Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Castlemilk
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Lost Friends & Relatives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
keelie gal'
i remember the castlemilk shops and can remember every shop keeper too my gran used to work in the centra shop on that wee row of shops ye had the newsagents then the butchers then the centra shop then ya had saunders hardwear shop then the chemist shop does anyone remember the harpers the welsh's 'taggarts 'molloys 'mackays 'the waters' and the sinclairs the mansons .the rieds.the mcleans mrs mooney the ashcrofts and the johnsons nancy young .joe porter all from machrie drive in the 60,s n 70,s and castlemilk house was in ruins when i was there we had many a fun time when weans could be weans in them days roaming the streets when everyone felt safe and everyone knew each other and looked oot for each others weans the pond the bridge and the waterfall fall bluebell woods behind castle house before it was demolished summers were braw ther the mammies used to come oot n play wi us weans in all sort of street games wi the neebours taking it in turns to make the tea whilt the men went tae rutherglen fer ther pints and games o dominoes ie the glen bar is one i remember my wee da used and ye always knew ya stairs in the close were clean as the wummin took it in turns .....mind the smell o bleach or distenfentant when the stairs were just washed ooor close i remember 63 machrie drive even had nets on the landin windaes and noone even thought tae lock there doors ...ochhhhh gone are the days noo i know wit my wee gran told me aboot the gool ole days.. wub.gif
marina
hi keelie gal, i remember the reids and the mcleans, sandra reid was my pal, do you remember alison kelly?

i remember all those shops too, nearly every time my mum sent me to the centra i aould pass out in the queue, i was badly anaemic when i was younger and was well known for passing out, alexandra cranstons sister margaret used to work in the centra
keelie gal'
QUOTE (marina @ 30th Sep 2005, 07:25 AM)
hi keelie gal, i remember the reids and the mcleans, sandra reid was my pal, do you remember alison kelly?

i remember all those shops too, nearly every time my mum sent me to the centra i aould pass out in the queue, i was badly anaemic when i was younger and was well known for passing out, alexandra cranstons sister margaret used to work in the centra

aye i mind them all do you know ped harper ma wee bro..x
GG
Keelie Gal: please note that you have to use the 'ADD REPLY' button below in order to post a message to the boards, rather than using the 'Report' button which just sends the message onle to me.

Here's some of the posts you sent to me rather than to the boards, if you've any problems just let me know by using the 'PM' button:

hello me lovlies. wud just like to say i was brought in castlemilk was born in dennistoun moves to the milk when i was 12 months old i had a rare wee bringing up in the milk aww the neebours rallied roon wan another and aww the weans were pals,we may no have hadmuch in the way of luxuries but we and oor peers made up wi it wi kindness and community spirit something that went years ago and i miss it
hi ya marina aye i remember sandra ried and allison kelly omg ..sandra was in my brothers class ped harper i was in her sisters class canny mind her name but i remember davy reid that was the brother if ye still see em say hello fae us ..xxx

GG.
keelie gal'
sorry pal i have now got a hold of it sorry fer nippin ya heid unsure.gif
Angela Chick
hi keelie am in castlemilk have been since a was 5, a came fae bogany terrace biggrin.gif
marina
i dont remember anyone called harper, i lived at 131 barlia drive
keelie gal'
hi angela know bogany well i lived in machrie drive and then on to castlemilk drive lived in the milk all my life till ten years ago moved to portsmouth,but still miss the milk big time,still come back every year to visit i canny belive the changes in it looks lovely noo biggrin.gif
Angela Chick
keelie i lived in bogany for 11 years,

aye c/milk is had a whole new facelift, gorgeous hooses everwhere noo

i went to maggies secondary biggrin.gif
keelie gal'
i went to glenwood left there in 1985...and the teachers were glad to see the back of me lol tongue.gif
Angela Chick
keelie a hiv sent you a pm(private message) biggrin.gif
keelie gal'
my pal went to maggies cathrine hart lived in c/milk dr married frank manson and moved to the gorbals did ye know her?
Angela Chick
sorry keelie the name does not ring a bell, but a knew a stephen hart
stuarty
hi keelie gal a went to the doms then the maggies i lived in ardencraige road until i joined the wraf ma ma moved to bogany flats a hid ma honeymoon in the flats nae wonder it never lasted
laugh.gif
marina
i knew a scott hart from castlemilk, his mums name was ellen

i lived up the next close to the dowling family, next to them was the camerons (their dad was a train driver) then next to them was the crebars jaqueline, karen and caroline and thomas rainy lived round the corner (he was dead tall and always had a runny nose)
Teeny
Hi Keelie

I lived in Machrie Road, just off C'milk Drive.

Remember the wee shops well, my parents still live in Castlemilk in one of the new houses as their house was demolished.

I was in the same class as Andy Ashcroft and Carol Johnston at Braeside Primary. I also knew a Welsh and Waters, but can't recall their first names, gettin' auld laugh.gif

Cheers - Teeny
marina
tenny i had a susan welsh in my class at braeside
keelie gal'
hi marina aye i remember the camerons and the crebars aswell and the jones family and thomas rainy the big tall fella wi the runny nose i remember brenda and sandra tees aswell and the hunters but i remember sandra hunter she would have been the older sister i think biggrin.gif
marina
aye thats right, ive remembered bettys surname its green
keelie gal'
thanks marina wink.gif i do remember betty and it brings back some good ole memories
Charli
QUOTE (keelie gal' @ 29th Sep 2005, 11:53 PM)
i remember the castlemilk shops and can remember every shop keeper too my gran used to work in the centra shop on that wee row of shops ye had the newsagents then the butchers then the centra shop then ya had saunders hardwear shop then the chemist shop does anyone remember the harpers the welsh's 'taggarts 'molloys 'mackays 'the waters' and the sinclairs the mansons .the rieds.the mcleans mrs mooney the ashcrofts and the johnsons nancy young .joe porter all from machrie drive in the 60,s n 70,s and castlemilk house was in ruins when i was there we had many a fun time when weans could be weans in them days roaming the streets when everyone felt safe and everyone knew each other and looked oot for each others weans the pond the bridge and the waterfall fall bluebell woods behind castle house before it was demolished summers were braw ther the mammies used to come oot n play wi us weans in all sort of street games wi the neebours taking it in turns to make the tea whilt the men went tae rutherglen fer ther pints and games o dominoes ie the glen bar is one i remember my wee da used and ye always knew ya stairs in the close were clean as the wummin took it in turns .....mind the smell o bleach or distenfentant when the stairs were just washed ooor close i remember 63 machrie drive even had nets on the landin windaes and noone even thought tae lock there doors ...ochhhhh gone are the days noo i know wit my wee gran told me aboot the gool ole days.. wub.gif

I was just going thru some of these posts.... and although theyre quite old now.... I know you guys are all still regulars here.

The Welshs in Machrie Drive were my lot.... I think it was Jimmy that lived there. His parents lived Camden St - but had died by '61. If anyone can remember a bit, let me know please as I'm coming up to Glasgow next week to do some research at the Mitchell. Relations are the Goffs, the Halligans and of course The Welsh's. Mostly from the Milk arrea. My nana Rose worked aat the Marlboro hotel? Glen Hotel and the icerink tea shop at crossmoor?(croftmoor?)
My grandad Bill worked at the Britannia? pub for a few pints after a hard day grafting at the shipyards:-)
Any excuse not to buy a pint eh??
Hope everybody is well, you certainly have fun.
Regards smile.gif
marina
hi charli, i went to school with a susan welsh she would be 36 now, and there was an ice rink at crossmyloof its now a morrisons good luck in your research

angela i knew ellen hart and her son scott
marzanne
I remember the bluebell wood an a' and gettin chased by sally pickles and her gang. I remember Mason's fruiterers and my mammy buyin' us oranges for wir christmas stockin's and gaun tae the laundry wi' a' the other mammies and them havin a good gossip while us weans messed aboot gettin in the way.

My Da (we lived in Dougrie Drive) bought a second hand zephyr it was his first car he was 42.

I wonder where a' thae people are now?

Thanks keely girl for the memories.
lexi
Amazing to hear of all the talk from you ladies about the shoaps at Machrie . I remember when the two main shops were in competition with each other. You had the Co-op and next to it Cochranes. They were like wee supermarkets. Saunders was a funny wee shop. Run by a wee Jewish couple they sold all sorts of stuff. It was as if the shop had no Theme. They had a boy who got onto Hughie Greens talent show in the sixties..........talk of the steamie seeng him on the telly. It was kind of unreal in those days to see someone you knew on the box.
The big newsagents at the end was always the best as it sold the quality sweets. Chemist at the other end with the obligatory weighing machine outside........which you only ever put a penny in if you were flush from a bung and then thought ..bugger I.could have bought two caramels with that.The chip shop opened later and it was a Godsend. Freezing winters meant chips to warm you up when you had the spare. My mum and her pal did the tatties during the day. I have lots more stories etc like you all.

Cheers Alex
QUOTE (marina @ 30th Sep 2005, 11:18 AM) *
i knew a scott hart from castlemilk, his mums name was ellen

i lived up the next close to the dowling family, next to them was the camerons (their dad was a train driver) then next to them was the crebars jaqueline, karen and caroline and thomas rainy lived round the corner (he was dead tall and always had a runny nose)
Guest carol *
Anyone remember the strain that was my family lived in marchie above the shops beside the betting shop my nana lived there many years and had 6 children
auchenshuggle
hiya all. i remember coming to "the milk" from the gallowgate when i was about 5. we used to stay in the sarry heid buildings, where the wifies would watch the weans playing while sitting on sentry duty at each end of the back to keep anybody that didni belang there oot. watching all the drunks coming oot the sarry heid and going ower tae the barras fur the jigging. anyway we moved upto castlemilk and landed in downcraig road number 39. i went to netherton primary, old mrs kirkland the headie, the old witch. we used to cut through the woods at the side of st maggys to cross the carmunnock rd to get to school, if you were brave enough to not get caught by old skelly eyes. (the bogey man) i remember when they were building the "new houses" at ardencraig crescent, that was a big playground for the weans, and some adults. after downcraig we went to glenacre drive, then onto glenwood secondary, where they succeeded in making me even mare stupider, still it kept them happy. dogging it to go swimming helped take the edge off it but, in the front gate and oot the back gate and up the ressys fur a swim, get a number 14 bus ootside the school up tae the terminus cut through the farm to carmunnock and up the lane towards east kilbride and into the reserviors for s swim . great fun. another trip fur swimming was waterfoot, that was like the canterbury tales when we done that trip. andersons hole in busby was quite good annaw. we left the milk and moved to e.k., then i moved doon to london where ive been for 28 years.
auchenshuggle
QUOTE (marzanne @ 28th Oct 2006, 08:29 PM) *
I remember the bluebell wood an a' and gettin chased by sally pickles and her gang. I remember Mason's fruiterers and my mammy buyin' us oranges for wir christmas stockin's and gaun tae the laundry wi' a' the other mammies and them havin a good gossip while us weans messed aboot gettin in the way.

My Da (we lived in Dougrie Drive) bought a second hand zephyr it was his first car he was 42.

I wonder where a' thae people are now?

Thanks keely girl for the memories.

sally pickles theres a name from the past, i remember getting belted stupid by mr campbell the p.e. teacher for no dancing with her, we had a big stooshie ower that had ma maw up to gie him laldie.
wee tricia
Hi Keelie, I remeber the Water's from Machrie my brother was best man at Nancy's wedding and godfather to her frst baby. He is still in touch as she married his best friend and they now live in croftfoot.
JJ
Do any of you remember the Delargy's from Castlemilk? The lived on Dougrie - there wiz loads of them - Josephine, John, Peter, Elizabeth, Teresa, Avril and Stephen I think. They left about 1979 to move to the New Town in Cumbernauld?
Macky
high there i remember the delargys from dougrie st they sayed no 7 i stayed no 3 in my close was the mcnultys wylies and smiths dougrie was a great place growing up used to play football in the front and go out the back to play golf and play tennis of the wall i went to castleton 1967-74 then glenwood 1974-78
joycewilson
Hi All, Just Had A Read Back At All The Memories. I Was Brought Up In Tormusk Overlooking St Bart Chapel Overlooking Kyle Square. Am Now In Rutherglen xxxxxxx
bluezcat
QUOTE (auchenshuggle @ 19th Feb 2008, 09:58pm) *
hiya all. i remember coming to "the milk" from the gallowgate when i was about 5. we used to stay in the sarry heid buildings, where the wifies would watch the weans playing while sitting on sentry duty at each end of the back to keep anybody that didni belang there oot. watching all the drunks coming oot the sarry heid and going ower tae the barras fur the jigging. anyway we moved upto castlemilk and landed in downcraig road number 39. i went to netherton primary, old mrs kirkland the headie, the old witch. we used to cut through the woods at the side of st maggys to cross the carmunnock rd to get to school, if you were brave enough to not get caught by old skelly eyes. (the bogey man) i remember when they were building the "new houses" at ardencraig crescent, that was a big playground for the weans, and some adults. after downcraig we went to glenacre drive, then onto glenwood secondary, where they succeeded in making me even mare stupider, still it kept them happy. dogging it to go swimming helped take the edge off it but, in the front gate and oot the back gate and up the ressys fur a swim, get a number 14 bus ootside the school up tae the terminus cut through the farm to carmunnock and up the lane towards east kilbride and into the reserviors for s swim . great fun. another trip fur swimming was waterfoot, that was like the canterbury tales when we done that trip. andersons hole in busby was quite good annaw. we left the milk and moved to e.k., then i moved doon to london where ive been for 28 years.

bluezcat
Auchenshuggle i'm intrigued, i'd love to know who you are. I lived at 39 Downcraig Rd in the 60's and early 70's and i can remember almost all the people up the close. On the top floor was Sandra and Lynne cummings and opposite was Alan,Evelyn and Stephen Smith. Next floor down was more Smiths, Gordon, Ian and twins Christine and Jeanette. Opp them was (i think) an old man McGinty who chopped sticks on the landing for firewood. Next down was Alan, Ann and Carole McKechnie and opp them was (i think) Robert Hart,and on the ground floor was Alan and Brian McClune and opp them for a time was the more twins, Steven and Anthony Brannan. I went to Netherton and i remember Miss Kirkland, if she was teaching today she'd get done for child abuse She was terrifying. I don't remember her being head while i was there though , our headie was Mr Nichol.

bluezcat
Auchenshuggle i'm intrigued, i'd love to know who you are. I lived at 39 Downcraig Rd in the 60's and early 70's and i can remember almost all the people up the close. On the top floor was Sandra and Lynne cummings and opposite was Alan,Evelyn and Stephen Smith. Next floor down was more Smiths, Gordon, Ian and twins Christine and Jeanette. Opp them was (i think) an old man McGinty who chopped sticks on the landing for firewood. Next down was Alan, Ann and Carole McKechnie and opp them was (i think) Robert Hart,and on the ground floor was Alan and Brian McClune and opp them for a time was the more twins, Steven and Anthony Brannan. I went to Netherton and i remember Miss Kirkland, if she was teaching today she'd get done for child abuse She was terrifying. I don't remember her being head while i was there though , our headie was Mr Nichol.

andypisces
All of you castlemilk folk, do any of you know the cairns family who lived on barlia dr. Four boys, Davie, james, malcolm and edward. would love to get in touch with them . They are my cousins.....Andy
stuarty
QUOTE (andypisces @ 15th Aug 2009, 12:55pm) *
All of you castlemilk folk, do any of you know the cairns family who lived on barlia dr. Four boys, Davie, james, malcolm and edward. would love to get in touch with them . They are my cousins.....Andy
hi andy did you know gerry finnie a talked to him on friends reunited he is still a butcher he used to go out way ma pal maggie mcglauchlin from dunigoil terr
auchenshuggle
QUOTE (bluezcat @ 14th Aug 2009, 09:14pm) *

aye hello bluezcat, i`m wan o the smiths, ian tae be exact. aye it wis a rerr terr living in downcraig rd. yir right aboot old mrs kirkland, the old bugger, i think she usedti be mates wi myra hinley tongue.gif naw seriously she used to be a really good laxative fur the weans. dae ye remember going ti the shops next ti netherton and getting a big bag o cooking chocolate and scoffing it aw doon an nearly boaking it aw back up again? a hope naebody`s having there tea jist noo, if yi ur i`m sorry sad.gif well that`s enuff frae me the noo, howzitgaun your end bluezcat , been on the tiles lately ha ha.
stratson
Was Sandra Commings Dad's name Jimmy, right now don't remember her Mum's name??
If so I visited to see the new house way back in the 50's I remember their daughter had auburn hair, would be interested to hear about her parents. Don't recall other children. smile.gif
joycewilson
Good to have a read of this thread and the memories of Castlemilk.
I remember the shops at Machrie well too, you had to go to Saunders shop to get a school tie.
I was brought up in Tormusk Road, went to Braeside then Glenwood.
I had friends from Machrie Joy Black lived in the T close right across the road from the shops, also was friends with karoline Gibson she was from machrie Drive, still in touch with both of them.
Lynn Flemming lived above me and I have also managed to get in touch with her too.
My older brother John (Wilkie) was two years above me at school.
I have three sisters Janette, Grace and Norma, two brothers Charles and John anyone remember us? smile.gif
auchenshuggle
QUOTE (stratson @ 16th Aug 2009, 09:14am) *
If so I visited to see the new house way back in the 50's I remember their daughter had auburn hair, would be interested to hear about her parents. Don't recall other children. smile.gif

hello stratson, i canny remember the cumming`s first names, it wis always mr,&mrs cummings, i remember she always asked us ti get her fags frae the van, fling the monet oot the windae wrapped up in a wee bit paper. pity i couldny huv thrown the fags back the same way, instead o running up aw the stairs but never mind. still disni help yi oot, but i was only a wean honest i didni mean it. wink.gif
elso
Do"s anyone remember the Dplans that lived in 123 Barlia Drive(road,or st) they where my cousins,my Auntie Died really young leaving my Uncle to bring up 6 kids and done a Brilliant job
bluezcat
QUOTE (auchenshuggle @ 15th Aug 2009, 08:55pm) *
aye hello bluezcat, i`m wan o the smiths, ian tae be exact. aye it wis a rerr terr living in downcraig rd. yir right aboot old mrs kirkland, the old bugger, i think she usedti be mates wi myra hinley tongue.gif naw seriously she used to be a really good laxative fur the weans. dae ye remember going ti the shops next ti netherton and getting a big bag o cooking chocolate and scoffing it aw doon an nearly boaking it aw back up again? a hope naebody`s having there tea jist noo, if yi ur i`m sorry sad.gif well that`s enuff frae me the noo, howzitgaun your end bluezcat , been on the tiles lately ha ha.

Hi Ian I'm laughing at the cooking chocolate!! I remember you . I remember your sisters better as they were more my age . Yes Kirkland was a right old witch, seriously scary to a five yr old. She would have been maybe 50 at the time but to me she was more like 80. No teacher today would be allowed to terrorise the kids the way she did, and that was without using corporal punishment. I can also remember going to Waterfoot, a big gang of us, with a bottle of ginger and some jam pieces. Also went to school the same route as you thru the woods and then thru the little gap in the bushes and running down to cross Carmunnock Road. I remember playing in the grounds of Maggie Mary's, sledging down the big hill next to the woods, going up the Cathkin Braes in the summer hols when there was different shows on everyday for the kids. Do you remember thr old guy chopping sticks on the landing? I think he was called McGinty. I went to Glenwood too, for a year, then we moved away from Glasgow and i have a very good memory from my time there but, try as i might, i can't remember another school called the Grange. Maybe my memory's playing tricks.

bluezcat
QUOTE (stratson @ 16th Aug 2009, 10:14am) *

Hi I don't know Sandra's dads name but her mum was called Cathy. Sandra did have reddish hair and i remember her nickname was Lulu as she looked like her. There was also Lynn a few years younger than Sandra and i think there was an older daughter who was married and away from home when i lived there. I could be wrong on that tho.
stratson
QUOTE (bluezcat @ 17th Aug 2009, 10:03pm) *
Hi I don't know Sandra's dads name but her mum was called Cathy. Sandra did have reddish hair and i remember her nickname was Lulu as she looked like her. There was also Lynn a few years younger than Sandra and i think there was an older daughter who was married and away from home when i lived there. I could be wrong on that tho.

Thanks bluezcat, your right, I recollect it was Cathy, her man's name was Jimmy. Sandra was a lovely kid, obviously Lynn would have been born after my visit. They came from Kidston Street, Jimmy was a friend of my then husband ,now deceased. Sounds like Jimmy and Cathy have passed on as the children were still residing together.
Can remember Cathy being over the moon withy her new house. How the years slip by! smile.gif
elso
QUOTE (elso @ 17th Aug 2009, 08:17pm) *
Do"s anyone remember the Dplans that lived in 123 Barlia Drive(road,or st) they where my cousins,my Auntie Died really young leaving my Uncle to bring up 6 kids and done a Brilliant job

Sorry about that but I've misspelled their name it is The DOLANS,and it was123 BARLIA DRIVE, the kids were called Peter,Marie,Eleanor,John,Andrew,and Elizabeth,remember they lived on the top floor flat
joycewilson
Do any of you remember the Murphys from Barlia there was loads of them? rolleyes.gif
auchenshuggle
QUOTE (bluezcat @ 17th Aug 2009, 09:57pm) *
Hi Ian I'm laughing at the cooking chocolate!! I remember you . I remember your sisters better as they were more my age . Yes Kirkland was a right old witch, seriously scary to a five yr old. She would have been maybe 50 at the time but to me she was more like 80. No teacher today would be allowed to terrorise the kids the way she did, and that was without using corporal punishment. I can also remember going to Waterfoot, a big gang of us, with a bottle of ginger and some jam pieces. Also went to school the same route as you thru the woods and then thru the little gap in the bushes and running down to cross Carmunnock Road. I remember playing in the grounds of Maggie Mary's, sledging down the big hill next to the woods, going up the Cathkin Braes in the summer hols when there was different shows on everyday for the kids. Do you remember thr old guy chopping sticks on the landing? I think he was called McGinty. I went to Glenwood too, for a year, then we moved away from Glasgow and i have a very good memory from my time there but, try as i might, i can't remember another school called the Grange. Maybe my memory's playing tricks.

hi bluezcat, good to hear frae yi again, first aff, i think the old guy you`re on aboot chopping the firewood was mr.goldie, the ones next door to us. remember when he used ti come hame frae the pub and beat the bejesus oot his missus ?, used ti keep the whole close awake. the grange school wis up the tap of castlemilk drive on the left haun side, i remember gaun swimming there sometimes. as fur yer memory playing tricks, yi went to glenwood, what d`ye expect ?.as fur oor brains playing us up, am away ti put mine through a wee rinse cycle, catch yi later wink.gif
steve smith
hi bluezcat i lived at no 39 my name is stephen it's great to recall the good old days.
shuggie
hi folks i,ve been looking through friends reunited and found your site as well in the search for old pals and faces. i stayed in glenacre drive and went to dougrie terrace and maggies, but my mates and people i knew went to maggie n glenwood and stayed all over castlemilk from the valley to downcraig. its funny but when i heard the name sally pickles a canny put a face to the name but a remember the name well.a also knew a delargy and dolan and molloy.am no great wi remembering the street names , ma sister stayed around the corner from hoddam,ma brother stayed down the street past the legion and both still live in castlemilk another on castlemilk drive.was there from 1960/ 88 last 8 years in ardencraig road opposite the flats. but its been 20 years noo and tey were the good ald days . cheers fur the memories.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.