Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old School Photos
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2
francoise
i am looking for school class photos from either westwood secondery or easthall primary arround 1965-1975
tombro
Here's a Class Photo from around 1959 of my class at St Sixtus' School in Drumchapel. It was the year before I left to come to Australia and I can still remember almost thirty of the names !

Regards,
Tombro rolleyes.gif
Eddie berry
QUOTE (ginny @ 9th Aug 2004, 07:08pm) *
heres my school photo

try and find ginny, look fer a tiny shy thing wub.gif

Gee this was my class but I don't recognize myself....must have dogged it that day sad.gif
*Linda Swann*
Hello Shelly my name is Linda Swann, I was at Hyde park school at the same time i was born in 1957 I am not suer if I remmber you, but I was one of the poor wains I have just found this site ,I moved away from Glasgow in the late 70's I have not seen any school photos as yet but I am going to have a good look so if you have some in formation I dont have or if I have I am very happy to share.Linda.
*linda swann*
QUOTE (pshelley @ 5th Apr 2004, 03:01pm) *
I am looking for a lost child...............me. I grew up in Springburn, Mollinsburn St. I attended Hydepark Primary School from about '63 to '68 and then attended Colston Secondary from '68 to '71. I then moved to the states with my Dad.

I'm looking for any old school classmate photos of either or both of those schools from those times. When my mum died all the photos were lost and I have only one picture from my childhood in Glasgow ( actually standing in Loch Lomand freezing my butt off ). I've seen multiple posts on here with several great images of school classes and have sifted through many of them. As vain as it may sound, I'm looking for me!

My last name is "Shelley", my sisters name is Lynn if anyone knows her drop me a line, her husband grew up on Berneray St, his last name is Thomson and attended the University of Strathclyde for Engineering. If anyone knows either of them, I'd appreciate anything about them as well, be a nice surprise to show them old pictures of times gone by.

Thanks.

Anne1
Thought I had already posted this on here - St Marys Annexe Maryhill 1948/9.

I am the quiet shy one back row 4th from right with white top on.
bilbo.s
Click to view attachment

4th from left, top row.

High School of Glasgow 1953 Primary 7s.

A. Brian Loudon, Denis Nicol, John Brown, Willie Stewart, David Grant, Cameron Merriweather, Bert Addison.

B. John Hamilton, Johnston Mackay, Alistair Macewan, Richard Wall, John Calder, Bruce McAndrew, Ronald Gordon, Miss Ralston.

C. Barrie Murphy, Charlie Gilmour, Jack Bennett, Kenneth McEwan, Alastair Ross, Taylor Sibbald, Jimmy Miller, Arthur Hamilton, Malcolm Gibson, Jimmie Blair.

D. Michael Herriot, Alastair Strang, Kenny Graham, Stewart Gilmour, Jim Russell , Fraser Nicol, Frank Farquhar
E. Tony Green, Keith Dorricott , Jim Kirkpatrick, Wallace Maxwell.
Backcauseway
Hi Bilbo did you know of my two younger cousins at the High School of Glasgow? I know they were in Miss Ralstons at one time. Name was Flack. Fairly unusual name. They must have been there around your time. I know one of them played in the school orch with Jack Calder.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Backcauseway @ 16th Aug 2010, 12:11am) *
Hi Bilbo did you know of my two younger cousins at the High School of Glasgow? I know they were in Miss Ralstons at one time. Name was Flack. Fairly unusual name. They must have been there around your time. I know one of them played in the school orch with Jack Calder.

Don't recall that name. Are you talking about John Calder ( in the list above) ?
Backcauseway
Hi Bilbo. If it was John Calder who played in the school orchestra then I think it was him who played with the Glasgow Schools Orchestra. My cousin was at music camp at Castle Toward with him around 1958'9 or so.My cousin played the violin in the high school orchestra with Harry McGill. Did you know the boys High School orchestra and choir around 1954 or so cut a 78rpm record for HMV? My oldest cousin was at the high from 1945 to 1958 and the younger 1948 to 1961. I left in 1948 so was a good ten years older!!! Mr Talman the rector in my time used to walk across the playground wearing a morterboard cap/hat. Imaging that nowadays. Did you know the head janitor Mr Luke was one of the greatest heroes of the first few weeks of the first world war? His action was celebrated on everything from decorated biscuit tins to paintings and cigarette cards!! I recall the toilets in the playground were air raid shelters. We had one or two air raid "drills".The centre block was used I think as a sort of 24 / 48 hour transit camp for troops passing through glasgow. I seem to recall quite a lot of them were Polish or Canadian. We were strickly forbiden to speak with them but boys being boys we were interested in the uniform patches, strange languages and the fact that lots of them were 18 or 19 and smoked ! I really am giving my age away, But I suspect there are not many of us "auld yins" left.
Backcauseway
Yes that John Calder.
Pkane
QUOTE (tombro @ 2nd Aug 2008, 01:58pm) *
Here's a Class Photo from around 1959 of my class at St Sixtus' School in Drumchapel. It was the year before I left to come to Australia and I can still remember almost thirty of the names !

Regards,
Tombro rolleyes.gif

Pkane
QUOTE (tombro @ 2nd Aug 2008, 01:58pm) *

Regards,
Tombro rolleyes.gif

I'm in this picture, I have sent you a message thumbup.gif
tombro
Pkane,

I hope this brings back memories but these are the names I can still remember from that 52 year old pic. Enjoy the memories of a great time as I always do when I think of my time at St Sixtus.

Click to view attachment

Back Row: ? ? Norman Yuill, Michael Connolly, ? ? Robert Watt, Francis Connolly, Me (Tom Brown)

Next Row: Miss Swift, Colin Murray, ? ? Thomas Burns, Patrick Devlin, Anthony Hazelton, Philip Duffy, David Harmon, Noel Boyle, Gerard Manley

Next Row: Kenny Carlin, ? ? ? you (I thought Katherine Stubbings but as you are Pkane I'm no longer sure) Marie Gollogly, Brenda Johnson, Kathleen Dunn, ? Alan? McPhail

Next Row: Geraldine McEwen, ? Marcella McLaughlin, Hope Logue, Katherine McLaughlin, Theresa Docherty, Carole Corrigan ? ?

Next Row: ? Katherine Fleming, ? ? ? ?

Maybe you can jog my memory by filling in some of the missing names for me !

Tombro yes.gif yes.gif
toerag
Cant believe how many kids are in the class in these photos, nowadays if there is 20 its too many!! changed day, eh!
beth

St Pauls Stettleston. need to go and find the fotie to give you the details. It was taken in 1960
Pkane
QUOTE (tombro @ 24th Sep 2012, 11:11am) *
Pkane,

I hope this brings back memories but these are the names I can still remember from that 52 year old pic. Enjoy the memories of a great time as I always do when I think of my time at St Sixtus.

Click to view attachment

Back Row: ? ? Norman Yuill, Michael Connolly, ? ? Robert Watt, Francis Connolly, Me (Tom Brown)

Next Row: Miss Swift, Colin Murray, ? ? Thomas Burns, Patrick Devlin, Anthony Hazelton, Philip Duffy, David Harmon, Noel Boyle, Gerard Manley

Next Row: Kenny Carlin, ? ? ? you (I thought Katherine Stubbings but as you are Pkane I'm no longer sure) Marie Gollogly, Brenda Johnson, Kathleen Dunn, ? Alan? McPhail

Next Row: Geraldine McEwen, ? Marcella McLaughlin, Hope Logue, Katherine McLaughlin, Theresa Docherty, Carole Corrigan ? ?

Tombro yes.gif yes.gif

Pkane
Hi Tombro,
I should have added that my maiden name was Scally (Patsy Scally). I lived at 29 Ledmore Drive just across the road from the School. To be honest the only person I remember is Thomas Burns because he lived at the same address. The family left to go to Canada but we have never been able to find them. The only teacher I remember is Mrs Gillespie. I don't know if I may have mislead you but I am on the third row from the bottom upwards and the fifth person in from right hand side looking rather shy. Like you 52yrs is a long time to remember. I went to St. Pius for a short time and left Drumchapel when I was about 12 years old.

I now live in Ipswich Suffolk and have been married for 44yrs and have three girls who are all married with children.
cathy52
[size="3"][/size]saracen school 1960-61. miss quireshi. i cant remember a single name. wonder what happened to every body. i am second row from front left side at the very endClick to view attachment
cathy52
i meant to say i am second row from the front very end right.
Jimcee
QUOTE (sjmac @ 19th Oct 2003, 06:18am) *
Does anyone know anybody in this photo.

Mieklerigg Primary (Pollok). 1949. Ahm no tellin ye which wans me. wub.gif

I started in Meiklerigg, aged 5, the following year (1950). Unfortunately, all my school pics got lost during house moving. Does anyone have any photos of Miss McLean's class between 1951 - 1955?
wee mags
I was looking at some Maryhill stuff on You tube and I saw this old school photo and I shouted out thats me ,Mike said I know its you ,"No in this photo "so here it is wrong photo its ma sister ha ha
wee mags
this is me
Carole
Great to see that old school photo. I was Carole Corrigan. Can't believe you can remember all those names. Theresa Doherty and Kathleen McLaughlin were my best friends at school. I also remember Hope Lougue and Kathleen Dunn. Of the boys I remember David Harmon Gerard Manley. Noel Boyle and Anthony Hazelton lived round the corner in invercanny. I lived in Ardhu Place. Theresa Docherty lived across the road. Thanks for sharing. I have two daughters and two grandchildren who have all loved seeing what I looked like way back then.
Rab
Blythswood School, Renfrew around 1953. Rab is the intelligent-looking one 4th from right in back row! wink.gif

Click to view attachment

Heres one of my teachers about the same time. Many looked like my Granny!

Click to view attachment
stratson
QUOTE (Backcauseway @ 16th Aug 2010, 08:16pm) *
Hi Bilbo. If it was John Calder who played in the school orchestra then I think it was him who played with the Glasgow Schools Orchestra. My cousin was at music camp at Castle Toward with him around 1958'9 or so.My cousin played the violin in the high school orchestra with Harry McGill. Did you know the boys High School orchestra and choir around 1954 or so cut a 78rpm record for HMV? My oldest cousin was at the high from 1945 to 1958 and the younger 1948 to 1961. I left in 1948 so was a good ten years older!!! Mr Talman the rector in my time used to walk across the playground wearing a morterboard cap/hat. Imaging that nowadays.

On reading your post was very surprised to read of Mr Talman The Rector of Glasgow High. Mr & Mrs Talman lived near Woodlands, Bridge of Weir where I was brought up during war years. They had two evacuees who were my playmates, think the girls came from Glasgow St. Roch's school. Their stay was short. After they left I used to get Their Sunday Papers and deliver them, Mr 7 Mrs Talman were always very kind to me.
Just another point I'd like to make. On my return to Glasgow and going into Senior Secondary, all the teachers wore cloaks. this would be 1945. smile.gif
bilbo.s
Stratson, I am just a young whippersnapper - I left the High in 1959 at 17 years old. I know nothing of this Mr Talman, as the Rector was David Lees during my time. He was from the macaroon family and was a horrible little martinet. The teachers still wore gowns in my day.
KennethAlcorn
QUOTE (sjmac @ 19th Oct 2003, 06:18am) *
Does anyone know anybody in this photo.

Mieklerigg Primary (Pollok). 1949. Ahm no tellin ye which wans me. wub.gif

ma names kenny alcorn, me and my younger sister went to mieklerigg infants, a think ma teachers name was miss camoc, or it could be keltie, a wis two when a moved tae 103 dormanside road, a had three brothers billy and bobby were twins,ma sister is maureen, john was the oldest. i was born whitevale street 1947, went to this school then magill, then crookie, i live in bucks england, been thear for over thirty years, its sooooooo good to see that photo of the school and of coarse i do recognise some of the pupils, you can email me at johnoftherow@hotmail.com, be just great to hear from ye.... kenny
Kenny alcorn
QUOTE (anne @ 19th Oct 2003, 10:55am) *
This is Househillwood primary around 1950 ish. Miss Thomson and me on the left with the legs.

Anne

hi anne i think i might be in this pic, am bottom row far right kenny alcorn, the kid on my right a think was ian hogg

an the kid wi the blond hair wi the v neck jumper might be alec davison, an along fae me wae the glesses a think is ian mc donald

a forgot ,, my contact email address... johnoftherow@hotmail.com sorry anne, if this is me... its probably the only pic i ever had at this age, and if so anne you have brought a big shining light into my life thankyou kenny
Kenneth Alcorn
QUOTE (anne @ 19th Oct 2003, 10:46am) *
This is Househillwood primary around 1950 ish. Miss Thomson and me on the left with the legs.

Anne

Anne could you please let me contact you, i am in this picture to, i have family in Perth oz I'd love to get a copy johnoftherow@hotmail.com
Carole TOO
QUOTE (Carole @ 6th Jul 2014, 01:55pm) *
Great to see that old school photo. I was Carole Corrigan. Can't believe you can remember all those names. Theresa Doherty and Kathleen McLaughlin were my best friends at school. I also remember Hope Lougue and Kathleen Dunn. Of the boys I remember David Harmon Gerard Manley. Noel Boyle and Anthony Hazelton lived round the corner in invercanny. I lived in Ardhu Place. Theresa Docherty lived across the road. Thanks for sharing. I have two daughters and two grandchildren who have all loved seeing what I looked like way back then.

Noel Boyle is my brother. We left Scotland in 1964 to live in New York, and here we remain to this day. He turned out to be quite brilliant and has just retired from his profession as a molecular pharmacologist. He married but has no children.
tombro
Carole TOO, can't believe, after 57 years, I've had another reply to this post !

Unfortunately, I missed Carole Corrigan's initial reply. I just remember that growing up in theDrum, in those days, was something absolutely special and I often wonder where all of my wonderful friends from that year at St Sixtus' ended up. I'm pretty sure , although not certain, that that pic was taken in 1959 when we were up at the big school on Kinfauns drive.

At the end of 1960, we had gone back to the annexe in Airgold Drive by then, my family and I emigrated to Australia. It does not surprise me that Noel was a success in life. As a person who eventually spent 40 plus years teaching throughout NSW in Australia, I have noticed that those who stand out as primary kids generally become stand outs in later life !

If you come back to GG and see this, Carole, please pass my warm thoughts on to Noel and, if he is still in touch with some of his old friends from St Sixtus, I hope he will pass on my warm thoughts to them, also !

Great to hear from my Drumchapel past !

Tom Brown,

aka Tombro ! smile.gif smile.gif
Rab
Can you find me? Any old pals in this photie still living, please get in touch.Rab.

Click to view attachment
wee mags

hi Rab wee mags here tongue.gif
Elma
Hi Rab, think that's me in your picture, the only wee girl there on the right hand side! Looks like you the wee one in the yellow sweater. What do you think? laugh.gif
ashfield
Ah'm no' in it because ah wiz aff sick that day confused2.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
Springbank School class photo taken in 1953. My younger sister Iris Thomson, is in top row second from right. Unusually, there is no teacher in the photo.

Rab
QUOTE (Elma @ 13th Apr 2016, 04:55am) *
Hi Rab, think that's me in your picture, the only wee girl there on the right hand side! Looks like you the wee one in the yellow sweater. What do you think? laugh.gif

I remember you now Elma - the only girl in the class! You were VERY popular with the boys as I recall!
Wrong about me though, I am the one on the left in the red bunnet which my mammy defied me to take off as I might catch cold - the teachers did not agree and I kept getting skelpt!
Rab
QUOTE (wee mags @ 12th Apr 2016, 06:48pm) *
hi Rab wee mags here tongue.gif

Hullo rerr Wee Mags! Click to view attachment Still taking the tablets I see? Click to view attachment
kennyAlcorn
QUOTE (anne @ 19th Oct 2003, 10:38am) *

Anne

*killerken*
QUOTE (Kenny alcorn @ 18th Mar 2015, 12:28pm) *
hi anne i think i might be in this pic, am bottom row far right kenny alcorn, the kid on my right a think was ian hogg

an the kid wi the blond hair wi the v neck jumper might be alec davison, an along fae me wae the glesses a think is ian mc donald

a forgot ,, my contact email address... johnoftherow@hotmail.com sorry anne, if this is me... its probably the only pic i ever had at this age, and if so anne you have brought a big shining light into my life thankyou kenny

john bradley
QUOTE (francoise @ 29th Jul 2008, 02:41am) *
i am looking for school class photos from either westwood secondery or easthall primary arround 1965-1975

Allan Bell
QUOTE (tombro @ 24th Sep 2012, 09:56am) *
Pkane,

Click to view attachment

Tombro yes.gif yes.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.