
Paul Kelly
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

I agree weesue. The above website is very useful and free of charge! When you first go on to this website it is best to click on the "International Genealogical Index" which appears on the left hand side of the page.
weesue
Well said Paul!
It is important to go to the IGI index first...
Still not got the document thru the post yet from
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.aspx mad.gif
Paul Kelly
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
is also a very useful website but you need to have your credit card handy.

I am particularly interested in my ancestors who stayed in the Garngad district of Glasgow. I have looked up many old Glasgow birth, marriage and death certificates and old census records on the above website. In the 1870s Garngad was classified as being part of the Springburn district of Glasgow. In the 1880s it was classified as being part of the St Rollox/Townhead district of Glasgow. In the 1890s it was classified as being part of the Dennistoun district of Glasgow. The old Garngad or Garngadhill district (now known as Royston or Roystonhill) was in fact sandwiched between all 3 of the above areas. It wasn't until the early 1900s that Garngad/Garngadhill started apearing as a distinct area on BMD certificates and census records.
Chookie
Hello a' you fellow family-tree huggers. Ah'm addicted too and find it a lovely hobby. I think the Scotlandspeople website is an amazing resource; only thing better is sitting at a table in Register House, Edinburgh....too true about the old credit card being handy. I justify my excess swiping with the thought if the folk Ah'm checkin' out were here today, Ah'd be spending the money having a nice lunch wi' them! Ach ye can justify murder if ye've a mind, kin ye no'?

I agree with Paul that the Family Search is another terrific resource. When I started out, I got some good information from it and made contact with a wee second cousin in Australia. But I soon learned not to totally trust the information that's posted from other than official bodies. It can be grossly inaccurate...so use it to get you in the right direction but verify whatever you find through Scotlands People or such.

I find that the Census records are amazing "warehouses" of information....I can get lost in them for hours!

Happy digging!
RonD
I seem to have missed these last few posts. I am glad to see so many have the same interest as myself.
As we know it 's great to find people who share the interest but after thirty years I finally found family who are interested. You know what's it like when you mention this to family it's either:
"ah'm no interested or let me know when you get more!!"
This last year I contacted a first cousin who has become very interested and even more exciting is her 20 year old granddaughter can't get enough info . I am thrilled to see such a young person take on the mantle of family hsitorian.
RonD
I have very little actual Glasgow ancestry. They are Patrick O'Donnell (dock labourer, son of Manus O'Donnell and Catherine Gallocher)who married Eliza Dougan (daughter of James Dougan and Eliza Moor)) in 1856 on Portugal Street, Gorbals. He died in 1867. I believe this was his second marriage. I can't find anything on his first wife. He is listed on the 1861 with a 13 year old daughter named Catherine. My immediate ancestor was his daughter Mary later known as Mary Jane, she was born in 1861 at 62 Rumford St. Glasgow who married Neil Bonar (coal miner) in 1881 at Johnstone, Renfrewshire. Mary Jane had two other sisters, Eliza and Helen. On the 1861 census there was listed a 4 yearold Jane Waddell as an adopted daughter as well as a boarder name Jane Dougan, presumably Eliza's sister.

What about yours? Who knows who is connected to who!
Paul Kelly
Hi rdem.

O'Donnell, Gallacher, Bonar and Dougan are names long associated with County Donegal. The links between Glasgow and Donegal are very strong.
Gallacher is in fact the most common surname in Donegal. The O'Donnells were the ruling family in Donegal in pre-Plantation times. (I am sure you have heard of 'Red' Hugh O'Donnell.)
Bonar is the anglicized version of the Gaelic Irish surname Crampsey. The Bonar/Crampsey surname first appeared in Donegal around the 11th century.
My father's ancestors are nearly all from County Donegal. In fact, I know that my greatgreatgrandmother was an Eleanor (Ellen) Bonar from Callan, Drumkeen, parish of Convoy, Donegal.
My family tree appears on this family history forum under the topic 'Have you ever been across the sea to Ireland?' started by you.

You may encounter a major problem if you try searching for your Donegal ancestors. Catholic births, marriages and deaths were not registered in County Donegal prior to 1864! You can only find Protestant BMDs prior to this date.

All the best,

Paul
weesue
As I have said I have been researching my family tree for a long time now and have discovered that both sides of the family came from Ireland and both seemed to end up in the Calton/Bridgeton area of Glasgow.
I have paid for a lot of printed documents from:-
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
The documents that you get from this site are just a record of, and not the full certificates. So on the records you often find other people's names and details and I think someone could be looking for these details and I have them already...
It would save them paying for the same details...
So I am going to post a list of names, knowing that there is a very small chance that anyone on the Glasgow Guide could have a connection... But you never know, eh!
So if you recognise a name and it tallies up with a date then you can get in touch and maybe you could be on the beginings of your own Genealogy!
Sorry but some of the hand written names just can not be made out, so I have had to guess!

Here goes:-
1857, Marriage, Calton Area,
John Robb, age 31, Govan St, Engine Fitter
Elizabeth Hellon,? 31, Govan St
------------------------------------------------------------
1851 Census Trongate Glasgow
George Graham, age 31, ? maker, Born England
Susan Graham, age 31, Born England
George Graham, age 7 Born England
Elizabeth Graham, age 1 Born England
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1866 Census Trongate Glasgow
Alexander McDonald. age 44. City Porter. Born Lanark
Janet McDonald, age 42, Muslin Sewer, Born Glasgow
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1866 Marriage Blythewoods Glasgow
James Leslie, (Widower), age 31, Burnside St Glw, Mason Journeyman
Martha Clough, age 30 Burnside St,
---------------------------------------------------------------
1898 Marriage Calton area
John Neilly, age 20, Wood turner, Halvern(?) Place
Maggie Sheilds, age 18, French Polisher, Halvern Pl
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1861 Census Glasgow
East Rose St, James McFarlane, age 22, Edge Steel maker, Born Ireland
East Rose St, Ann McFarlane, 21, Born Lanarkshire
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of the hand writing is illegible, so might not make sense...
The family names in my family tree are:-
Casey, Conly, Connelly, Croal, Cummiskey, Dingwall, Duffy, Gilliland, Holmes, Kelso, McKean, Morrison, Roache, Sproul, Turbitt, Williamson and Young.

Feel free to get in touch about anything mentioned above
weesue
Gallusbisom
Wee Sue,
What a great idea to post the "excess" stuff from the records we have obtained. We have been researching both sides of the family for years now and are now up to aprox. 2000 names and dates. But, as has been mentioned, sometimes you just don't have the time to devote to the research. We had not been actively pursuing it for the last few months when out of the blue on Monday evening we got a call from Nova Scotia. Someone with just an interest in their own surname had been looking through our family web page and it turns out that they are a 3rd (?)cousin- related through one of the ggg. grandparents that we had, more or less run into a dead end with. (No pun intended) We were on the phone for ages and the info. is invaluable and there is documentation too. My mother-in-law, who is 90 past, can't wait to hear what all we find about her g grandmother.

Time permitting, I will try and post the extra info. from any certs. etc. I have, if there is an interest. I also have some stuff from England, mainly the Portsmouth, Southhampton areas. GB
Java
This is a great idea...I have info from the Condorrat, Cumbernauld, Kilsyth, Kirkintilloch, Coatbridge areas as well as a little from Govan. Haven't managed to get as many names as you Gallus.. biggrin.gif ...anyone any idea of how to carry on the line when there is an apparent illegitimate child in it?
weesue
Wow GB 2000 names!
I thought I was doing well with 200!

It can be so time consuming, choosing to do what I have done, and that is not all of the documents that I have... So you would really have to dedicate a day at a time to do it... And It is a small world sometimes.
Someone, somewhere could be watching this topic and hey presto!

I find the same thing happens to me. When I decide to take a wee break from researching for a while... When like you say:- Out of the blue someone or something can stir it all up again... Phew rolleyes.gif
Take care and keep digging GB...
Weesue
weesue
Hey javamol
Find yourself a day and get typing eh! Great!

Just think, if you came across some info about your family that you didn't know about... Wow!

Because really you are more than likely only going to find out about your family if you start searching the net etc anyway...
And when you do a "Google" search for a surname, sometimes it finds that surname in posts in forums like this, true?

We could have the beginings of the next "Scotland Today" headlings... "The Famous Glasgow Guide web site has made a multitude of new Genealogists, according to new statistics! Which has disclosed thousands of matching names in marriages and the Scottish census results"!Heh heh! (dream on weesue)!

Re:"carry on the line when there is an apparent illegitimate child "

I think you would only have to go with the names on the document unless you new the father's name which could be made into a double barrelled name possibly!

Take care guys...
weesue
Gallusbisom
Hi Javamol,
One thing here, the word apparent is pretty important. Some marriages, for various reasons, were not recognised as "legitimate". I believe that at one time a couple could simply hold their hands under a running brook and say the right words and they were considered married (OK, so it was a long time ago but the point is, if it was not in the "proper" church of that day, any child could be considered outwith marriage.) So if the either parent died and the survivor then married in the proper church the child or children from that previous union would not be considered as legitimate. This is a bit of an oversimplification but you get the drift. I believe that if the child was registered the mother's name was given as in maiden name, prev. married names and current married names. The father's name was usually given if known (that is not a nasty remark, some girls did not want to name the father for a variety of reasons. Religion being one etc. )But it is my understanding that all births in Scotland have had to be registered for some generations now, having a birth date and place would be very helpful. If it is possible to post some idea of what you have i.e. a birthdate, family name (not the real name, just that you have that info.)the time frame, 18th, 19th century, maybe someone could suggest some other alternatives. Sure worth a try! smile.gif GB
Gallusbisom
Hi WeeSue,
It amazes me sometimes too how much we have learned. I started when I first came to Canada, a long time ago, to keep all my letters back and forth between here and Scotland etc. and then it progressed to me wanting to know more about the family so I had the Scots Ancestral Research Society do some intial work back in the early 60's. That was a great starting point and I have just kept adding to it bit by bit ( I also include a lot of family stories etc. in the tree and anecdotes- I usually mark anyone still living as birthdate private unless I have their permission to be specific etc.) Then my husband "got the bug" so we have found lots of family from his side too. Now here is the weird part-although generations apart in emigrating our families came from within streets of each other in Ireland, Glasgow and Portsmouth etc. Now that gave me shivers. We have found and visited family in Portsmouth and the resemblance was so uncanny that one gg aunt thought it was her youngest brother walking in the door. (he had been lost at sea during the WW2-so it was bittersweet for her). We have since had them visit here to see where their relies. ended up coming to in 1910. Suffice it to say that the rewards are tremendous and the stories would make a book. Maybe one day-----------------Happy digging GB
RonD
Well, this is wonderful to get this kind of response on my favourite subject. On my Mother's side it's all Aberdeen (Deeside) and Kincardineshire (Howe of the Mearns), anyone have people up there?
Oor Wullie
rdem

Due [largely] to my having read your first post in this thread a few weeks ago , I decided to try and trace my family .

On my father's side I ran into obstacles quickly and only managed to identify 2 sets of great grandparents and 2 sets of great great grandparents.

I did better on my mother's side tracing a number of lines, one as far back as the mid 1700's and identifying quite a lot of my antecedents on my direct line of descent as well as others.

I'm stuck now and I don't know if I will ever be able to continue, but it was fun while it lasted.

A wee anecdote :-

I used to drive up to Deeside regularly and pass by a road sign in Perthshire that reads 'Findo Gask" . It always struck me as a funny name and I often thought I should get off the main road and have a look at it. Imagine my surprise a couple of weeks ago when I discovered during my researches that one set of my great great great grandparents was married in Trinity Gask [which formed part of the same estate] in 1827.

I'll make a point of visiting next trip.
RonD
Hello Wullie:

Glad to hear that my post was a catalyst in you starting your research.
Tell us about your "brickwall" and maybe one of us can help.

Where abouts is Findo Gask? What parish?
My Deeside ancestors were in Dyce, Cluny, Monymusk, Kinellar and Fintry (Aberdeenshire)
Oor Wullie
Hi rdem

Findo Gask is in Perthshire, south west of Perth. According to the Old Parochial Register of Trinity Gask [right next door] my great great great grandparents were married there in 1827. My GGG GM was also baptised there, in 1802. I can't get any further back with this line, so I don't know where they were before that.

I haven't found any antecedents from Deeside or elsewhere in Aberdeenshire but I find I've got ancestors in the Shetlands I knew nothing about, so...... who can say ?.
RonD
Oor Wullie;

Have used any census returns? People married in 1827 maybe on the 1851 census and it will tell you where they were born.
RonD
Paul:
The "D" in DNA must stand for Donegal in my case as about 2/3 of my Irish ancestry originates there. I also have a McNeillis (many spellings) from McNelis. I was forunate enough to have a birth certificate for one of the Bonars in 1855 but all it told was that parents were born in Donegal. As you probably know 1855 was the first year for civil reg. and it put the birthplace of the parents on it, I wish they maintained that feature. I knew about the Crampsey and bonar connection as well they is Kneafsey. Kneafsey and Crampsey being Anglicized version of the Gaelic word for bone.
Gallusbisom
One thing to keep in mind is that although the first name used in the family and perhaps given in a census etc. might be say Nan, that person's birth certificate/reg. could be Anna, Hannah, etc. Variations or family of pet names (Lizzie, Betty, Liza, Beth etc. all for Elizabeth) can confuse the issue. Of course most people know this and take it into consideration but there are less common ones. Humphree (the French connection biggrin.gif ) became Humphrey then down to Hugh in one branch of our family. And it pays to search 5 or so years either way of a given date, for many reasons but one of which is the mortality rate for children was high so a few years further on you might find the same name used again, and even again. Also, variations of the spelling of the family surname, we have Musgrove, Musgrave, Mushgrove, depending on which country the event was recorded, England, Ireland or Scotland. McDowall, McDowell, MacDowall, McDouall, all documented, all the same family.
I know these are simple hints but to anyone just starting out maybe it will be helpful.

One other resource I found was War Memorials. They list the names of the fallen and if you have any relatives that did service, and who does not, in any of the wars (and let's face it Britain has been involved in some sort of stuff since the outset of the Empire). I found two relies. on my husband's side from those, it also gave the name of the ship or regiment they were serving on/in at the time. You can, of course, ensure the info. is accurate through the armed forces records. Mind you, the hardest one is the Merchant Navy, in my opinion. They are very helpful but the records don't seem to be as extensive. Perhaps that is just what I have run into so far. Someone else may find it comletely different. GB
RonD
All valid points, Gallus! I had anancestor born Elizabeth, married as Eliza and died as Bessy!
For those who had rellies who died in the two wars there is a great called www.cwgc.org
Some of the information is "barebones" no pun intended! and other mentions wives and parents.
Gallusbisom
Just a wee thought here: check out the memorial list of the "Hood". , as I understand it from my Mum, there were a lot of Glasgow boys went down on that ship. A lot were relatives and many were from a few doors up or down from each other . Now in Glasgow at that time a few "closes" up or down could still make you relies, one side of the family or the other. biggrin.gif
There are a million clues out there, but we have to move quickly as the family that have the info. are not getting any younger. Keep diggin' GB
weesue
Yes GB, I've found that if an infant died, quiet often another child was named the same, because maybe it was a family name that they wanted to keep!
I also had a GGG Grandfather who didn't know his age... In three different documents he was three different ages... so we surmised an approximate date of birth for him.

On my Grandmother's Birth cert. from 1908 it stated the letter M for male...
So even the officials had problems with spelling and accurate details... They more than likely are responsible for surname changes and inaccurate ages, when people didn't know their own age.

Here is a link to the Valuation Rolls for 1913-1914 for Glasgow...
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/valsearch.php
Time consuming though... I have been through it with no luck, you need a lot of patience.
Good luck
RonD
Good stuff Wee Sue. Like you and GB I have found the names used more than once.

By the way I have the 1881 census on cd so if anyone wants a look up please let me know. It may take time to get back to you but I will.

Cheers
Ron
RonD
I have had some good luck, I have been in contact with the wife of a new third cousin once removed from my James Main ( he was a stane dyker in Aberdeenshire). I found her through the hot matches on Genes Renunited.
Oor Wullie
I have reason to believe that one of my great grandfathers was born in Ireland [around 1860].

Does anybody know if we can research births, marriages & deaths in Ireland and, if so, where ?.
RonD
Wullie, Ireland can be tough, not to discourage as many people have done well on their Irish. so many records were lost in the fire of the four courts in 1922 but some copies were kept in the original parishes. Also some of the census records were recycled in the first world war.
However, local gen societies are making an effort to collect as much info as possible for access. I believe that that civil registration started in 1864 in Ireland. For members of the Church of Irleand some records started in 1845. That's all I know, best to google "Irish Genealogy and see what comes up.
stratson
THE CHURCH OF LATTER DAY SAINTS
have irish records and microfische of the old churches records.
There is one off Great Western Rd,
You have to make an appointment.
When I was at the Mitchell doing the census trace got the leaflet telling me of this.
They have the old maps of the old names of places which you would not see on an ordinary map.
The Info they have is endless.
Hope this is of help to anyone tracing Irish family. smile.gif
weesue
That's good to know stratson. Thanks for sharing that!
Ron, I might get back to you about the 1881 census, thanks...
Will try and find info that I need in my files...
I think I've got the bug again... Had a rest from it all for a while...
Java
Am all excited today cos I just had an email from a family link in New Zealand that I didn't even know existed. I added the names to a website called Curious Fox about two years ago and was thinking of not renewing the subs this year as I hadn't heard anything....lo and behold, an email from a family with links to my great granny....jist goes tae show eh?.....at this rate ah'll get a peece at doors all over the world... biggrin.gif
RonD
That's great Java! don't you love when that happens?
witshisname
Hi Guy's,
I've been really Interested in finding oot My family History,could ye's gie me a wee bit of help gettin started,as in which sites tae look fer.cheers smile.gif
weesue
Hi witshisname
I started with Genes Reunited (You have to register) I put in all my family tree that I knew of... Just direct descendents, you could add all the uncle's cousins if you want, but it is a lot of work... Genes reunited registration lasts for a full year, and I have heard from Zimbabwe, Ireland and Suffolk relatives from this site alone!

Also there is http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ You will have to pay about 6.00 to start but I would not enter information until you have at least a little knowledge first... Or you could just be guessing and lose credits...
Having your grandparents Birth cert or marriage cert is a good start, because that should give you "their" parents names and approximate birth dates...

I also use http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp
This is the Mormon database.. you might not get all you want from it... but it is free. I have found a few documented names in here... Go to the IGI (International Genealogical Index) index in this site. It is in the panel on the left hand side of the page...

http://www.genealogy.com/community.html Is also one I use... Most of these sites are NOT free... but some of them have forums where you can leave a post under your surname and also read others....

http://www.genealogy.com/community.html

I wish you luck witshisname It will be a long process, but a very enjoyable journey...
jaybee
Javamol, great news. It must give you a great lift to find some long lost relatives. Go for it,,,, go get the piece. Jaybee
Java
Aw, thanks Jaybee...it was a line I thought I'd mistraced so it's great to get it back on track....ah've a feelin am related to you and Annie somewhere way, way, way, back...... laugh.gif

-----

Thanks to you too Ron, am like wean with new toy today....lol
Lennox
QUOTE (javamol @ 15th Sep 2006, 01:59 PM)
Thanks to you too Ron, am like wean with new toy today....lol

Javamol, That is how I feel every time I get a new wee bite of info, the feeling never goes away. There are times when I stay on it for months then I find I need time away from it.
Good Luck!!!!
weesue
Am all excited today cos I just had an email from a family link in New Zealand that I didn't even know existed

That's Great news Javamol... I felt exactly the same when I got an email from Genes Reunited from a distant relative all the way from Zimbawe... His GG Grandmother and my GGG Grandfather were brother and sister... It was great to view his tree on the web site and see that the last two generations matched mine exactly... It makes it all worthwhile. Good luck and have many more interesting finds...

weesue
Java
Thanks to Lennox and Weesue...ah have to say seeing this thread has inspired me again, cos ah had kinda been taking a break from it when I hit a dead end....so thanks to all of you ah'm on the hunt again... biggrin.gif
Lennox
Javamol, Please don't get down, I know it gets to you now and then but when you just a small bit of info it makes you feel great.
About 3years ago I made my hubby go with me to the small town that his gg grandfather was born.it was about a 3/4 hour drive east of where we live. he ( hubby is kinda shy) so we get there, I see a yard sale ( kinda like a car boot sale) I wanted to stop, he said no, we drive around for a while , go by the sale again I again asked to stop again he said no... about an hour later we drive past it again I don't know why but I still wanted to stop and that is not the kinda thing I get into but I just felt I had to see what was going on.He says we will stop if you don't talk or ask questions, What was he thinking ?????? biggrin.gif

So out we get I start to have a nosey around and I look at a book this woman had, inside was a note from he Mother in law who died about 30 yrs ago,she had signed it with her first and last name, which just happened to be the same as my husbands GGGf...... I had to ask and yes the woman( who signed the book ) was the sister in law of the GGF I just cried we still keep in touch. Hubby never said a word just asked me why I wanted to stop there. To this day I don't know why The lady gave me all kinds of leads, and we stayed and talked to her for hours
stratson
Divine Intervention Lennox,,,,,,,,,,,perhaps?????????? wub.gif
RonD
Pure magic, Lennox!

Years ago I was a volunteer at Mormon library, I am not a member of the church. What you felt is something the members call an "inspiration". All that aside, you were inspired to search in an area and it paid off, whether you believe it or not.

Java:
It's OK to take a break from gen once in awhile, I have found that sometimes you ahve to leave it alone so that you can look at it with a fresh face. It's like getting stuck with a jigsaw puzzle adn if wlak out of the room and then walk back in, you may the very piece you were llooking for. I tend to go with the line with least line of resistance instead of hammering against a brick wall, just go with what is working for you. Eventually, the brick wall will come down. I ha a brick wall for 20 years and it was by meeting a second cousin once removed who gave one clue that I was able to take them back 4 more generations (that and Scotland's people)!
RonD
Oh by the way! A Tip! on scotlandspeople, when looking for people, don't forget to use wildcards. Example just say your family name is McEwen. when researching and you are having no luck try putting in wildcards. So instead of typing McEwen try M*cEw*n in this way you are covered in case some clerk has spelled it with as mac instead of mc and are covered for alternate spelling of Ewan instead of Ewen.
Hope it brings results for you.

cheers
Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.