Railway Bridge at Scotstoun

The "Dry Dock Pub" at the bottom of Plean Street Scotstoun

Dumbarton Road & Plean Street Scotstoun

Kingsway Scotstoun
clapton
Dumbarton Road.. Scotstoun

clapton
What's left of Victoria Drive School in Scotstoun

(Nobody thought of letting the "Lollipop Man" know that the school had been demolished)

Where the Victoria Drive School Annexe stood

clapton
Dumbarton Road heading into Whiteinch

Granny Gibbs in Whiteinch
I think this used to be a garage

clapton
WHITEINCH

clapton

Crossing over the bridge in Whiteinch

clapton
The Buildings ahead now occupy the land where Knightswood Hospital stood

Alderman Road Knightswood..(Where I live)

And finally............Home

witshisname
Thanx for the great pics Clapton. smile.gif
stratson
pictures excellent clapton, you will e causing a mass return of ex-pats from scotstoun, and surrounding areas.
there will be a few tears shed the nicht.

maybe you should put a wee notice for

b&b alderman rd,
bet you'd get a few enquiries. biggrin.gif
Dexter St. Clair

legend has it the corporation appointed a fire warden to night watch the school during the war and he was still there in the fifties.
Elma
Thanks Clapton, some I did recognize but others were new, what changes the years bring, but ..... as my nephew used to say, it would bring tears to a glass eye. Can't believe Victoria Drive School is gone, I used to live on Upland Road just off Danes Drive across from Verona Avenue.
Rab-oldname
Jim. What has happened to the tramlines in Dumbarton Road?. Has somebody nicked them?.
clapton
Hi Rab Tramlines....????? You HAVE been away a long time
carmella
These pictures are terrific. I agree that some ex-pats will view them differently today, it's amazing how things change when you've been away a long time. All of us, no matter where we live, tend to hold onto our memories of times and places.

I think this will be a good piece of viewing for some who have been gone for many years.

Rab - are you serious or are you just extracting the Michael here? biggrin.gif
buntyq
I would be lost, Jim. The only places I recognize in these photographs are the tenements. Things change down here in Georgia as well. One of our neighbors bought her home in 1988 and she said you could drive for miles and it was all farmland. Now we have shopping centers and the farms are being sold for new housing developments.
clapton
Believe me Bunty... even here... if you stop travelling through an area for a while... it all changes.. Then next time you visit that area.. it's easy to get lost..
Look at the changes taking place in South Street.. That will overspill into Partick..
This may be a good thing for Partick though
Rab-oldname
Just provoking a reaction laugh.gif
boots
Thankyou Clapton, these pictures are great Alas for me they are also heartbreaking, I didn't recognise anything! I admit I wasn't too familiar with the area but surely that wasn't Dumbarton Road...that street wi nae tram rails an a' they nice wee hooses? Whaur did yi hide Galbraiths at the corner of Dumbarton Rd. and Medwyn Street? Ah'm no sure ah waant the answer. That wiz ma first joab so it wiz. Whit aboot my wee school just doon Medwyn Street ootside the park gate, is it still there Clapton? Dare ah ask aboot the park? Ah mean, yaize niver know, maybe they turned it intae Disneyland. Och, ah'm gonnae greet if ah doa'nt waatch oot. Yiv given me a wee walk doon memory lane, so thhank you for that too. I think I'll go back and look at those pictures again, they're amazing.

Almost fogot, Nice wee hoose (I just hope it's not sitting on one of my memories. laugh.gif
lianmy
I don't know Scotstoun really well, but I remember my Auntie lived in Dumbarton Rd Scotstoun above a laundrymat and that one of Bible John's victims was found in the back.

Can anyone tell me if they remember an Electrician shop in Whiteinch it was owed by a Richie McKenzie not sure what it was called. All I can remember is it was on the left side of the road going toward Scotstoun.
keelie gal
clapton great photos thank you so much fer posting them making me feel home sick noo wub.gif
annie laurie
Thank-You Clapton,
The photographs were lovely good to see some of the old buildings, again, don't reconize to many of the places, as you say everywhere is changing so quickly,
Shame to see those nice Red Sandstone Buildings all empty,
Enjoyed the tour, Many Thanks>>>>>>Cheers>>>>>>>>>>>>Yes it does make a person feel a wee bit home sick, like Boots, I still have a lot of memories in my Mind how things were, which, is'nae such a bad thing, right? Happy Days, biggrin.gif
timchilli
Greetings, all.

I stumbled across this messageboard some time ago and never got 'round to posting. Thought I'd break the habit by posting a link to my website, which details the history of Scotstoun/Scotstounhill:

http://www.kilmeny.vispa.com/scotstoun.htm

Cheers

Tim
Elma
Tim, I can't thank you enough for posting that link to your website. I have spent about an hour going all through it. I lived in one of the terrace houses just off Danes Drive in Upland Road, in fact I could see our house in some of the aerial photos. I was taken right back there and was reminiscing to myself about walking, usually running 'cos I was late, up to Scotstounhill Station to get the train into North Street to go to work. I was thinking about the loanie when lo and behold you mentioned it, it only went from Upland Road to the top of the hill on Victoria Drive then, the way in was right opposite our house and up through the field. Another thing mentioned was the people that were killed when the bomb dropped on Victoria Drive. My Dad was firewatching that night, under a tree in the loanie, and he saw the bomb coming down, it was one of these with the parachute, it was dropping right over our house and then the wind took it across the field on to the houses on Victoria Drive. All our windows were blown in with the explosion, but we were safe. Your website has evoked so many memories but I won't bore everyone with them, at least not now!! I lived there from 1945 to 59 so it wasn't yesterday unsure.gif
timchilli
Thank you so much for your comments, Elma.

I've sent you a PM which I hope doesn't bore you to tears!

Thanks again.

Cheers

Tim
timchilli
Elma,

My computer has been acting up of late - I sent you a PM or an email (can't remember which). Did you get it?

Cheers

Tim
andypisces
Nice to see the pictures of plean st. Spent the first four years of my married life there at no 35. It was alovely building....andy
Tim
QUOTE (andypisces @ 29th Jun 2007, 12:46 AM) *
Nice to see the pictures of plean st. Spent the first four years of my married life there at no 35. It was alovely building....andy

Unfortunately the Plean Street Clinic building was torn down a few months ago. A real shame.

Tim
Lion
HJi Guys on this Site. Ex pat from Scotland here. We came to Australia in 1983. would appreciate a little help to negotiate my way round this site. TTFN.
baskabar
Hi Lion

Click to view attachment

Enjoy the boards everyone is great here.
angel
hi Lion,, yi jist junp in.......... biggrin.gif wub.gif Angel

Im still trying to get around these boards ,
Kenneth
Hi the picture with Granny Gibbs. There was indeed a garage there, it was still in use up unti the early 1970s.
To the left where the modern flats are buit, that was a picture hall, I vaguely remember it, it was still in use in the 1960s.
I lived in Primrose Street, thats the street where The Scotstoun Emporium is. There used to be an old school located were the new St Pauls is built, behind the Esso garage.
There is a photograph in existence of a tram car that had come off its rails and crashed into the side of The Scotstoun Emporium!
jim neill
QUOTE (Kenneth @ 9th Feb 2011, 12:24pm) *
Hi the picture with Granny Gibbs. There was indeed a garage there, it was still in use up unti the early 1970s.
To the left where the modern flats are buit, that was a picture hall, I vaguely remember it, it was still in use in the 1960s.
I lived in Primrose Street, thats the street where The Scotstoun Emporium is. There used to be an old school located were the new St Pauls is built, behind the Esso garage.
There is a photograph in existence of a tram car that had come off its rails and crashed into the side of The Scotstoun Emporium!

hi,kenneth i lived in primrose street, left in 1975 for the isle of man. i stayed in no;20 whats your second name, is it harvey....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.