Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Garngad Family History
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Family History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
JANEDUNCANSON
dear paul ,

i may be able to put you in touch with arelative that knew a jessie connolly form stamford street who lived there during the 1950s.our own family lived in garngad and hailed originally form ireland and ayrshire. however, fate conspired to rehousee us in stamford street and my cousin jane became a close friend os a connolly family. i remember them vagely as a wee girlin the 50s

let me know if this is your own connection.

jane
Paul Kelly
Hi Jane.

Jessie Taylor (nee Connolly) is my aunt and my mum's younger sister. She currently lives in Ayrshire with her husband Gerry.

As I mentioned in my introductory post to this topic, the Connollys moved from Dinwiddie Street, Germiston to Stramford Street, Barrowfield around 1946. The Connollys were certainly staying in Stamford Street in the 1950s. In the early 1960s my Connolly grandparents moved from Stamford Street to Carntyne Road, Carntyne.

There were 11 children in the family and my mum (Ann), Jessie (Jean) and Alec (Alexander) were the 3 youngest. My mum was born in 1937 and I think Jessie and Alec were born in the early 1940s.

Paul
Guest davie *
Hi Paul, the OP

Like your ancestor Sarah McKenzie, my grandparents & great-grandparents came from Taylor Street and stayed there for over 50 years so they must have known each other in passing at least.

definitely a small world
mariemc
Hi there, were there any McCaig's or Timmony's living in Garngad at any point? Thanks!
Lena
QUOTE (mariemc @ 19th Apr 2008, 01:17 PM) *
Hi there, were there any McCaig's or Timmony's living in Garngad at any point? Thanks!

Hi Marie, I found the following on the 1913-14 valuation roll for the Garngad.

The surname is spelt slightly different but that is not unusual.

Patrick Timoney, 36 Villiers St, labourer.
Patrick Timoney, 18 Villiers St, labourer.
Thomas Timoney, 52 Bright St, labourer.

You can find the Valuation Roll on the link http://theglasgowstory.com/index.php.

Who knows, there may be a link, worth a look.

Cheers
Lena
wellfield
Did you know that Stevie Chalmers(Celtic)was from Garngad before his family moved to Lamont Rd in Balornock when he was a lad.
Isobel
My Grandparents lived in the Garngad in the late 30's and early 40's they then moved to Glebe St then on to Black St. Townhead. They were Isaballa and William Green.Better known as Bell and WillieGreen Does anyone remember them.They had ten kids my mother Margret(Meg) being one of the younger ones.
Paul Kelly
QUOTE (Lena @ 27th Apr 2008, 06:07 AM) *

Hi Lena.

That is a great link. I had never seen the 1913-14 Valuation Rolls before.

QUOTE (wellfield @ 10th Jun 2008, 05:13 AM) *
Did you know that Stevie Chalmers(Celtic)was from Garngad before his family moved to Lamont Rd in Balornock when he was a lad.

Stevie Chalmers was in the same year at St Roch's Primary School as my dad's younger brother John (Jack) Kelly. In fact, my Uncle Jack was in the same class as the former Celtic player John Kelly (no relation). They were known as John Kelly A and John Kelly B.

My dad, Jim Kelly (born 1934), attended St Roch's Primary. My Uncle Jack (born 1937) attended St Roch's Primary up to the age of about 8/9, after which he attended St Bede's Primary School in Balornock after the family was relocated from Garngad to Avonspark Street, Balornock around 1945/46. It seems that quite a number of Garngad families were relocated to Balornock after the 2nd World War.

It is just as well that my Uncle Jack went to school with Steve Chalmers as he was Celtic daft. My Uncle Jack - who died in the mid 1980s - followed Celtic everywhere, home, away and in Europe. He never missed a match. He was in Lisbon when Stevie Chalmers scored the winning goal for Celtic against Inter Milan in the 1967 European Cup Final.

He always used to talk about the 1967 European Cup semi-final 2nd leg in Czechoslovakia between Dukla Prague and Celtic which he attended. He claimed he spent the night after the match drinking with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in a Prague hotel bar. What Richard Burton and Liz Taylor were doing in Prague in April 1967 I have no idea. My Uncle Jack would certainly have made a good drinking partner for Richard Burton.
Lena
Thanks Paul.

It is interesting the stuff you come across and what you find out when you are doing your family tree.

I managed to locate a number of my family on the roll though there was no listing for Middleton Place in that year. Perhaps it had been demolished by that stage.

Lena
martinemcdougall
QUOTE (big tommy @ 28th Jul 2006, 08:34 PM) *
Hello guys aand Gals

My late wife was a KELLY' and by a strange coincidence her mother was a ' MC CORMACK'
They wete fron Bishiopbriggs ,

.I was baptized in St Rochs School in 1931 .My mum lived in Parliamentary Road ,where i was born in my Grannies house.

MyGranda lived in Rhymer Stret as did many aunts and a few cousins .
My auntie was married to willy Lilly .Although, I speny all of my early

Anothe Aunt was my auntie Nelly . who married Eddie Fitzpatrick
I was born in Parlianmentary Road in my Grannie'house.in 1929.
I was baptizes in St Rochs in 1931 ( another story to be found) on this great site
Most of my early life was in Cowcaddens Cowcadens before movining up here to Bishopbriggs (among the toffs )Best of luck yours Tommy
mad for trad
hi have enjoyed reading wee articles you have written my dad james mcneill was brought up in garngadhill by his grandparents wee lizzie mcneill and his grandfather james im sure he would be much older than you but i remember visiting relatives my cousins all lived earlston avenue i remember the gangs in the sixties the shamrock and the tongs were always battling most of my relatives have gone now but thank you for the memories mad for trad smile.gif
Paul Kelly
QUOTE (JANEDUNCANSON @ 27th Jan 2008, 05:29am) *
dear paul ,

i may be able to put you in touch with arelative that knew a jessie connolly form stamford street who lived there during the 1950s.our own family lived in garngad and hailed originally form ireland and ayrshire. however, fate conspired to rehousee us in stamford street and my cousin jane became a close friend os a connolly family. i remember them vagely as a wee girlin the 50s

let me know if this is your own connection.

jane

QUOTE (pr77 @ 29th Aug 2008, 10:49pm) *
Hi Paul,

My name is Patricia Rodgers and I have read your postings with growing interest as our families seem to be similar in many ways. My grandmother' name was Jane Houston and she married Samual Rodgers in the early 1900's. They lived in the Garngad Hill and they had four sons and six daughters and their names are: Jean; Rose(y); Samuel; Robert; Hugh(ie) - my father; Susan aka Sissy; Margaret; Betty; Cathie and John (who were twins). After the war they moved to Barrowfield (Stamford Street), where I lived from age 6 to 13. We had a Kelly family next close to us. Their mother had passed away and I think their father's name was James. There was Jean, Katie, Paddy and Johnny. This was in the early 70's. I wonder if you could enlighten me with any further information, especially as to the origin of the surname Rodgers.

Hi again Patricia.

As I mentioned to you in post #259 of the topic 'Common Irish Surnames In Scotland', my mum's younger sister Jessie Connolly (born c1940) was a close friend of Jane Rodgers and they were in the same class at St Anne's Primary School, Bridgeton next to the Gallowgate in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

I am just after GOOGLING Garngad to see if there is any new info on the web. I noticed the following from Jane Duncanson. You and JaneD must be related.

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.cemetery...and/260/mb.ashx

And here is the info about the Rodgers surname again.

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.ph...st&p=160394

While GOOGLING Garngad I also came across the following poem. It was written by Jim Scott who had come from Donegal to Garngad in the 1920s. After retiring, he settled in Drogheda, County Louth where he wrote the poem. The poem was discovered by Eddie McCafferty, a native of Donegal who stayed in Royston (Garngad), in the Irish Weekly (Belfast edition).

http://www.gihg.org/articles/6/1/Old-Garngad/Page1.html
Paul Kelly
QUOTE (davidrpowell @ 11th May 2006, 08:25pm) *
Hi Paul,
My name is David Powell. I am a teacher at Saint Roch's Secondary School in the Gargad - been teaching there since 1972. My mother - Margaret Rodgers - was born in Middleton Place and later lived on Garngadhill. She is 85 and going strong although she has Alzeimer's. She spoke very fondly of the Garngad, especially the Hill, which she described as 'sylvan' even though it was amidst the smoke and smell from all the surrounding factories.
I am putting together A History Wall in the school at present and part of the display will be on the Garngad. I have some cracking photos but could do with a lot more.
The History Wall opening ceremony is on Friday evening, 23rd June 2006 if you are interested.
Regards,
David

Hi yet again Patricia.

I was wondering if you had noticed post #5 about Margaret Rodgers from Middleton Place. Another possible relative of yours? You mentioned that your father Hugh Rodgers had a sister Margaret. Jane Duncanson mentioned that your grandfather Samuel Rodgers had lived in Middleton Place and you mentioned that Samuel had lived in Garngadhill. David Powell said his mother had lived in Middleton Place and then Garngadhill. Middleton Place and Garngadhill were of course adjacent streets in Garngad.
The street called 'Garngadhill' still exists. Middleton Place, of course, disappeared decades ago.
pr77
Hi Paul,

Thank you yet again. You are absolutely spot on as David Powell is my cousin and Jane Duncanson (nee Robertson) is also my cousin, she is the eldest daughter of my aunty Betty. I have never met David Powell, it happens in big families, but I remember Jane well.

I moved to London in 1973 and they, as far as I know, still live in Glasgow.

I appreciate the effort you have made on my behalf.

Patricia
mad for trad
hi paul love youre articles my great granparents lived in garngadhill all their married life my gran was irish my grandad of irish descent I thougherly agree not enough written about the garngad Im sure there has been loads of interesting characters who lived there.
biglad
Hi Paul,

I've got kinfolk that lived at 181 GarngadHill in the 1860s by the name of McKenna. Charles & Hannah (nee Cooney) were from Ireland but I don't know if they married there or in Glasgow, tho on each of the 5 birth records their marriage is listed as April 2nd or 5th in Glasgow but nothing is found on ScotlandsPeople. The 5 children were James, Charles, Sarah, Francis and William. Charles was the only one to live long enough to marry; the registrar for all 5 births was Peter Ferguson. Oddly enough, my bio-dad, aso named Charles McKenna was born at 27 Rosemount St., Garngadhill district, Glasgow in 1920; he died in 1984.

I've been trying to find the particular county in Ireland that Charles & Hannah were from so that I could continue adding to the tree.
RonD
What year did they get married and what years were the children born? If they were married before 1855 then it won't be listed in the civil registration as as registration didn't start in Scotland until 1855. I also looked at the census for this family and in 1871 they had a son listed on ancestry.com named "Lauge" any idea what this name is really? I have found more than one listings of names that transcribed improperly on this site. Wait I had another look through Familysearch.org and this can only be Francis born May 04 1869.
Lena
Hi BigLad

Usually details of the childs parents marriage is listed on the birth certificate. Scottish birth certificates give more information than any other. Have you managed to get any copies of the birth certificates? I see on Scotland's People that there is only 1 Francis McKenna listed, born 1869...most likely yours. I done the search using his name, Lanark and all districts. May help by giving you additional information if you have not already got them.

I have my Grandfathers birth certificate which shows his parents married in Ireland, gives date and year of marriage and the townland or district. If you obtain more information you can go to Rootschat UK and possibly get additional help from the folks who use that site. I have found it pretty helpful.

Cheers
Lena
Paul Kelly
In post #158 I mentioned my Uncle Jack, my dad's younger brother. A former school friend of my late Uncle Jack noticed the post and has sent me an old photograph from St Bede's Primary School, Red Road, Balornock. The photo must have been taken in the late 1940s.

My Uncle Jack is on the back row far right next to the headmaster Mr Sugrue. The man who sent me the photograph - James Sullivan - is on the back row far left next to the teacher Mr Devlin. The Sullivans were neighbours of the Kellys in Avonspark Street, Balornock at the Edgefauld Road end next to Barnhill/Foresthall.
Paul Kelly
I think I have mentioned this before but it is probably worth repeating as I am still asked about it from time to time.

In the mid 1800s the streets of Garngad were described as being in the district of Springburn on birth, marriage and death certificates. Springburn was a district to the north of Garngad.

In the late 1800s, the streets of Garngad were described as being in the district of Dennistoun on birth, marriage and death certificates. Dennistoun was a district to the south east of Garngad and had very little in common with Garngad. Dennistoun was probably the poshest area in the east end of Glasgow in the late 1800s and had very few Irish immigrants staying in it unlike Garngad.

In the census forms of the mid/late 1800s, the streets of Garngad were described as being in Springburn or St Rollox or Townhead. Townhead was a district to the south west of Garngad.

It wasn't until the early 1900s that the streets of Garngad - Turner Street, Villiers Street, Bright Street, Cobden Street, Charles Street, Garngad Road, Middleton Place, Gourlay Place, Garngadhill, Tharsis Street, Rosemount Street, Millburn Street, Dunolly Street (and the newly created streets of Gadshill Street, Glenbarr Street, Rhymer Street, Provanhill Street and Earlston Avenue) - became recognised as being in the distinct Glasgow district of Garngad or Garngadhill on official documents. The problem had been that Garngad was a very small area geographically, though by the early 1900s (even after the creation of several new streets) it probably had as high a population density as any other part of the city and it also had a disproportionately high number of Irish immigrant families.

In the late 1800s and early 1900s up to 1918, Garngad was part of the Glasgow St Rollox parliamentary constituency. In 1918 Garngad became part of the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency.

As I have mentioned before, in the late 1800s and early 1900s, St Rollox referred to northern Townhead (Castle Street, Parliamentary Road, Tennant Street, Kennedy Street, Hartfield Street, Stirling Road, Monkland Street, Barony Street, Glebe Street, Parson Street, Martyr Street, St Mungo Street, Taylor Street, Stanhope Street, McAslin Street (including the former Albert Street), Ronald Street, Weaver Street and St James Road), eastern Cowcaddens (Port Dundas), Sighthill (Fountainwell Road area) and Garngad.
Guest lena *
Hi Paul, just read your narrative and think you should collate the information you have and put it together in book form. I am sure there are plenty of folks when researching their kin who lived or settled in the Garngad area would find all the information you have gathered extremely helpful.

I find the information you put on very interesting and often read it out to my mother who remembers many of the names of people mentioned here. My mother came from Villiers St and like your dad she has lots of stories to tell of her life and that of her family and friends from that area.

I myself grew up in the Garngad, Earlston Avenue, before moving to provanmill in the early 60's. We left Scotland in '69 for Australia.

Paul Kelly
In my last post I mentioned that in the late 1800s and early 1900s the northern part of Townhead was in the Glasgow district of St Rollox. I have been looking a bit further into this. I have discovered that the old Townhead street of Rottenrow was the dividing line. Those Townhead streets to the north of Rottenrow were classed as being in the Glasgow district of St Rollox. Those Townhead streets to the south of Rottenrow were classed as being in the Glasgow district of Blackfriars. The district of Blackfriars actually stretched all the way from Rottenrow down to the River Clyde and was made up of the streets in and around High Street and Glasgow Cross including the once notorious District 14 (the area between the Trongate and the River Clyde which included Saltmarket, Bridgegate - Briggait - and Paddy's Market. See posts #29, #37 and #53 of the topic 'Common Irish Surnames In Scotland' for a discussion of District Fourteen). I think this Blackfriars/St Rollox division within Townhead lasted between 1885 and 1918. In 1918, Glasgow's parliamentary and ward boundaries were dramatically altered.

I am interested in the Townhead area as my grandmother Sarah Lawson McKenzie - whom I briefly mentioned in the opening post of this topic - was born in Tarbett Street, Townhead in 1896 and was brought up in Taylor Street, Townhead. Tarbet Street was to the immediate south of Rottenrow and was in Blackfriars district. Taylor Street was to the immediate north of Rottenrow and was in St Rollox district. Today, Tarbett Street and Taylor Street form part of the University of Strathclyde campus. Taylor Street still exists. However, Tarbet Street no longer exists and, looking at an old Glasgow street map, it seems that Richmond Street has been extended eastwards along what was once Tarbet Street. The part of today's Richmond Street which is to the east of North Portland Street corresponds roughly to what was once Tarbett Street.
Paul Kelly
QUOTE (Lena @ 12th Jun 2008, 04:38am) *
Thanks Paul.

It is interesting the stuff you come across and what you find out when you are doing your family tree.

I managed to locate a number of my family on the roll though there was no listing for Middleton Place in that year. Perhaps it had been demolished by that stage.

Lena

Hi Lena.

I have been thinking about what you said about Middleton Place not appearing in the 1913-1914 Glasgow Valuation Rolls. In fact, I noticed that Middleton Place and Gourlay Place both didn't appear in the 1913/14 Valuation Rolls.

As I mentioned in post #1 and post #170, many new tenements were quickly built in southern Garngad in the early 1900s: Tharsis Street was lengthened considerably and several new streets such as Gadshill Street, Rhymer Street and Provanhill Street were created. Having looked closely at the few maps I have of the area, I think Middleton Place and Gourlay Place must have been largely or completely demolished to make way for the new Provanhill Street in the early 1900s.

http://theglasgowstory.com/valsearch.php
Paul Kelly
Garngad Square (now called Royston Square) was built in the extreme north west of Garngad in 1918 and was the first example of council houses in the city of Glasgow. James Maxton stayed in the Square from 1919 until he became the MP for the Glasgow Bridgeton parliamentary constituency (Bridgeton/Calton area) in 1922. As I mentioned in post #170, Garngad was part of the Glasgow St Rollox parliamentary constituency prior to 1918. In 1918, it became part of the Glasgow Springburn parliamentary constituency.

Jimmy Maxton never forgot his time in the Garngad, particularly the old tenemental slum streets to the east of Garngad Square and the incredibly high levels of tuberculosis and other respiratory diseases in the area. In a speech to the British Parliament in the 1920s, Maxton famously described the old slum streets of Garngad - Turner St, Villiers St, Bright St, Cobden St, Charles St, Garngad Rd - as being among the worst slums in Europe.

Maxton was described by former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill (a political adversary) as the greatest parliamentarian of his day. The current British Prime Minister Gordon Brown used Maxton as the basis of his PhD thesis at university and he also wrote a biography of him called Maxton.

I have posted the following photograph of the Garngad in 1925 before in post #121 but I was not sure of its exact location in Garngad. After taking advice from a few people including the GG poster BigArturo1, I am now sure that the photograph was taken from Provanhill Street looking northwards. The first thing you can see are the back courts of Garngad Road (Royston Road). Beyond Garngad Road, as you move from left to right (ie west to east), you can see the 4 parallel street of Turner Street, Villiers Street, Bright Street and Cobden Street each running in a south to north direction. Lastly, in the distance, you can see a big chimney in Charles Street opposite the northern entrance to Villiers Street.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA05269

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imageview.php?inum=TGSA05269

James Maxton was a hero to many of the working class people of Glasgow even beyond his Glasgow Bridgeton parliamentary constituency. I know my grandparents loved him.
Wee-Sprokit
QUOTE (Guest Maria * @ 16th Jun 2007, 05:36pm) *
#84 Andersons Dairy Earlston Avenue

I remember one day I was in the dairy & Carl Denver the country & western singer was in too see his aunty (I think she was the owner) There was a big blue American car outside, he was dressed in a pale blue cowboy style suit (Like the one's the Texan oil men wear) He also had on a big white cowboy hat on. The shop was so crowded as everyone wanted his autograph, he sang a song I can't remember the title, he also said that he knew Elvis & that he had stared along side him in Las Vagas...I don't know if that was true!!! My aunt Margaret stayed there before she moved to Pravanmill...then imigrated to Australia with her family...I think that Lena (last reply page 7 is my cousin as my grandmother was also born in Bright St.I think Turnner St or (Road) as it is now called is where the Costco's & Post Office depot is. I will check the next time I am round that way...I also knew Hugh Colins...I worked part time in the fish & chip shop Royston Rd just arround the corner from Earlston Av...I was 12yars old & also went to St Rochs Sec...I then went on to St Gerards in Govan...the headmaster @ St Rochs at the time was a Mr. Jameson my teachers name was Miss Gewer...her married name was Mrs O Neil.

I too remember 'Carl Denver' as he was once called, his real name was Gus Mckenzie, and married a Jeanie Boyle, He was in the Carl denver Trio when i knew him and played along side his brother-in-law Jimmy boyle and my uncle Dick mcleish,, he lived in Rymer St, before he became kinda famous and left his wife and son, His son was killed in a road accident many years ago,, the last i heard about him was a few years ago working in Spain doing the club scenes, he died about 2yrs ago, i doubt he ever got to meet elvis lol
Wee-Sprokit
[font="Times New Roman"][/font][size="3"][/size]Hello Joe McInally,,,, Im sure your the same joe that lived at 35, Tharsis St, ?? if i remember well you lived at the bottom of the close with your Dad Hugh, and the McQueens next door to you, i was above the Mcqueen, and our name was McLeish, there were 10 weans in my family, (6 lassies, 4 boys) my da was Tam and my Ma was hannah, Harry rodgers lived next door to us and Hugh Collins was up the stairs, along with his unlces Jackie and alex, I remember when you moved out my uncle james Stewart moved into your house, and your Dad moved to 37 Tharsis st, ?? my granny stewart lived up that Close too, she was stone deaf and we had to sign langage to her, plus there were a lot in the Stewart family, it was great to read about you Joe,, Abnd hoping it is the same Joe McInally haha!!!
QUOTE (J.McInally @ 13th Dec 2006, 09:53pm) *
Hello everybody. I found this site through reading Robert McLaughlin's site and I must say the whole route has been very interesting. I am an ex-Garngader myself, and I state here and now it will always be the Garngad to me, I never refer to it as Royston, I even address all my letters to there as Garngad ( the Garden of God ) to this day and they still get there. I was born in Rhymer St and at an early age (5) we moved to Tharsis St where I lived in the same close as the McQueens and the Collins', referred to by Robert. I ran about with Harry McQueen and Hughie Collins, the guy mentioned by Robert as being jailed for murder, as well as his uncle Alec, among others. It was ironic that when reading through Robert's site that I couldn't recall him, him stating that he had been a policeman and from Tharsis St,that wouldn't have gone un-noticed in Garngad, until he mentioned that he had lived in the Copperwork and had then moved to the flats, that's when everything came together and I realised that I had ran about with his brother Tommy. I have since E-Mailed Tommy and he does recall me and as I had praised his brother's site, he thanked me for my kind words, it was just a shame that I never got the chance to express them to Robert himself. I knew Big Willie John Monaghan and all his family, many's the times I climbed the drainpipe for Mrs Monaghan because she had left her key in the house. I ran about with and played football with his son Willie junior, I even manged to bump into him on a visit back to the Garngad to see my old man, who still resides there ( age 82 ).I stood at Celtic Park with Willie junior and the Romeos (or the Romies as they were referred to ), and willie juniors brothers James and Terry. The Faulds' that Robert mentioned as well were, I am sure, cousins of the Monaghans, and Albert is back living in the Garngad. Sad to say one of the daughters, Helen, who I also knew from my childhood. died not too long ago. My Father was brought up, and as I said, still lives in the Garngad. My Mother, who has sadly passed away, was also brought up in the Garngad, her maiden name was McDade.

To Paul Kelly, Paul thanks for another bit of history and nostalgia about the Garngad. Between you and Robert McLaughlin it has been to say the least very interesting.
Can I also add that as far as I know the wee Roch will be celebrating it's Centenary this year, I am sure.
'Bye everyone, Joe.

sally collins
hello Paul, i came across this site trying to find out about Bright Street still existing,when i noticed your name was Kelly and your family resided at 27 villiers street,that is where my gggrandfather lived his name was John kelly who came from Donegal,my Great grandmother,Jane Kelly resided at 42 Bright street 1897 does this mean we are distantly related?
supersal
Hi there,my gggrandfather was John Kelly on his marriage register he is listed at living 27,villiers street glasgow,he also came from Donegal,i also have my great gran living at 42,Bright street,Glasgow her name was Mary Kelly are my Kellys related to your Kellys paul if they both lived at the same address
Paul Kelly
Hi Supersal.

I am fascinated by what you are saying. You say you have your greatgreatgrandfather John Kelly's marriage certificate? Well, if his parents were John Kelly and Ellen Bonar, then we are from the same Kelly family in County Donegal, the Kellys of Meenavoy, Stranorlar.

As I mentioned in my introductory post to this topic, my greatgrandfather Hugh Kelly (born 1866 in County Donegal) moved to Glasgow around 1887/88 where he lodged with his older brother Willie Kelly at 27 Villiers Street, Garngad. Willie Kelly had moved to Glasgow around 1883/84 with his newly wed Irish wife Mary McGlynn. According to their childrens' Scottish birth certificates, it seems Willie Kelly and family had stayed at 23 Fountainwell Road, Sighthill when they first arrived in Glasgow. Willie had been a grave digger in Sighthill cemetery. In 1887/88 Willie Kelly and family moved to 27 Villiers Street, Garngad around which time my greatgrandfather Hugh Kelly came over from Ireland and lodged with them until his marriage to Elizabeth McCormick in 1890.

According to a Kelly 3rd cousin from County Donegal whom I met over the internet, my greatgreatgrandparents John Kelly and Ellen Bonar/Crampsey had at least 11 children and that 3 of the sons - John, William and Hugh (my greatgrandfather) - moved to Glasgow as young men. Willie was about 5 years older than Hugh and I think Willie and John were about the same age. According to my Irish 3rd cousin, John Kelly died young in a work related accident in Glasgow, leaving a wife and a young daughter. I have no idea where in Glasgow John had stayed - though Garngad seems likely - or the names of his wife and daughter.

Supersal, when exactly did your greatgreatgrandfather John Kelly stay at 27 Villiers Street and where and when did he get married? I have never bothered checking who was staying at 27 Villiers Street in the 1881 census as I know Willie and Hugh moved to Glasgow in 1883/84 and 1887/88 respectively. I have no idea when John came to Glasgow. I will check the 1881 census for 27 Villiers Street the next time I buy units for the scotlandspeople website.

Paul
supersal
hello paul,John Kelly,married Jane Mcdonald in the district of st.Rollox 1878,they were both registered living at 27 Villiers Street Glasgow 1878,his fathers name was John Kelly but i cannot decipher his mothers name but it does look like too many letters for Ellen,John and Janes daughter was Mary Kelly(my greatgrandmother)she was born 1880 .it does seem a bit strange if they are not related but lived at the the same address.although they were living there some years previous to your Kellys.
supersal
Sorry, i have made a mistake with Janes surname it was DONNELLY, not mcdonald
supersal
hi paul, its me again, now iam confused,on Mary kellys death certificate her mothers maiden name is Donnelly on her marriage it says her mothers name was mcdonald also on janes death certificate her name was mcdonald,so iam sure John kelly was married to Jane Mcdonald lol
supersal
My greatgrandfather,Athur Alcock who married Mary Kelly was living at 130,garngadhill 1897
Paul Kelly
QUOTE (Paul Kelly @ 8th Mar 2009, 12:17pm) *
Hi Supersal.

I am fascinated by what you are saying. You say you have your greatgreatgrandfather John Kelly's marriage certificate? Well, if his parents were John Kelly and Ellen Bonar, then we are from the same Kelly family in County Donegal, the Kellys of Meenavoy, Stranorlar.

QUOTE (supersal @ 8th Mar 2009, 01:26pm) *
hello paul,John Kelly,married Jane Mcdonald in the district of st.Rollox 1878,they were both registered living at 27 Villiers Street Glasgow 1878,his fathers name was John Kelly but i cannot decipher his mothers name but it does look like too many letters for Ellen,John and Janes daughter was Mary Kelly(my greatgrandmother)she was born 1880 .it does seem a bit strange if they are not related but lived at the the same address.although they were living there some years previous to your Kellys.

Hi Sally.

I am just after looking up the marriage certificate for myself on the scotlandspeople website. It states your greatgreatgrandfather John Kelly was the son of John Kelly and Mary Docherty. (It is not very clear but I think it says Docherty.) John Kelly married Jane McDonald at St Mungo's RC chapel, Townhead on 11th May 1878. John and Jane had both been residing at 27 Villiers Street, Garngad at the time of their wedding. That is quite a coincidence as my greatgrandfather Hugh Kelly (son of John Kelly and Ellen Bonar) had also been residing at 27 Villiers Street, Garngad at the time of his wedding to Elizabeth McCormick at St Mungo's RC chapel, Townhead on 18th July 1890. I wouldn't rule out that my greatgrandfather and your greatgreatgrandfather were somehow related given that you said your greatgreatgrandfather came from County Donegal. Do you have any idea where in Donegal he came from? Kelly and Docherty are both very common surnames in east Donegal.

QUOTE (supersal @ 8th Mar 2009, 04:59pm) *
Sorry, i have made a mistake with Janes surname it was DONNELLY, not mcdonald

QUOTE (supersal @ 9th Mar 2009, 12:13am) *
hi paul, its me again, now iam confused,on Mary kellys death certificate her mothers maiden name is Donnelly on her marriage it says her mothers name was mcdonald also on janes death certificate her name was mcdonald,so iam sure John kelly was married to Jane Mcdonald lol

If your greatgreatgrandmother Jane was Irish or of Irish extraction then it wouldn't surprise me if her real surname was Donnelly. Many of the 19th century Irish immigrants that settled in Scotland 'Scotticized' their surnames. Sometimes it happened by accident as they were illiterate. Often though they did it deliberately as they thought they would have a better chance of 'getting on' in Scottish society and avoid discrimination with a Scottish surname. Donnelly is a native Gaelic Irish surname from the Donegal/Tyrone border area in west Ulster and I have briefly mentioned it before in the topic 'Common Irish Surnames In Scotland'.

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.ph...st&p=151050

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.ph...st&p=151091

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/

Your comments reminded me that a few months ago I had correspondence with someone whose 19th century Donnelly Irish ancestors (from County Derry) settled in Glasgow and adopted the Scottish surname of Donaldson. It appears your Donnelly ancestors adopted the Scottish surname of McDonald.
supersal
hi Paul,thanks very much for the info,unfortunatley i dont know which part of Donegal they came from,i have spoken to my father about it, he just remembers visiting an uncle out there when he was about 6 years old well hes 76 now and his memory isnt what it used be,but thanks again cousin(maybe) LOL X
stratson
Paul, I found your documentation of your forefather's very interesting. Your research is meticulous.
My forefather's were Irish, have successfully researched my maternal g/mother's side,
My mother's side am finding great difficulty, mum dying so young and not knowing where they were born is drawing blanks.
Was reading your profile, your daughter is a very beautiful looking child.
Do you get homesick at all.? smile.gif
Paul Kelly
Thanks Stratson.

I occasionally miss Glasgow and Scotland though not that much. However, I do miss my parents and my brother and I realise my parents are getting old. My dad turns 75 this year and my mum turns 72. I have stayed in Botswana since January 1996 and I have been back to Scotland several times for a holiday. My brother has visited me in Botswana and I am currently trying to persuade my parents to come out for a holiday while they can still manage. I think they might come later this year. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I love staying in Botswana and I don't think I could ever go back and stay in Scotland. I am married to a Motswana and I am too used to the Botswana way of life. In January 2005 I renounced my British citizenship and became a citizen of the Republic of Botswana so there really is no going back.

Paul
TeeHeeHee
Hi Paul,
I agree with Stratson on your very beautiful daughter.
They say home is where the heart is.
I always believed it was where you hung your hat.
I met a girl during my travels who doesn't like to to travel, 20 years ago.
I gave up travelling
I was wrong; they were right.
We, you and I, both know that now, I guess.
RonD
It is with deep regret that I have to post this note from Paul's spouse:

" I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I wish to inform you that Mr Paul James Kelly had acar accident on the 7th of May and did not make it.

I wish to thank you all for being part of Paul's Life and for your contribution in this difficult time. I also wish to say to you all; lets celebrate the fact that we knew this wonderful man and that he was part of our lives. do not be saddened by his departure but rember the good things that he did in this world. HE IS A HERO TO OUR FAMILY AND I HOPE HE WAS ALSO THE SAME TO YOU ALL.

Please know that now this email address does not function in the sense that it will never be accessed. I just thought you deserve to know. Sorry for the shockfrom the address( for those who know already).
Thank you."

Mrs Kerly D Kelly ( Spouse)
GG
Please note that I have moved all posts expressing condolences at Paul's death into the one topic located here, where they will be easier to find.

Sad News: The Death Of Paul Kelly
http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16578

I will keep Paul's topics open to discuss the subjects covered.

GG.
Patrick
I was born in 1958 and lived in Rhymer Street until 1988 when I got married.
My father was Patrick McNair and My mother was Lizzie McNair.
My Gran stayed near St Roch's primary school and her name was Mary Anne.
My Grandad was Jock who used to frequent the Budgie in Blochairn.
My father spent saturday afternoons at the footie and the hibs hall.
I went to St Roch's primary then Secondary.
We lived at the close near the lane (110) and my uncle Tommy lived in the house underneath us. He was known as Wee Roabbie and he was a plasterer to trade.
corner boy
QUOTE (wellfield @ 10th Jun 2008, 04:11am) *

3 players that played as striker for scotland all came from the hill, JIMMY MCGRORY STEVIE CHALMERS AND THE hun JIM FORREST.
REGARDS
CORNER BOY
gbawley
QUOTE (mariemc @ 19th Apr 2008, 02:15pm) *

gbawley
QUOTE (mariemc @ 19th Apr 2008, 02:15pm) *

Marie,
the 1901 cenus for Scotland shows your GG grand father living at 52 bright street Townhead Glasgow.
Thomas Timoney age 50 born Ireland
Mary Timoney age 44
James age 24
Thomas age 23
William age 18
Elizabeth age 16
Sarah (your great gran ) age 14
Mary Ann Timoney age 10
Margaret Timoney age 8
Michael Timoney age 5
Patrick Timoney age 3
Adrew age 5 months
rondo
the romemos are a family that have gerations brought up in the garngad my granda franise johnstone was brought up there untill with his own family moved to blackhill but my granny often spoke of rosie romeo i went to st rochs as did my mum and her broters and sisters the monaghans were related through marriage i went to scholl wae maggie romeo and i knew james mccormack and johnny there was alot of the family around the area i have found memories of the garngad in my younger days and the many stories my granda and granny told iam in my 40s and mr bonner was the asistant head wen i was at school mr gates music teacher was my reg teacher
QUOTE (valros @ 30th Aug 2006, 12:56pm) *
Hi Paul,

Willie John Monaghan is a name I heard a lot of while growing up in Garngad. Do you know if he was related to the Romeo family? If so, then I do know who the person is--I didn't know him personally though.

I was brought up in Rhymer Street but knew such a lot of people from the "Road"

Many of the names mentioned in the webpage, I have heard my parents speak of. Rosie Romy as she was known as, lived two closes away from my grandmother in Villiers Street. I don't remember the woman myself but I knew her grandsons through school and living in the area.

Can you tell me where the Glenn family lived Paul?

How I dearly wish I had seen that Garngad site before Robert McLaughlin died, there are a few questions I would loved to have asked him.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

My cousin's wife was brought up in Provanhill Street and I have printed out some of it to send on to her because she too will know many of the names.
I will ask her if she knew of a Glenn family.

In fact Paul, one of the articles there is about Hogmanay in the old Hibernian Hall, she and my cousin used to go there all the time when it changed to Royston Social Club, I was in it myself a few times.

Small world isn't it? wink.gif

Valros

rondo
i knew galloways of that address think the kenndys stayed above them dont know if they are still around the area as its changed a great deal now
QUOTE (Tommy Kennedy @ 6th Jun 2007, 04:32pm) *
Does anyone here know/remember the 'Kennedys' who lived at 31 Sandmill Street, Garangard - 1936/37/

Sean Sweeney
My deepest sympathy to Paul's family at Paul's untimely death. I only visit the site every few months and the last visit was in the spring.

I came upon this thread by chance and while reading Paul's account of his family's history, realized that he and I were related, we shared the same great grandfather. In turn, his grandfather was Michail Connolly and mine was Patrick, who married Anne Moan, whose father's boarding house they resided in when arriving from Armagh.

I recall many afternoons spent with his grandmother, Sarah McKenzie, over tea and scones.

My mother was Bridgetta Connolly, Anne Moan and Patrick's first child, born in Truner Street in 1917. Granny Moan moved to Royston Sq after WW2 and I would spend summers there. My folks moved from Maryhill in 1950 with me to NYC, where I now reside.

So, it is with great regret to learn the loss of a dear relative and a great blogmaster.
MICHELE ROMEO
Yes Big Willie Joh Monaghan is related to the Romeo's. Cousins. My father was Patrick Romeo, and when I was a little girl I used to go visit the Monaghan's often. My dad, Pat had a mobile grocery store (van), many people knew him, I believe on Royston Rd. Right up from the school and the church, parked at the top of the hill. write back if anyone knew my dad. He passed in 2003, we moved to the USA in 1980
thanks,
Michele Romeo

QUOTE (valros @ 30th Aug 2006, 01:15pm) *
Hi Paul,

Willie John Monaghan is a name I heard a lot of while growing up in Garngad. Do you know if he was related to the Romeo family? If so, then I do know who the person is--I didn't know him personally though.

I was brought up in Rhymer Street but knew such a lot of people from the "Road"

Many of the names mentioned in the webpage, I have heard my parents speak of. Rosie Romy as she was known as, lived two closes away from my grandmother in Villiers Street. I don't remember the woman myself but I knew her grandsons through school and living in the area.

Can you tell me where the Glenn family lived Paul?

How I dearly wish I had seen that Garngad site before Robert McLaughlin died, there are a few questions I would loved to have asked him.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

My cousin's wife was brought up in Provanhill Street and I have printed out some of it to send on to her because she too will know many of the names.
I will ask her if she knew of a Glenn family.

In fact Paul, one of the articles there is about Hogmanay in the old Hibernian Hall, she and my cousin used to go there all the time when it changed to Royston Social Club, I was in it myself a few times.

Small world isn't it? wink.gif

Valros

andy k
QUOTE (Catherine Kennedy @ 31st Oct 2007, 08:43am) *
Thank you Paul for some fantastic information. I'm just researching my family history and have found a list of addresses where my great grandparents lived from around 1892 through till about 1918. At some stage they came to Australia (around 1914), but when my g-gf was injured in WW1 my g-gmother did come back to Scotland. I had figured out that Garngad Rd had become Royston Rd, but couldn't figure out where the other streets they had lived were. I'm not sure if anyone could help me and I'm not even sure that the addresses are in Garngad, some of them are in Dennistoun, please forgive my ignorance, I've never been to Glasgow so have no idea of the geography and how far apart places are.
My great grantparents were married at St Mary's Chapel Calton, in 1892. Their address at the time was given as 89 King St,Glasgow. The next address I have is 6 Comely Park Place, Glasgow, I can't find this address anywhere. The next address I have is from my great aunt's death certificate. In 1906 they were living at 37 Cobden St, which was described by Paul so now I have a mental picture. In 1911, my great grandmother inherited money from her brother, so there is a lot of correspondence from the solicitors and her address changes 3 times in about 2 years. In April 1911 it was 7 Wesleyan St Gallowgate, then by August 1911, 20 Bright St Garngad and finally Dec 1912, 149 Garngad Rd. My great aunt Ellen Kennedy married William Croal at St Roch's 18th July 1913. It's been interesting to read all the information, and I'm sad in a way that I won't be able to visit and see where they lived, but I'll look up the link suggested and hopefully find some old photos.
Catherine

Dennis South
Hi

I would like if possible any information on the below believe father John Kelly born 1873 and lived in Glebe Street in 1907 - married Mary Kelly 2 March 1907 St Mungo's RC Church, Glasgow

Christina Kelly
12 December 1908 5h 30m PM
29 Parson Street, Glasgow
Father - John Kelly - Carter
Mother - Mary Kelly m/s Kelly
Parents married - 1 March 1907 - Glasgow
Registered by Father
ST ROLLOX - GLASGOW

Christina living at 39 Bright Street in 1924

Regards

Dennis
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.