Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Castlemilk
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Lost Friends & Relatives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
daleman
    QUOTE (bluezcat @ 14th Aug 2009, 10:10pm) *
    Auchenshuggle i'm intrigued, i'd love to know who you are. I lived at 39 Downcraig Rd in the 60's and early 70's and i can remember almost all the people up the close. On the top floor was Sandra and Lynne cummings and opposite was Alan,Evelyn and Stephen Smith. Next floor down was more Smiths, Gordon, Ian and twins Christine and Jeanette. Opp them was (i think) an old man McGinty who chopped sticks on the landing for firewood. Next down was Alan, Ann and Carole McKechnie and opp them was (i think) Robert Hart,and on the ground floor was Alan and Brian McClune and opp them for a time was the more twins, Steven and Anthony Brannan. I went to Netherton and i remember Miss Kirkland, if she was teaching today she'd get done for child abuse She was terrifying. I don't remember her being head while i was there though , our headie was Mr Nichol.

daleman
    QUOTE (daleman @ 29th Aug 2009, 07:59am) *

Bluezcat, trying to think who you are my name is Stephen and i too remember no 39. Do you remember my dad"s work van? used 2 look like [ironside]
      bluezcat
      QUOTE (daleman @ 29th Aug 2009, 08:15am) *
      Bluezcat, trying to think who you are my name is Stephen and i too remember no 39. Do you remember my dad"s work van? used 2 look like [ironside]

Stephen, I remember your dad's work van and his many cars. I remember you too. In fact i spoke to you on the phone recently. Last week to be exact. YOU'RE MY BROTHER !!!! Lol ha ha. Did you ever get in touch with Billy Wilson? It's about 3 yrs since he emailed me looking for you and he might still be on Friends Reunited. Speak soon ok.
      scoob77
      QUOTE (bluezcat @ 15th Sep 2009, 08:48pm) *
      Stephen, I remember your dad's work van and his many cars. I remember you too. In fact i spoke to you on the phone recently. Last week to be exact. YOU'RE MY BROTHER !!!! Lol ha ha. Did you ever get in touch with Billy Wilson? It's about 3 yrs since he emailed me looking for you and he might still be on Friends Reunited. Speak soon ok.

oh quality, sooo funny smile.gif
      daleman
      QUOTE (scoob77 @ 15th Sep 2009, 10:57pm) *
      oh quality, sooo funny smile.gif

scoob77 where bouts in the milk did u live?
      scoob77
      i lived up castlemilk drive, 212 then 204
      joycewilson
      Lol Bluezcat liked that one that was funny lol.
      I lived in Tormusk Road and went to Braeside then Glenwood both sadley gone now though. x
      bluezcat
      QUOTE (joycewilson @ 25th Sep 2009, 09:54am) *
      Lol Bluezcat liked that one that was funny lol.
      I lived in Tormusk Road and went to Braeside then Glenwood both sadley gone now though. x

Joyce, Stephen is my wee brother and i love him really, lol. I felt a bit mean after posting that but he saw the funny side. I sent him the link for Glasgow Guide, it's a great site. I went to Glenwood too, but i really can't remember the Grange at all, even though it was there all the time i was living in Castlemilk. It just doesn't ring any bells. Favourite teacher at Glenwood was (Art) Mr Spence.
      joycewilson
      Bluezcat what year did you leave Glenwood? I left in 1977, but am the youngest of six so if your older than me you might know my brothers or sisters? x
      sharon weeks
      QUOTE (joycewilson @ 18th Aug 2009, 09:34am) *
      Do any of you remember the Murphys from Barlia there was loads of them? rolleyes.gif

you said does any body remember the murphys from barlia. well i do there was louds of them my friend margaret boyce live round the corner from them. she lived in machrie driv and i lived in castlemilk drive and i went to glenwood school.my maiden name wassharon watson
      bluezcat
      QUOTE (joycewilson @ 12th Oct 2009, 06:57pm) *
      Bluezcat what year did you leave Glenwood? I left in 1977, but am the youngest of six so if your older than me you might know my brothers or sisters? x

Joyce, We moved in '72 so i had to change schools in second year, but my leaving year was 1975. I can remember loads of people even though i was only there 2 yrs. Do you have a sister called Irene?
      joycewilson
      Hi Bluezcat, No I dont have a sister irene and cant think of anyone I know even from school with that name.
      You might know my brother John Wilson his nick name was WILKIE?
      bluezcat
      QUOTE (joycewilson @ 14th Oct 2009, 10:22am) *
      Hi Bluezcat, No I dont have a sister irene and cant think of anyone I know even from school with that name.
      You might know my brother John Wilson his nick name was WILKIE?

Hi again Joyce, Irene Wilson was in some of my classes at Glenwood tho we weren't best of pals. I went to Netherton and moved up to Glenwood with Alison Brown,Shirley Barrett, Margaret Burgess, Georgette Wilson (any relative ?), Twins Jeanette and Christine Smith, Gina Seath/Seith and at Glenwood i remember Carol Falkner, Myra Moody Jackie Dunbar, Anne Hamilton and Mary Sturgeon. Just a few names i recall. I don't remember your brother though, come to think of it i can't remember many of the boy's names apart from primary school. biggrin.gif
      joycewilson
      QUOTE (bluezcat @ 15th Oct 2009, 10:58pm) *
      Hi again Joyce, Irene Wilson was in some of my classes at Glenwood tho we weren't best of pals. I went to Netherton and moved up to Glenwood with Alison Brown,Shirley Barrett, Margaret Burgess, Georgette Wilson (any relative ?), Twins Jeanette and Christine Smith, Gina Seath/Seith and at Glenwood i remember Carol Falkner, Myra Moody Jackie Dunbar, Anne Hamilton and Mary Sturgeon. Just a few names i recall. I don't remember your brother though, come to think of it i can't remember many of the boy's names apart from primary school. biggrin.gif

Hiya I remember Mary Sturgeon from your list and the name Jackie Dunbar rings a bell to me as for the rest nope.
      What age are you IF its no too cheeky lol Im 48
      bluezcat
      QUOTE (joycewilson @ 16th Oct 2009, 09:56pm) *
      Hiya I remember Mary Sturgeon from your list and the name Jackie Dunbar rings a bell to me as for the rest nope.

I'm 50 Joyce, older than my parents were when i was at school. The years have flown by. I palled around with Mary at Glenwood though we lost touch when i moved. I'd not been back to Glasgow for a few years when i was on a train to Coventry and got talking to one of the stewards who was Glaswegian. Turns out he was Mary's brother and still lived in Castlemilk. It's a small world for sure smile.gif
      joycewilson
      Sure is a small world bluezcat that must have been nice for you.
      Do you remember Tommy Maxwell, Lynne Flemming, Linda Crosby, John Kerr, Billy Black, Karoline Gibson, Ian Calvert, Alice Fleeting or Grace Reid?
      Must be someone we both remember lol
      bluezcat
      QUOTE (joycewilson @ 23rd Oct 2009, 09:17pm) *
      Do you remember Tommy Maxwell, Lynne Flemming, Linda Crosby, John Kerr, Billy Black, Karoline Gibson, Ian Calvert, Alice Fleeting or Grace Reid?

I can't remember any of those names for definite, though Karoline Gibson rings a bell. Lol. Let's see....do we know anyone in common? Carole Henderson, Moira Anderson, Jim Diamond, Brian Kinnear, Anne Connelly, Catherine Hamilton, John Hamilton, June McWade, Tommy Gemmell, Malcolm McDonald, Charles Barclay, Danny Cusack, Marie and Ian Sherriff , James Chambers, George Bonner, George Smith, Senga Morton, John Ewing, David Findlay, Brian McCluskey, Irene Graham. These are not all from Glenwood, some of them went to St Maggies and other schools but i've forgotten more folk than i can remember. When friends reunited first started i would get e mails from old school pals who obviously knew me, but i didnt have a clue who they were. Lol.
      penny dainty
      scuse me butting in to your memories here , but I knew a group of girls who used to come down to the Linn Park and hang round with us and a few of the names are ringing bells , we were all round the same age which was as you mentioned 50.Was Jeanette whom you mentioned tall with dark hair and Gina shorter and very pretty , another girl Julie I think , she lost her Dad in the 70's.Memories are hazy , but does any of it ring a bell with either of you.They all went to Glenwood.Geraldine Millar was another name I mind as well.
      joycewilson
      Hi Bluezcat and penny, I do recall Charles Barkley he was a yr or so above me.
      Karoline Gibson was my best friend she was from Machrie Drive got called Gibby, we are still in touch just Xmas cards really.
      Cant recall anyone you mentioned penny where were you from? rolleyes.gif
      bluezcat
      QUOTE (penny dainty @ 26th Oct 2009, 04:58am) *
      scuse me butting in to your memories here , but I knew a group of girls who used to come down to the Linn Park and hang round with us and a few of the names are ringing bells , we were all round the same age which was as you mentioned 50.Was Jeanette whom you mentioned tall with dark hair and Gina shorter and very pretty , another girl Julie I think , she lost her Dad in the 70's.Memories are hazy , but does any of it ring a bell with either of you.They all went to Glenwood.Geraldine Millar was another name I mind as well.

Penny, Jeanette was tall with dark hair and her twin Christine was shorter and fairer. Jeanette was best pals with Gina from primary school.I don't recall anyone called Julie but i do remember Geraldine. I lost touch with them all when we moved from Castlemilk in '72 but a few years later i bumped into Jeanette and Gina in St Enoch's Sq. Auchenshuggle (Ian) who posts here is Jeanette's brother. I was in touch with her thru FR about 5 or 6 yrs ago but i don't think she's still listed.
      bluezcat
      QUOTE (joycewilson @ 26th Oct 2009, 09:53am) *
      Hi Bluezcat and penny, I do recall Charles Barkley he was a yr or so above me.
      Karoline Gibson was my best friend she was from Machrie Drive got called Gibby, we are still in touch just Xmas cards really.
      Cant recall anyone you mentioned penny where were you from? rolleyes.gif

Joyce Charles (Chic) Barclay was in my class at Netherton and we both won school prizes for being 'best improved' girl and boy lol. We'd be about 10 or 11 at the time. It's doubtful he'd remember me though. smile.gif
      penny dainty
      Does sound like the girls I knew.Geralidine and I went to Cardonald college together .I lived in Simshill Joycee , but I knew a few folk from Glenwood.
      I'm sure now you mention it that Jeanette did have a twin, I dont know if she would remember me in particular , but I COULD POSSIBLY JOG HER MEMORY ABOUT A FEW OF THE ESCAPADES WE ALL GOT UP TO.Sorry caps on.
      littlevil1
      Well I'm just wondering if anyone knows Elizabeth Smith, she left Castlemilk quite young, her mother was Lynne and her dad was in the military, she had a younger brother and I think his name was Ian, she's married and has twins now but I have lost contact with her over the last few years..
      auchenshuggle
      QUOTE (penny dainty @ 27th Oct 2009, 04:37am) *
      Does sound like the girls I knew.Geralidine and I went to Cardonald college together .I lived in Simshill Joycee , but I knew a few folk from Glenwood.
      I'm sure now you mention it that Jeanette did have a twin, I dont know if she would remember me in particular , but I COULD POSSIBLY JOG HER MEMORY ABOUT A FEW OF THE ESCAPADES WE ALL GOT UP TO.Sorry caps on.

iv`e only jist noticed this post penny, janette & christine are ma wee sisters, so spill the beans whit did yi aw get up ti doon the linn park, ya cheeky wee monkeys, did yi huv the parky chasing yis?. if it`s as bad as whit i goat up ti, do`nt bother. tongue.gif
      jeani
      QUOTE (sharon weeks @ 14th Oct 2009, 01:39am) *
      you said does any body remember the murphys from barlia. well i do there was louds of them my friend margaret boyce live round the corner from them. she lived in machrie driv and i lived in castlemilk drive and i went to glenwood school.my maiden name wassharon watson

hi sharon, did you by any chance have a sister called margaret ,n a sister emily, n did you stay in the 5 apartments in castlemilk drive ??,,,, jeani
      stuarty
      QUOTE (joycewilson @ 23rd Oct 2009, 08:17pm) *

a used to go out way john kerr kerso he was with the young wild team in birgidale and a knew an ann calvert way long red hair did linda crosby have a brother henry and james they lived in the five apartments in ardencrag road next to tormusk road and marie sherriff was in my class at the maggies
      ReneH
      ah the memories!! i grew up in 7 dougrie street with my sisters ann, margaret and brother billy (hetherington). my sister margaret used to be best pals with john delargy - i remember them getting caught on the roof of the post office - they were always up to some sort of trouble them 2 lol. my sister ann was friends with the gouthers and the taylors who were also from dougrie street.
      i remember all the shops as well my sister was the first person in the shop gilbraiths she got a gold tray full of fruit coz she was the first person in. then there was the butchers the bakers and then woolworths which is the oasis now! ahh the good ole days. any one remember any of us would be nice to hear from you smile.gif

Rene
      Castlegirl
      QUOTE (joycewilson @ 16th Oct 2009, 09:14pm) *

Shirley Barratt lives in England now and has done for some time. Some of the Barratt clan are on Friends Reunited.
      Castlegirl
      QUOTE (scoob77 @ 20th Sep 2009, 03:20pm) *
      i lived up castlemilk drive, 212 then 204

Did you know the Wlakers and the McNulty's?
      proudmaryhiller
      Hi I'm a West End girl but I wen't out with a boy from Castlemilk in the 1970's I won't make his name public but from what I can remember he lived in Barlia Drive with his parents and two older sisters,often wondered what happened to him!
      Garyt
      Really enjoyed reading this site, so many names that i remember and still see wandering the streets of Castlemilk from time to time. i lived in Machrie all my young days until they pulled my house down, i was born in this house in the late 60s Click to view attachment I attended Braeside and then Glenwood 1980-84. I hope to hear from any one from the area as it seems i missed out in some of the chat. i went to Primary with Ped Harper, Gary Manson, John/ Andy Hunter, Shiv lal, James Welsh,Steven Cunningham, shug Mcdougal, Mat Jonston, Angela/ Alison/Agnis Bisset(tripplets) from barlia terr. Marie Mckay Carol Mackie to name but a few.
      joycewilson
      Great pic of Castlemilk in the snow...remember that part well used to go to a few friends houses in Machrie...also Rosynn Ross and Gina McLaughlan who lived at Castlemilk Drive...Wilma Sweeney too....
      Garyt
      Hi joyce im sure my sister hung around with gina , did she stay two closes up from Machrie Rd same close as the Blackshaws.
      joycewilson
      Yep Gary, Gina did stay two closes up from machrie Road.....what is your sisters name?
      *Donna*
      Hi all. i know its been a while since u all posted but was wondering if any of yous remember the quigleys from castlemilk drive?x
      rondo
      QUOTE (bluezcat @ 26th Oct 2009, 12:31am) *
      I can't remember any of those names for definite, though Karoline Gibson rings a bell. Lol. Let's see....do we know anyone in common? Carole Henderson, Moira Anderson, Jim Diamond, Brian Kinnear, Anne Connelly, Catherine Hamilton, John Hamilton, June McWade, Tommy Gemmell, Malcolm McDonald, Charles Barclay, Danny Cusack, Marie and Ian Sherriff , James Chambers, George Bonner, George Smith, Senga Morton, John Ewing, David Findlay, Brian McCluskey, Irene Graham. These are not all from Glenwood, some of them went to St Maggies and other schools but i've forgotten more folk than i can remember. When friends reunited first started i would get e mails from old school pals who obviously knew me, but i didnt have a clue who they were. Lol.

hi is the irene graham her maiden name and did she have sisters sandra annmarie and a bro david if so would you have a way of contacting them for me as they are family iv lost touch with and wid like to find
      bluezcat
      Hi Rondo, Last i heard The Grahams were in Airdrie. Irene was in contact with me a while back through FR so maybe it's worth you checking to see if she's still on there.
      *billy*
      QUOTE (*Donna* @ 29th Jun 2010, 12:16pm) *
      Hi all. i know its been a while since u all posted but was wondering if any of yous remember the quigleys from castlemilk drive?x

Yes i know tommy and micheal quigley from castlemilk drive they are my cousins, they moved to south africa in the seventees, tommy is still there and mike is living in gateshead.
      Anonymous
      Hi All

Letting you know that John Fay (fomerly of Ardmaleish Crescent, Ardencraig Road, Castlemilk Drive, Downcraig Road and lastly, Govanhill) passed away on 27/9/10.

May you rest in peace my friend, x
      davie thomson
      Hi Folks,
      I am looking for info about Jimmy Laird ?? He was a Royal Navy Aircraft Handler onboard HMS Eagle in 1966 and he and his family came from Castlemilk. If any of you good folk remember anything about him or his family I would be most grateful.
      james.tc
      sorry to go off topic just wondering if you know or are related to james thomson who hung about/lived with a renee ewing/mcshane in drumoyne cromdale or paisley road west been looking for years just chancing my luck got to get lucky once cheers james
      davie thomson
      QUOTE (james.t.c. @ 4th Oct 2010, 01:52am) *
      sorry to go off topic just wondering if you know or are related to james thomson who hung about/lived with a renee ewing/mcshane in drumoyne cromdale or paisley road west been looking for years just chancing my luck got to get lucky once cheers james

Sorry James no relation :- you have got to chance your luck, hence the reason I 'm on here looking for an old mate!!!! we might get lucky sometime.
      Davie
      james.tc
      cheers for letting me know another one off the list just another 20,000 to go lol
      annie laurie
      James try under Drumoyne school on Friendsreunited
      I think I remember a Renee Ewing from Drumoyne School

What age group would she be in, ?Good luck Cheers laugh.gif

*Donna*
      hi did anyone know the quigleys from castlemilk drive... Dad hugh and sons stephen and paul (swig) xx
      weesue
      Here's a link to my new Castlemilk History Facebook page... With loads and loads of interesting stuff... Castlemilk History Facebook
      Tam McG
      QUOTE (*billy* @ 23rd Sep 2010, 06:19pm) *
      Yes i know tommy and micheal quigley from castlemilk drive they are my cousins, they moved to south africa in the seventees, tommy is still there and mike is living in gateshead.

Hi Billy
      I would love to get in touch with Tommy. We were close pals before he left for South Africa. We used to have a paper round together. Do you remember the Real Madrid night?
      Tam McGhee
      Hannah Kirby
      I came across this page whilst looking for my maternal grandfather. I know it's a long shot but I was just wondering if anyone who worked or lived at castlemilk children's home, knew of a boy by the name James Campbell Cairns. Thank you.
      Deana Henderson
      Just wondering if anyone here knew of the Gordon Family on Croftfoot Drive? We, the Hendersons, lived next door to them and the Marshalls. Happy times.
      *james*
      Hi..just wondering if anyone knew my auld man from Castlemilk?

His name was Andy (Panda) McKay.

Thank you.
      This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.