Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: People Who Lived In Barmulloch 70's & 80's
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Lost Friends & Relatives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
abc
sorry forgot to say we used to beat you at football all the time :-)
Guest_JOHN IN CANADA
QUOTE (Guest @ 10th Dec 2003, 08:53 PM)
Does any one know the Hendry family.  Tam, Agnes, Gordon and Sandra.  Lived in the flats.  Birnie court I think. They are my aunt, uncle and cousins.  Ann

In reference to the hendry's in birnie court......if it's the same family I knew there was a group of us who all hung out there when we where teenagers. John Mchugh John Dunn Geeze!!! Should I list everyone? I'm in Canada now and I grew up there and spent mostof my life (until 75) when I left. If anyone can remeber that far back I was even the paper boy who sold the times & citizen at the Broomfield Tavern for years.
gamerx
hi paul i live in baarmulloch and i think you might have known my dad Gary cochrane Tommy is my uncle and my dad says he knowws you and your brothers did you know roger
DH
QUOTE (donny @ 13th Feb 2004, 12:00 PM)
how u all doing im still livin in bar-m stayed in quarrywood

rite donny

i still stay in quarrywood rd do u still stay here
Guest_NEWLIFE
QUOTE (Paul Power @ 18th Dec 2003, 04:51 PM)
the broomfield tavern is a landmark in barmulloch. i know it well. my brothers almost burned it down when they where wee boys, dont know if its a good thing that they didnt manage to burn it good thing that they didnt manage to burn it

hello paul

how are you i am fine what you up two tell john i say hi and what i love him so much so what you up two john,

from newlife
HIYJYG
QUOTE (david lowson @ 3rd May 2004, 10:10 AM)
Jock we need more info mate? Maiden names etc.

daavid lawson are you rab lawson dad
KIM
QUOTE (Paul Power @ 20th Nov 2003, 12:10 AM)
i lived in birnie road through the seventies and into the eighties. i remember Kim Bonnar, John Barr(barrie), Tommy Cochrane, Ramie MacAteer, James Kirkwood(Kirky),Tam MacNiel, and many more from around Barmulloch.  It would be really great to hear from anyone from that area

rite its kim bonner

wat u up 2 hows u i am fine fone 0141...

[Phone number removed - please give email an address instead, or register to send a Private Message. GG.]
kim baonnar
Fascinating web site. I lived in Bar-M all my childhood. My dad and sister Sadie still do, but I moved away in 1982 to foreign lands ending up in Little Rock Arkansas USA 14 years ago. I now have a beautiful wife and three stunning weans. Still miss the place but don't expect me to move home to Ryehill Road any time soon. Oh bye the way I went to All Saints and I can't remember any janitor called Powers. I used to hang with Charlie Mcneill, Mutton, Ogie, Big Sooty, John Wilson, Sharkie, Jim Gallagher and Paul Mcmutrie. Remember them? what you up 2

from kim bonnar
Guest_donny
QUOTE (DH @ 5th Jan 2005, 02:00 AM)
rite donny

not anymore moved into the red road flats about 6 years ago how long u been in quarrywood
peacefrog73
QUOTE (Paul Power @ 20th Nov 2003, 12:10 AM)
i lived in birnie road through the seventies and into the eighties. i remember Kim Bonnar, John Barr(barrie), Tommy Cochrane, Ramie MacAteer, James Kirkwood(Kirky),Tam MacNiel, and many more from around Barmulloch. It would be really great to hear from anyone from that area

Calling Paul Power!

Or should i say "Poodles"! I remember you fae playin' fitba in the wee bit of grass next to Rockfield Rd! My brothers are Andy & George Burns! I'm John but i would've been a nipper then! You'll remember Kenny and Stephen Ross, they're my cousins! Just shows you, eh?

Aw the best!!
mcginley100
My family lived in Birnie ct for years,the best known was big eddie who worked the ice-cream vans.I thought they were going to pull those eye sores down.
I remember Kenny and Stephen Ross..They lived in the wee circle bit of Rockfield Road.....Always played football with my brother and the Paterson twins and Big John Preston of Ryemount Road.
john power 4770
Hi Peck, (Henry Campbell) and anyone else that know's me
How r u getting on?
It was good to see your name on the site. Drop me an e-mail and we will catch up on the old times

bigbadjohnbhoy@aol.com
donny
QUOTE (DH @ 5th Jan 2005, 02:00 AM)
rite donny

hows u doing dh how long u stayed in quarrywood im in the flats now
Rob Daniel (Danny)
QUOTE (Brian Hirrel @ 27th Jul 2004, 11:41 PM)
Fascinating web site. I lived in Bar-M all my childhood. My dad and sister Sadie still do, but I moved away in 1982 to foreign lands ending up in Little Rock Arkansas USA 14 years ago. I now have a beautiful wife and three stunning weans. Still miss the place but don't expect me to move home to Ryehill Road any time soon. Oh bye the way I went to All Saints and I can't remember any janitor called Powers. I used to hang with Charlie Mcneill, Mutton, Ogie, Big Sooty, John Wilson, Sharkie, Jim Gallagher and Paul Mcmutrie. Remember them?

I looked up your name on Google on a whim and WOW! There you are Jock!!
How the F did you manage to drag yourself away from Ios and Crete mate, must have been love or rakki induced!
I remember you in Ios VERY well, and our adventures with 12 others hitching up through Europe, working, begging, stealing and busking our way to somewhere near oblivion (Ille sur Tete if my memory serves).
I found your name in a batered old guest book I still have from the 'rooms' on Ios. Have no idea how I still have it, but there are some real stories in there. I've been in Albany Wstern Australia for 21 years, and remember contacting you in about 1990 from a Backpackers we had. Lost your address (again) but now it's great to hear you're well and having a great life ohmy.gif)
I'll write to your family in Glasgow to get your present address. All the best mate Danny
copeland
stayed in scotsburnrd now at birnie rd yeha full of junkies remember the times barmulloch was great now its just a mess
skippy
Hi there everyone I am from australia and back in 1978 my sister and I came to stay with family for 6 months and attended all saints school and have always wanted to get in contact with some old friends from there, I also have family that live on Rye Rd their names were Jan and Jim McInch and an older sister I think Heather and younger brother Phillip??? Does anyone know this family or remember my sister and I over there?
carntyne
Perhaps this ia a bit earlier than anyone remembers. I have lost touch with the Boal s' who lived in Gartons Road in Barmulloch in the 1960's?
bfflizzie
reply to henry campbell.r u the henry that used to be called peck?why peck i never knew but if you r perhaps you remember my family .michael and matthew craig and me their sister elizabeth .we lived at 14 birnie court bellow the higgins family .you used to pal with steven and paul ingles i believe.and david doyle. tongue.gif if you are the same henry ,cheers hope you are doing well.liz craig..now hinchcliffe.ps do you remember my cousins robert and andrew mc farlane ..twins.?
Patricia O Brien
hi my name is Patricia O'Brien i lived in 123 rye road and was friends with the McAskies, Charslstons Ann & Eleanor. Findlay Margaret, Ferns.

I've 4 brothers..Jim, Andy. Hugh & Gerry...3 sisters, Catherine, Maureen & Julie.
shay
Hi I'm Patricia O Brien..I lived in Rye rd with brothers Jim, Hugh, Andy & Gerry..sisters Catherine, Maureen & Julie.
raymond hill
hi Patrica O'brien my name is Raymond Hill and i used to live in Rye Road opposite the college with brothers John,George abd sister Valerie.I used to knock around with your brother Gerry,Davie Gray,Gerry Sweeny,Colin McKenzie,Willie Colloquon Michael Fagin, and many more who's names now escape me.I even came to a party at your house,your brother and Gerry Sweeny smuggled me into chapel with them one Sunday
Guest_Sandra
Does anyone remember Ian Mcleod or Billy Drury from Scotsburn road.
Tam McNicol
I lived in zena street and went to All Saints. I know John Power.
Do you remember the guy that always said "I'll knock your block off". He stayed in birnie road aswell. What about Alison Birnie?

Tam McNicol
Thomas McNicol
I remember John Power. I lived in Zena Street and went to All Saints. Think maybe his father was janitor at the school for a while. I left All Saints in 1979.I remember Alison Birnie living in the same close as John. Do you remember the guy who used to say "Ill knock your block off"? Tam McNicol
Sarge
It's been interesting reading all the folks who lived in Barmulloch. I lived there too for about three years but left in 1957 to emigrate. Lived at 61 Berryburn Rd., and from what I've been reading it sounds like it's become another slum clearance. When I lived there, a big empty field was in front, I guess where the college was eventually built, and I guess it, too, has come and gone. Used to walk all the way from Royston Rd. after getting off the bus up past Zena St., which was all small bungalows then, in the pouring rain and wind over the railway lands. Scary! I'm glad I left and would never return. huh.gif
scossie
Does anyone know of Big Joe MGifford..He wiz known as the (Fixer) in Barmulloch..Died About 3 year ago..cheers
Barry Russell
My uncle Billy Russell still works in the Broomfield tavern. His brother (my dad) is John Russell (Jackie) and stays in Kirkintilloch. He used to live in Cardow Road. I think and Barryburn Road
chris loppas
Hi henry is that you (Pec) chris loppas here how are you? Also paul iknow all of you playing football over the fields with DD , PEC & INGY remember?
brian432
Does anyone remember Betty Cowan from Barmulloch. She had two brothers, Jim and Lawrence.
78RyeRoadCelticSupportersclub
Stayed in Rye Road, number 78. Top flat, went to St Catherines school and the All Saints, moved away from Bar M 5 years or so ago and moved up towards Stirling, actually drove past the broomie which I frequented quite a lot during my time in Barmulloch.

Sad seeing the place going to ruin and loads of the houses (mines included) getting demolished.

MB
Ogey
Hi guys, John McAulay here, Ogey to those who knew and hated me! Just discovered this website, and recognised a few names from the past, especially Hibby (who never checks his Friends Reunited inbox, or is too miserable to renew his subscription!) and I seem to remember "Pooda" from All Saints, although I dont recall his dad being the janny! I'd love to hear from anybody who knew me from Ryemount Road or All Saints, even Albert, where I had a few good friends. I ran about with Charlie McNeill, Mutton, Gal(now sadly deceased!), Pirate,Davy Calvert, John Wilson,and far too many to mention. would love to hear from any old classmates from St. Catherines or All Saints, especially Steven Murdie, David Hughes(Bootsy), Morry Lone. I left Bar-M in 1980 to seek my fortune,and ended up in Castlemilk! sad.gif Being a taxi driver, I occasionally drive through the old place, but it dont seem to be the same place it once was. Hope to hear from some of you guys out there, so in the meantime keep up the good work! OGEY.
wellfield
Hey Jockstrap,just saw your post regarding Big Joe Mc Gifford,I knew his family in the 50s in Balornock,he was a big hard laddie. Rest in Peace.
MQ
Well a few familiar names in that lot! Like Ogey I've only just discovered this site while looking for something else.

I lived in Bucksburn Rd 'till I was about 10, went to St Catherine's.... Remember watching the old All Saints School building going up. Spent the obligatory five years there....

Can't say it was the happiest of childhoods; but it wasn't the worst place to grow up either....

I escaped the Bar-M to train in London in 1980; Though thanks to the miracle of free fortnightly travel warrants I spent almost as many weekends in Glasgow as I did 'doon sooth' Came back to for a few years once I'd completed my training. But got the hell out of Glasgow 18 years ago and just wouldn't go back there to live. Though I do lecture at one of the colleges in the city a couple of days a week now and regularly divert back up through the scheme to see how things are. Occasionally I use the garage next to the chippy; half expecting to see a familiar face... Never happens....

T'was never exactly sweet suburbia, but GOD what HAVE they done to it??? I guess Barmulloch as it was when many of us grew up there really is just a memory.... C'est la vie!
yvonne
hello I lived in balornock in the 60's and 70's my name is yvonne i use to go to the community center and linda allen dance classes in the brunswick hall i moved to the states in 1981 and i am trying to find old friends
wellfield
Hi yvonne,I belonged to the the Brunswick since it first opened till 1957 when I left for the States,I lived across the street from it on Woodhill Rd,it had loads of activities then,including the Saturday night dances.
Richie Warnock
Hi Paul,

Did you go to St. Catherine's Primary school in ryehill road? If you did, do you remember me - Richie Warnock............

Cheers
Kieron McFadyen
I never really lived in Barmulloch but used to spend summers with my Gran on Ryemount Rd (Number 5 if I remember correctlty). William and Bridget Coulter were my grandparents.

We lived next door to Eilleen and Audry Short, two doors down from Mathew Lloyd and just around the corner from Stephen Cowan (spelling of the names could all be wrong!)

I did go to St. Catherines for most of a year in 1975 or so.

I was back in Scotland a couple of years ago and went by to see the place. Derelict is the best word I can think of.

I must have been hovering outside the door of the old place when Mrs. Short came out to run me off! Ended up having tea with her and Mr. Short.
donnymac
QUOTE (Guest @ 28th Apr 2004, 07:18pm) *
Just wondering if anyone still visits this site.
Yes i remember the hill family, didn't tricia who visited this site sister marry one of them.

naw the name you where looking for was tracey nee o donnell tricia's sister i think
Guest william ross *
hi.My grandparents lived in birnie rd.from the sixties to the late eighties.does someone remember Magret and Willie Ross?
helen mccann
QUOTE (Ogey @ 29th Jan 2008, 03:30pm) *
Hi guys, John McAulay here, Ogey to those who knew and hated me! Just discovered this website, and recognised a few names from the past, especially Hibby (who never checks his Friends Reunited inbox, or is too miserable to renew his subscription!) and I seem to remember "Pooda" from All Saints, although I dont recall his dad being the janny! I'd love to hear from anybody who knew me from Ryemount Road or All Saints, even Albert, where I had a few good friends. I ran about with Charlie McNeill, Mutton, Gal(now sadly deceased!), Pirate,Davy Calvert, John Wilson,and far too many to mention. would love to hear from any old classmates from St. Catherines or All Saints, especially Steven Murdie, David Hughes(Bootsy), Morry Lone. I left Bar-M in 1980 to seek my fortune,and ended up in Castlemilk! sad.gif Being a taxi driver, I occasionally drive through the old place, but it dont seem to be the same place it once was. Hope to hear from some of you guys out there, so in the meantime keep up the good work! OGEY.

helen mccann
i lived in ryehill road with my sister maureen brother frank,does anyone know me.i left in 1985 and moved to england,when my dad died in 1990 my mum moved away too.
Paul McC
All Right Paul, I used tae stay on the 13th floor in Birnie Court. I used tae set your bonfire wood alight before the 5th November. COuld you forget me?
tamhickey
I lived in Torryburn Road from 1988 to 1998. The entire street has gone now and there's not much left of Barmulloch now. I also worked in the Broomfield Tavern for a few years in the mid 80's when it used to be a really busy pub.
dot21
Hello folks,

this is a long shot but I am looking for Joan McClive who lived in Barmulloch, we were great friends and worked together in Blairvaddoch Childrens home in Rhu, Helensburgh in 1966.
It would be great if anyone knew or has information on her or her family.

Regards Dot
Ann Lloyd
QUOTE (Kieron McFadyen @ 29th Aug 2008, 05:33pm) *
I never really lived in Barmulloch but used to spend summers with my Gran on Ryemount Rd (Number 5 if I remember correctlty). William and Bridget Coulter were my grandparents.

We lived next door to Eilleen and Audry Short, two doors down from Mathew Lloyd and just around the corner from Stephen Cowan (spelling of the names could all be wrong!)

I was back in Scotland a couple of years ago and went by to see the place. Derelict is the best word I can think of.

I must have been hovering outside the door of the old place when Mrs. Short came out to run me off! Ended up having tea with her and Mr. Short.

Kieron, Im Matts sisters Ann Lloyd, be good to here from you Lloyd4147@aol.com X
Ann Lloyd
"

I must have been hovering outside the door of the old place when Mrs. Short came out to run me off! Ended up having tea with her and Mr. Short. "

Hi Kieron its Matt Lloyd sister, Ann lets catch up Lloyd4147@aol.com x
Mark Bradley
Broomfield tavern - enjoyed many a good night in there.

I stayed in Rye Road and then moved to Ryehill Road, drive through the place now and then, despite them building the new houses the place has gone right down hill.

Got many memories from playing football over in Leadburn square & when it was really warm someone always seemed to have a fireman keys to 'let off' a water hydrant - there would be a big bit of wood on hand to clean the cars as they drove pass

Those were the days

Mark
trisha mcneill
hi all from bar-m im trisha mcneill i stayed in torryburn rd with two sisters marie & catherine i stayed at the cornor close with mccruddens & the mcnab famillies the manuel family stayed across the road
rondo
hi paul i lived in the peterhill flats but hang around with folk fae burnie court called brewer and cardow rd called mccaffery diane went to all saints sec and then i went to live in avvy and dyemuir st my maiden name was graham had two brothers colin and joe and sister lorna do you remember me or them
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.