Church Saint Annes Church of Ireland
Parish Shankill
Civil District Belfast
County Antrim

Surname Firstname Year Fathers Firstname county
CRAIG ALEXANDER 1887 JAMES Antrim

Surname Firstname Year Fathers Firstname county
PATTERSON ALICE 1887 THOMAS Antrim

Lived in Glasgow and were at 35 Young Street, Glasgow when a son Thomas Angus Craig was born in 1904

Death ..

Alice Craig
(married to Alexander Craig - Irondresser)
7 December 1907 3h 50m PM
1 Bowlinggreen Terrace, Glasgow
39 Years
Father - Thomas Paterson - Farmer (deceased)
Mother - Margaret Paterson m/s Paterson (deceased)
Cause of death - Pelvic cellulitis
Registered by A Craig - Son
BRIDGETON - GLASGOW

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks Dennis
Dennis South
Sorry one last entry

Looking for details on Sarah Craig b 1928 - her parents were Thomas Angus Craig a boot repairer and Christina Kelly - they were married in 1924 at St Rochs, RC Church, Garngadhill, Glasgow

Thanks

Dennis
garngad ward
*doncaster tom*
i went to the roch wee daddy kelly was headmaster, my teacher was one eye joe .i came from blackhill was known as [shorty ] left school in 1956 new paddy monachan henry welsh packys youngest brother
*doncaster tom*
To michelle romeo the romeos used to live in maryston street blackhill for a while .i remember them i last heard one of them lived in peterborough spoke to my brother 23/12/2010 in florida clearwater and he was with rosie romeo i think he said that was pats wife she lives in california tommy short.
kirsty gray
hiya my nana and granda stayed in 24 provanhill street. their names were robert stewart and elizabeth stewart/caldwell. this was in 1946 when my nana had her first born robert stewart. just wondering if anyone remembers them. thanks x
kirsty gray
hiya my nana and granda stayed in 24 provanhill street. their names were robert stewart and elizabeth stewart/caldwell. this was in 1946 when my nana had her first born robert stewart. just wondering if anyone remembers them. thanks x
*Richard*
Hi, I was very interested in your research. I am researching George Anderson whose address is given as 85 Garngad Road, Glasgow in the 1851 Scot Census, and whose occupation is Manager St Rollex Flax Mill. Does this Mill appear on your 1894 map of the St Rollox (Townhead, Port Dundas and Garngad) district of Glasgow? It seems that George Anderson (who was born in Liverpool) employed mainly Irish workers in his Mill. It also seems that he was not a bad person as he was a Liberal and was elected to represent Glasgow with William Graham and Robert Dalglish in the remarkable Liberal triumph of 1868. He retired in 1885.
RonD
I was driving through Hamilton, Ontario when I noticed a vanity licence plate on the vehicle ahead of me. It read "Garngad"!
Jimmuck
Matches ma "BARL" wan Ron.
I have found out that my Gran' Sarah Brillie/Brilley came from Hartfield St, Toonheid, where her family lived. She had a brother 'Ned' probably Edward? who lived up the Garngad area. I seem to remember visiting them once and it was near/across from those big Gasworks? that were there.
Anybody know any Brillie's? Mr.Kelly??
I had a false lead that put my GGparents in Bellshill, but recently found out they were off of Parly Rd. all the time.
My auld auntie Agnes remembers they had 'wooden landings and stairs up to their houses' and she always felt unsafe.
How many times have I walked/bussed past the Castle St/Parly Rd corner and never had a clue my GGparents were from that area??
Haw Wullie, did ye ever go tae school wae a Ned Brillie pal??
Glesga Geek
QUOTE (*Richard* @ 6th Sep 2011, 08:29am) *
Hi, I was very interested in your research. I am researching George Anderson whose address is given as 85 Garngad Road, Glasgow in the 1851 Scot Census, and whose occupation is Manager St Rollex Flax Mill. Does this Mill appear on your 1894 map of the St Rollox (Townhead, Port Dundas and Garngad) district of Glasgow? It seems that George Anderson (who was born in Liverpool) employed mainly Irish workers in his Mill. It also seems that he was not a bad person as he was a Liberal and was elected to represent Glasgow with William Graham and Robert Dalglish in the remarkable Liberal triumph of 1868. He retired in 1885.

Hi Richard,

I have found the Flax mills on the 1860 map and have also posted a modern map of it now:

Also Garngard St is now Royston Road so he lived in the street parallel to the mill.

Hope this helps?
Jimmuck
Matches ma "BARL" wan Ron.
I have found out that my Gran' Sarah Brillie/Brilley came from Hartfield St, Toonheid, where her family lived. She had a brother 'Ned' probably Edward? who lived up the Garngad area. I seem to remember visiting them once and it was near/across from those big Gasworks? that were there.
Anybody know any Brillie's? Mr.Kelly??
I had a false lead that put my GGparents in Bellshill, but recently found out they were off of Parly Rd. all the time.
My auld auntie Agnes remembers they had 'wooden landings and stairs up to their houses' and she always felt unsafe.
How many times have I walked/bussed past the Castle St/Parly Rd corner and never had a clue my GGparents were from that area??
Haw anybody??? did ye ever go tae school wae any Brillie's folks??
Charles K
Hello all. . i'm quite new at this site and am really quite delighted to see so many people who remember Garngad. Although my name is also Kelly, I am no relation to the head master not the originator if the blog. .
My family lived in 27 Cobden St. I remember an old lady who had a shop in the street. A church meeting hall also in the street.
I also remember the "tally" cafe on Garngad road opposite Cobden St.
On the way to school ( St. Rollox) we had to pass the wash house as we walked over the "Coup" (not sure about the spelling) and passed the piggery. I also remember men playing pitch and toss in the back yard.
We were 4 families living on each landing and sharing a toilet on the stair. My mother took great pride in having a white doorstep as I'm sure some of your mothers did.
We lived in a room and kitchen with cold water. We had a gas stove and gas light.
The radio was powered by an accululator which was rechanrged at a garage in Villers St. if I remember correctly. .
We left Grangad when I was 7 and moved to Possil Rd to a 3 roomed flat with an indoors bathroom and electricity Such luxury !!
Please keep up writing about Garngad. .
dlurinsky
Hello there been reading all the posts and its just like my dad said it was my dads name is samual lurinsky does anyone remember him or can give me some history about him and his family is love to read more
Foxy52
QUOTE (dlurinsky @ 11th Jan 2012, 08:31am) *
Hello there been reading all the posts and its just like my dad said it was my dads name is samual lurinsky does anyone remember him or can give me some history about him and his family is love to read more

Hello , l was pals with a Louie Lurinsky, he had a younger brother called Danny, at that time they lived at 425 Keppochhill road, at the top of Pinkston road. They moved from there in the mid 60s to the Townhead area, l think around Taylor St. and Baird st. Would that be the same family?
Cheers
Foxy
Foxy52
Hi again, Now that l think about it l am almost sure that Louie's young brother was Sammy. The one thing l can remember for sure was that Sammy's nickname was "BoBo"
Foxy
dlurinsky
Yeah thsts the same family there were loads of them and they all had the same names but my dads uncle was Samuel and Louis and his dad was John lurinsky my dad is 64 now i love hearing my dads storys and now i love reading about it
dlurinsky
Yeah thsts the same family there were loads of them and they all had the same names but my dads uncle was Samuel and Louis and his dad was John lurinsky my dad is 64 now i love hearing my dads storys and now i love reading about it
May Adair
Hi Paul,

My mothers family came from Middleton St as well in the 1890's was wondering if anyone knew them or if there was still family living in the area. Rebecca McMenamy and Hugh mclarnon.

May
taggart560
[quote name='Wee Mary' date='15th Jan 2008, 09:00am' post='180063']
Hi Paul

This is amazing! This elusive William has been hard to track and we've found him at last. A bit about the O'Briens.

Joseph O'Brien (father of William born 1867 in Lurgan) married Margaret Patterson by civil ceremony in Lurgan in 1852. It was one of the first civil ceremonies performed in Ireland as they were of different religions. Joseph was the son of (wait for it!) Joseph O'Brien and Mary Ditty. We have more Joseph O'Briens in this family tree than you could shake a stick at. The Ditty surname is common to Derry (or Londonderry); they were (and are) a family of bakers.

Joseph O'Brien and Mary Ditty's children - we have found three so far: Joseph born c.1831, brother William b.1834 and sister Mary b.1835. Joseph (1831) is the father of William b.1867.

Where old Joseph and Mary Ditty came from, we cannot ascertain at this point. What we do know is that William and Mary were baptised in Lurgan (parish of Shankill), but Joseph b.1831 we haven't found a birth record as yet; we think they came from elsewhere. Not many O'Briens in northern Ireland, then or now.

I found Joseph O'Brien and Margaret Patterson in the 1860s, living in the hamlet of Knockramer, and the hamlet of Beauconnel from Griffiths Valuation of Ireland (about 1864). These hamlets were on the outskirts of Lurgan and all of the land, including the town of Lurgan, belonged to Charles Brownlow, Lord Lurgan. The Brownlows inherited the land from a Brownlow who was given the land by Elizabeth I after the Flight of the Earls. The land originally belonged to the O'Neills. There's plenty of historical information on the Brownlows on the internet. The Brownlow rent rolls are held by the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI), but there's no mention of our Joseph in it, his holding was too small. According to Griffiths Valuation he lived in a cottage which was valued at ONE POUND! On some of the birth records he is listed as a weaver - Lurgan and other parts of Northern Ireland were famous for their linen weaving in those days.

Charles Brownlow seems to have been a benevolent man and a fair landlord. He gave his catholic tenants a piece of land to build their church on. He died during the famines of famine fever, helping out at the poor house etc. His story is on the internet. Brownlow House (his mega mansion) is now the world headquarters of the Orange Lodge.

You've solved a riddle for us. We now know that Joseph O'Brien, his wife Margaret Patterson and their substantial brood of 12 children, migrated to Glasgow via BELFAST. I found them on the 1881 census for Scotland, living in Queen Street, Govan. They had a child born in Lurgan in 1874 (I think), so they must have gained employment in the ship building in Belfast (Harland and Woofe?) and then moved on to employment on the Clyde. Every generation thereafter all were ship builders on the Clyde, including my own father who worked in John Browns Ship Yard in Clydebank.

The O'Briens moved to Gordon Streeet, Whiteinch where they lived until Joseph died in 1896. All the details, dates of births, deaths etc are on my cousin Helen's website:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~pavlich/

Helen's very clever. She's got a whiz bang web site. I have a web site too for the O'Brien Clan world wide. I'm the host for Australia:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~obrienclanaus/

Mine's not as clever as Helen's, but it's been a bit of a labour of love!

Have a look and see what you can glean. I'll give Helen the latest data to add to the tree.

Cheers
Mary
Hello Mary/Helen i have just been reading your pages,iam a bit confused no doubt you will put me right,my father William Joseph O'Brien and brothers and sisters lived i believe in Turner st ,my granny had a ham an egg shop again i think in Turner st,poss they are related to the O'Briens you mention,granny moved from there to barlornock and my father and mother Margaret (Peggy) nee Goodwin moved to Dunolly st after a short stat in Mary Hill.i tried to get onto your web site with no luck.
petunia
does anyone know of any Reid family in that area in the late 1800 early 1900's?
weemaryp
Hello everyone.
I am new to this site, but love it.
I too was born and brought up in Garngad,
in Rosie Romeo's old flat at 149 Royston Road.
Well, until 1959 anyway, when they demolished the old tenements.
My father's name was Hughie Paton from Bright Street.
He was a great accordionist, and very popular for weddings and bus runs.
My mother Annie (Nan) Mc Nulty came from Bright Street too.
Most of my family, on both sides come from Bright Street, or Garngad Road.
I would love it if someone remembered them, or their famillies,
but I suppose that they may all be gone. Pity.
Bye for now.
weemaryp
weemaryp
PS
I am so sorry if anyone responde and I dont appear to reply,
but I have great difficulty using this site, as I find it really confusing.
It is so hit and miss with me.
Any hints would be appreciated,
thats if I can find them ?!!!!!!!!
Mary
charlie mc garrigl
QUOTE (Paul Kelly @ 30th Aug 2006, 09:02am) *
Hi Valros.

In 'The Garngad Heritage, The Unpublished Work', Robert McLaughlin and Ronnie McDonald both write affectionately about a man called Big Willie John Monaghan. Even Hugh Collins in his autobiography makes a warm reference towards him. I am sure Big Willie John must have been a well known character in the Garngad area in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. I was wondering if you knew him.
I have also been meaning to ask you if you knew a Glen or Glenn family from the Garngad. They would have been distant relatives of mine through my McCormick ancestors.

All the best,

Paul

Ekelly
QUOTE (sally collins @ 7th Mar 2009, 11:52am) *
hello Paul, i came across this site trying to find out about Bright Street still existing,when i noticed your name was Kelly and your family resided at 27 villiers street,that is where my gggrandfather lived his name was John kelly who came from Donegal,my Great grandmother,Jane Kelly resided at 42 Bright street 1897 does this mean we are distantly related?

Hi

I am probably to late to join this.

My Great grandfather was called john Kelly ( he was a widower) He went on to marry an Elizabeth McLaughlin (McGee/McGhee) he lived in 36 villiers street in 1913 and they went on to have a son in 1915 called Edward Kelly (My Grandfather).
FerGeddes
Hi all,

Great forum.

I am looking for anyone related to Alexander and Margaret McGrory in 1910 they living at 302 Garngad Road, St Rollox

Also looking for any descendants of John Glen and Mary Ferguson from around same area late 1880s to 1930s
*Brian*
QUOTE (Paul Kelly @ 23rd Aug 2006, 03:08pm) *
In 'The Garngad Heritage, The Unpublished Work', Robert McLaughlin says he remembers that one of the families that stayed next to him at Tharsis Street in the 1940s was the Collins family, and that he thinks one of the Collins boys was convicted of murder in later life. I recently came across a book in a bookshop here in Gaborone called 'Hugh Collins - Autobiography of a Murderer'. The book is about convicted murderer, Hugh Collins, born in Royston (Garngad) in 1951. It is the story of the archetypal Glasgow hard man. The Gorbals had Jimmy Boyle. The Garngad had Hugh Collins. The book won't be everyone's cup of tea and the language is very strong.

Collins describes his early years growing up in Royston (Garngad) and his teenage years as a member of the Garngad gang - The Shamrock - of which he claims to have been a founding member, aged 15, along with his friends 'Wee' Joe Mulligan, Joe 'The Bear' Devlin and Albert Faulds.
He gives a vivid description of Glasgow's street gangs of the 1960s:
The Shamrock (from Garngad), The Cumbie (from Cumberland Street, Gorbals), The Calton Tongs, The Bridgeton Spurs and The Maryhill Fleet. He describes how he was stabbed and slashed, aged 15, in a gang fight against The Cumbie, and again, aged 18, in a gang fight against The Tongs. He explicitly describes his gangland life which continued into his 20s and which ended ultimately in tragedy. In 1977, Collins was convicted of the murder of William Mooney, whom he stabbed to death in a Glasgow bar. Collins was released from prison in 1992 and nowadays lives with his wife in Edinburgh.

The early part of the book has a lot of info on Garngad in the 1950s and 1960s. Chapter 1 of the book starts as follows:

I'm five and a half years old, attending St Roch's Primary School in Glasgow. The teacher, Miss O'Donnell, has asked us each to stand, walk to the front of the class, and tell the others what our fathers do.
'My da's a railway worker,' says one, and sits down.
'My da's a postman. He delivers the mail.'
It's my turn, and I walk to the front with some pride.
'My da,' I say, 'is Wullie Collins. He's like Robin Hood. He takes from the rich and gives to the poor. My da's a bank robber.'
The class erupts, shrieking with laughter. I'm immediately embarrassed. Miss O'Donnell is taken by suprise. That's the end of that exercise, and my Granny is summoned.
'He's not a bank robber, Hughie. You mustn't say that. You musn't ever say that.'
So who had told me? Did I get the idea from Ginger McBride?

I guess you will have to buy the book if you want to read more.

GG
Kathleen Beattie
QUOTE (AndyR1 @ 3rd Jun 2006, 07:17am) *
Thanks Valros the name of the families are Reidford, Clark and Brown and as far as I can tell the Reidfords lived in 74 Earlston Avenue from the early 1930`s until the 1950`s but the families lived in the area before these dates. The Clark/Brown family had a grocery shop in the area but I dont know its name. Any help would be great as I`ve got family in Canada who are trying to find out more about Garngad.

To the fellow who had relatives called Redford at 74 earls ton avenue. My family nancy, John, John,Cecilia, Kathleen and. Gerard. Beattie, along with my mothers' father and mother, John and Jeannie Reilly lived at 84 Earlston avenue, from 1943 to 1956 love to hear that name again!
Helen mccabe mcewan
Hiya my names Lynn also know as helen mccabe. Was wondering if anybody knows any information in the kellys that lived on 12 tharsa St garngad glasgow round about 1900 onwards. That was my great grans address annie kelly and her daughter my gran was called helen kelly (mccabe) married name. Thanks Lynn.
QUOTE (Helen mccabe mcewan @ 14th Nov 2015, 04:58pm) *
Hiya my names Lynn also know as helen mccabe. Was wondering if anybody knows any information in the kellys that lived on 12 tharsa St garngad glasgow round about 1900 onwards. That was my great grans address annie kelly and her daughter my gran was called helen kelly (mccabe) married name. Thanks Lynn.

AndyR1
QUOTE (Kathleen Beattie @ 4th Mar 2015, 01:42pm) *
To the fellow who had relatives called Redford at 74 earls ton avenue. My family nancy, John, John,Cecilia, Kathleen and. Gerard. Beattie, along with my mothers' father and mother, John and Jeannie Reilly lived at 84 Earlston avenue, from 1943 to 1956 love to hear that name again!

Hi Kathleen any info you can pass on to me would be great thank you
JosieHiggins2015
Does anyone know of the Brown family living at 69 Provenmill Street or the Bell Family living at 30 Fillers Street Garngad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.