Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: George Square
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > George Square
davyab44
Having visited G.S. on each return to Glasgow I always think back to Oct19th./62.....that was the occasion of a state visit by King Olav V of Norway and our battallion had the job of mounting the royal guard of honour.

I was with the 1st. Bn.Glasgow Highlanders 9th.H.L.I. and we thought we looked really smart with our green doublets sent from Stirling castle....also white sporrans and belts as well as white bayonet frogs (the holder that the bayonet is carried in when not on the rifle)........which brings me to the crux of the matter.

Picture, if you will, the scene: the military brass falling over themselves trying to please.......the dignitaries......us resplendent in our MacKenzie kilts.........and of course the Glesca punter oot tae see the show.......we're ready for the royal salute....the order is bellowed "Guard will fix bayonets, FIX".....at his point you grab your bayonet with your left hand and invert it.....on the command "BAYONETS".....you insert the bayonet onto the end of the rifle......if done correctly, you will hear a click. To make sure it's attached securely (and for pizzazz) hold the rifle with your left hand and give it a good smack with the palm of your right hand........unfortunately a young fellow had not fixed his bayonet securely and I swear you could hear it clatter over the cobblestones all the way to Hampden Park.

When the Parade was over, they marched us up some street and we right wheeled into a warehouse where each man got a couple of MacEwan's "wee dumps".....no a bad day at the office! biggrin.gif
witshisname
Here's a couple pics i took me auld china i hope ye like em,i think i took about 50 pics in the Square.
witshisname
just magnificent smile.gif
witshisname
smile.gif
jaybee
A wee memory from my 88 year old mother. She remembers well the day the war ended. It would seem that just about everyone gathered the kids together and families all made their way to George Square. She tells me that nothing was announced on the radio for Glaswegians to do this, it just seemed appropriate that this should be the place to celebrate. So off went my mother, father, sister and me the wee baby walking all the way from Crown Street at the toll to George Square. Quite a walk I would say. When they got there the square was jammed with Glaswegians celebrating war's end. The Square sure holds a special place in her memory and heart. Jaybee
Elma
I can recall VE Day in George Square, I was young but I do remember it. My mother, father and I returned that day from a visit to my grandparents in Annan and had arrived at St. Enoch Station. We made out way to George Square, maybe following the crowd and stood there with the hundreds (thousands?) there, listening to the broadcast of Churchill and the King. Everyone was cheering and dancing and laughing. It was quite a time and I'm glad I was there, it is indeed a very special memory.
glasgowken
Christmas decorations going up about 10 days ago.

rossmckenzie
This link to the front page of the Future Glasgow website shows you a great Russell Davies picture of the lights last year and if you click on the picture it will then show you some of Russells great night time pictures of Glasgow which are on show at future Glasgow this month...this guy does fantastic work.I love his pictures
.Glasgow George Square xmas lights
wee mags
hi Ross your pictures are no bad either wink.gif
Avril
Does anyone know if they are putting an ice rink in George Square this Christmas? We were home at Christmas a couple of years ago and they atmosphere in the square was magic. Just like a Christmas card! There was even someone skating round in a Santa Claus outfit.....ur wiz it the real Santa??????? biggrin.gif wub.gif
lindamac
wub.gif biggrin.gif My love of the square is remembered by the younger years of visiting to admire the xmas lights as a wee girl. Naturaly in my older Dating years,it was the square where I got walked, to catch the late night bus for home,by friends & the occasional wee lumbar haha. My husband being the last one who sat with me & it was on xmas eve of 1979 amidst the beuty of them same sparkling xmas lights of my child hood. We married 3yrs later (he was my best lifetime xmas gift haha)
sumac
lindamac, you're a wee romantic! smile.gif
allypally
One of my best memories of the square is in the early eighties whwn my daughter who had just become a police officer and was on duty for the rememberance day parade so we being proud parents made our way there to see her in her dress uniform.
There she was standing behind all the dignitaries and high heid yins at the cenotaph aand as the old soldiers in wheelchairs were passing the cenotaph a small private plane flew quite low overhead people of course looked up when from the crowd came the words " Its awright folks its wan ah ooors " All the dignitaries and high heid yins tried to look sombre and serious but you could see the shoulders going and the hands to the faces.

""" Only in Glasgow """
Java
laugh.gif ...Yer right, only in Glasgow.... laugh.gif
stratson
QUOTE (allypally @ 11th Nov 2006, 07:12 PM)
One of my best memories of the square is in the early eighties whwn my daughter who had just become a police officer and was on duty for the rememberance day parade so we being proud parents made our way there to see her in her dress uniform.
There she was standing behind all the dignitaries and high heid yins at the cenotaph aand as the old soldiers in wheelchairs were passing the cenotaph a small private plane flew quite low overhead people of course looked up when from the crowd came the words  " Its awright folks its wan ah ooors " All the dignitaries and high heid yins tried to look sombre and serious but you could see the shoulders going and the hands to the faces.

""" Only in Glasgow """

doesn't it jist make ye so proud yer wan o them. biggrin.gif

born and bred.

we are ra peepil. tongue.gif
stuarty
when i was in the womans junior air corps before I joined the W R A F............. I laid a wreath of poppies and was so nervous that was in 1977 then we went and had tea and cakes at the city chambers with the lord provest it was a memory i will always be proud of I was just sorry my dad died the year before as he would have been so proud of me
Melody
Aw Stuarty I'm sure he was looking down on you that day. smile.gif
lindamac
biggrin.gif One of my childhood memories was getting my ears pierced at The shop called Robin Hoods off the square(ouchy as a had thick lobes like my da) but a looked at masel in every window thereafter watching ma shiny Gold sleepers haha off we trotted loaded up with the yuki smelling Tcp & savlon antiseptic, I was 11yrs old laugh.gif
lindamac
biggrin.gif how does one get to see georges square frae other parts of the world? huh.gif
lindamac
biggrin.gif It is cool noo folks DavyaB44 gave me directions for the square Thanks folks. wub.gif
d.c.
For anyone else needing links to George Square and other city webcams, here they are:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/webcams/

Christmas lights were switched on in George Square last night, so you will catch a view of them if you check out the webcam after dark. You will also find links on that page to various traffic cameras around the city's motorway network. They don't always point at traffic jams, you can often spot some interesting city landmarks.

There is another webcam on the roof of the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, pointing south down Buchanan Street. Picture quality is not great, especially if the sun is shining on it:

http://webcams.scotsman.com

BBC Scotland has a couple of webcams too. One of them is on the roof of Broadcasting House, Queen Margaret Drive and points across the road on to the Kibble Palace in the Botanic Gardens:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/webplay/webcams/kibble.shtml

Broadcasting House closes next year when the BBC moves south of the river, to new studios at Pacific Quay. The other BBC webcam sits on the roof of the Crowne Plaza Hotel at the SECC, pointing across the river to follow construction of the new BBC building:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/aboutus/paci...cam/index.shtml

DC
d.c.
The links posted above don't seem to be working at the moment when clicked on, it looks like the GG redirect function is disabling them. I'm not sure whether that is a temporary fault, or if we are perhaps not meant to post external links now. They will work if you copy and paste them, but I can edit them out completely if it is preferred that we don't link to other sites.

DC
Heather
I passed through George Square last week, and it is a dreich looking place since they took the grass and flowers away. I don't think I will ever get used to the way it is now, especially all that red ground. It would have looked better if they had put nice coloured flagstones down.
lindamac
huh.gif How sad tae hear that Heather sounds bleek is it?
celtic-chic67
Here is an old photo of George Square (CIRCA 1960)
IT is the 528 & 530 rasc remembrance day parade.
My grandfather Tommy Walker is marching in them.
hughmac
My best memories of the Square are from around 1962/65 when the Corporation put on entertainment during the summer. There were pop groups and jazz bands every lunchtime and everyone came out the offices and sat on the grass eating their sandwiches and listening to the music.
My most favourite band was Alex Boyd and the West Coast Jazz Band. The clarinet player would turn up from his work in his post office van, play the gig and then jump back in the van and return to his work!

The city's street entertainers would also turn up and play until the police came to move them on, and then they'd dodge in and out of the crowd to escape.
mad mo
one of my favorite time of george square was the xmas lights going up and the fire work displays beautiful
RonD
I was about seven years old (1955) when my older sister took to George Square from Auchinairn on Remembrance Day. I watched the ceremony with awe. Just after it we passed on City Hall a busker who looked as he had seen better days playing a cello type instrument. What stood out in mind was at the bottom of the instrument was affixed a saxophone horn. My sister threw ina penny or two. I remember thinking I wish I knew how to play an instrument that I could do that to get some pennies. smile.gif
stratson
QUOTE (RonD @ 10th Jan 2010, 08:02am) *
I was about seven years old (1955) when my older sister took to George Square from Auchinairn on Remembrance Day. I watched the ceremony with awe. Just after it we passed on City Hall a busker who looked as he had seen better days playing a cello type instrument. What stood out in mind was at the bottom of the instrument was affixed a saxophone horn. My sister threw ina penny or two. I remember thinking I wish I knew how to play an instrument that I could do that to get some pennies. smile.gif

Never too late Rond. laugh.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
About three years ago, an old school friend sent me a Christmas card with a photo of George Square on the front. The Square was covered in snow. The photo was taken in 1962 - my last winter in Glasgow. I liked the photo so much I've had it framed and sits right in front of me when I am using the computer.

To be honest, I don't remember it snowing a lot in Glasgow, though I was 21 when I left Scotland. Still, that winter was apparently one of the worst on record. Love the picture and it makes me quite nostalgic.

Cheers,
serabash
One of my memories of George Square is in the early 70s.I was a trainee hairstylist in Telfers in Miller St and at that time there were a lot of bomb scares and everytime Telfers had one we would have to take all the clients with their hair in rollers or perm curlers or tints to the assembly point in George Square. ohmy.gif Clients with treatment at a crucial point were taken round to a salon in Garth st off Glassford st to continue their perm or tint.It must have seemed strange to the rest of the public to see all these women in gowns and roller sitting in George Square no matter the weather. :
glasgow lass
laugh.gif laugh.gif very funny sera, sounds like something out of Monty Python lol.
serabash
Aye Glasgow Lass if it happened today it would be all over youtube laugh.gif laugh.gif
M G M
Not so quiet now is it.............................. biggrin.gif
M G M
sorry I double clicked upload.................... huh.gif
Guvinboay
QUOTE (CELTCHIC67 @ 10th Oct 2007, 01:05pm) *
Here is an old photo of George Square (CIRCA 1960)
IT is the 528 & 530 rasc remembrance day parade.
My grandfather Tommy Walker is marching in them.

Marching in the wet on a November day in the 60s is my only vivid memory of "German Gordie Square"
PatBreslin
We used to buy hauf a punna maize in the pet shop and go down George Square to feed the doos. While one of us was doing this another would throw his jumper over the unsuspectng pigeon and we'd run off back to the Toonheid and stick the thing on our improvised Dookit.
The theory was that after a week familiarising themselves with their new surroundings they would come back when released. Well they didn't. Despite eating so much maize that we were forced to steal the stuff for them.
When I think back it could be that they were so overfed that they just dropped out of the air from exhaustion after a few hundred yards.
We also could never understand why the run back to the Toonheid was the precise moment they chose to relieve themselves while up one of our jumpers.
Poor wee doos.
Scots Kiwi Lass
Hilarious post, Pat. I did enjoy it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.